• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pledge by our children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to onslaught of Westernism, Cinema & TV soaps culture, lack of spiritualism and with no proper guidance or mentoring by the elders our kids are going astray...There are almost 30% girls & boys moving away from our community in Chennai & almost 50% in other metros....We are unable to reach them out and influence them...Also family bonds are disappearing...Each of us is in cocoon...We are unable to address this issue which is growing in leaps & bounds...As I read this forum archives, it looks like most of us have almost given up & think that it is the order of the day... One suggestion that has come to my mind is whether can we involve our kids by sharing an open article (indicating the community's challenges) followed by a pledge which can be administered...Contents of the pledge can be worked out later..Would want the forum users to comment on this
Thanks,
vgane

Over the years I have come to realize that only the weak minded can get influenced by unhealthy elements.

So what is the source for the weakening of the mind?

Why is the foundation of the mind so shaky if everything was right and logical in the first place?

And also most importantly "what is a community looking for?"

Yes, on a larger scale how does the community help its members cope up with the stress of competing with people with more aggressive cultures and upbringing.

How does the community equip us to survive outside the Agraharams and mylapores

How does one react to the subtle and overt moves of a japnese , punjabi, american colleage at work with whome one spends 12 to 14 hours at work for years together

Apart from rituals and puja (which half the younger migrant population is unawares anyway) what is our identity !!!!!

what we see is a churning of races and cultures brought on by globalisation and urbanisation, which can be escaped from by choosing to remain in our agraharams

Or quickly evolve a community education and awareness program which would help members cope up with all the above factors

Yes, on a larger scale how does the community help its members cope up with the stress of competing with people with more aggressive cultures and upbringing.

How does the community equip us to survive outside the Agraharams and mylapores

How does one react to the subtle and overt moves of a japnese , punjabi, american colleage at work with whome one spends 12 to 14 hours at work for years together

Apart from rituals and puja (which half the younger migrant population is unawares anyway) what is our identity !!!!!

what we see is a churning of races and cultures brought on by globalisation and urbanisation, which can be escaped from by choosing to remain in our agraharams

Or quickly evolve a community education and awareness program which would help members cope up with all the above factors

Doesnt the age of advise ring a bell here.."Be in this world but do not let the world be in you"

Just a simple example..I come across countless patients who drink and smoke till their health deteriorates and when I advise them to quit, they reply..
"it's not possible becos my job requires me to entertain clients for business deals and smoking and drinking is part of it"

I feel this is just an excuse..if we want to say NO we can cos if some one offers us poison as part of the job surely we wont drink it isnt it??

Most of people who have succumb to influence actually wanted to be different and were curious and were not mentally strong enough to make the right decisions.

That's good as far as vices are concerned, but as far a s I understand the TC is more worried about lifestle, intermingling and marriages, and therefore dilution of the community .

That is where the identity crisis begins, where in apart from the fast disappearing poonal one has no identity to call ones own, especialy when one has been out of TN for ages

That's good as far as vices are concerned, but as far a s I understand the TC is more worried about lifestle, intermingling and marriages, and therefore dilution of the community .

That is where the identity crisis begins, where in apart from the fast disappearing poonal one has no identity to call ones own, especialy when one has been out of TN for ages

Ok for that I have no comments cos I was just writing about vices/influences that eventually harm human values and I do not want to hold on too tight to outward identity that might change from birth to birth.

On a personal note I believe in this from the Geeta:

It is not born, nor does it ever die, nor, having existed, does it exist no more.

Last edited:
It is a himalayan task no doubt. My views:

1. Learn as much as possible about your sampardaya, practices and custome and practice them to the extent possible.
2. Devote some time to the generic spiritual activities - prayer, visit to temples, attend upanyasams etc.
3. Defend your faith without getting into arguments; many a time we keep quiet to be politically correct and swallow mild to moderate attacks on our beliefs.
4. Regarding next generation youngsters - do not force, do not get into arguments or insist, but follow persuasion by example - i.e. you practice and let them do what they want.
5. keep them aware of the religious and spiritual side - present books, religious cd/dvds, links to websites, subscriptions etc - non intrusive exposure.
6. Encourage when they want to join activities like yoga, art of living, reiki etc; they all eventually steer one in the right direction.

We can not blame the children! How many of the 'elders' follow their religious customs with full faith?

How many visit the temple regularly? Children will follow only what the elders practice.

The challenges that our community faces in a globalised environment are enormous but even in a conservative society of Chennai if persons are going astray then there is something wrong...I would still go for instituting a social pledge which would act as a bond for the community...We have seen the effect of globalisation in the 20th century when we were pushed out of the villages...Now the challenge is that the unique identity of the community in the metros is also under threat & is on the verge of collapse...I shudder to think what would happen by the end of 21st century if we do not act now

vgane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back