• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Price rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
more ministers deserve the treatment meted out to the Agri.

Alwan

If you kill all 'aam aadmi' you do not have to seek vote. Maybe that is the agenda. The funny thing is there are many writers who harangue that it is not the democratic way for the Sardarji. His action is likened to some road rage, tiff with a bribe monger, or even fighting with a robber! Whither democracy? Not one reporter attempted to analyze about the tsunamic price rise. Truly our press is not free. The so called 'free press' is shackled by and to power brokers.

If you kill all 'aam aadmi' you do not have to seek vote. Maybe that is the agenda. The funny thing is there are many writers who harangue that it is not the democratic way for the Sardarji. His action is likened to some road rage, tiff with a bribe monger, or even fighting with a robber! Whither democracy? Not one reporter attempted to analyze about the tsunamic price rise. Truly our press is not free. The so called 'free press' is shackled by and to power brokers.

Shri iyya,

The difficulties due to the price rise are felt maximum by old pensioners (myself, an example) and perhaps by the BPL people, some of them at least. Daily wage earners like coolies, painters, construction workers etc., cover up inflation with higher daily wages; a good floor-tile-layer demands up to Rs. 750/= per day here, a good mason 500-600, even an odd-job man has to be paid minimum 550. The nouveau middle class especially the IT sector people continue to be in cloud nine.

Naxalites are being systematically exterminated. So the message seems loud and clear—work, work, work and earn, till you end your sojourn, here on this earth!

Yes. There never was and will never be that each will think of the others. BPL people are starving and millions of tonnes of food grains are under benign neglect. They do not think of the poor people nor of the rotting food grains; because, they ARE ALL BUSY. You know they refused to obey to court's advice to distribute the rotting grains. And mocking at the BPL a minister said they can live with Rs.32 a day. Are these not causes for giving birth to negative forces?

Dear Sir!

What about people like US who do not even have pension???

The ever increasing prices of grocery, vegetables and

the eternal increase in the medical expenditure,

(dental, mental, nasal, optical...)

the compulsion to keep up the acts of charity,

visiting people and places,

presenting for weddings and ceremonies,

Unable to work for earning and

unable to cut down in the budget-

the ends of which do not even meet-

forget their overlapping!!!

Shri iyya,

The difficulties due to the price rise are felt maximum by old pensioners (myself, an example) and perhaps by the BPL people, some of them at least. Daily wage earners like coolies, painters, construction workers etc., cover up inflation with higher daily wages; a good floor-tile-layer demands up to Rs. 750/= per day here, a good mason 500-600, even an odd-job man has to be paid minimum 550. The nouveau middle class especially the IT sector people continue to be in cloud nine.

Naxalites are being systematically exterminated. So the message seems loud and clear—work, work, work and earn, till you end your sojourn, here on this earth!

Dear Sir!

What about people like US who do not even have pension???

The ever increasing prices of grocery, vegetables and

the eternal increase in the medical expenditure,

(dental, mental, nasal, optical...)

the compulsion to keep up the acts of charity,

visiting people and places,

presenting for weddings and ceremonies,

Unable to work for earning and

unable to cut down in the budget-

the ends of which do not even meet-

forget their overlapping!!!

Smt. VR,

I hope your husband is a pensioner; if he is not, and you don't have sons supporting you, then your plight will be very difficult, of course. And when I wrote "pensioners", I meant both husband and wife living off the pension of one out of the pair.

Of course, it is the govt's duty to control the prices. The prices have skyrocketed when you hear a roadside political speech blast, the govt is thinking of forming a committee and all the money-making members who had stealthily tee-ed up the prices, would be in the committee to justify the 'boon' in prices. The retailers prompted by the masters would mark down a marginal fall. These are all very familiar features in 'aam aadmi's' mind. Having said that, 'aam aadmi' should also restrain his spending and do away with meaningless expenses. If aam aadmi that is, those APL can show that uniformity in shunning avoidable spending, that may serve as a deterrent. But, alas, we are in competition with our neighbour. Decades before the pharmaceutical industry argued that decontrolling the drug prices would make them cheaper. The govt "enthusiastically" complied with. Now the prices have gone up to heaven themselves leaving the patients groaning with complaints and moaning his inability to buy the drugs. Be that as it may, some people who have been to the West, say you take half 'aspirin' in the US for relief whereas here you have to take 2/3 for the same relief! You can show only disparities. But our govt sickens you more.

