• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

On Vedantam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, who decides what is sincere effort? It looks like I am required to concede, a priori, the truth of handed down wisdom, which is asserted as the only litmus test indicative of the right effort and attitude, prerequisites for productive discussions and debate. Strange are the ways of faithful!!

I agree "strange are the faithful" :)
I did not talk about faith but I did talk about Shraddha. BG has this famous line:
śraddhāvān labhate jñānam / श्रद्धावान् लभते ज्ञानम् / shraddhAvAn labhate GYaanam

I have heard you are or were a teacher and I am sure you expect students who sign up to take your courses with sincerity that they will learn something at the end of the course. You know as a teacher that demonstrations of bad attitudes or agenda of gaming the course to get a good grade or inability to focus, listen and engage in class etc will not result in knowledge being transmitted. Why should the study of this topic be any different?

In my quest to learn I never had to "concede to any truth of handed down wisdom" but there was a need to approach the subject with respect, willing to learn new paradigms of knowledge and exhibit that sincerity and Shraddha in action.

In a open forum like this I approach everyone as if they are sincere without any agenda unless I have gotten better sense of their online personas. If I can learn something from someone I am all ears. If someone thinks I have something to offer I am happy to share and the lesson I have gotten from this forum experience is to now insist on some background if the discussions require Shraddha. I listed some questions in one of the posts (that I provided reference links to in post # 19) as a way to establish minimal common understanding of the basics. I restated the some the same in terms of some questions in post #23. If one is divergent at the basics of what and why, is there any point in discussing the details? I have no compulsion to demonstrate I know something or not and I don't have any pressure to defend the Vedic teachings. If a person thinks someone has something to offer then they have to do whatever it takes to get the other person to debate.

Our personas here may or may not match how we act in real life. But all we have to go by is our good or bad baggage based on what we posted, what ideas we supported, if that support seemed to be out of logic or due to some immature reasons etc.

Unlike other religious theologies Vedanta which describes universal truth ( a claim at this point for anyone that has not learnt) does not require anyone to accept anything a-priori. But if someone has wrong notions (like statements in #24 for example "All Vedantic traditions, and others also, take for granted there is a self, different from mere tissue") it is hard to get basic alignment. There is no 'taking for granted' approach in anything I have learnt. Plus gaining the infrastructure is a hard thing to do especially since there is no taking for granted in the approach. In fact Sri Saidevo provided a reference to a book which you called 'home work'. For seemingly most minute points the book was going to extensive discussions just to establish definitions in a precise manner so that there is no 'taking for granted' in the teaching.

Regards

Last edited:
namaste Nara.

Most of your assertions in post #22 can be countered using the same logic. My replies are in black to your statements in blue:

When it comes to science, the scientists do not invoke faith, if they do, they cannot be scientists.

• Using the term yogi for a Self-Realized man, yogis do not invoke faith, either. If they did only that, they could not have become yogis.

‣ Of course they started their intellectual inquiry with belief--vishvAsa, in the mahAvAkyas, of the absolute, immanent reality established by them, and pursued their efforts of experiential verification of it, in faith--shraddha, and finally realized it in experience.

• Comparatively, a scientist too starts with a belief on an existing premise, and goes about his empirical verification in faith.

‣ The difference is that the scientist's aim is to disprove an existing premise where it is limiting, while a yogi's aim is to prove it.

‣ Where they succeed, the scientist establishes his proof with a theory that gives a different what and how of the truth, while the yogi gives only a different how to accomplish the ultimate what.

‣ To elaborate the previous statement, all vedantic traditions agree on the svarUpa of the ultimate reality as sat-chit-Ananda, although they differ in the what of the individual realities and the how of accomplishing the ultimate reality.

• I don't consider myself a yogi (I am more of a common man), do you consider yourself a scientist? Even if you are a scientist, let us talk from the viewpoint of the common man who is not much familiar, either with science or vedanta.

• From the common person's viewpoint, the truths of both the physical and spiritual knowledge are taken on faith. While a few take efforts to verify them empirically/experientially, most people are content to enjoy the worldly lifestyle offered by physical knowledge and the lasting peace and happiness offered by the spiritual knowledge.

• Curiously, the common people, do not go about debating that science is right and religion/spirituality is wrong in their daily life. I have a feeling that some of us seek to do it here is more for ego gratification than for learning something new.

