• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Points to ponder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Points to ponder

Education becomes a best friend if one has an ambition to acquire.
A well educated and knowledgeable person is always given respect
wherever he goes. While money or jewelery can be stolen, education
can never be stolen. Above all, education hides the age and beauty
of a person.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Character:

1. The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/natureof some person or thing.

2. one such feature or trait; characteristic.

3. moral or ethical quality: a man of fine, honorable character.

4. qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity: It takes character to face up to a bully.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bully
5. reputation: a stain on one's character.

Which of these do you mean and who is that (s)he???

Character:

1. The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature
of some person or thing.

2. one such feature or trait; characteristic.

3. moral or ethical quality: a man of fine, honorable character.

4. qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity: It takes character to face up to a bully.

5. reputation: a stain on one's character.

Which of these do you mean and who is that (s)he???
Of the above 2 and 4 more describe an attribute of the word, or qualify it.
5 seems to be an impact to the word caused by events.

So when we say 'He is a person of character' are we thinking along 1 and 3 or all of the above?
Note that 3 uses the same word 'character' to describe it.

(s)he is the 'character' (in noun form to describe a person) who could be a he or she (he/she).
( a colloquial way of using ; e.g., - this character I met y'day sounded weird)

Civilization.

The true test of Civilization is not the census nor the size of the cities nor the crops- no, but the kind of man the country turns out. :hat:...... :spy:
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The more advanced the civilization,
the less powerful the individual. :hail:
Sir Arthur Helps.

The end of human race will be that
it will die of civilization. :rolleyes:
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

# 32. Old is Gold!

No man or woman ever felt lonely in the past. It was common sight to see the unwed sisters, brothers, uncles and aunts living with the family.

Those who were unfortunate to be widowed were looked after by the brother or brother in law. The lady would not have to go out and earn her livelihood and become a single parent as it is now.

The old ladies were very useful to attend on the children, the aged, the pregnant women and the sick people in the family.

The unwed uncles stayed with their nephews making themselves useful with various jobs. They were never made to feel themselves as an unwanted burden on the family.

Now each one has to earn his livelihood, take care of himself in good health and sickness and the number of single parent is on the rise - thanks to the increased divorce rates.

"கடவுளை நம்புகிறவன் முட்டாள்."

"கடவுளைக் கும்பிடுபவன் காட்டுமிராண்டி."

"காட்டு மிராண்டி" என்று பட்டம் தந்தவரைக்

கும்பிடுவது பகுத்தறிவு, சுயமரியாதை!

On second thoughts everyone must have a character
either good or bad, either praiseworthy or foul.
So if (s)he is a character then
(s)he must have a character...
good or bad!

When a sales girl rang the door bell the man in the house opened the door - without a stitch of cloth on his body.

When arrested for obscene exposure he argued that he can roam around the way he wants in his own house.

The clever lawyer argued that his house ends where the door opens!

Conscience.

Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience. :flame:
George Washington.

Conscience is but the pulse of reason. :nerd:
Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Conscience and reputation are two things.
Conscience is due to yourself, :high5:
reputation to your neighbor. :gossip:
St. Augustine.

# 33 Old is Gold!

Sanyasins and Achaaryaas.

The very thought of the sanyasis and achaaryaas of the past brings into our minds holy persons, leading simple lives, and setting an example to the whole humanity.

They ate very little and talked even less but their very lives were lessons for the rest of us. They had no needs, no greed, no need to hoard, no controversies, no pomp and show and no media exposures!

I have heard this story about Kanchi mahaa periyavaaL. It is said that one day he liked the taste of the "keerai" he ate and having done that he felt that he had sinned.

Sanyasin should not enjoy or register anything through any sense organ. He went without food as a parihaaram.

I remember the day my guru's guru dived shamelessly into the "PuLik kuzhambu " served in his "bikshaa" in my friend's house.

Today the most controversial figures are some of the achaaryaas and sansasins. They interfere in politics, they raise and maintain their own "vaanara sena".

They are surrounded by female movie stars of dubious fame. They want media coverage for everything they do, say or make others do!

People have forgotten that aachaarya is the one who leads them to God and instead have made the aachaarya himself their god.

Last edited:
Mind blowing and vivid imagination!

In Sundara kaandam Valmiki explains the effect of the powerful take off of Hanuman to Lanka.

The trees get uprooted and fly along with him showering flowers all along.

In Kandapuranam the powerful take off by Veerabaahu is pictured with similar stunning effects.

It is so vivid as if the poets were actually witnessing the scene.

When two persons stand on platforms on either side of a speeding train, they feel a pull along the direction of motion of the train.

If they are standing quit close to the train track, they may get pulled towards each other, collide and fall on the rail tracks!

