• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Raagas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will somebody enrich us on the goodness and advantages of singing certain Carnatic raagas for our well-being?

Your help will be greatly appreciated...!

Ms Lakshmi,

I just listen and enjoy carnatic music. I always enjoy the following song of Thiagayya sung by Balamurali Krishna.

YouTube - Endaro Mahanubhavulu

I am addicted to this song.

Please try at your end also

All the best

namaskaaram: a lovely topic for discussion! listening to music with some awareness helps a lot to gently persuade the listener through moods, even provide some healing and therapeutic effects to the mind and thereby the body -- i do firmly believe so, and keep reconfirming that blissful effect of music now and then! start the day, for eg., with a well rendered bilahari (or, thilak kambhoj, if you may) and bhoopalam to follow (bhoopalam and then bilahari, if you so choose): you have a cheerful, peaceful, at the same time, brisk start for the morning/the day. do listen to a little bit of music at short breaks right through the day, amidst your activities, choosing from raaga's and vocal or instrumental renderings to suit your moods and requirements (including all types and forms of music, as per your own perceptive skills and tastes -- all music has great power; i talk of indian classical, mainly carnatic, because of the intimacy i have with that kind of music over the years, though i listen to and like other forms, too): and, see the effect, unfailing, rewarding! when you want to contain some ecstasy, not immediately share the joy of a great news received for some reason, try gowrimanohari or keervani: and, when you are in good company, try kadanakuthoohalam and kundalavarali. relax in the evenings with mohanam (flute, nagaswaram, and wind instruments ideal!), saramathy followed by kapi and behag and sindhubhairavi......there is an ocean out there. i shall be grateful for more discussions on this: i have written the few lines, thoughts, above based on my experience, somewhat corroborated by views from a small band of music loving friends (some of them totally devoted to music - listening with missionary zeal!)...i am also trying to do some "research" at my own level, on the combination of music with meditation, reiki, simple chanting of sloka's and some mantra's: i see great potential in all this. i am grateful to the friends who initiated this discussion (Sri/Smt IraLakshmy and Sri/Smt RVR) -- rj

ragaas and music

While "entharomahanubhavulu......" is definitely a royal rich one, whenever i have low mood, I sing to myself, the semi classical - "Karpagavalli un porpadangal..."

The line ...."Enintha mounam amma ... ezhai enakkarula ......" literally melts me.

This song and similar songs in tamil films of early times serve the purpose of learning raagas for beginners, as the lines themselves contain the name of raaga in some way, and exhibit the basic identity of the raaga.This one is an exemplary raagamaalika.

Music, whatever be it , is a healing to wounded minds, and booster and enhancer for normal minds if used in proper way.

Another one I relish is " Yaaro, Ivar Yaaro, Enna pero ....."

Music--- sometimes appeals to me as "move sick" giving them soothing comfort.

Greetings.

Raaga's - and, Lyrics: Music

namaskarams: the choice of raagams and the way the rendering just merges with the spirit of the music overall, stand out in the raagamalika pieces, 'karpakavalli nin...', theeratha vilayattu pillai...' and 'chinnanchirukiliye kannamma....', and, the bhairavi kruthi 'yaaro evar yaaro...' is so apt in that rendering that one cannot imagine 'yaaro evar yaaro...' in any other raagam! apart from 'yenintha maunamamma ezhai enakkiranga..' in anandabhairavi, listen with closed eyes to the line ' ranjaniye rakshippay, kenjukirenamma...': if one has not melted yet, one would, now! DKP-ammal's music will ring true and in all majesty and charm for many centuries to come. among some lyrics-raagam combinations that come to mind in more recent times, are 'manathirkuganthathu murukanin roopam...' (sindhubhairavi), and 'irakkam varamal ponathenna karanam...'(behag). music, indeed, is an ocean, unfathomable! -- rj.