They have to carryout experimentation and show why something is true, or something is false, which other scientists must be able to replicate.

• This usual line of parroting can be countered by saying that the yogis carry out their experimentation in experience, and show why something is true, or something is false, which the other yogis can replicate in personal inquiry and experience.

They refrain from making any definitive statements about things that they are not able to prove or disprove.

• What about the currently extant premises such as the 'unified field theory', 'string theory' and the 'big bang theory' of science? Are they definitive statements that have been proved as ultimate, or only hazy speculations?

• Comparatively, yogis make definitive statements about the ultimate truth and absolute reality, because they have realized it in experience. And because the truth is ultimate and the reality absolute, the great statements of the Vedic RShis who originally realized it remain established as inerrant.

Faith is needed only on the part of common people and that too only due to their inability to understand and conduct the needed experimentation themselves. In other words, science itself is not based on faith in some supernaturally delivered knowledge.

• Every common person has a means to verify the metaphysical knowledge, but most don't do it for lack of inclination, interest and conviction, so they take it on faith. In the case of physical knowledge, the common person does not care to verify it, since he/she gets to enjoy its fruits, until it satiates in the end.

• All efforts of science are based on the faith of an ultimate physical truth as the absolute physical reality. As I have noted above, there are different theories about this APR--absolute physical reality, and faith in those premises drive the scientists' work.

• In other words, theoretical science itself is based on faith in finding a single answer to the APR of this universe. Since this belief is shared at least among the top scientists in the field, it can only be a group belief rather than individual, so it is not much different from belief in 'some supernaturally delivered knowledge'.

Also, the faith required from the common people is not a blind one, it is based on a long track record of enjoying the benefits of science. Today, even the great religious leaders rely on scientific advancements in their day-to-day lives. We see that all the religious heads have abandoned many traditional practices and taken to using a myriad of electrical and electronic devices, IC engines, modern science-based medicine, etc. All of this is everyday proof to everyone, even the most commonest of common persons, that science works. The faith they place on science is not a blind one.

Statements like these are what I meant by the term 'naive' in my post #21. They seem 'naive' because, firstly, there is no such thing as blind faith, since everyone has got reasons to believe in what they believe, and who or what perfect system is there to validate their reasons and beliefs?

• Most people who 'enjoy the benefits of science', also do enjoy the benefits of religion and spirituality--as much, if not much more--especially with regard to the quality of peace and happiness they give them, so it is naive to say that their faith in the teachings of religion and spirituality is blind.

• Hindu dharma--and vedanta--as TKS has pointed out--is not against science, as in the case of the Christian religion. So, why not also point out how much the papal and other Christian religious institutions depend on the benefits of science, abandoning their traditions?

• The point is that, to say that the religious heads--Hindu or Christian--have abandoned their traditions because they take to the 'benefits of science' is not only naive but has a personal bias.

• The traditional Hindu maThAdhipatis and religious leaders see and use the benefits of science, as a means to intensify and 'wide cast' the reach of scriptural teachings, their explanations and benefits, to reach the general public--not for betterment of their personal lifestyle.

• Any modern or scientific medicine they take or the modern transport they use, are only in the interests of the common people, since they do not care about their physical body or its comforts.

• If the faith of "even the most commonest of common persons, that science works" for, is not blind, it can be called an ignorant faith. After all this physical life is limited and the body is constantly decaying, so why go after enjoyments of worldly life instead of seeking lasting peace and happiness? I would say science is the biggest mAyA of the world that befools even the learned and thinking!

In contrast, in the arena of Vedanta, blind faith is the very foundation upon which the system is erected. Even the great Acharyas who founded/expounded these different Vedantic schools say that one has to rely strictly on Shruti and its inerrantness for ascertaining Brhman and its nature. If this is not blind faith, nothing is.

• This statement is biased because it implies that the Vedic RShis who gave the system of mahAvAkyas did it on blind faith because they obtained it supernaturally.

• This statement ignores the fact the Vedic RShis were seers who actually verified the Vedic truths in experience, lived them in their life, before they reduced them in speech for the ultimate benefit of mankind.

