• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Query regarding madisar during wedding

I have seen palghat Iyers wearing bottu on both sides of the maangalyam/s
My question is if there is such a custom of changing to two madisars - one yellow and one arakku ?

Only one madisār in Iyer weddings, for māngalyadhāraNam.

The basic thirumāngalyam has two main pieces, embossed in a specific way, as per the family tradition and four bead like pieces, one on each side of the main piece.

Some add two coins and/or two pavazhams also (to show their wealth??).

Thank you.
In our family (Iyer) we also have one madisar only as generally seen in Iyer weddings.
But I had seen this particular wedding and was told that some Palghat Iyer families have this tradition of first wearing yellow madisar (manjal) and after that arakku madisar. Could anyone tell the reason behind this and if this is an aspect that has been abbreviated in modern times due to time constraints?

Thank you.
In our family (Iyer) we also have one madisar only as generally seen in Iyer weddings.
But I had seen this particular wedding and was told that some Palghat Iyer families have this tradition of first wearing yellow madisar (manjal) and after that arakku madisar. Could anyone tell the reason behind this and if this is an aspect that has been abbreviated in modern times due to time constraints?
As per Iyer tradition there is only one madisar.
Madisar is only for married people so before the mangalayadharanam there is no madisar. After the preliminary marriage formalities the muhurtha pattu and "koora podavai" which is arrack red color symbolizing auspecious is worn in madisar and the groom who is sitting is asked to see the bride arriving in madisar.
Also people will not eat by wearing madisar and asked to change but today that is not strictly followed.

Namaskaram,
I would like to know if anyone in this community is aware of the custom of the bride wearing two madisars during the wedding:
the first one in yellow, manjal for tying bottu and chain
Smoothly second one in arakku/red for tying the mangalyadharanam
I have seen this in a friend's wedding (Iyer)
Thank you,
Lakshmi
I had a question regarding colour of the madisar sari and the community was nice enough to give me a reply. As my daughters marriage was an intercaste one where the groon side wear yellow I bought mustard madisar with pink border and tied it in iyer style. They were pleased and so we're we. Fortunately everything went smoothly and she is leading a happy life.

As my daughters marriage was an intercaste one where the groon side wear yellow I bought mustard madisar with pink border and tied it in iyer style
As said by the member Mala ashok the marriage you had attended might be between palakkad Iyer and telugu brahmin because in telugu only thry have two mangalya dharanam as you said bottu and another mangal suthra and the ceremony or costume may be of iyers style and hence there are two madisars may be i presume

as shared with me by a relative who belong to Iyers from Thirunelveli district, there is a custom of wearing yellow madisar during mangalyadharanam for tying the thirumangalyam with yellow thread; after that wearing arakku madisar bottu with yellow thread is tied and then gold chain; so there will be getti melam three times; as she explained this is common in with Iyers in Thirunelveli district and Palghat

as shared with me by a relative who belong to Iyers from Thirunelveli district, there is a custom of wearing yellow madisar during mangalyadharanam for tying the thirumangalyam with yellow thread; after that wearing arakku madisar bottu with yellow thread is tied and then gold chain; so there will be getti melam three times; as she explained this is common in with Iyers in Thirunelveli district and Palghat
I am from Tirunelveli district and i have attended my chittis and mamas when both the families are from Tirunelveli there was only one madisar but it need not be arakku but if any colour and in our gereration as we moved out to Chennai and marriages occured between other districts and hence the only arakku madisar is used.

Recently my daughter in law wanted a different colour from arakku as it is getting bored to see with everyone i said ok as it is not must with Tirunelveli district though they belong to Kumbakonam. I feel nowadays youngsters due to many photo shoot and video wanted to tie different madisar too after the mangalya dharanam ritual buying arakku too . Even in childhood i have seen my mother"s madisar which is ink blue with arakku border.

May be in Palghar i do not know

Madisar method started as a convenient way to remove the sari if the sage's jut catches fire - either by natural hazard or the agni in the earthern pot aupasana pot got tipped and the hut catches fire. Later this method was reduced to only on marriage occasion. It is both for providing air circulation and quick removal. Pancha Gachacham also was created like that. With 9 yards sari, it also served as a nightly cover for the woman. Anyway, the customs when they are retained, the purposes are never explained for the next generation and eventually only the rituals remain without the purpose. For example, camphor lightening is to kill germs from coughing (Ayurveda) in crowded close quarters, tulsi-water with krambu(cloves) for getting viruses etc., were Ayurveda in nature but incorporated to make them pious so that people can follow it in temples; donation to help poor, naivedyam(pongal etc) to share with the poor members of the society and so on. So, our culture, religion and hygienic principles were all bundled together. As to the color of the saris, only when the natural colors were augmented by synthetic colors, the dark red (Arakku etc) came. The easiest available silk saris had the color and became a norm. Religion never has dictated any thing. It is the time, advancement of technology etc., had created the illusions that some thing should be done according to Sastra when no document can show that. Even Maha Vishnu wanted to kill silk worms to get his Peethambaram is unthinkable. In North India, Krishna wears most modern dress. All right, what is the conclusion. What ever is convenient, wear it. Pyjama Kurta is the Muslim avatar and if that is best suited so be it. No God will punish us as Krishna says” I have given you intelligence and free will” use it. You are responsible for your actions and I do not dictate.

“Karmanyeva Atikaram Asthe”. Religion and philosophy are two different things and leave it to God.

Latest ads

Back