• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

our police

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

The Hindu : Arts / History & Culture : Memories of Madras - A cop and his cases

this is an interesting narrative in the hindu today by an ex police officer.

the methods used are interesting and while we tambrams, if i am not mistaken, avoid 'police' as a career, we also have very little to do with them, unless we are victimized. broadly speaking, that is.

always wondered why we dont go for police career. i had an uncle who was in IPS, but after a few years, he quit to take up civilan job. hmmm

good observation. As someone pointed out earlier, we are out of very many professions. Clearly the government institution is being manipulated to drive us out of every field.

Generally, people tend to take up a job that was done by their father. Most of our elder generations left villages and other traditional occupations in search of 'fortunes' to cities and ended up subservient to the British Rajya and then those who inherited that Rajya. This loss of traditional profession is hurting Brahmins. Not to forget the important unreferenced trait among Brahmins - there is very little unity among them. The ego levels are way too high. (Ouch, someone is going to get upset at me for pointing this out). As far as I am concerned, this lack of unity is the single most issue that Brahmins must address and resolve. Take a look at western world, especially jewish groups. A Jewish faculty in US University will go out of his way to make phone calls and push his candidate into getting a similar profession. Indian Brahmins will worry themselves with political correctness, sacrifice meritorious candidates and end up as losers, merely because they don't want to appear 'biased'.

United, We Survive. Or else, I don't want to visualize the consequences.

good observation. As someone pointed out earlier, we are out of very many professions. Clearly the government institution is being manipulated to drive us out of every field. .

Hearty welcome to the forum drb. This forum is anything but what its name implies. There is more diversity and discussions than would warranty a monotonous approach to our scriptures. Hope you stick around long and give us the benefit of your observations.

First of all, I am not so sure, what you mean by ‘government institution is being manipulated to drive us out of every field’. This, I think, is a broad and unfair statement – to us mostly, because I don’t think we ever would let ourselves be forced out of every field. By hook or crook, I think, most of us, would get what we want.

Let us talk about the subject of this topic – police. I do not think this field was ever popular with our community, as far as I know. No one can stop us writing and choosing IPS. How many tambrams are there in IPS. How many want to be there? even IFS is not popular for us. Once upon a time IAS was sought after, but for the past 30 years or so, it is a distant bottom next to going to USA, S’pore, Mideast, Australia, IT et al. anyway that is what I think.

Generally, people tend to take up a job that was done by their father. Most of our elder generations left villages and other traditional occupations in search of 'fortunes' to cities and ended up subservient to the British Rajya and then those who inherited that Rajya. This loss of traditional profession is hurting Brahmins. .

Drb, pray what is the ‘traditional’ profession here. Is it vaideekam? Have we not moved up the economic scale in the past 60 years, such that most of tambrams can be considered middle class and above that? was that not a good move that we do not now have to know how to feed the family? Instead we ponder over what model car to buy? Our previous generations left the villages for a good reason – poverty, absence of opportunity, boredom, promise of excitement, upward mobility, to keep up with the ramans & sankarans who went out, earned a lot of money and built bigger houses back home, and above all a sense of adventure.

Not to forget the important unreferenced trait among Brahmins - there is very little unity among them. The ego levels are way too high. (Ouch, someone is going to get upset at me for pointing this out). As far as I am concerned, this lack of unity is the single most issue that Brahmins must address and resolve. .

Please do not put all Brahmins together as one. We tambrams are quite distinct from our gujju, telugu or UP or bengu cousins. For example, the guj Brahmins eschewed study of English language, and are hence poor compared to the gujju baniyas and jains. Same goes for Andhra Brahmins esp from telengana. Ok? re ego, it is but ievitable – with more spread of education within the community, there is a tendency to challenge every pronouncements. I see it as a healthy and good exercise. We must unite based on the issues, and not based on our caste. We must unite for the common good and not isolate ourselves with a sense of besiegement.

Take a look at western world, especially jewish groups. A Jewish faculty in US University will go out of his way to make phone calls and push his candidate into getting a similar profession. Indian Brahmins will worry themselves with political correctness, sacrifice meritorious candidates and end up as losers, merely because they don't want to appear 'biased'. .

I think it is quite a fallacy to believe that the jews are ‘united’ as one group. Even their religion is split into two, orthodox & reform. .. and there is the hasidics who are beyond this. one thing I admire, for which the jews unite is fund raising – for charities. I have never seen any other community, who are shamed into by their own people to give – charity whether it be for Israel or local. I live in Toronto Canada, and the jewish hospital, funded by jews, is still the best. And it is open to all. Many many muslims work and get treatment there. no one is turned away.