• The great AchAryas who founded/expounded the different Vedantic schools did not give their teachings on blind faith in shruti either, without verifying them in experience. Only that they have asked the common people to take them on faith in shurti as a goal for their sAdhana.

• The inerrantness of the mahAvAkyas lies, not in blind faith, but in the proven experiences of the Vedic RShis, which experiences have been verified by yogis all along in the passage of time.

Also, this blind faith is required not just on the part of the followers and disciples, but even from those who are supposed to be the founders and intellectual guardians of the different systems.

• To say that 'the founders and intellectual guardians' of the Hindu systems rely on blind faith and not on their personal verification in experience, of the Vedic truths is naive and biased. Only the common followers and disciples who would take time to realize the truths are required to take them on faith.

The whole point is, Nara, it is easy to cast aspersions on religious and spiritual people, but are you prepared to say that you have verified the Vedic truths in personal experience and found them to be false, so you blame their teachers? Until you do it, and if you are unwilling to do it, your statments against the Vedic truths and teachers can only remain as personally prejudiced and opinionated expressions.

As for me, I have not verified them beyond an intellectual conviction, so I have faith that they can be verified in experience too, in this or another birth.

I am not against science, although I am against a scientist finding fault with the methods of a spiritual teacher for the simple reason that he is not prepared to verify them in experience.

The mathematical A = B argument in support of Jivatma = Paramatma, is based on the supposition that there is something called Brhman. The very purpose of this thread is to show there is no evidence to accept this supposition as fact. So, trying to prove Jivatma = Pramtma by giving a mathematical analogy of A = B is akin to arguments about an IPU whose existence is no more than a baseless assertion.

• Self is the evidence of equation jIvAtman = paramAtman. Its proof lies in personal verification, to accomplish the transition from the individual self to the universal.

• Your self is the IPU (invisible pink unicorn) inside you, until you can prove--not just believe based on current scientific research--that you don't have a trans-physical self.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been trying to follow this thread. Some words like visvasa, shraddha, pramaaNaa, Shruthi, avidhya etc. are being used. I tried to simplify the terminologies for my underestanding and would like the knowledgebles ones to comment whether my understanding is okay.

1. I know that I do not know sanskrit, viz. I have avidya of sanskrit. It is self evident svata-pramaaNa and I do not need a pramaaNa (proof) for my lack of knowledge.

2. I set about to taking steps to learn sanskrit and I make internet searches (I think I am a jignyasu here). I try to make self-study by purchasing books but I find that I cannot learn all that much in depth without a teacher, so my efforts lead me to a teacher (Guru).

3. After identifying a Guru, I make discreet enquiries about Guru and different people give different opinions, some favourable some unfavourable.

4. I cannot make up my mind due to different sets of opinion, but I decide that I shall meet the Guru myself in person. I take this step, in faith (vishvasa) that a person teaching sanskrit will be having some knowledge of sanskrit, which he can pass on to me.

5. Due to my avidya of sanskrit, I cannot question or the estimate the knowledge of Guru in sanskrit and ask him in a nice and unoffending manner what testimonials can he adduce to support his knowledge of sanskrit

6. He produces the post-graduate degree certificate issued by a competent authority as pramaaNa (may be off the mark, but can be compared to "Shruthi") in our text.

7. After being satisfied with preliminary queries, I start with the assumption that the Guru can teach me sanskrit. My approach then is with "Shraddha" to accept teachings and cross-check the same with references in the book (various "Shruthis") and my expanding experience of sanskrit knowledge.

8. My shraddha is not blind faith as I see (Pratyaksha) that he does have knowledge of Sanskrit and my co-students also see and feel the same. So I have crossed the stage of visvasa as far as the Guru is concerned. I make an estimate (anumana) that in about 6 years time, my sanskrit knowledge will be equivalent to that of my Guru. My attitude towards full sanskrit knowledge is still at visvasa level as I have only beginner's knowledge and I have nothing but visvasa and the shraddha in my guru's teachings that in due course of time I will realise my full potential and start understanding and appreciating kalidasa's megha-dhootham or kumara-sambhavam.

Am I on the proper course for understanding vedanta..??