namaskarams: the choice of raagams and the way the rendering just merges with the spirit of the music overall, stand out in the raagamalika pieces, 'karpakavalli nin...', theeratha vilayattu pillai...' and 'chinnanchirukiliye kannamma....', and, the bhairavi kruthi 'yaaro evar yaaro...' is so apt in that rendering that one cannot imagine 'yaaro evar yaaro...' in any other raagam! apart from 'yenintha maunamamma ezhai enakkiranga..' in anandabhairavi, listen with closed eyes to the line ' ranjaniye rakshippay, kenjukirenamma...': if one has not melted yet, one would, now! DKP-ammal's music will ring true and in all majesty and charm for many centuries to come. among some lyrics-raagam combinations that come to mind in more recent times, are 'manathirkuganthathu murukanin roopam...' (sindhubhairavi), and 'irakkam varamal ponathenna karanam...'(behag). music, indeed, is an ocean, unfathomable! -- rj.

Sri RVR,Sri rajuvish,

It was just what came at that moment I named a few songs.

Can anybody say which pearl / bead is better in a mala with numerous pearls?
Will it not be audacious to judge music as a whole. But still, we do as per ur personal perceptions. Any music is just pleasing. A wonderful gift by God, to make this world a place to enjoy.

As Sri Jesudas sings in a song to Sri Mookambikai, "Ethanai janmam eduthaalum ....."

Greetings.

Will somebody enrich us on the goodness and advantages of singing certain Carnatic raagas for our well-being?

Your help will be greatly appreciated...!

Sow.Iralakshmi,

Few of our learned members have expressed their opinions in this thread. But, is there any one 'healthy food' amoung the 'healthy food selection' is particularly good for promoting health? All the raagas are good; all the songs are good. Most soft melodies improves our mood and our psychological well-being.

Cheers!

here goes some info regarding the Ragasnd their effect and using them for healing.

Raga Chikitsa, an extinct sanskrit treatise, as its name implies dealt with curative ragas and suggested specific ragas with specific therapeutic and mood enhancing characteristics suggested to be used in clinical settings are still more to be tested and validated. (Varadalakshmi, 1948), (Sairam, 2005). (Sairam, 2006) in his study on designing training methods for the mentally retarded (MR) children prescribed baseline rules for treating MR children as - (1) Beta music with rapid fire orchestral rhythms to activate participation and anger management, to gear up physiological activities and alertness in mind, (2) Alpha music without rhythms to induce relaxation and (3) repeated rhythmic experience to regulate the wavering emotions and to bring regularity by his experimental observations during music therapy sessions with mentally retarded children.
A modified version of the earlier documented raga chikitsa approach evolved by the author using karnatik ragas for music therapy intervention could be used in clinical set ups ( Sumathy Sundar, 2006) catering to the individual needs of the clients, taking into consideration, factors like music preferences, the listening pattern, the socio-economic background and the level of exposure to classical music. The raga-based approach broadly involves application of musical pieces with a specific emphasis on swara patterns, embellishments and appropriate rhythms. This approach being both melodic and rhythm depends on the intended music function and the therapeutic objective identified. Raga-s with swara-s having short or long intervals and different embellishments, could be chosen with the appropriate slow, medium or fast tempo, with or without technical virtuosity.
The applications would vary for different music functions identified a) audio analgesic, anxiolytic or sedative b) to be stimulating and energizing c) to be an active focus of attention etc.

for more info visit:Title here!

Last edited:
as far as i know Abogi has got effect to increase the appetite. Singing or engrossed listening of Raga Bhairavi( Meaning=Shakti - Consort of Shiva or Bhairva) has been found to uproot the diseases of kapha dosha e.g. asthma, chronic cold, cough, tuberculosis, some of the sinus and chest related problems etc. Raga Asavari is effective in eliminating the impurities of blood and related diseases. Raga Malhar pacifies anger, excessive mental excitements and mental instability. Raga Saurat and raga Jaijaivanti have also been found effective in curing mental disorders and calming the mind. Raga Hindola helps sharpening the memory and focussing mental concentration. It has been proved effective in curing liver ailments...

As far from my limits the Ragas will affect or influence the Chakras of our body in healing the diseases as we know, any disease is the deviation or abnormality in the chakras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back