• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Perceptions about Senior Citizen Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear raji ram
can you recommend a good senior resort for me and my wife.We are 71 and 62 old and healthy and we stay now in mumbai
subramanian
Dear Sir,

It depends where you want to settle down, your budget and choice of food. There are resorts available in Coimbatore and many

from Mumbai choose one from there because of the good climate. The initial payment for lease type is around 20 lakhs and for

buying a villa, it might be around 50 lakhs. There are some other resorts where the deposit is about 2 lakhs per person and

monthly payment will be around Rs. 10,000/ per person. In some resorts, they give accommodation for a few weeks / months

on trial basis.

It is better to talk to your family members and choose one according to your requirement.

Dear Sir,

It depends where you want to settle down, your budget and choice of food. There are resorts available in Coimbatore and many

from Mumbai choose one from there because of the good climate. The initial payment for lease type is around 20 lakhs and for

buying a villa, it might be around 50 lakhs. There are some other resorts where the deposit is about 2 lakhs per person and

monthly payment will be around Rs. 10,000/ per person. In some resorts, they give accommodation for a few weeks / months

on trial basis.

It is better to talk to your family members and choose one according to your requirement.

Very practical advice. I wish there was a comparison based on tariff, accommodation type, location etc. But unfortunately there is none, and over time the community changes.

Dear Prasad Sir,

There is no such chart available because there are many retirement communities for the rich and upper middle class and old age

homes, which are mostly run on charity. But some homes require an advance of a few lakhs and monthly payment for room rent

and food. That is why I suggested to choose the place first and then start the search. All these have web pages with location and

contact address + phone numbers. After internet search and phone calls, it is better to have a trial stay too, before deciding the

senior resort which is mostly based on ones financial status!

........... May be its this very same "carefree sans responsibility" attitude that got the seniors in this home in the first place..some of the could have tried this stunts of expecting VIP care free treatment with their kids and got the boot! ...............
Dear Renu,

You sound rather harsh, using those words in bold! :sad:

Please understand why seniors opt to go to these resorts. A person
needs fairly good health to maintain a house, cook every meal

and entertain guests, with or without the help of servants. When the children are settled in the U S of A - for example - it is NOT easy

to keep the parents due to visa restrictions. Unless they become U S citizens, it is not possible to bring their parents and take care of

them. I am not sure about the visa formalities of other countries.

These seniors who choose to go to these resorts also face many problems when they are choosy about their food. Some of them are

unable to tolerate the people in the new environment. I find that those who go with a few of their friends families to the same resort

are more at home in the new place. But I am not sure what they will feel, if the get some serious health problem!

I don't want to disturb Nacchi Sir's experiences in the other thread.

Hence the reply is here. :)

Doctor Mam,

I agree,

At old age physical activity is more important to keep fit.

To keep fit one needs to do some physical exercise, it can be a physical exercise done at some park or attending to small house hold chores of doing shopping, visiting temple, calling on friends, etc.

Going out, meeting people, exchanging greetings, chatting for a while, gives opportunity to keep one to know what is happening around us otherwise updating. Such activities keep one ‘fit’ besides promoting sense of independence.

At my place, when I go for a walking in the morning, I can see group of senior citizens mostly 60+ actively engaged in the walking, some of them with their earphone listening music and some in groups engaged in heated debate on hot political development, cricket, current affairs, local Panchayat union lapses, health issues and occasionally personal problems concerning family dispute, etc. In other words this session can be termed as a counseling one also.

It is nice to see them greet each other every day morning, chat happily, exchange thoughts, ideas, etc and return home with a bag containing fresh vegetables and other essential things.

They engage in physical exercise according to their taste, habits and favorite activities that keeps them happy though out, viz going to library, attending sath sangam, visiting temple, etc

By taking collective responsibility one can also serve the society, age is no bar and what is required is will power.

There is umpteen time to relax bcos we have 24 hours per day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Renu,

A mAmi unable or not interested to cook every day and her hubby with 'nAkku nAlu muzham' is the worst combination!

That mAmA will never be happy, wherever he settles down! :D

There are umpteen number of solutions to lead a very happy married life for senior citizens on such issues and most of the mAmA in my place know how to deal with such a wife by providing delicious dishes every day without her entering into kitchen. Such mAmis are happy with this arrangement and love the mAmAs for their empathy.

Dear Renu,

You sound rather harsh, using those words in bold! :sad:

Dear RR ji,

You made it even bolder by highlighting it!LOL

I know sometimes the truth sounds harsh..I am not just targeting the elderly but this is how many behave as they age.

I know a patient who sent her mother to a home for the aged cos she could not stand her mothers demands.

Then I managed to convince the patient to bring back her mother home cos her mother was not well and I also told the old lady to be less demanding after having a stint in a home for the aged.

About these going to US stories etc..I somehow do not really buy these stories.