Regards,

narayan

....I know that I do not know sanskrit, viz. I have avidya of sanskrit. It is self evident svata-pramaaNa and I do not need a pramaaNa (proof) for my lack of knowledge.
Dear narayan sir, "I don't know Sanskrit" is self evident, indeed. But that is so because there is ample evidence that there is a language called Sanskrit, people speak it, texts have been written in Sanskrit, and when it is spoken to me or when I see any text written in Sanskrit I can't understand a thing. So, in this case, if I am interested, I can apply the steps you have suggested and may or may not achieve the desired results depending on my ability.

But, what is being asked of me with respect to Brhman is not similar to the analogy you presented. It is like somebody saying to me there is a language called Heyutrxd, and if, and only if you have faith, and apply yourself diligently, you can experience it.

Sir, please do not get upset with me, I am just presenting my POV.

Cheers!

namaste shrI Narayan.

It would be interesting to have you present a similar analogy for science, using the English language.

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

• I have a feeling that some of us seek to do it here is more for ego gratification than for learning something new.
  • This usual line of parroting can be countered
  • Statements like these are what I meant by the term 'naive' in my post #21.
  • so it is naive to say that their faith in the teachings of religion and spirituality is blind.
  • So, why not also point out how much the papal and other Christian religious institutions depend on the benefits of science, abandoning their traditions?
  • because they take to the 'benefits of science' is not only naive but has a personal bias.
  • This statement is biased because it implies that the Vedic RShis
  • not on their personal verification in experience, of the Vedic truths is naive and biased.
  • your statments against the Vedic truths and teachers can only remain as personally prejudiced and opinionated expressions.
Please look at the above statements. Characterizing my arguments or me the person in negative terms, like ego gratification, parroting, naive, prejudiced, etc., is completely uncalled for and superfluous. Statements like these tend to muddy the water and do not make your arguments any more persuasive. If I start saying similar things about you and your arguments we will end up with a slugfest, which I am sure neither of us want.

So, I request you to spend your efforts to show why what I am saying is wrong and refrain from saying things like "biased" "prejudiced", etc.

Substantive response to follow ....

Cheers!

Hello,

I have been trying to follow this thread. Some words like visvasa, shraddha, pramaaNaa, Shruthi, avidhya etc. are being used. I tried to simplify the terminologies for my underestanding and would like the knowledgebles ones to comment whether my understanding is okay.

1. I know that I do not know sanskrit, viz. I have avidya of sanskrit. It is self evident svata-pramaaNa and I do not need a pramaaNa (proof) for my lack of knowledge.

2. I set about to taking steps to learn sanskrit and I make internet searches (I think I am a jignyasu here). I try to make self-study by purchasing books but I find that I cannot learn all that much in depth without a teacher, so my efforts lead me to a teacher (Guru).

3. After identifying a Guru, I make discreet enquiries about Guru and different people give different opinions, some favourable some unfavourable.

4. I cannot make up my mind due to different sets of opinion, but I decide that I shall meet the Guru myself in person. I take this step, in faith (vishvasa) that a person teaching sanskrit will be having some knowledge of sanskrit, which he can pass on to me.

5. Due to my avidya of sanskrit, I cannot question or the estimate the knowledge of Guru in sanskrit and ask him in a nice and unoffending manner what testimonials can he adduce to support his knowledge of sanskrit

6. He produces the post-graduate degree certificate issued by a competent authority as pramaaNa (may be off the mark, but can be compared to "Shruthi") in our text.

7. After being satisfied with preliminary queries, I start with the assumption that the Guru can teach me sanskrit. My approach then is with "Shraddha" to accept teachings and cross-check the same with references in the book (various "Shruthis") and my expanding experience of sanskrit knowledge.

8. My shraddha is not blind faith as I see (Pratyaksha) that he does have knowledge of Sanskrit and my co-students also see and feel the same. So I have crossed the stage of visvasa as far as the Guru is concerned. I make an estimate (anumana) that in about 6 years time, my sanskrit knowledge will be equivalent to that of my Guru. My attitude towards full sanskrit knowledge is still at visvasa level as I have only beginner's knowledge and I have nothing but visvasa and the shraddha in my guru's teachings that in due course of time I will realise my full potential and start understanding and appreciating kalidasa's megha-dhootham or kumara-sambhavam.

Am I on the proper course for understanding vedanta..??

Regards,

narayan

Sri Narayan -

Not claiming to be an expert but here are my comments.