Anything traveling at an immense speed creates a low pressure along its path. When the pressure is restored by the gushing air, things start flying from both the sides.

It is this effect pictured both in Sundara kaanada and Kandapuranam.

Either the poets KNEW about Bernoulli's Theorem or they actually SAW its effects!!!

This is explained by the following paragraph.

Aerodynamics of passing trains

Jearl Walker www.flyingcircusofphysics.com

Dec 2008 If you stand next to a rail track as a high-speed train passes you, you can be knocked down by the pressure wave shed by the front of the train.

As the train plows through the air, it compresses the air. If you could see the compressed air, it would roughly form a cone with the apex located at the front of the train.

As the train moves, the pressure cone is continuously being formed.

If you are near the track, the pressure cone will sweep past you, followed by a rapid decrease in air pressure as the air attempts to regain its initial pressure.

This cone of high pressure and then low pressure is also shed by high speed airplanes and is sometimes made visible if water moisture condenses to form a fog of water drops in the low pressure portion of the wave.

Below I give a link to photographs and videos where you can see conical fogs hugging high-speed airplanes.

The situation with a high-speed train, however, is different in that a train can be much longer than an airplane.

Air tends to be entrained (pulled along) by the cars behind the front of the train, which causes a suction action on the air somewhat farther from the train.

Although we cannot see the high pressure cone or the entrainment of air directly, we can see the effects in the following video.

You may want to watch it twice because the first part is horrifying --- two people dash across the track of an oncoming, very high speed train.

The woman just barely misses being hit. Try to watch the man that is already on the platform; in particular, watch his stance and his clothing.

Near Miss 5 - YouTube

Sometimes people talk to themselves standing before the Mirror when
they are alone. They, perhaps, adopt such methods only to conceal
their thought process or get away from the clutches of bad thinking.
At times, it paves the way to accept their own weakness and make
them to attempt to exhibit their real qualities and improve upon their
thinking process.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur.

The mirror on the wall = The external conscience???

Sometimes people talk to themselves standing before the Mirror when
they are alone. They, perhaps, adopt such methods only to conceal
their thought process or get away from the clutches of bad thinking.
At times, it paves the way to accept their own weakness and make
them to attempt to exhibit their real qualities and improve upon their
thinking process.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur.

From a message forwarded by my younger sister:

"IT IS REALLY STRANGE.."

It is too much to give Rs 20 to a poor person.

But to give a tip at the hotel it is too less!

It is difficult to spend 3 minutes for God.

But it is easy to spend 3 hours at a movie!

After a whole day's work, we don't feel tired to go to gym.

But we feel too tired to help Mom & Dad at home

We wait the whole year for Valentine's Day.

But we don't even know when is Mother's Day

It is difficult for us to forward this message.
But we forward silly jokes as if it is our
'DUTY' & 'RESPONSIBILITY'

IS IT NOT REALLY STRANGE..???

ஒருவரை மட்டம் தட்டவேண்டுமா???

இன்னொருவரை உயர்த்துங்கள்!!!

இருகோடுகளின் அதே தத்துவம் தான் இதுவும்! :rolleyes:

• Replies: 5
  • Views: 75
  • அரை நாளில் ஐந்து நட்சத்திர அந்தஸ்து பெற்றது இது.
  • Replies: 1,059
  • Views: 51,123
ஒன்றரை ஆண்டுகள் ஆகியும் அந்தரத்தில் தொங்குவது இது.

ஒரே காரணம் நான் ஒரு:music:...
ஒரு... :hat: அல்ல!!!

Last edited:
For some strange reason I am NOT able to enter my thread Life is like that.

I had reported it more than 12 hours ago but still the problem persists.

So I will continue to post everything in this thread till the problem is set right.

Conversation.

Conversation should touch everything :tea:
but should concentrate itself on nothing.:laser:
Oscar Wilde.

Most people, in conversing, force us to curse our stars
that our lot was not cast among the African nation
mentioned by Eudoxus - the savages who,
having no mouths, never opened them, :tape:
as a matter of course.:rolleyes:
Edgar Allan Poe.

# 34. Old is Gold!

Story telling, vocabulary, sympathy, empathy and imagination:

When my elder son was a one year old child, I used to tell him fairy tales while feeding his food. He would listen with rapt attention.

My sister-in-law asked me one day. "Do you think an one year old child can understand your stories? Are you not wasting your time?"

On that day I was telling him the Cinderella story and how she was treated badly by her step mother and stepsisters.

I pointed out to her the quiver in my son's lips - as if he felt the pain Cinderella had felt. Only then she was convinced that he was really following the story.