Last edited:
Shri iyya,

dear sir !
my wife is telling no use of talking about price rise.after drowning why to bother about depth.
only persons affected persons are middle income group.everybody is passing on the burden to end user..builder will pass on the rise to buyer(not affected by increased wage of mason&chitalu),hotel management rise their price of food item &lodging. as rightly said IT person are in their cloud nine.my sons and daughter who are in foreign country say India is becoming developed country in terms of prices of commodities and not on other aspects.pension person might have already finished their responsibility. But what about the budding new generation. we have to say THE SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST is to be remembered
good luck
guruvayurappan

Dear Sir,
Neither I nor my husband is a pensioner.
Children support us . Or else how can we live at our age,
in this age, under these circumstances???

Smt. VR,

I hope your husband is a pensioner; if he is not, and you don't have sons supporting you, then your plight will be very difficult, of course. And when I wrote "pensioners", I meant both husband and wife living off the pension of one out of the pair.

Dear Sir,
Neither I nor my husband is a pensioner.
Children support us . Or else how can we live at our age,
in this age, under these circumstances???
dear friends !
my heart goes with so many people like you.i told sri.sangom that atleast we pensioners finished our commitment and pitied about budding generation.but your reply made me to think of people not having pension &children to support.even the Government old age pension is adistant dream for so many especially for forward community.
good luck
guruvayurappan

dear iyyarooraan !
wait FDI is being raised and trying to bring walmart,tesco etc for retail business .all will equally be put in to distress condition .more unemployment &people will come to bazaar and loot the shops.India will face the same situation prevailing in US,UK etc.this is condition the biggest democracy of the world.

personally, not sure how the fdi into retail going to work out.

the good points: prices for the consumers usually fall, due to efficiency of scale. right now there are atleast, i think, a couple, if not more, middle men between the manufacturer and the final retailer, each with his own margin, and also the time lag.

time lag is important issue for perishables. i have heard somewhere that 30 -50% ofour seasonal fruits and vegetables rot and thrown away. this because we do not have good refrigeration system and canning industry.

for example: in usa orange may be seasonal, fresh oranges grown in the usa are available november thru february, from florida or california. anything that is not sellable fresh, goes into the juice pulp industry, and comes out as frozen orange available throughout the year. also, there are canned oranges for baking and cooking. orange skins are dried and made into condiments and additives to chinese food. so not much is wasted.

same story for apples, pomogranates and such.

with the big players, the farmers have a chance of getting higher costs. as otherwise the farmer would stop selling the product to the big guy. it might be interesting to find out, how macdonald's long term contract with gujarat farmers, to grow potatoes exclusively for their french fries, is working out. that could be the model which the fdi retailers follow.

there was a similar hue and cry, when reliance, spencers or nilgiris started their supermarkets. but, i find that most of these are staffed more than adequately, and there is a class of people who go there, and who find it more convivial than the street corner grocery.

india is an increasingly consumer market, and i think, the entry of fdi into retail, will ultimately bring down or stabilize the prices, for the consumer. does not mean i am going to like walmart. but their prices are still below and they have a huge following in the usa.

though they got kicked out in germany, i think. :)

..........i told sri.sangom that atleast we pensioners finished our commitment and pitied about budding generation.but your reply made me to think of people not having pension &children to support.even the Government old age pension is adistant dream for so many especially for forward community.........
One government doctor was our family friend in our village. He was a qualified RMP (registered medical practitioner -

a diploma course) He educated his four fair and beautiful daughters only up to SSLC but his sons in law were an auditor,

two government servants and doctor! I find out the reason now.... The auditors and doctors do not have retirement age

and the government servants get their pension! தீர்க்கதரிசி!

raji,

govt pensions are fixed. are they not? do they keep pace with current inflation? is the real inflation much higher than what is acknowledged by the govt? is not any increases based on inflation, there is a deductible, and maximum? and that based on fudged figures?

i agree that old folks have few discretionary expenses. if my mil is an example, the biggest expense, for a 79 year old lady living alone, with decent health for her age, is medical expenses. even then she has to ask her son once in a while...things were different when fil was alive.. heavy subsidies needed.

you are right in one thing. even i dont understand this craze for longer life. why? a healthy life, with pleasures of youth, parenthood and discharge duties of the same, should be good enough for life completion. just the same laws that govern the birds and the bees.

only us humans, are cursed with பாசம். that பாசம் alone the cause for our reluctance to 'let go' of our children, that பாசம் alone the cause for our expectations of grand children... and the list keeps never ending.

i think, when we learn to stop our desires, that is when we get released out of this ப்ரரப்தம்ஸ்.

dear raji, you know what my desire is..and i pray that i have the courage..at some point, when given the options by the doctor, and i know this comes sooner or later, the courage, to deny any further medical relief, request for palliative care from the pain, and move on.

i think i have had a good innings here on this earth!!

raji,

govt pensions are fixed. are they not? do they keep pace with current inflation? is the real inflation much higher than what is acknowledged by the govt? is not any increases based on inflation, there is a deductible, and maximum? and that based on fudged figures?

