• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Poonul

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per my understanding it is 1 knot for bramachari (unmarried) 2 knots for grahastas (married) and 3 knots for grahastas for whom their father is no more. If I am wrong, some members with correct knowledge pl enlighten us.

As far as my understanding goes, the third knot is not for losing the father but for the birth of the first child. This is not compulsorily followed by all but depends more on the family sampradaya.

Great. I too could do 1008 times, though with some difficulty.

I was a little out of touch for sitting cross legged on floor for long duration.

This time, I used a hand held mechanical counter (kind of gadget found in old fashioned tape recorders) for keeping track of the count. Pretty useful little gadget, except that you use it only once in a year !

You can get it for less than Rs. 100.00 in any fancy/gift item shop.

The number of knots/threads in POONOOL is always confusing, especially for irregular brahmins, youngsters and NRI brahmins etc. who may do gayathri jaapam only rarely.

The third is only when a person starts doing apara karya e.g. death of the fater or mother.

The third is only when a person starts doing apara karya e.g. death of the fater or mother.
hi all,
i heard that 1 for brahmachari.....2 for grihastaas(married)..
3 for grihasthass for pitru tarpananam...means one who
lost father/parents..... may be im not sure...

regards

First of all, the knot refers to the Bhrama Mudichu. It has to be held during the Gayathri Japam. Secondly, the three knots are from three sets of poonals.
First during the upanayanam. Second during the marriage. Third during the seemandham. That's why we call the first born child as the "Seemandha Putran or Seemandha Puthri".

Good Day everyone........

Avani avittam over just a few days back and we seem to be riddled about the reasoning behind the no.of knots .....

Most of us would be knowing that .........

Knot (unit)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The knot is a unit of speed equal to one nautical mile per hour, which is equal to approximately 1.151 mph.

Also when it came to the pace in which the 1008 gayathri japa were recited , most of us would have handled it at top gear .....

God only knows if he is valuing : 1) The No.of times it is recited or 2) The tone in which it is recited ...

Any ideas ??

Ohm namashivaya,

Vanakkam,

I heard from elders that, single knot set of poonul is for Bramhacharies, and 2 knot for grahasta's. but the third one is not specifically for persons who doing "Apara kariyam" or "pitru kariyam" or any other things, it is required for persons who do "agni kariyam", still the main reason is , only grahastas can do the agni kariyam or homum kariyam and they should have the upper garments always, if not possible to maintain always, they should wear one more poonul, for the absence of it.
it not mean only at the time of kariyam, they should wear this always. But i saw few people, who not blessed with children wear only 2 knot set of poonul.

I request all our elder members, please give us the "Thath-prium" (reason/meaning/knowledge) behind these.. or (if not known exactly) please give us ur views, let the next generation like us learn from you, you are the only source for us to learn from,..... hmm, please,...

Last edited:
The discussion is interesting and enlightening. I understand that the three threads in poonul(not the knot, i mean the number of threads) are to remind the aspirant or sadhaka about three great virtues. 1. Truthfulness 2.Ebracing poverty voluntarily that means being austere. 3. chastity . it changes its meaning from continence to being faithful totally to one's partner after marriage.
practically speaking a person wearing poonul whether he ia a brahmin or non brahmin does not matter, should be truthful as far as possible. .When he wants to tell an utter lie he should touch his poonul and correct himself. secondly he should not be greedy to amass wealth by any means and thirdly he should be very faithful and devoted to his wife and maintain high decency with regard to his interactions with other women.
If i am wrong please correct me.
The brahma mudichu is actually a bank like thing where you deposit daily the effect or palan of the great gayathri manthra.
by the by the manthra does not denote any particular daity. It is a universal manthra highly potent and powerful.
It should be chated and not sung.
"A mathra has to bechanted. A verse has to be recited and a song sung" Dayananda saraswathi in a recent congregation at SV temple n washington DC.

Dear Sri T V Varadan,

Your explanations are definitely enlightening me. Please keep it up.

All the best

re

Shree T V Varadan,

It is a universal manthra highly potent and powerful.

Shree Shree Maha Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba is probably the first of the triple avatarams to suggest,that all can chant ,Shree Amma Gayathri Manthram,worldover,including ladies.Thank you!.

gopal.

Dear Shri. T.T.Vardhan,

Thank you very much for the enlighting me with new dimension and meaning of three threads in poonul. best regards

My understanding regarding the third set of poonal is that it is required for only for people who do not wear banians/shirts normally and who cover their bodies with angavastram as in the case of prohiths.Some one who can throw more light on this is most welcome.
S.Sridharan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back