1. Normally ignorance of piece of knowledge does not require a 'means of knowledge' (Pramana)

2. Regarding the example of not knowing Sanskrit: First it was Pratyaksham (someone told you about existence of the language or you saw a writing etc) to know such a language existed. 'Anupalabdhi' is a term to refer to a 'means of knowledge' (Pramana) for the perception of the non-existence of a thing. Non-existence of an item (e.g. there is no apple in your hand) cannot be perceived by the senses. Some people prefer to explain this non-perception same as 'Anumana' - one step reasoning. Through more examples it is possible to establish that capacity to recognize non-existence of a thing is a Pramana that our mind is able to process. So you are able to recognize absence of knowledge of Sanskrit by the Pramana of Anupalabdhi.

3. "jignyasu" though loosely translated as 'one who likes to study' has a very specific meaning when it comes to attaining the Knowledge of Iswara. All religious traditions even if they are not organized tend to focus on the pursuit of Artha and Kama. Why would one want to pursue Dharma for the sake of it and more importantly Moksha that is seemingly remote? It is in this context that the term is used. With loose translation your analogy seems fine to me.

4. Concept of Guru is important for things that simply cannot be learnt from books. You could learn Physics or Sanskrit from books. Knowledge of Iswara and Brahman cannot be comprehended with books alone. Much of the Upanishadic verses are poetic where each verse sometimes has the whole Vedanta message. Without context one cannot appreciate any verse and one cannot get the full context until one has mastered all such verses. Guru helps you overcome this catch-22 situation.

5. If you do find a Guru or a book to learn you start with a 'verifiable belief' (Viswasa) that you are likely to learn something. Knowing the great things you have heard about this teacher you follow his rules, do the homework with Shraddha even though he or she may be forcing you to do mundane things in the beginning. Shraddha is not blind faith and often ratified by understanding and reasoning at a later time. When you tell a child not to run across the road the child has to accept it as faith (Shraddha) knowing that the parent knows best. There is no need to discuss the physics and how two bodies cannot occupy same place at the same time and if attempted that serious damage will result. It is however learnt later by the child when it grows up.

Hope this helps.

Regards

D
But, what is being asked of me with respect to Brhman is not similar to the analogy you presented. It is like somebody saying to me there is a language called Heyutrxd, and if, and only if you have faith, and apply yourself diligently, you can experience it.

Sri Nara -

My understanding: Anyone that talks of 'Brahman has to be experienced' does not know what they are talking about since they are objectifying what is a Subject (and Object). This can be arrived at logically. Again Shraddha is not same as (blind) faith.

You have to think that there are great many intelligent and emotionally mature people that have debated subject matter of Vedanta over hundreds of years. So if it is clear why you want to study this subject then you approach it with required Shraddha. You don't come out with experience but with knowledge that puts all other life experience in context.

Kenapanishad has some beautiful verses:

In Chapter -2 (very loosely translated)
" The disciple said: I think I know Brahman. The disciple said: I do not think I know It well, nor do I think I do not know It. He among us who knows the meaning of "Neither do I not know, nor do I know"—knows Brahman.

3 He by whom Brahman is not known, knows It; he by whom It is known, knows It not. It is not known by those who know It; It is known by those who do not know It. "

The above again like Shanti mantra will need several weeks to explain what is being communicated. It is not an experience but knowledge.

Regards

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

Please look at the above statements. Characterizing my arguments or me the person in negative terms, like ego gratification, parroting, naive, prejudiced, etc., is completely uncalled for and superfluous. Statements like these tend to muddy the water and do not make your arguments any more persuasive. If I start saying similar things about you and your arguments we will end up with a slugfest, which I am sure neither of us want.

So, I request you to spend your efforts to show why what I am saying is wrong and refrain from saying things like "biased" "prejudiced", etc.

Substantive response to follow ....

Cheers!

Sri Nara -

I have to kind of smile reading your post here :)

How does this relate to calling all those people that follow a religion as victims etc? I am sure there have been many indirect and direct characterization that is name calling on your part.

Also here is a "Jalra' support from you in this post

When we try to understand something new our background, biases and prejudices do play a role and could mask our understanding. However repeated attention to such aspects may detract one from the discussion of the main message.