Dear K, RR,

Excuse me for intruding.

GOI pensions are the most attractive; an under-secretary now will get around Rs.40,000/= p.m. as pension + Dearness Relief. Secretaies might get much more and if they can pull one of the many strings, a sinecure till 70 or 75 also.

State Govts., are close behind and are not bad. A deputy collector in TN who retired more than 30 years ago gets close to Rs.20,000/=p.m. Kerala is of course slightly behind, but not by much. Chidambaram has a long-standing grudge towards RBI and when he was the FM he has "frozen" the pension of RBI retirees on the basis of legal interpretations of our pension rules. Now we are fighting in court but do not know what the outcome will be.

Dearness Relief, the component of pension to neutralize inflation partly, is a small thing. We get two or three hundred rupees increase every six months.

i agree that old folks have few discretionary expenses. if my mil is an example, the biggest expense, for a 79 year old lady living alone, with decent health for her age, is medical expenses. even then she has to ask her son once in a while...things were different when fil was alive.. heavy subsidies needed.

you are right in one thing. even i dont understand this craze for longer life. why? a healthy life, with pleasures of youth, parenthood and discharge duties of the same, should be good enough for life completion. just the same laws that govern the birds and the bees.

only us humans, are cursed with பாசம். that பாசம் alone the cause for our reluctance to 'let go' of our children, that பாசம் alone the cause for our expectations of grand children... and the list keeps never ending.

i think, when we learn to stop our desires, that is when we get released out of this ப்ரரப்தம்ஸ்.

dear raji, you know what my desire is..and i pray that i have the courage..at some point, when given the options by the doctor, and i know this comes sooner or later, the courage, to deny any further medical relief, request for palliative care from the pain, and move on.

i think i have had a good innings here on this earth!!
Like some movies, the worst part of worldly life for many people, is the concluding part - old age. I pray that God grants your prayer. But it does not happen in many people's lives. Palliative care stage itself may be prolonged, even if one does not have much பாசம். We don't know at all, how difficult it is to take birth, but the way a new-born cries coming into this world, poetic imagination says it is a difficult job; quitting this world is also, imho, equally difficult, painful and prolonged, imho, at least for some.

Dear Shri.Sangom,
The monthly pension of a retired under-secretary,GOI cannot be Rs.40,000 plus Dearness relief.It may be around Rs.20,000 which will include
Dearness relief also.I retired in the rank of Director(equivalent to Dy.Secy) and my monthly pension including Dearness relief is just Rs.25,000pm.Retired Joint secretary,Additional Secretary and Secretary level officers get more monthly pension as compared to the other government servants.Dearness relief is increased half yearly on the basis of cost of living index.The latest pay commission has recommended that the Dearness Relief(whatever be the percentage of the Base pension amount)will continue only as DR.Earlier,if the DR percentage crosses 50% of base pension,DR upto 50% was treated as pension and added to the Base Pension.This privilege has been withdrawn on the basis of the recommendation of the latest Pay commission(which was accepted by the GOI).Mr.P.Chidambaram,a born rich man,has no sympathy for Government staff and other wage earners in other sectors too.
At one point of time,he succeeded in influencing late Mr.Rajiv Gandhi to introduce a system in civil Services similar to Defence.
Under this system,one has to enter either as an 'officer' or as ' other ranks'.No 'other rank' person can hope to become an officer in his entire service.Because of strong protest from Staff unions,this proposal was shelved.

Last edited:
.......... you know what my desire is..and i pray that i have the courage..at some point, when given the options by the doctor, and i know this comes sooner or later, the courage, to deny any further medical relief, request for palliative care from the pain, and move on............
Very touching post indeed, Sir! Every elderly person says 'யாருக்கும் கஷ்டம் கொடுக்காமப் போய்ச் சேரணம்!'

But how many are lucky to get the quick departure to Paramapadham?

For the benefit of the members who have not read this in the literature section.........

வரமா? சாபமா?