United, We Survive. Or else, I don't want to visualize the consequences.

Yes ‘united’ as human beings. For causes. Not based on narrow communalism. That much I will go along with you.

Thank you again.

I think police profession is not any different from many others that Brahmins have been driven out. Yes, when I mean driven out, the institution of government has been used to reject opportunities for Brahmins. Brahmins can't get easily promotions in State or Central Government. When they see a less qualified person being promoted ahead of them, they don't want to continue that profession. That is one way how they are being driven out of each profession by government institutions.

This forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins. It is built around a belief system that most people here share. Hence, it is not required to be politically correct. We unite both based on issues and based on our caste (aka belief system). Uniting as caste has already brought many common understandings under one umbrella. So, why reject that?

If you deem Brahminism as narrow communalism, I am afraid I must disagree. It is communalism if we interfere with other belief systems and destroy their faith and opportunities. Fighting for our own fair treatment is not narrow communalism.

I think police profession is not any different from many others that Brahmins have been driven out. Yes, when I mean driven out, the institution of government has been used to reject opportunities for Brahmins. Brahmins can't get easily promotions in State or Central Government. When they see a less qualified person being promoted ahead of them, they don't want to continue that profession. That is one way how they are being driven out of each profession by government institutions.

This forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins. It is built around a belief system that most people here share. Hence, it is not required to be politically correct. We unite both based on issues and based on our caste (aka belief system). Uniting as caste has already brought many common understandings under one umbrella. So, why reject that?

If you deem Brahminism as narrow communalism, I am afraid I must disagree. It is communalism if we interfere with other belief systems and destroy their faith and opportunities. Fighting for our own fair treatment is not narrow communalism.

Dear DrBarani:

Welcome... nice getting a breeze from B'lore, India.

1. Please jog your memory to the British Raj (& before) and all the preferences that the Brahmins enjoyed in the Civil Services... and how they dominated the Varna classification... always past has a say in the future.

What the post-Independent India is doing is to "level the playing field" to other communities who were rotting under the weights of other "preferred-communities" as per the Varna System. Forget about the Public Sector which is only a minor portion of the whole economy. The majority of the big shows happen in the Private Sector. Even in this Public Sector, even today, Bs are having a major presence in the Indian Civil Services, I believe.

As of today, in the private sector, Bs are the dominant force even though they comprise of only about 5% of the Indian population.

2, This forum is meant for TBs and OTHERS... for "Brahmin Points of View" and other POVs.... that's the key to the popularity of this Forum, I believe... Praveen, the owner has articulated this view many times... Please read the Mission Statement and the Rules and Regulations.

To repeat, this Forum is NOT to shut out other POVs.

Take care DrB.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear DrBarani:

Welcome... nice getting a breeze from B'lore, India.

1. Please jog your memory to the British Raj (& before) and all the preferences that the Brahmins enjoyed in the Civil Services... and how they dominated the Varna classification... always past has a say in the future.

What the post-Independent India is doing is to "level the playing field" to other communities who were rotting under the weights of other "preferred-communities" as per the Varna System. Forget about the Public Sector which is only a minor portion of the whole economy. The majority of the big shows happen in the Private Sector. Even in this Public Sector, even today, Bs are having a major presence in the Indian Civil Services, I believe.

As of today, in the private sector, Bs are the dominant force even though they comprise of only about 5% of the Indian population.

2, This forum is meant for TBs and OTHERS... for "Brahmin Points of View" and other POVs.... that's the key to the popularity of this Forum, I believe... Praveen, the owner has articulated this view many times... Please read the Mission Statement and the Rules and Regulations.

To repeat, this Forum is NOT to shut out other POVs.

Take care DrB.

Cheers.

There has never been any attempt to shut out views from others; hence don't get too defensive there. Firstly, I hold a view that Brahmins are on the receiving end in Tamil Nadu in particular in an organized shadow attempt to drive them out of many professions, including Police. Secondly, I object to the attempt to label "unity of Brahmins" as narrow communalism. I stand by my views. I do not see them a violation of any mission statement or terms of service. Thank you.

I think police profession is not any different from many others that Brahmins have been driven out. Yes, when I mean driven out, the institution of government has been used to reject opportunities for Brahmins. Brahmins can't get easily promotions in State or Central Government. When they see a less qualified person being promoted ahead of them, they don't want to continue that profession. That is one way how they are being driven out of each profession by government institutions. .