In olden days the mother used to sing simple rhymes like

"நிலா நிலா வா வா
நில்லாமலே ஓடி வா
மலை மேலே ஏறி வா
மல்லிகைப் பூக் கொண்டுவா!"

and

"காக்கா கண்ணுக்கு மை
கொண்டு வா!
குருவி கொண்டைக்குப் பூ
கொண்டு வா!"

She would tell stories of the crow and the fox, the fox and the grapes etc. The children learned many words, their meanings, the shades of emotions they conveyed automatically. The eating time was the fun time the mother and child shared benefiting both of them.

Now a days the parents are so busy they just switch on a program in the T.V. or P.C. and make the children watch it so that they can feed it.

My little grand daughter got hooked to the Sign language program. At first it helped her to eat. Later on it became more important than eating.

She thought that eating was distracting her from her favorite program and would either spray the food or push it away!

With great difficulty they weaned her out of it during their long vacation away from home.

My little grandson has to watch "Chanda hai tu! meri sooraj hai tu!" song. Once he got hooked to it they realized that it was doing more harm than good and weaned him away from it.

Story telling makes the children imaginative, creative and increases their sympathy and empathy.

Never compromise on it with cheap substitutes!

# 34. Old is Gold!

Story telling, vocabulary, sympathy, empathy and imagination:

When my elder son was a one year old child, I used to tell him fairy tales while feeding his food. He would listen with rapt attention.

My sister-in-law asked me one day. "Do you think an one year old child can understand your stories? Are you not wasting your time?"

On that day I was telling him the Cinderella story and how she was treated badly by her step mother and stepsisters.

I pointed out to her the quiver in my son's lips - as if he felt the pain Cinderella had felt. Only then she was convinced that he was really following the story.

In olden days the mother used to sing simple rhymes like

"நிலா நிலா வா வா
நில்லாமலே ஓடி வா
மலை மேலே ஏறி வா
மல்லிகைப் பூக் கொண்டுவா!"

and

"காக்கா கண்ணுக்கு மை
கொண்டு வா!
குருவி கொண்டைக்குப் பூ
கொண்டு வா!"

She would tell stories of the crow and the fox, the fox and the grapes etc. The children learned many words, their meanings, the shades of emotions they conveyed automatically. The eating time was the fun time the mother and child shared benefiting both of them.

Now a days the parents are so busy they just switch on a program in the T.V. or P.C. and make the children watch it so that they can feed it.

My little grand daughter got hooked to the Sign language program. At first it helped her to eat. Later on it became more important than eating.

She thought that eating was distracting her from her favorite program and would either spray the food or push it away!

With great difficulty they weaned her out of it during their long vacation away from home.

My little grandson has to watch "Chanda hai tu! meri sooraj hai tu!" song. Once he got hooked to it they realized that it was doing more harm than good and weaned him away from it.

Story telling makes the children imaginative, creative and increases their sympathy and empathy.

Never compromise on it with cheap substitutes!

I am reminded when my son was some few years old..my mum was reading to him the Three Bears story to him and was feeding him.
At the same time my son was looking at the drawings of the Three Bears and Goldilocks in the book.

Then when my mum was narrating to him that Goldilocks ate up Baby Bear's porridge my son said "poor baby bear .. no porridge" when he saw the pic of Baby Bear crying cos Goldilocks had eaten up his porridge.

Then he quickly turned the pages and saw that the page had a drawing of the Three Bears not locking the gate when they went for a walk.

Then my son said in his baby talk "Papa Bear not lock gate"

Then he added "Mama Bear help..Mama Bear make new porridge..Baby Bear not crying"

I was thinking when I was small..I just accepted the story and never thought of the cause why Goldilocks got in (unlocked gate) and also never thought of asking Mama Bear to make new porridge.

I guess my son could identify with the story that a baby without porridge will be hungry and cry and felt sad for Baby Bear.

Last edited:
LIFE IS LIKE THAT!

Conversation.

Debate is masculine; :argue:
conversation feminine. :tea:
A. Bronson Alcott.

(Well this explains a lot that keeps happening around us all the time!)

Do you know that conversation is one of the greatest pleasures in life? But it wants leisure. :couch2:
W. Somerset Maugham.

Two may talk and one may hear, but three can't take part in a conversation of the most sincere and searching sort. :nono:
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I am reminded when my son was some few years old..my mum was reading to him the Three Bears story to him and was feeding him.
At the same time my son was looking at the drawings of the Three Bears and Goldilocks in the book.
I guess my son could identify with the story that a baby without porridge will be hungry and cry and felt sad for Baby Bear.

Babies are far more imaginative and sympathetic :baby:

than we are willing to give them credit for! :clap2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back