அரசனை ஒருமுறை தெனாலிராமன் வெறுப்பேற்ற,
அரசன் விதித்தானாம் அவனுக்கு மரண தண்டனை!

“எவ்விதத்தில் மரணத்தைத் தழுவுகிறாய்?”, என வினவ,
செவ்வனே அவன் கேட்டானாம் முதுமை தரும் மரணம்!

கதையில் கேட்கும்போது சிரிப்பை வரவழைப்பது, நடை
முறையில் வந்தால் எவ்வளவு கொடியதாய் இருக்கிறது!

முதுமையால் வரும் மரணம் நல்ல வரமா? சாபமா?
பொறுமையாய் யோசித்தால் மனக் கசப்பே மிஞ்சிவிடும்!

முதுமையை இரண்டாம் குழந்தைப் பருவம் என்கின்றாரே!
முதுமை குழந்தைப் பருவ இன்பங்களையா பெறுகிறது?

உடலின் மாற்றங்கள் குழந்தை போல மாறிடும்; நிஜமே!
உடனே தெரியாதபடி படிப் படியாய் வந்து சேர்ந்திடுமே!

எழுபதுகளில் வரும் நடையில் தடுமாற்றம்; பின்னர்,
எண்பதுகளில் கைகளில் ஊன்றுகோலுடன் நடமாட்டம்!

பல்லும் ஒவ்வொன்றாய் மாயமாய் மறைந்து – பேசும்
சொல்லும் மழலைபோலப் புரியாது போய்விடும்!

நடையும் மெதுவாக மறந்து, தவழும் சிசு போல
நடமாடும் நிலையும் ஒரு சிலருக்கு வந்துவிடும்!

பசித்தால் அழுது, கொஞ்சினால் குழவி சிரிப்பதுபோல்
பசித்தால் திணறுவதும் பேச்சுக்கு ஏங்குவதும் வந்திடும்!

இயற்கை உபாதைகள் தீர்க்கப் பிறர் உதவி நாடுவதும்
இயற்கை அளிக்கும் முதுமையின் கொடுமையே!

ஆயுள் இன்னும் நீண்டால், சின்னஞ் சிறிசுபோல
பாயில் இரப்பர் விரிப்பும், நாப்கினும் வந்துவிடும்!

தன் குழந்தைக்கு அன்புடன் பணிவிடை செய்வார், அது
தன் முதுமையில் உதவிடும் என எண்ணி, ஆனால்

தனக்குச் சேவை செய்த பெற்றோருக்கு எவரேனும்
கணக்குப் பாராது பாதுகாப்புத் தருவது உண்டோ?

உண்மை உண்மையிலே மிகவும் கசப்புத்தான்!
திண்மை உள்ளத்தையும் கலங்க வைப்பதுதான்!

அனாவசியமாய் நோய் தாக்கும் நீண்ட ஆயுள் வேண்டாது,
அனாயாச மரணம் கிட்ட இறையை வேண்டிடுவோம்!

:hail:

Of all the life's benefits, healthy life till the end is the foremost. The pensioners, those who have saved for the evening of their life, the rich by inheritance, etc. have an anxiety whether these will be helpful to them. Life is so uncertain. In case of some pensioners, the supposed to be caring relatives, desert them to their fate on the ground they would support themselves. Some get into deeper crisis like health problems which demand higher than pension payments. Leave these, there is a funny side, too. A few families in dire straits keep the pensioner with them so that they can feed themselves (2 or 3) out of it. Forget about these 'haves', anybody thinks of unorganized sector people? They rely hundred per cent on providence's mercy. The condition of early life, middle life or the last part of life is what you have merited.

You are right. No one can predict the sickness at the old age. Pensioners, whatever
they have, as you said, will have to be utilised for emergencies. One can not expect
always help from kith and kins these days, as everyone have their own commitments.
About unorganized or people who do not have regular income viz. labourer, daily worker, etc.,
it is certainly very very difficult; as these days some of the hospitals even do not readily
respond to medical aid at the first instance itself unless one has money to approach.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

We were reading about price rise.The Govt's rises prices based on the monetary requirement to run the Departments(Transport,Electicity etc).Think of the Other side.
If the prises were not raised what would happen to these Departments?Clousure !
Then then Private people will enter,only to raise the prices more.Then All will look for Govt to take over.The cycle goes on No end,Recently the Media flashed about Students agitation in South American countries to withdrwa higher education Fees?
Govts will find it difficult to tackle the price rise as common public.
Alwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back