• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Racism, regionalism, religious bias and plain stupidity in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Aishwarya Rai an Indian beauty, not Diana Hayden: Tripura CM Biplab Deb

Barely days after kicking up a storm with his remark that Internet existed even in the days of Mahabharata, Tripura chief minister Biplab Deb on Thursday said Diana Hayden doesn’t represent Indian beauty, only Aishwarya Rai does. Claiming that the decision to award Miss World and Miss Universe titles to Indian women five years in a row was market-driven, Deb said only Aishwarya Rai was a quintessential representative of Indian beauty.

Speaking at a design workshop in Agartala, Deb said, “Indian beauty should ideally look like Goddesses Lakshmi and Saraswati. Diana Hayden did not deserve to win the Miss World crown. Actually, it was part of a fixed plan which was hatched keeping in mind the interests of the international market. Aishwarya Rai’s victory was well deserved as she represents the quintessential Indian woman.

“Indian women did not use cosmetics or shampoo. We washed our hair with ‘methi’ water to prevent hair fall and bathed with mud. Beauty contest organisers are international marketing mafia that tried to capture a market of 125 crore Indians with their move,” Deb said, adding that Indian women no longer win international beauty contests as organisers have already captured the market.

https://beautypageants.indiatimes.c...ripura-cm-biplab-deb/articleshow/63935775.cms

Diana Hayden is an Indian, just as Aishwarya Rai is an Indian.

Last edited:
Maybe we can start with the choice quotes of Laloo Yadav, darling of the secularists of India....

Vanakkam,

Aishwarya ji or Diana ji all were well-deserved pageant winners of their time, and the judges were never wrong. Both of them became spokesperson to many charitable causes and until now continue to amaze us with their eloquence and commitments to charity.

I read few news write-ups about this particular CM's statements and people were talking about his preferences and standards of beauty. Beauty indeed lies in the eyes of the beholder, but one must make no rooms for biases blurring the view of the eyes. In this particular case, it is all about who has the lighter skin tone...will be considered beauty. This is definitely flawed definition of what is beautiful and what is not.

It happens everywhere in the world, and not only in India. So many girls and boys are having low self-esteem due to believing these flawed ideals of being beautiful and handsome or macho. So many people are suffering eating disorders, going on crazy diets, having addiction to aesthetic surgeries, taking steroids to build muscles, just because they believe they are not beautiful or not fitting to the accepted norms of being beautiful and macho. Indeed sad to see or hear about these plights of these people to achieve perfection. :tsk:

It happens everywhere in the world, and not only in India. So many girls and boys are having low self-esteem due to believing these flawed ideals of being beautiful and handsome or macho. So many people are suffering eating disorders, going on crazy diets, having addiction to aesthetic surgeries, taking steroids to build muscles, just because they believe they are not beautiful or not fitting to the accepted norms of being beautiful and macho. Indeed sad to see or hear about these plights of these people to achieve perfection. :tsk:

Well...even Gods are described to be good looking and powerful with a stride of a Lion..eyes like a lotus petals etc.

Then goddesses are described to beautiful..lips as red as a ripe pomegranate..small waists and big hips and body bends forward becos of Pamela Anderson's sized breasts..its all in the Sahasranamams.

Name me one God/Avatar who was ugly?
No one!LOL

Well...even Gods are described to be good looking and powerful with a stride of a Lion..eyes like a lotus petals etc.

Then goddesses are described to beautiful..lips as red as a ripe pomegranate..small waists and big hips and body bends forward becos of Pamela Anderson's sized breasts..its all in the Sahasranamams.

No one!LOL

Vanakkam,

Yes, sahasranamams does describe various facets of the deity. These sahasranamams are said to bestow many blessings if recited. I do feel that all the praises in were meant to make the bhaktas remember the Gods that they worship better, so mostly all the positive and beautiful attributes were highlighted. So far, I have heard only nice things being said on sahasranamams.

In dhyana slokas and Gayatri mantras for various deities, only praises were said. In some dhyanas even if ,a not so nice attribute of a deity mentioned, the other lines in that dhayanas will only be in praise mode. For e.g. Lord Shani gayatri:-

Om Kaakadhwajaaya Vidmahae Khadga Hastaaya Dheemahi,
Tanno Mandah Prachodayaat.

Meaning:
I meditate upon the one with a crow in his flag and think of that god with a sword in his hand;
Let that slow moving one illumine my intellect.

But the CM was saying:-

"Even Dayna Hayden got it (the Miss World title). See, everyone is laughing. Tell me, was Diana Hayden supposed to get it? Aishwarya Rai got it. That's justified, because she carries the essence of the beauty of Indian women. Indian beauty is all about Goddess Laxmi, Goddess Saraswati... Diana Hayden does not fit to that class of beauty," he said. Then he added a disclaimer - "I am not opposing her though". source: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/diana-hayden-miss-world-everyone-is-laughing-tripura-chief-minister-biplab-deb-1843489

This is clearly biased and flawed idea of what beauty is. It is all because of the colour issue. I think there is so much to do in a state and for the betterment of the state than giving comments on women like this.

No one knows what Goddesses of hindu mythology looked like. Most have prints of Raja Ravi Varmas" paintings or think of some sculptures in temples which are imagination of

sculptors.Poets may also use generous language to describe them.We common folk get carried away by these depictions.If the Goddesses were ordinary looking which possibly

they could be, we may not worship them at all.LOL

No one!LOL

So what? In Indian mythology, the Gods and goddesses are always subservient to the Rishis. Name one Rishi who was not ugly? (except Chyavana, but he was helped by the Ashwins).

There is nothing hypocritical in describing and appreciating physical beauty of women. It is one of the Vibhoothis of lord Krishna, that is found in women..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back