• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pure vegetarian diet increases risk of cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
here2where - Welcome to the TB Forum.

The Indian Express story is meant to sensationalize the readers.

The meat industry have ulterior motive to promote their 'products' by taking a serious research study and do a convolution of it for self serving purposes.

Here is the original research article for those who have scientific interest and background.

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/03/09/molbev.msw049.full.pdf+html

The original paper just discusses that people's genetic make up has evolved based on diet and that population with this genetic variation are best to keep omega6:eek:mega3 ratio at 1:1 in comparison to standard Western diet.

In our diet (western influenced) have enormously increased the Omega 6 fatty acids compared to Omega 3 which causes something called inflammation. This in turn can promote various types of diseases.

Increasing Omega 3 in our diet while limiting our overall intake of oils and fats is a better way for longevity for vegans and vegetarians.

Flax seeds, walnuts, Chia seeds to name a few have rich Omega 3 content.

This is not my field but wanted to get to the source to see if there is any truth to the Indian Express story. I had this research article (cited above) interpreted by one of my friends who is an expert in the field.

The doubt can be clarified if Cancer Institutes provide statistics on number of such cases from both sides - Veg. and Non-Veg.

here2where - Welcome to the TB Forum.

The Indian Express story is meant to sensationalize the readers.

The meat industry have ulterior motive to promote their 'products' by taking a serious research study and do a convolution of it for self serving purposes.

Here is the original research article for those who have scientific interest and background.

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/03/09/molbev.msw049.full.pdf+html

The original paper just discusses that people's genetic make up has evolved based on diet and that population with this genetic variation are best to keep omega6:eek:mega3 ratio at 1:1 in comparison to standard Western diet.

In our diet (western influenced) have enormously increased the Omega 6 fatty acids compared to Omega 3 which causes something called inflammation. This in turn can promote various types of diseases.

Increasing Omega 3 in our diet while limiting our overall intake of oils and fats is a better way for longevity for vegans and vegetarians.

Flax seeds, walnuts, Chia seeds to name a few have rich Omega 3 content.

This is not my field but wanted to get to the source to see if there is any truth to the Indian Express story. I had this research article (cited above) interpreted by one of my friends who is an expert in the field.

Good analysis!

Here goes a comparison of Omega 6 & Omega 3 content of various vegetable oils & food! Let us increase Omega 3!

efacontentoils.png

http://chriskresser.com/how-too-much-omega-6-and-not-enough-omega-3-is-making-us-sick/

The doubt can be clarified if Cancer Institutes provide statistics on number of such cases from both sides - Veg. and Non-Veg.

There is no doubt about the actual study, the news report sensationalized and over-simplified the findings. In that sense there are no real issues with Veg diet.

Statistical studies are very expensive to conduct to rule out and isolate factors. Even a controlled human trial for proving that a given drug does not cause cancer can cost about 100 million dollars (in order to have statistically accurate results).

However there is a study done in England relatively recently about importance of Veggies and fruits.

Dr. Oyebode and her team from UCL (University College London) analyzed lifestyle data from annual national health surveys for England between 2001 and 2008. The data of more than 65,000 randomly selected people aged 35 and over went into the study.

The researchers worked out what effect fruit and vegetable intake had on the respondents' risk of death. They found that people who ate at least seven portions a day had a 42% lower risk of death from all causes.

The seven-a-day group specifically also had a 31% lower risk of death caused by heart disease

and stroke , and a 25% lower risk of death from cancer .

Here is a reference to online publication that was available on March 31, 2014

Click on the link below to read the article

http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2014/03/03/jech-2013-203500.full

Timely topic.

I read online that flaxseed and chia seed produce omega 3 ALA that cannot be digested in the human body. Perhaps "keerai" is the solution then...?

Again, for cooking oils, I read that coconut oil is the best oil.

Lots of confusion abound.

Timely topic.

I read online that flaxseed and chia seed produce omega 3 ALA that cannot be digested in the human body. Perhaps "keerai" is the solution then...?

Again, for cooking oils, I read that coconut oil is the best oil.

Lots of confusion abound.

Does consumption of coconut increase life expectancy as in Kerala which has highest life expectancy amongst all states?

Does consumption of coconut increase life expectancy as in Kerala which has highest life expectancy amongst all states?