Regards

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

I started out trying to respond to all your points one by one, but it became somewhat repetitious. Also, the post was getting too long. So I am only going to summarize my response. If you want me to address any particular point, please let me know and I will try my best.

The thrust of your overall argument seems to be that science is also based on faith and Yogis are like Scientists and can verify and validate Vedic wisdom.

Saying that science is also based on faith like Vedantam, is demonstrably false. However, taking it at face value, for the sake of argument, what if science is also a belief system? Would that make religion in general and Vedantam in particular, any more than one based on blind faith? Even if science is nothing but a bunch of superstitious nonsense, it in no way alters the validity of the proposition that blind faith is the foundation upon which Vedantam is erected.

You say Yogis begin with belief in Mahavakyas and then proceed to validate the purport of them through experience.

For starters, not all Vedatins agree that some Vedic statements have special importance as to be called Mahavakyas. Then there is the intense disagreement among the Vedanta traditions as to what the purport of these statements is. Under this reality, an aspiring Yogi will have a hard time deciding which unsubstantiated position he should put his faith in and then try to validate it through experience.

Next, the only way for an aspiring Yogi to have even a barely anemic justification to have faith in these "Mahavakyas" is for someone who has already successfully verified their validity to give him an assurance. This assurance will have to be taken by faith only. If not by faith, this is a hopeless task, as the verification is an experience that cannot be demonstrated. So, to have faith in Mahavakyas, the aspiring Yogi must also put faith in the person who claims to have experienced it.

These are serious considerations. This is why even the great Bashyakara Acharyas do not make the claim they have experienced Brhman and demand that it must be accepted. They clearly state that Shruti is the ONLY authority with which Brhman and its nature can be ascertained. For this to be valid, Shruti needs to be inerrant. For Shruti to be inerrant, it must have some sort of supernatural origin. In the case of Vedas, it is supposed to be apaurusheya -- if this is not blind faith (or blind belief) nothing can be.

In conclusion, the entire edifice of Vedantam rests on the the notion that Shruti is inerrant. This is nothing but blind faith.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also here is a "Jalra' support from you in this post
tks, this kind of condescending language has no place in civil and decent discussion. Please take a look at the "Likes" you give before making statements like this. If you can make a contribution free of such distractions I would welcome it.

Folks, here is an example of how humble the scientists are, ever ready to face the prospect they might be completely wrong, as opposed to the faithful who are absolutely certain that their own religious texts -- chosen by nothing more than the accident of birth -- are self-evidently inerrant.

World Science Festival Video : Hidden Dimensions: Exploring Hyperspace

This is a 90 minute video that could seem no more than a minute or an eternity depending on your interest.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

This is with reference to your post #31.

• It was never my intention to offend you personally (specially when we are friends), and I thought you would know it. Don't we have the freedom to criticize arguments in a discussion? Why should criticism of arguments be taken as references to the person?

• To explain it further, by the term 'naive' I only meant 'simple--not foolish, childlike--not childish'; and in my reference to 'ego gratification' I included myself as well.

You said in post #22:
Today, even the great religious leaders rely on scientific advancements in their day-to-day lives. We see that all the religious heads have abandoned many traditional practices and taken to using a myriad of electrical and electronic devices, IC engines, modern science-based medicine, etc.

• At the least, this is like saying that even the great pioneers in science rely on religion in their day-to-day lives. We see that many heads of scientific institutiions abandon the concepts of science in practice, and take to using religious faith in their activities, such as the thanksgiving prayers before a dining session, going to the church, believing in and attending funeral services, and so on.

• In another sense, the word 'abandoned many traditional practices' in your statement gives the impression that the Hindu religious heads (of traditional institutions) are dishonest in what they teach since they themselves use the modern conveniences in their life.

‣ You want the religious heads to use only oil lamps in their abodes, not travel by a motorised vehicle, and not use the electrical and electronic devices such as the telephone, mobile phones, TVs, computers and the internet? Why should using them be construed as 'abandoning many traditional practices'?

It would be naive of me to believe that you do not know that such modern conveniences are used by the AchAryas only as means to spread the reach of their teachings and not as means for their own sAdhana or personal life. And yet, when you choose to write in the manner you did, I can only call it biased and prejudiced.