Thanks drb. First of all my thread was about the appreciation of police work, particularly in tamil nadu. at one point or the other, many of us may have gone to the police.

In our case, when I was around 8, some jewellery was stolen, and the police found it within a day. undoubtedly some rough tactics were used, I heard, but I was young, and was impressed by the quick response. My uncle was in IPS Gujarat and faced no discrimination. It is just that he got better offers in the private sectors with his skills and jumped ship.

Which comes to the crux of your argument that Brahmins have been driven out of govt professions. I will only consider tambrams as this is the only community I know and belong (I am a pattar from kerala).

I think once upon a time tambrams formed majority of the erstwhile madras govt jobs. We are only 3% or so of the population, and we cannot hog the public service, which is service to all. The situation today, is even if we are reserved 3% government jobs, I doubt whether there will be enough takers from our community to fill the quota. That is my take.

We have always been adventurous. Since 1920s, we moved to Malaya, burma, Singapore, Ceylon in search of greener pastures. After 1947, we moved north to delhi and Bombay and Calcutta in large numbers. Jobs were plenty there, and salaries far more handsome, than what was paid in madras or Coimbatore. Later, starting with the 60s, we discovered that land of milk and honey, the usa. Since then we as a community have looked outwards for quick upward mobility.

I agree that govt jobs are closed to us, but I think, it has been more a blessing, for it opened up our eyes to opportunities for us, that we would otherwise have ignored. Complacent govt jobs generation after generation..is that what you want? You yourself has USA experience, and that itself is a testimony to our community’s willingness to eschew rigidity imposed on our caste by our scriptures if it is to our benefit (I think we are not supposed to cross the kala pani. Right?)

The government has used its job creation and educational institutions as instruments of social progress. No where else in the world, has 25% of the population deemed not even human to be fit into the community. Nowehere has population fragmented to so many units, thanks to manu. Nowhere else in the world, has a priestly minority wielded moral authority like the Brahmins. Tambrams, in my opinion, were perhaps the worst abusers of the caste system with their ‘othippO’ attitudes. Mercifully most of us have discarded such beastly mindsets, but it still prevails, within a few, and if they suffer because of this, it is for them and them alone to rectify their situation. No amount of community help is going to set right warped minds.

This forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins. It is built around a belief system that most people here share. Hence, it is not required to be politically correct. We unite both based on issues and based on our caste (aka belief system). Uniting as caste has already brought many common understandings under one umbrella. So, why reject that? .

Please read the constitution of the forum. As in my earlier note to you, this is not a breast beating group lamenting the loss of premiership of tambrams within the tamil society. I think there are others there,with uniformity of views, and where each members vies with the other, as to who can narrate great harms to done the tambrams, brams, Hinduism, mother india et al, starting from the Islamic invasion to the current corrupt influence of the west and internet.

Brahminism is a loaded word. The term today implies insularity, a sense of lost entitlement, and social presitige and such. It could also mean, exclusiveness and reservation to priesthood, and such like. So I am not sure what your definition is. There is a thread here as to what is a current day Brahmin.

My definition of communalism, is the tendency to look at everything from the narrow viewpoint of the ‘tambram community’, which again, as you have said, has disunity as its trademark. So, I do not understand why, when we are so prosperous, like we never have been, have a large say in many many industrial and technical organizations, and influence far above what our numbers warrant, that we have to be ‘Fighting for our own fair treatment’.

If it is to abolish reservations in educational institutions, forget it. It is a social tool for getting representation in the professions across communities. As long as we are a democracy those things will stay. Atleast for another 50 yeas. It is time for us to move on beyond the mindset of hating reservations.

Firstly, I respectfully disagree with your claim that brahmins are prosperous. Perhaps you haven't been to villages at all. Historically this has been the case. We never read any old tale that started with "there lived a rich brahmin". It was always "there lived a poor brahmin". Brahmins were always poor. Somehow you seem to believe they became prosperous in the past fifty plus years. But that is not my observation when I travel and visit places.

Secondly

Nowhere else in the world, has a priestly minority wielded moral authority like the Brahmins. Tambrams, in my opinion, were perhaps the worst abusers of the caste system with their ‘othippO’ attitudes. Mercifully most of us have discarded such beastly mindsets, but it still prevails, within a few, and if they suffer because of this, it is for them and them alone to rectify their situation. No amount of community help is going to set right warped minds.

That is some pretty big charge on brahmins. Power wielding? By Tamil Brahmins? You haven't been to the north. The "upper class" in the north isn't brahmins. And they are the ones who wield power on "dalit lower class" and it happens even today! Why do you think Mayawati struck a political alliance between Dalits and Brahmins?