Doctor Mam,

I agree,

At old age physical activity is more important to keep fit.

To keep fit one needs to do some physical exercise, it can be a physical exercise done at some park or attending to small house hold chores of doing shopping, visiting temple, calling on friends, etc.

Going out, meeting people, exchanging greetings, chatting for a while, gives opportunity to keep one to know what is happening around us otherwise updating. Such activities keep one ‘fit’ besides promoting sense of independence.

At my place, when I go for a walking in the morning, I can see group of senior citizens mostly 60+ actively engaged in the walking, some of them with their earphone listening music and some in groups engaged in heated debate on hot political development, cricket, current affairs, local Panchayat union lapses, health issues and occasionally personal problems concerning family dispute, etc. In other words this session can be termed as a counseling one also.

It is nice to see them greet each other every day morning, chat happily, exchange thoughts, ideas, etc and return home with a bag containing fresh vegetables and other essential things.

They engage in physical exercise according to their taste, habits and favorite activities that keeps them happy though out, viz going to library, attending sath sangam, visiting temple, etc

By taking collective responsibility one can also serve the society, age is no bar and what is required is will power.

There is umpteen time to relax bcos we have 24 hours per day.

Well said sir...I always encourage seniors to be mentally and physically active.

Its good to be responsible for our own life.

I am writing about those 'nAkku nAlu muzham' mAmAs, who find fault with cooking but never can prepare any dish on their own!

Reminds me of Sri. 'Cho' Ramaswami's reply to a Q.

Q: ''Why don't you start a party and do good to people, when you are able to find so many faults with our politicians?''

A: ''I am like a thermometer which can only SHOW the temperature but can't bring it down!'' :D

Dear Renu,

You won't because your parents and in-laws are all in the same country where you live! :cool:

True..and neither would I leave them to go elsewhere to pursue a career.
Life is much more than just money and career.

Most of the seniors will stay happily in an apartment, if:

1. Good security is provided for the apartment complex.

2. Servants are available for cleaning the floor and the utensils.

3. Good caterers are available nearby.

4. All these expenses can fit in well within their budget! :)

Some of them opt to move to the resorts because,

1. They are fed up with daily chores of the household. :bored:

2. The charges collected are quite high for the security and maintenance in the
gated communities.

3. Demands by servant maids are very high.

4. One of the couples get health problems.

5. Children living abroad can't take the parents along with them.
Some other family friends move to a good resort and say that they enjoy life!! :couch2:

True..and neither would I leave them to go elsewhere to pursue a career.
Life is much more than just money and career.
Dear Renu!

A decision with precision! :thumb:

Recently, my cousin sister got a transfer with promotion and was in a dilemma whether to accept it or not. Her son is still

in school and hence I advised her not to move now but accept it after three years when her husband can opt for VRS, with

benefits. Some others tempted her to accept the offer but she decided not to do so. Her family is very happy. It is true that

life is not just money and the position in the office. :)

The problems faced by seniors in staying alone is numerous.

1. Getting Domestic help. They are very expensive.

2. Getting a plumber, electrician.

3. Getting outside food.

My younger brother stays in Annanagar, Chennai. He has no problem getting domestic help. He gets provisions, medicines delivered at home. Cooked food is available, delivered at home. He gets a driver for his car. In fact there is no reason for him to shift to a Residential Community. He gets plumbers, Electricians from the company he retired from.

Whereas I had to buy the provisions, vegetables, medicines. There was a mess who delivered food. But the quality was horrible. The domestic help was bad and expensive.

So it depends on individual factors whether you are comfortable staying alone.

By the way children staying in India can not take their parents with them.

........ So it depends on individual factors whether you are comfortable staying alone.

By the way children staying in India can not take their parents with them.
Dear Sir,

In my family and friends circle, I have seen many of the seniors shifting to these resorts. All of them have their reasons to shift,

though it differs from person to person.

No visa formalities needed, if children live in India, but there are some other factors which decide taking 'personal' care of parents!

My friend told me that there is a retired lady, who has built a few rooms with attached bathrooms in the first floor of her own house,

ONLY to accommdate the oldies in her family - mostly singles - and take care of their needs. She has employed a lady to cook food for
everyone and a maid servant to clean the utensils and clothes. I thought 'What a great idea and service to her family circle!' :clap2:

I happened to see in 'You Tube' a video of Visu's 'Makkal arangam'.
The title of the Video is"Emotional Episode"
I was very much disturbed to note that some human beings behave so badly with their own kith & kin at the fag end of their Life.
B.Krishnamurthy

......... I was very much disturbed to note that some human beings behave so badly with their own kith & kin at the fag end of their Life. ....
Very true, Sir!

Every destitute woman in 'Vishranthi Home' in Chennai, run by Smt. Savithri Vaithi, has tales of tears to share with us! :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back