• Everyone in this forum knows that you and some other members are not prepared to accept the belief of inerrancy and relevation of the Vedas. The reasons you attribute to it are based on the belief of science that there is nothing beyond the physical.

‣ It is alright for a chArvaka/atheist/agnostic to criticise the statements in the Vedas and question their inerrancy and validity.

‣ What is wrong is to cast aspersions--express or implied--on the Vedic RShis and the AchAryas who follow them and say that all of them are people with blind faith, they don't know what they teach since it cannot be known by their own assertions, so by teaching it they are dishonest, to them and their followers.

‣ What is wrong again is to sneer at and tease such religious and spiritual belief as blind faith, its followers are victims of religion (as TKS pointed out), and demand physical proof for metaphysical levels of reality and truth when the person who demands it does not believe in them.

I hope you would give due consideration the above points in your discussions, which you base on your belief that there is nothing beyond physical.

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

Saying that science is also based on faith like Vedantam, is demonstrably false. However, taking it at face value, for the sake of argument, what if science is also a belief system? Would that make religion in general and Vedantam in particular, any more than one based on blind faith? Even if science is nothing but a bunch of superstitious nonsense, it in no way alters the validity of the proposition that blind faith is the foundation upon which Vedantam is erected.

Sri Nara Sir,

I am not much conversant with debating conventions, so please feel to correct me as and when you find me erring.

Having cited science as the source for establishing consciousness is nothing but a function of brain activity and "all evidences are consistent with the hypothesis that consciousness is nothing but brain activity -- in other words nothing that transcends the physical universe" (your message no. 24) I think "even for argument sake" you can not consider science as a "belief system".

What would be the point of pitting one belief system against another to arrive at the truth?

Regards,

narayan

namaste Nara.

You said in post #24:
All Vedantic traditions, and others also, take for granted there is a self, different from mere tissue. This is long held as self evident, something like Rene Descartes "I think, therefore I am". All Vedantic traditions subscribe to this theory, long before Descartes was even born, that there is a substance that is consciousness, and it is called Chit. Different schools have different view of what this Chit really is.

• BhagavAn DAs, in his book The Science of Peace says:
न हि जातु कश्चिदत्र संदिग्धे 'अहम् वा नाहम् वा' इति ।

na hi jAtu kashchidatra saMdigdhe 'aham vA nAham vA' iti |

says VAchaspati's bhAmatI (p.2) about the nature and existence of the Self.

"This (self) is known through indubitable, non-erroneous and immediate experience of the nature of "I," as distinct from the body, the organs, the mind, the intellect, their objects, (in short) from whatever may be designated by the term "this"; (this experience exists) in all living beings from the worm and the moth to gods and sages; hence the self cannot be the object of a desire to know. No one indeed doubts "Is this I or not-1?" or makes the mistake "this is not I at all". (Translation from The bhAmati chatussUtri by S.S.Suryanarya Sastry and C.Kunhan Raja. This book can be downloaded at: The Bhamati Catussutri : Suryanarayana Sastri S.S. : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive [25 MB]--sd)

Descartes' famous maxim, Cogito, ergo sum, 'I think, therefore I am,' reverses cause and effect. It would be truer to say, Sum, ergo cogito. The Bible logion, "I am that I am...I am hath sent me to you" (Exodus), should be noted.

• About the nature of this self, he says:
"That which varies not, nor changes, in the midst of things that change and vary, is different from them";

तस्माद्वेषु व्यावर्त-मानेषु यद अनुवर्तते तत् तेभ्यो भिन्नम् यथा कुसुमेभ्यः ।

tasmAdveShu vyAvarta-mAneShu yada anuvartate tat tebhyo bhinnam yathA kusumebhyaH |

"Hence, that which is constant in whatever is variable, that is different from the latter, as a string from the flowers (strung thereon)."

--VAchaspati's bhAmatI (p.3)

• How does science explain this indubitable, non-erroneous and immediate experience of the nature of 'I', as distinct from the body, the organs, the mind, the intellect, their objects, in terms of the brain or otherwise?

‣ As explained in the above quote, this existential experience of 'I', is common to "all living beings from the worm and the moth to gods and sages". This experience is fundamental to every other experience and knowledge, so science must have at least some initial hypothesis about it.

