• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Our Daily practices / customs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooms are also not handed over, just dropped on the floor to pick up. Broom has fearsome reputation - witches, 'viLakkumathu kattaiyala adi', and now AAP.

hi

even knife/any iron things should not handed over too....just drop in floor.....' illavittaal veetil sandai varum....

Not to be handed over items are many more!

curry leaves; needles; raw mango; tamarind - to mention a few I remember right now! :D

No Renuka,

To be honest with you, it is more like 'white things signify Lakshmi and it is not good to 'lend' Lakshmi after it turns dark, it is like giving away your household Lakshmi forever'... this is as much as I can remember.

Thanks JR for the explanation..I did not know this.

But even then..can we give away our household Lakshmi forever if we firmly place Lord Vishnu in our hearts? ..after all Lord Vishnu is Shree Nivasa....Shree(Lakshmi) has no choice but to stay where Lord Vishnu is...whether curds are given or not?

Not to be handed over items are many more!

curry leaves; needles; raw mango; tamarind - to mention a few I remember right now! :D

I have heard this and seen this being practiced by my father's relatives.

But what about giving someone an injection?The needle goes into the body and comes out!LOL

The rituals during last rites have a few special features and those are NOT followed daily.

This includes coming out with untied wet hair from the bathroom; having an untimely bath at night; drawing single line kOlam;

making rice balls while eating (!!); bringing wet cloths from relatives house; grinding flour after 10 p.m.; facing the lamp to South;

crying while having a head bath! There may be a few more in this list.

P.S: I have got a few scoldings from my mom during my childhood days, for crying to have a head bath!! :lol:

Always remember to get the injection from your nurse.

Don't get ONLY the needle from her and fix it to the syringe. :D

Dear RR ji,

I never allow nurses to handle any needle or syringe.

I take it myself..and fix it right in front of the patient so that the patient sees that its all done well and I draw the medicine myself too.

I keep my needles and syringes far from me so that I will have to get up a walk to take it..so indirectly I get exercise too!

I have been to clinics where doctors do not get up from the seats and ask the nurse to fill the syringe with the medication in another room and give it to the doctor.

I totally dislike that cos what if the nurse makes a mistake and uses the wrong medication?

At the end of the day a nurse will not be sued if anything goes wrong.

That is why I make sure I do everything myself right in front of the patient so there is no risk of wrong medication and patient feels more confident that doc is handling everything.

I do not even allow nurses to do wound dressing.

I do everything myself.

I have noted the docs who never leave their seat often invariably are fat!LOL

Last edited:

P.S: I have got a few scoldings from my mom during my childhood days, for crying to have a head bath!! :lol:

LOL!

Me too!

When I was a small child my mum used to give me head bath and I used to feel as if I could not breathe cos she would pour water over my head so fast that I felt that I was going to die!LOL

So I would cry whenever she wanted to bathe me and I would get scolding for that.

As I grew older and started bathing myself..I liked head bath with a shower cos it felt like "rain drops keep falling on my head" and I used to sing in the bathroom too!

....... I do everything myself. ........
You remind me of my dad. :)

He had a compounder to assist him but used to grind and pack the medicines himself. Compounder uncle had to just give it to the

patients. Those days, disposable syringes were not available in the market. He used
sterilize all the syringes and needles at home.

As kids, we loved to watch him set the syringes in a rectangular based steel box, poke the needles in a rubber lids of penicillin bottles,

insert thin fiber like steel rods in the needle holes, keep them in another steel box, fill the boxes with filtered water and boil them for

about 15 minutes. He has an electric hotplate for this purpose, in the front room of our sweet home at Anaimalai! All the blood tests

and urine tests were also done by him. He was an all-in-all medical practitioner. :thumb:

Last edited:
If you are strict vegetarian then you avoid eating chicken, mutton etc all the time. If you avoid eating meat only during specific times you are NOT Strict Vegetarian, May be a dictionary can help.

We all are here and we all have ego. Without ego we should not display our opinion. So to call some one else as egoistic is arrogance or ignorance.

Replace the word 'vegetarian' with 'non-vegetarian' and you will get some idea.

Some more customs:
1. Never give money on Tuesdays & Fridays
2. Have for Females oil bath on Fridays and males on Saturdays
3. Putting rice to crow before having food...I do not find crows in Gurgaon..We at best find food for pigeons

Hi All,

I would like to know when i could perform tonsure for my child? My daughter is already three months old and my late father's demise is only 1.5 months. Do i need to postpone after janma shraddha of my father or do the tonsure in the nearest possible date?

Thanks.

Cutting the nail in sandiya kalam of evening is not preferred as it is not good for our health. Likely hood of getting cut our fingers' part instead of nail as lighting is poor when compared to daytime. It is also told not to cut on Tuesday & Friday as these days in order to get prosperity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back