• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

positive vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the sayings of elders that chanting poojas bhajans mantras in the house creates good positive vibrations at home. Whether the same vibrations will be created by playing the bhajans/poojas/mantras by means of cassettes/ any audio devices?
Can anybody clarify

Regards,
G.Kannan
Shri Kannan,

I am not very sure about the "positive vibrations" theory, but anyone would agree that if good music is heard in/from a house we get a nice feeling and if shouting, crying, etc., sounds come out we do not get a nice feeling but start wondering why, except of course when children are crying.

From this commonsense deduction I feel if we play good quality music or bhajans or mantras by means of audio tapes it should provide a nice atmosphere. But as regards bhajans particularly i fins there are several famous bhajan groups in TN but their bhajans are cacophonic. Mostly out-of Sruti, rough male voices will be there and the musical standard rather below average. Even in the CDs of very acclaimed carnatic musiciansm the percussion instruments overpower the oral sound or the stringed instrument; In the end you will get a lot of noise some of which may be musical, like aalaapanam.The only instrument which can match today's mridangist or mike-fitted Ghatams is Nadaswaram (and saxophone) I find!

I can respond for the positive vibrations that are created by vedic chants - listen to the crescendo of Ekadasa Rudra (completion time) where a Maha Rudra Japam is performed and also listen to the Sama Veda chants especially after completion of a Homam as they start increasing the pitch slowly. Vedic chants produce very positive vibrations. I have heard from Shri Balakrishna Sastrigal Katha Kalakshepams that positive vibrations are created by Thyaga Brahma krithis etc. I have also heard the same view from Shri Santhana Gopalachariar, another learned Pauranikar. This comes when properly trained persons are performing. Now with regard to cassets/tapes etc. they also produce the same effect as technically the voice reproduction is of the same wave length. Technology has made repeated listening possible. You listen to so many things in Youtube etc. and we get the same desired effect.

Respected everyone

Positive or negative is in the mind of the individual. This is my opinion. Definitely to a beginer listening to ,chanting slokas and visiting temples will be of help to lead us in the right direction just like how as children we learn and start progressing. so too we should try to reach higher with every step and this is what is exactly told in the gita. Knowledge alone will not be sufficient. thiswe have to experience and this and this differs from person to person.
I have only tried to write what i feel and my intention is each of us must have individuality and not get trapped or influenced by what others say.
Hope senior people will open the eyes of the youngsters to get enlightened.

I can respond for the positive vibrations that are created by vedic chants - listen to the crescendo of Ekadasa Rudra (completion time) where a Maha Rudra Japam is performed and also listen to the Sama Veda chants especially after completion of a Homam as they start increasing the pitch slowly. Vedic chants produce very positive vibrations. I have heard from Shri Balakrishna Sastrigal Katha Kalakshepams that positive vibrations are created by Thyaga Brahma krithis etc. I have also heard the same view from Shri Santhana Gopalachariar, another learned Pauranikar. This comes when properly trained persons are performing. Now with regard to cassets/tapes etc. they also produce the same effect as technically the voice reproduction is of the same wave length. Technology has made repeated listening possible. You listen to so many things in Youtube etc. and we get the same desired effect.

Dear Sri Ramamurthy,

Namaste. This is the first time I am corresponding with you.

I believe that you musical sensibilities will become subtler over a period of time. I don't know your age: but if you are young the chances that it will be faster.

I presume you refer to the late T.S. Balakrishna Sastri. With humility I say that he is is no way a musician and only his explanation of kritis of Tyagarja has some value. Amongst the exponents of katha-kalashepam padhathi in Tamil Nadu, Kalyanapuram Aravamudam seems tolerable. Harikatha is still popular in Andhra and there could be a few whose music are better. Udayalur Kalyanaraman, though does not normally comfortable in the katha-kalashepam mode, is definitely streets ahead of the rest and can give many singers a run for their money.

Start listening to classical Hindustani and you will gradually realise the enchanting power of music. Couple of weeks back, I was listening to Rajan & Sajan Misra in AIR's Radio Sangeet Samelan programme and music they produced is simply haunting.
Sri Sangom is right that unlike in Carnatic, percussionists do not drown the voice of the main artist. Here is almost thani avardanam right from the word go...

Late Raghav Menon has described the two traditions of Indian music quite well.

With regards,
Swami

Respected everyone

Positive or negative is in the mind of the individual. This is my opinion. Definitely to a beginer listening to ,chanting slokas and visiting temples will be of help to lead us in the right direction just like how as children we learn and start progressing. so too we should try to reach higher with every step and this is what is exactly told in the gita. Knowledge alone will not be sufficient. thiswe have to experience and this and this differs from person to person.
I have only tried to write what i feel and my intention is each of us must have individuality and not get trapped or influenced by what others say.
Hope senior people will open the eyes of the youngsters to get enlightened.

Smt. Sashikala,

You are right in saying that each person has to develop his/her own likes and dislikes as to what makes him/her feel elated in mind. having said that there are some things which commonly appeal to most people (though exceptions may be there) and one such item is "good", mellifluous music. One may just enjoy it, try to learn the intricacies of it, or even make it a tool for spiritual matters, if he is so oriented.

Dear Mr Swami,
I am sixty. The thread is not about individual musicians or performers. It is about the positive vibrations that arise. Nadabrahmam or simply sunadham brings a link. I can say it is cosmic. "Nabhihrithkanta rasna". similarly, vedic chants in the right wave length with Suswaram create a ripple effect. In Laghunyasa performed before Rudra chant, the terms "Vakthre Saraswathi Tishtatu" "Karnayor Ashwinow Tishtetam" etc. do appear. Meaning, let Saraswathi stand in your tongue and in the ears let Ashwini brothers stand. It also starts with "Yad Bhavam Tad Bhavathi". Simply stated, as told by my vedic teacher, (I learnt only a little) one has to have a proper samskaram and the right initiation. Then you yourself are able to experience it.

Sangom Sir, please excuse me for typing Sanskrit words as they are pronounced in English and I do not know the way you use a specific phonetic code with upper and lower case letters. In fact, I should learn it. probably someone in the forum will help where it is available in the net.
regards

Dear Mr Swami,
I am sixty. The thread is not about individual musicians or performers. It is about the positive vibrations that arise. Nadabrahmam or simply sunadham brings a link. I can say it is cosmic. "Nabhihrithkanta rasna". similarly, vedic chants in the right wave length with Suswaram create a ripple effect. In Laghunyasa performed before Rudra chant, the terms "Vakthre Saraswathi Tishtatu" "Karnayor Ashwinow Tishtetam" etc. do appear. Meaning, let Saraswathi stand in your tongue and in the ears let Ashwini brothers stand. It also starts with "Yad Bhavam Tad Bhavathi". Simply stated, as told by my vedic teacher, (I learnt only a little) one has to have a proper samskaram and the right initiation. Then you yourself are able to experience it.

I agree with you, Shri Ramamurthy. As you have written, only "susvaram" will have some positive effect. I think Shri Swami was also elaborating on that point and mentioning some musicians who are much better than the rest.

Sangom Sir, please excuse me for typing Sanskrit words as they are pronounced in English and I do not know the way you use a specific phonetic code with upper and lower case letters. In fact, I should learn it. probably someone in the forum will help where it is available in the net.
regards
I was using capitals to denote the long vowels (A for aa, ee for ee because I and l will be confusing, U or oo for long u, etc.,) so far. But now I use the free software Barahapad where you type a word in sanskrit and convert it to IAST (International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration).

International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back