• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

(our attitude towards) old age homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir,

I am sorry to state that, I would read your post and pass on my comments, if I find you picking up my NAME (RAVI) in any of your posts in this thread..

thank you ravi. i have indeed removed your name from the offending post. it was in no way meant to convey anything disrespectful.

it was inappropriate perhaps, even to quote your name there. but the language flowed freely, and i did not have a chance to edit it, as your reply came so soon.

best wishes.

....I favour on parents and children living together, where ever possible.
Dear B sir, IMO, the pleasures of living with children and grandchildren is what our life is about. Even in the U.S., where individuality and freedom are supposed to be valued, you will find parents living very close to the kids, and in some cases in the same house. This is not totally unheard of as some houses have what is called MIL suite with separate entrance and perhaps even a separate kitchen.

However, life-long preparation is necessary for such an experience to be pleasurable for both parties. We must prepare ourselves to put to practice the adage தோளுக்கு மிஞ்சினால் தோழன். The parents must learn to show unconditional love to the children without smothering them with it or being possessive. We must not interfere in their lives unless they ask for advice. If they don't ask for advice, that must not be viewed as lack of respect, or love. We must view our role in our children's lives as love-giver. Sometimes this may mean accepting choices the children make that we do not agree with.

If a parent is unable to do these, then it is best for both the parent and child to live as far away as possible. If parents are able to do these, they will experience pleasures that are only promised after death by world religions.

Cheers!

A movie that changed my life, one that taught me the importance of accepting our children as they are, and the winning power of unconditional love, Quinceañera -- a moving tale of a granduncle's love for two cousins, one gay and the other pregnant. Watch it here for a really moving picture that has a message for all of us who are ever ready to be disappointed by our kids.

YouTube - ‪Quinceañera Movie (2006) part 1/9‬‏

Cheers!

Dear B sir, IMO, the pleasures of living with children and grandchildren is what our life is about. Even in the U.S., where individuality and freedom are supposed to be valued, you will find parents living very close to the kids, and in some cases in the same house. This is not totally unheard of as some houses have what is called MIL suite with separate entrance and perhaps even a separate kitchen.

However, life-long preparation is necessary for such an experience to be pleasurable for both parties. We must prepare ourselves to put to practice the adage தோளுக்கு மிஞ்சினால் தோழன். The parents must learn to show unconditional love to the children without smothering them with it or being possessive. We must not interfere in their lives unless they ask for advice. If they don't ask for advice, that must not be viewed as lack of respect, or love. We must view our role in our children's lives as love-giver. Sometimes this may mean accepting choices the children make that we do not agree with.

If a parent is unable to do these, then it is best for both the parent and child to live as far away as possible. If parents are able to do these, they will experience pleasures that are only promised after death by world religions.

Cheers!

Dear Sri "Nara",

I am happy that I have a friend in my line of thinking. As you have rightly expressed, the pleasure of living with children and grand children is some thing precious, for which we should be ready to change with the times. At the end of the day we realise that all our activities revolve around building up a family and leave every thing that we acquired to the next generation. This is what our previous generations have been doing and the future generations also will do. In the process why can't the elders shed our hold over the youngsters slowly and hand over the responsibility of running the family to the next generation and guide them if needed, and live happily in a joint family.

We are individuals by birth and nature, compatibility comes out of give and take between persons. Families are built on mutual acceptance and respect. Once we gain the confidence of the other person, acceptance blossoms naturally. Harmonious relationship between MIL and DIL is essential for the success of united family. I have found, If we create a congenial atmosphere for the young newcomer to the family to enjoy her freedom and encourage her initiative DIL will be more affectionate than a daughter.

Hindu Undivided Family is a wonderful concept which worked very well with our previous generations in the Agriculture based society. After the advent of accepting western mode of acquiring wealth, it has withered away slowly.

It is my hope with course correction, we can bring back the concept of living as a family again with changes suited to the modern day.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

B,

your post #29. i like it too. i too wish for a life with my children.

i live in canada and for this to happen, the kids have to live in toronto. which may or may not happen.

when we came to settle here, we built a circle of friends. friends are by choice, and are families, where the spouses got along great and the children became friends too. most of the friends lived within half hour driving. so, the absence of children is not so easily or quickly felt.

you raised a good point re treatment of dils. nowadays, any smart parent of sons, will treat their dil like princesses. even better than their own daughters. this will pay off. love given love received.

avoid dowry. pitch in 50% for wedding expenses. appreciate the love she has for her parents, and express a willingness to accommodate them too in their old age. after all girls' parents are humans too. no?

to me it appears you, sangom are lucky to have live with your children, peacefully and with contentment. for those both to happen, i think, changes of attitudes and (more important) ego should happen - especially to the father. very very happy for you sir.

then there is the other side. self and missus have been working for a lifetime. to us, retirement means travel, more relaxation, picking up a couple of pasttimes that we can do together (contract bridge?), sharing the household a la start of marriage life ie a second honeymoon. with those expectations, the presence of children, and the ever demanding needs of the growiing up grand children, can also be viewed as tiring.

we hope for a part time grand parenthood. take care of the grand kids on occassions. pamper these. help out monetarily if needed. but let the parents rear their own progeny. we expect to find, that our chldren will have their own ideas of bringing up their kids. they have very clearly told us, as to what they think of our rearing them - the good and the bad, as they view it.

the last thing we want is to interfere or even give a semblance of interfering.

which comes to the last point. expectations of parents. if we keep our expectations limited or minimal, i think,all of us can have a happy retired life. it is when we expect more from our children, and when they are unable or unwilling to fulfill these, that cracks appear int he relationships.

sir B, i believe there is nothing worse, than spending the golden years under the same roof with folks, who consider you a burden or a duty or above all a source of tension.

thank you.

There are different stages (if I may put it that way) in retired life as well.
Assuming one is lucky enough to retire at 55, he/she may have 25+ years to spend.
During those 25 years, the energy levels and health condtion may differ at different stages.
You will be a source of joy at one stage & burden at another stage to those around you.
So best is to, stay healthy, plan for 5 years max at a time and hope for the best.

Some old age homes will accept new applicatons at the early stages only - gives ample time to form new friendships..
Other nursing homes accept applicatons when full health care is required.

We would lke to help our children (if they will accept and possible for us).
We do not intend to move in with them - they can stay with us for as long as they want.
If all the chldren leave the country, then we may consider moving back to India.
As for not interfering, that may not be possible (however hard we may try).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back