I wouldnt know, but earlier I had posted a video of Dr. Hegde (padmabhushan & a cardiologist) who opines that coconut oil is the best. Apparently it is the only food that could be digested by an infant. And he says that increase of cholesterol is not an alarming factor.

I did an experiment for 3 months or so by using coconut oil, and my cholesterol levels did increase. But reflecting on it now, I feel that for a disease to strike coconut oil may not be the factor but lifestyle could be - time of eating, quantity and quality of the food and the amount of chewing we do, the amount of exercise, amount of sleep, state of mind (whether stressed or not) etc.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/vegetarian-diet-does-not-increase-161100877.html

[h=1]Vegetarian diet does NOT increase cancer risk: Researchers clarify[/h]

Shruti Chakraborty

The Indian Express

6 April 2016

Recently, a news report stating that a vegetarian diet can lead to increase in risk of colon cancer went viral. The story, published by news agencies was widely picked up by media organisations (including this one), leading to people questioning the diktat offered by doctors, that a vegetarian diet actually helps reduce cancer risks. But researchers Kumar Kothapalli, J Thomas Brenna and Kalpana Joshi (who are a subset of authors of the widely quoted study) have called this a "misinterpretation of our findings".
The reports on the new study — that was published in Molecular Biology and Evolution — have said that "scientists found evidence that a vegetarian diet has led to a mutation that may make people more susceptible to inflammation, and by association, increased risk of heart disease and colon cancer". Now, this is where the details really matter. The researchers used reference data from the 1000 Genomes Project, to provide evidence that the vegetarian diet, over many generations, may have driven the higher frequency of a mutation — called rs66698963 and found in the FADS2 gene — among the Indian population.
According to Kothapalli and his colleagues, "Simply put, our paper draws attention to possible vulnerability to chronic disease of persons descended from traditional vegetarianism when substituting some recently available vegetarian cooking oils for traditional vegetarian foods. It does not suggest that all vegetarian diets are unhealthy; on the contrary it suggests that traditional foods are most healthy."
What has happened is this: Over thousands of generations, because of the rs66698963 gene mutation especially in a vegetarian-heavy populace like India, there has been an increase in the body's ability to automatically convert vegetable-based Omega-6 fatty acids (precursors) to the biologically active animal omega-6 fatty acids (products) that are absolutely required for many normal body functions.
Also see: Rejig meals with crunchy, colourful vegetables and fruits
But because of changing food patterns, and erstwhile vegetarians shifting to consumption of new products (such as certain vegetable oils) that are rich in Omega-6 fatty acids and as well as inclusion of a non-vegetarian diet, the composition of food intake into the body has changed. This has led to an alarming rise of Omega-6 fatty acids in the human diet. "An imbalance in Omega-6 suppresses Omega-3 functions and higher Omega-6 is generally regarded to lead to a more proinflammatory condition. Inflammation is implicated in heart disease and cancer risk and severity," say the researchers, in an email statement to IndianExpress.com.
The study's findings indicate that, on average, vegetarians are more efficient at making the Omega-6 arachidonic acid, and therefore many Indians with ancestry that long emphasised vegetarianism may be at increased risk for maintaining harmful levels of arachidonic acid, compared to omnivorous populations. In fact, this study is not the first to raise a concern around increase of Omega-6 in the diet from such vegetable oils. Kothapalli and his colleagues refer to the findings in the 1990s by eminent biochemical nutritionist Dr Ghafoorunissa, from the National Institute of Nutrition in Hyderabad, in their study.
Also see: Diet and workout tips to stay fit in your 20s
"We cite a paper in our study showing omega-6 to omega-3 balance in India to be = 20:1, whereas, we evolved by eating closer to omega-6 to omega-3 (1:1 ratio) and lower in overall omegas. When omega-6 are very high they suppress the metabolism of omega-3, so maintaining a balanced omega-6 and omega-3 in the diet is very important," they say.
What one needs to conclude from this is that a vegetarian diet does not cause cancer, but it does suggest that certain ancestrally vegetarian populations like Indians would benefit from staying away from certain vegetables and products that are rich in Omega-6. One way to do that would be to replace vegetable oils with low Omega-6 oils like olive oil, mustard oil and even moderate amounts of the traditional ghee; and avoid canola oil, soybean oil, safflower oil and corn oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back