The notion that Tamil Brahmins have wielded some sort of mystical power on the rest of the society is a huge disinformation campaign from the Dravidian forces. Class warfare was a trick used by Dravidian forces to win elections. It wasn't even their own personal beliefs, evident from who are all close to Mr.Karunanidhi. Sad to see so many people falling into organized spin. Demonizing a nonviolent (unarmed, unlikely to rebel) class was what Hitler did about Jews. That is what is being done in TN. So, I flat out reject your hypothesis that TN brahmins had somehow 'ruled' the streets in history. The "untouchability" that you gently touched upon, isn't exclusive to anyone on the streets. If my father is getting ready for pooja and I am in the way, he will tell me to "Othippo!" so that he doesn't want to touch me. Does that mean he has discriminated against me? Such practices were mainly personal choices and not part of any class warfare.

lamenting the loss of premiership of tambrams within the tamil society

You are very skilled in coining fancy statements and falsely attributing to me, however, I will generously ignore them from now on.

However, if my declaration of support for the unity for tamil brahmins or any set of brahmins (in toto or in part) is an anathema to anyone, I can't help it and I am not going to change that.

We fight for fair treatment in every aspect of life. That includes unfair government rules. There is no need to just "resign and move on" to other sides. Not many brahmins have that opportunity to move on. Should the Jews in Europe have moved on because of Nazis? Should the Native Africans have moved on because they couldn't fight back the British? It is easy to make such statements sitting in the comfort of a leather sofa and airconditioned room. The reality is, 95% of brahmins still poor, like the rest of the people of India. I fight for every downtrodden, but not necessarily under the same group/umbrella.

drb,

thank you for enlightening me that 95% of tambrams are poor. i did not know that. i could challenge it, but it will be getting no where. i think.

also, i was under the impression, that there has been a wholescale abandonment of village agraharams. i may be mistaken my understanding of this too.

i wish you success re your struggle for the downtrodden tambrams.

best wishes ...

DrBarani, Greetings!

I have two comments.

....This forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins.
From what I understand, this is more a forum about Tamil Brahmins than a forum meant for Tamil Brahmins.

Demonizing a nonviolent (unarmed, unlikely to rebel) class was what Hitler did about Jews. That is what is being done in TN.
Hitler massacred 6 million Jews, he had devised the infamous "final solution". There is not a single verifiable report of a TB suffering bodily harm by the Dravidian movement. The most one could say is some DK sympathizer they cut poonool, or put a garland of foot-ware to a photo of Rama. So, IMO, any comparison of treatment TBs think they are being subjected to with that of European Jews during Nazi Germany is grotesque.

Cheers!

A few years before, I was visiting New Delhi from Chennai immediately after Deepavali.I noticed good number of young Tamilians all bachelors
traveling in the compartment.They were moving from one sleeper coach to the other.They belonged to different communities,including
forward communities.( I am not using the term B 'lest Thiru.Y' does not get affected.Often wonder why 'Thiru.Y' having chosen a girl from'B'
community as his life partner and also very successful in life mainly because of his life partner(this is purely my personal opinion) does not
appreciate the positive side of B community.)
My interaction with the Boys revealed that their names were in the selected panel for considerable time and all of them were recently appointed to Tamilnadu Police
Force and after training sent to Newdelhi for guarding Tihar Jail outer security ring.All of them were gratuates/postgratuates.
Thiru.Kamaraj Nadar was the person who arranged for deployment of one Battalion of Tamilnadu Armed Reserve Police in New Delhi
to guard all foreign embassies located in New Delhi and this is continuing till date.Ihave not seen police force from any other State in New Delhi.One Shri.C.V.Narasimhan a relative of my father's cousin(through marriage) joined Indian Police Service in the year 1954 when I joined
Central Govt service as a clerk and retired as Chief of RAW an organisation for external Security.
Ps.I am confident Thiru.Y will be laughing after reading my post(if he gets opportunity to read this post).I like Thiru.Y as as a Human Being and also
his openness and airing his views frankly on any topic.

Last edited:
DrBarani, Greetings!

Wish you the same and more!

From what I understand, this is more a forum about Tamil Brahmins than a forum meant for Tamil Brahmins.

Possibly, but that doesn't still refute the fact that it is for Tamil Brahmins, no? It is inclusive of others doesn't mean it prevents someone from citing a few points about tamil brahmins.

