• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Poonul Sampradaayams ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaarams - This is TV Ganesh, newly joined the forum today.

On Poonul ...
I have two questions [already asked various persons elsewhere, but not received a satisfactory reply : different persons replied differently].

a] What is the maan thol [sampradayam during yagnopaveetham] distributed to brahmacharis during their first aavani avittam ?

b] Why are poonuls constructed differently for iyers and iyengars - Iyengar poonuls are very thick while Iyer poonuls are very thin...?

[I wonder if my questions are relevant; but would be grateful for a credible reply.]

Many thanks !
TvG

Shri TVG,

AFAIK, the ancient customs as seen from our scriptures, talks about a ceremony or samskaaram known as samaavartanam for the male members of the three higher classes (castes) viz., brAhmaNas, kShatriyas and vaiSyas. This was to be performed when a young man, after his "gurukulavAsam" and learning of one veda or more vedas, and having been certified by the guru as his having completed his study of veda/s successfully, returns to his native village.

The local people on hearing about the returning BrahmachAri, formally receive him at the village border, offer him a seat there (possibly below a banyan tree) and then he takes a ceremonial bath. After that he returns to his seat and then he is invested with the skin (hide) of a black buck (Krishna mrugam) - this skin is known in sanskrit as "KrishNAjinam" - by an elder and this KrishNAjinam is placed on the Brahmachari's left shoulder and joined and held under the right side, exactly like how the pooNal is worn. The "maan thOl" today (which is mostly a pice of goat or sheep skin, because black-buck killing is a criminal offence today!) is in lieu of the original KrishNAjinam.

I have not read anywhere that when the above practice was in vogue, the practice of wearing a poonal made of cotton thread was also there. But for any vaideeka karma, including the performance of various "yAgams", the yajamaanan and his wife, both, had to wear a "vasthram" - a cloth at the waist - and also an "angavastram", a cloth to cover the upper part of the body. This angavastram if worn in a flowing manner, as we normally do now, used to be very inconvenient and also susceptible to fire accidents probably. So, it came to be worn as a belt-like "paTTi". The Nambudiris of Kerala, who are also brAhmanas, wear this angavastram after making it into a twisted coir-like thing. The attached image shows this.

I am of the view that it was this "angavastram" which became today's pooNal.

This post by our esteemed member Shri kgopalan explains how the poonal is supposed to be made. (I remember my maternal grandfather, a vaadhyaar, had two or three cotton plants in his compound and used the cotton from those plants only, for making poonals in the house and offering them to others.) But today, the most preferred thread by vaadhyaars is the tyre-making cotton cords which will be very strong and therefore, more lasting; many vadhyars also get ready-made poonals from Madurai which saves them lot of trouble, but these are made by people of any caste under any conditions of "Shuddham" and thus, these are 'secular' poonals.

Regarding thickness of vaishnava poonals I don't know the reason. Hope this reply is credible enough.

Last edited:
Hello Ganesh,

1)About different Asanas used while doing Gayatri Japa this is what is said:

கிருஷ்ணாஜினே ஞானவ்ருத்தி,
மோக்ஷஸ்ரீர் வ்யாக்ரசர்மணி,
வசாஜினே வ்யாதிநாச:
கம்பளே துக்கமோசனம்|
குசாஸனே பாபநாச:
......................etc...etc.,

So a brahmachari can not be interested in anything other than jnaanavridhdhi at the upanayanam stage when enters into the Gurukulam. If a full length krishnaarjinam for Asanam is not available people perhaps satisfy themselves with a small piece of it which keeps rubbing their body always.

2)Poonool is called yajna sutra. Meaning the means to know brahmam(God). The length of the twine with which the poonool is made is totally 96 inches. There is a reason for this 96 inches. You can approach a learned person in your area to know the philosophic idea behind this 96 inches. Iyers are generally advaitins and Iyengars are visishtadvaitins. The two factions of brahmins have a slight difference in the interpretation of the relationship between Atman and Brahman. The iyengar poonool and iyer poonool are not different on the basis of thickness as you have mentioned. You can get iyer poonool also a thick one if you are looking for one. The difference is in the knot which you find in the poonool. Iyer poonool will not show you the two edges of the twine which has been looped three times to make it finally a poonool. In Iyengar poonool you will find these two edges of the twine clearly visible in the knot like the proboscis of the butterfly. If you understand the advaitam and visishtadvaitam you will understand the symbolic significance of the brahma mudichchu, the knot in the poonool. That is a different topic altogether. You can make some effort to know the details yourself. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back