Hitler massacred 6 million Jews, he had devised the infamous "final solution". There is not a single verifiable report of a TB suffering bodily harm by the Dravidian movement. The most one could say is some DK sympathizer they cut poonool, or put a garland of foot-ware to a photo of Rama. So, IMO, any comparison of treatment TBs think they are being subjected to with that of European Jews during Nazi Germany is grotesque.

Often emotional onslaught is worse than physical onslaught. Schemed and perpetrated oppression of one class of people under the lame disinformed stereotypism about "they oppressed others for centuries!" is evil Nazism.

We should take up the topic of whether Brahmins are suffering, whether they are discriminated, whether there is unity among them etc to another topic, since the original topic here was about Police and I'd like to respect that (though may be a bit guilty of digression myself).

We fight for fair treatment in every aspect of life. That includes unfair government rules. There is no need to just "resign and move on" to other sides. Not many brahmins have that opportunity to move on. Should the Jews in Europe have moved on because of Nazis? Should the Native Africans have moved on because they couldn't fight back the British? It is easy to make such statements sitting in the comfort of a leather sofa and airconditioned room. The reality is, 95% of brahmins still poor, like the rest of the people of India. I fight for every downtrodden, but not necessarily under the same group/umbrella.

Dr.Barani,

I agree with you cent percent. Brahmin's in TN are at a gruesome state of affair. Majority of the Brahmins fall under the category of poor class-lower class-middle class. The reservation quota in India/TN is playing havoc on Brahmins and other forward classes, right from education to employment in Govt. services. Since we belong to Brahmin cast; like you, I would prefer to stand for ourselves as a group in unity. I personally would leave the responsibilities of other forward casts to protect their interest with the strength and support of their own groups.

Apart from facing the travails and ordeals of Govt. reservation quota by Brahmins and other forward cast, we Brahmins been discriminated in private sectors too. Brahmins are ill treated and isolated by way of groupism among others. In a day to day life, we Brahmins in TN face many challenges and disappointments.

Hats off to the MNC's/BPO's where such groupism and discriminations does not exist. The reward and recognition for workmanship is unbiased. All could enjoy the benefits and respect for their commitment and productivity.

Most of the Brahmins from Cities could make their way out of India to live in peace and harmony and are now in safer and comfortable zones. Still many Brahmin families in cities and villages are almost alienated. As far as my knowledge is concerned, lots and lots of poor Brahmins are suffering and are living in agony. The future of many above average students of these poor and middle class Brahmins families are in stake.

Very few Brahmins could continue in Police Services. Many had to quit being unable to follow the political and social practices of police personals, that we all are well aware of. Many Brahmin police officers had quit the services and got into different career for a descent and better environment. Having worked in Police department, many don't reveal the true reason behind their resignation, as a matter of discipline, decency, self dignity and self respect (Not only Brahmins. Any cast person who can't indulge in wrong practices, had quit police department and refrain from disclosing the truth).

The irony is, we could not formulate our self as a productive and potent ion group of community in unity, to fight atrocities and protect our interests. We all are fighting for fundamental rights, upholding doctrine of civil rights to all including gay/lesbian marriages. But could not succeed in abolishing formulated quota systems based on cast. We could not succeed in establishing a fair game play to all irrespective of any cast, religion and financial strength in India, as per the merit of each citizen. How come democracy can be into systematic and selective discriminations?

Knowing these inabilities, many of us have just moved away to a greener pasture and others who could not, are keeping quiet and living with a sense of insecurity, uncertainties, fear and desperation.

IFS and IPS demands Rajasic qualities, determination and the mental strength to heed to politicians, corruptions, under cover works etc.etc.

Thus we can’t find much of Brahmins taking up these services.

If we could have had these qualities and a sense of unity as a group, we could have achieved safeguarding our interests, IMO.

A few years before, I was visiting New Delhi from Chennai immediately after Deepavali.I noticed good number of young Tamilians all bachelors
traveling in the compartment.They were moving from one sleeper coach to the other.They belonged to different communities,including
forward communities.( I am not using the term B 'lest Thiru.Y' does not get affected.Often wonder why 'Thiru.Y' having chosen a girl from'B'
community as his life partner and also very successful in life mainly because of his life partner(this is purely my personal opinion) does not
appreciate the positive side of B community.)
My interaction with the Boys revealed that their names were in the selected panel for considerable time and all of them were recently appointed to Tamilnadu Police
Force and after training sent to Newdelhi for guarding Tihar Jail outer security ring.All of them were gratuates/postgratuates.
Thiru.Kamaraj Nadar was the person who arranged for deployment of one Battalion of Tamilnadu Armed Reserve Police in New Delhi
to guard all foreign embassies located in New Delhi and this is continuing till date.Ihave not seen police force from any other State in New Delhi.One Shri.C.V.Narasimhan a relative of my father's cousin(through marriage) joined Indian Police Service in the year 1954 when I joined
Central Govt service as a clerk and retired as Chief of RAW an organisation for external Security.
Ps.I am confident Thiru.Y will be laughing after reading my post(if he gets opportunity to read this post).I like Thiru.Y as as a Human Being and also
his openness and airing his views frankly on any topic.

Dear Krish Sir:

Indeed, I was laughing out loud on reading your post.

1. Somewhere in this Forum, I wrote a long post to inform everybody how my professors at Madura College (a Brahmin college where I decided to apply for) and Madurai Kamaraj University Dept (all foreign trained TBs) identified me and encouraged me during my studies there.

This should tell you that I don't have any negative feelings at all for Bs or TBs.

I am only saying that I don't believe a word of Organized Religions and the Gods they created, because about 40 years ago I walked away from all of them to eventually become a Naturalist.

2. At my graduate studies, I happened to be a very popular person and I had lots of boys and girls as friends and colleagues.

Some of my friends have commented like... "You see this guy Y, he is a smooth talker and he always charms everyone, even girls, even TB girls.. they all giggle with ease for whatever he says...man... what does he have that we don't have.. anyway we all like him too".!!!! Lol

It was just an accident I came to know of my future wife, who happened to be a TB.. you may choose to believe it or not.

It's very nice you indicated that there were bachelors .."including from forward communities" and the program was started by Paramount Leader K. Kamaraj - I used to be an ardent admirer of him.

Cheers.

Regards.

Y

ps. Krish Sir - Do you believe what Mr. Ravi is talking about in post #13.. I am of the opinion that nearly 80-90% of the Bs or TBs are financially better off than most other communities... I will listen to your well considered opinion on this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dr Sri.Bharani, Greetings. Welcome to the forum.

We should take up the topic of whether Brahmins are suffering, whether they are discriminated, whether there is unity among them etc to another topic, since the original topic here was about Police and I'd like to respect that (though may be a bit guilty of digression myself).

In my opinion, you are not guilty of digression in this thread. Sri. Kunjuppu, in his opening post did ask
always wondered why we dont go for police career.
, 'we' meaning, Tamil Brahmins, I suppose. Your write ups are in line with the query. So, I don't see any digression.

As Tamil Bramin forum, it is quite understandable for the Tamil Brahmin community to discuss their grievances. This forum is meant for that too, besides other discussions. You are well within your right as a member to discus your concerns.

Cheers!

Dr Sri.Bharani, Greetings. Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, you are not guilty of digression in this thread. Sri. Kunjuppu, in his opening post did ask , 'we' meaning, Tamil Brahmins, I suppose. Your write ups are in line with the query. So, I don't see any digression.

As Tamil Bramin forum, it is quite understandable for the Tamil Brahmin community to discuss their grievances. This forum is meant for that too, besides other discussions. You are well within your right as a member to discus your concerns.

Cheers!

thank you raghy for that smooth intervention. :)

i will request this dialogue with you and you only, if you dont mind.

the intent of my thread, atleast at start, was to touch upon lucrative careers that we tambrams shun only for reasons known to ourselves. in my own case, i was literally directed away from medicine, armed forces, merchant navy, police and such. accounting engineering was ok.

i believe, that there is an intrinsic dislike, avoidance for certain types of jobs, of which now includes vaideekam (from what i hear, good paying, but unable to find brides per the neeya naana show, and from numerous posts here too).

for any 'unemployables' the armed forces is an option. a cousin of mine, deemed 'no good' joined the air force, and retired with decent pension. my own family vadhiar's son, protesting at the restricted life, ran away and joined the army. barring these two, i do not know of anyone in the indian armed forces. one uncle joined IPS, did well to find contacts, who paid him 10 times the salary in private sector and so jumped ship.

is there a stigma in our minds against certain professions? that was my intent, and ofcourse, an ode to our chennai police. based on what i hear of lawlessness in the north, i consider our urban chennai, b'lore and mumbai police tops. it is not an easy job, and our perception of the ஏட்டு is mired with prejudice, possibly an hold over from the raj days. we do not look upon him as a saviour of our society, which is what we consider a policeman, in my canadian society, and possibly in your own australian one.

hope this explains, and i wish to solicit your opinion, if you would so oblige.

i thank you.

Last edited:
dear raghy,

i have another query for you. it has been longstanding in my mind, and certain passionate posts here has revived this curiosity in me again. i apologize for any bother. to me, it will be more of a learning experience.

if i am not mistaken, you have said that you come from the village. i am urban brought up, and would like to consider myself the second generation removed from lower mid class level (this means rice& sambaram on evenings, no outings, new clothes twice a year, basic electricity, no fan, government or aided schools, no vehicles at home bar the bike, home maker mom, lots of siblings, a clerk or deskjob father, rented portion of a large house with common facilities, enough to eat but no fancy stuff).

i too have lived this way, till my dad moved upscale to what i consider a mid middle class.

would this be considered poverty level under today's standards. afaik there are no tambrams living in the slums. all of us have somewhat extensive coverage of the community through blood and society. do you know of any tambram living in the slums, anywhere in india?

elsewhere in this thread, it has beens stated that '95% of the tambrams are still poor'. now you, like me, are an expat, nri or whatever term we can use. the reality is that we are tambrams, brought up in tamil nadu, and moved abroad 20-30+ years ago.

what, in your mind, is the common living standard of 95% tambrams. a snapshot. to be specific, if we exclude the top 5%, what do you think is the average lifestyle of the rest? also, maybe, if you dont mind, base it on, your personal friends, relatives, acquantances. not on hearsay.

i do not wish to engage drb, in what may become an intense encounter right now. based on his longevity in the forum, and more familiarity, i will save it later :)

thank you.

ps: poverty can be defined in many ways. there is the slum dweller. to me he is poor. anyone living in a brick house, qualifies to start from the lowest strata of middle class, and based on the living quarters, various stages of middle, to upper class. to some here, definition of poverty for a tambram, might or could be different. i will acknowledge that. the purpose is to understand what defines 'poverty' for a tambram.

pps. can we confine ourselves to tambrams, because that is what we are. also that is what i can relate to. even other tamil communities, though i have high familiarity, i do not know enough to compare.

Last edited:
Dear Shri.Yamaka,
I agree with the last sentence of Shri.Ravi's post No.13 that there is no unity in the Brahmin community.This will be only a dream of a few
and it may never,never,happen.No other community can be blamed for this.
As regards,his grievance about discrimination of Brahmin community,I am not in a position to offer my comments as I left Tamilnadu
for employment in North India in the year 1953 and was visiting my native place once in three or four years and that too for short spells.
Persons from Brahmin community who were financially very sound and whose children could score high percentage of marks did not face much problem.Lower middle class Brahmin families,whose children scored very high marks also did not face much problem.My sister's daughter could get admission to MBBS course in Chennai purely on merit.We come from a lower middle class family.Some of our relative boys could get admission in Guindy Engineering College under the reservation policy.
Parents who are not financially well off and whose children were very mediocre faced difficulty in getting admissions to the courses of their choice and good institutions of their choice.Children of temple priestly class had definite disadvantage in getting good education.
Most of the Brahmin community (except temple priestly class)wanted to educate their wards even by raising loans.This awareness was not there among BCs,OBCs and SC/St community till a few years before.Now they also want to give education to their children.So with limited opportunities and everyone desiring to have good education,brahmins who had never experienced such a situation a few years before started feeling the heat.
As the total population of Brahmin community is about 5%,the number of persons who could not get opportunity to give good education to their children is bound to be far less than parents from BC,OBC,SC/ST community in a similar situation.
Personally,I do not find any fault with the present Reservation policy of the Government.If this policy results in uplifting all from BCs,OBCs,SC/ST within a time frame,it will be really good for India.
My sympathies are with persons from all the communities who are economically very weak and who are yet to get opportunity to give good education to their wards.

Last edited:
..... afaik there are no tambrams living in the slums. all of us have somewhat extensive coverage of the community through blood and society. do you know of any tambram living in the slums, anywhere in india?
K, this is a question no TB dare face. They love to dwell in victimhood mindset, meritocracy, privileges taken away, DK rhetoric of hate, etc.

We want to see what we want to see. For TBs, humanity consists of Iyers, and reluctantly Iyengars. If there is poverty within this group, then that is a crime of whomsoever is in power.

Cheers!

Dr.Barani,
Very few Brahmins could continue in Police Services. Many had to quit being unable to follow the political and social practices of police personals, that we all are well aware of. Many Brahmin police officers had quit the services and got into different career for a descent and better environment. Having worked in Police department, many don't reveal the true reason behind their resignation, as a matter of discipline, decency, self dignity and self respect (Not only Brahmins. Any cast person who can't indulge in wrong practices, had quit police department and refrain from disclosing the truth).

Pl allow me to add that in addition to the above, Brahmins are fundamentally averse to displaying an aggressive and violent posture that is frequently expected from a Police officer. Brahmins can't easily take a gun and threaten anyone, let alone shoot. That is not how any of us are brought up.

Here is one man, who defrauded me Rs.26,000. What do I do? I gripe to Lord Ganesha and move on. If it was some other person he would have bought a gun and gone after that money. That is why brahmins cannot join 'armed forces' and remain happy. Our nonviolent trait precedes Gandhiji by many hundred years.

Sometimes I am not even very concerned that tamil brahmins are trashed by political and religious mafias. It bothers me more that some of our own brahmins deem my call for unity as politically incorrect. I can handle an enemy. I can't handle a betraying friend.

Dear Mr.Krishnamurthy

Good to know you were brave enough to beat the odds and emerge successfully in life.

Personally, I am not so against this reservation business. However, I am against giving an excuse that "brahmins did this to the other group! so lets give reservation!". Why? People can change their caste. After all, they can change even their religion, they should be able to change their caste easier. We all know about the history of Brahacharanam.

To all those who oppose "caste", I demand to know how much they have opposed religion, or the subsects (a fancy word for caste) in those religions. How many have opposed Rajputs and called them to "drop their caste and level the playing field" with Dalits? How many have asked Sikhs to shave and "level the playing field" with others? Why only "Brahmins are guilty of social oppression"? That is because coward bullies can only target the weakest nerd in the class.

"To all those who oppose "caste", I demand to know how much they have opposed religion, or the subsects (a fancy word for caste) in those religions." - DrBarani asked.

Hello DrB:

I have said many times here that Man created all the religions and their Gods to exploit unsuspecting masses, to control them and harass them in the name of discipline and order.

I rejected this and walked away from the clutches of Religion and Gods and attained Freedom ... I never prayed any God any time in the last 40 years and I am very happy about it.

So, now you know me!

Take care.

Last edited:
"To all those who oppose "caste", I demand to know how much they have opposed religion, or the subsects (a fancy word for caste) in those religions." - DrBarani asked.

Hello DrB:

I have said many times here that Man created all the religions and their Gods to exploit unsuspecting masses, to control them and harass them in the name of discipline and order.

I rejected this and walked away from the clutches of Religion and Gods and attained Freedom ... I never prayed any God any time in the last 40 years and I am very happy about it.

So, now you know me!

Take care.

You are referring to organized religion. Hinduism is not a centrally organized religion. In Hinduism people have their freedom to choose their beliefs, lifestyles, including the right to discard ceremonial aspects. Some of the ceremonial aspects are overbearing and the big picture is lost in their shadows. But should we not continue to expand our thought process? Should it stop as soon as we declare "I am out of religion! Thank God!".

Man created Belief System. True. But that is out of his necessity to explain existentialism. You may not agree with the solution but you can't deny that there remains a question that is outside any known logical framework.

hi K sir,
just info...........my paternal grand father joined police force during Brtish period as constable and retied as sub inspector during

british period....very honest/ hard working TAMBRAM........british utilized our honesty......still many TAMBRAM girls in TN police....

i know many of them........

regards
tbs

Dr.Bharani,
You are aware that even among brothers and sisters living in one house,difference of opinion do occur often.Yes.I was born in a Brahmin community.In my childhood days,
I also held certain views about Brahmin community.As I was growing,I have noticed how my parents have been moving with different communities without much
differentiation and how they were always sympathetic to poorer sections of the Society.Every one imbibes certain values from the elders of the family.
On days when some ceremonies like Srardham etc were held,we would have observed some restrictions in admitting outsiders inside the house.Even children were not allowed to come inside.Otherwise,we have been moving with all communities.
Instead of thinking as a particular group within Hinduism,let us think of strengthening
the Hindu religion and foster unity among all followers of Hinduism.
IMHO,the future of Brahmin community will be good only if they get along well with different communities
following the Hindu way of Life. Confrontation with other communities will only harm the community in the long run.So long as the caste identity exists in Hindu Society,
Persons born in Brahmin Community will have to identify themselves only as Brahmins.There is no escape.
WE come as individuals in this world and will leave as individuals.All of us have been allotted predetermined life span.Further the ultimate goal of a Hindu is to realize
Divinity within.Let criticism from others may not affect us in our spiritual progress.
Regards,
B.Krishnamurthy
PS:-I do not know the story of 'Brahacharanam'.Request you to send a PM to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back