‣ If this "consciousness is nothing but brain activity" as you concluded in your post #24, it would lead to the circular logic: "My brain thinks that 'I' am its product, but I think it is only my brain." In other words, the brain thinks that consciousness is the product of its activity, but the very brain itself is seen and explored and felt and experienced only in the individual consciousness of the 'I'.

This is like Harry Potter saying, "Hey, JK Rowling thinks she created me, but judging by the popularity 'I' have attained, it would be more appropriate to say that it was 'I' who created my author."

When you say that Vedas are asserted to be apauruSheya to avoid the circular logic, how does science avoid it here?

In this connection you said in post #24:
To understand something using the very thing that we are trying to understand may be impossible.

In terms of science, this could translate to:
"To understand the self (the I-experience), as the activity of the brain using the very brain that other brains are trying to understand, may be impossible."

That the whole edifice of science is raised on this conundrum seems to be a shaky foundation to me!

Alas, this very limitation is exploited by the religious to offer definitive answers with absolutely no evidence.

This is a funny statement. Religions and spirituality came long before science did (especially with Hinduism), and this 'exploitation' of the 'very limitation' of science has been going on from time immemorial!

You said in post #24:
We are still left with the question, what is consciousness?

This is a difficult question to answer. We can say what it is not, but what it is, we can only speculate. We know it is not any of the body parts below our neck, not even the heart...So, we can safely speculate it must reside in the brain.

• To say 'what it is not'--neti neti is the very approach that Vedanta takes to the knowledge about the Self and Brahman. If it is applicable and appropriate to science, why not for Vedanta?

From scientific experimentation we now know that what we refer to as "consciousness" does not exists in the back of the brain called Cerebellum. We know this because a person maintains consciousness of who she is even after the Cerebellum is surgically removed -- google for references.

• ParamahaMsa YogAnanda, talking about his kriyA yoga says:
Paramhansa Yogananda on Kriya Yoga —

"The consciousness enters the body by way of the brain and the spine. When the sperm and ovum unite to create the physical body, they do so at what becomes the medulla oblongata, at the base of the brain.

"From this medulla, the life force moves out into the brain, down the spine and into the nervous system, then on to the muscles, etc., creating the body.
"The ego is centered in the medulla oblongata. This is the negative pole of self-consciousness. The positive pole is situated at the Christ center. Concentration at this center—in the spiritual eye, the seat of spiritual vision—projects the consciousness beyond the ego into Infinity.

we have the case of Terri Schiavo, ,,, There was virtually no brain activity even though she was kept alive by medical devices.

This implies that people in coma don't have thoughts or dreams, but here is a case as to its other side:

Do you have dreams in a coma?

Yes they do dream. I speak from personal experience. My name is joseph Boysis and I was in a coma for 6 wks.

I remember several dreams and they were vivid. Look around the room your in. That's how real it seemed. I am not overly spiritual, but my "guts" tell me that the dreams (one in particular) were actually spiritual experiences.

I am Native Canadian and was raised by Non-native people, so I lost my culture at an early age and was raised as a Catholic. My dreams, the most vivid one's all involved my biological family and one experience I interpret as a life review. Very real.'
I remember everything about the dreams.

If you know anyone in a coma or is unresponsive physically, talk to them. They can hear you. They may not understand what you are saying, but they will recognize your voice tone. I did.
Answers.com - Do you have dreams in a coma

Here is another account:
Do people in a coma dream? | Answerbag

• Here is a more elaborate discussion on the subject:
'Modern Science and the Higher Self' by Annie Besant
Theosophy : Modern Science and the Higher Self  by Annie Besant : AnandGholap.net

Thus, your conclusion in post #24:
So, while nothing definitive may be said, all evidences are consistent with the hypothesis that consciousness is nothing but brain activity -- in other words nothing that transcends the physical universe.

That "consciousness is nothing but brain activity" and there is "nothing that transcends the physical universe" are nothing more than presumptions that are yet to proved conclusively by emprical science.

Last edited:
• It was never my intention to offend you personally (specially when we are friends), and I thought you would know it. Don't we have the freedom to criticize arguments in a discussion? Why should criticism of arguments be taken as references to the person?
Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

I am aware you did not mean any offense. However, I think using the kind of language you used muddies the water, unnecessary for advancing your argument and could very well cause misunderstanding. I like to strictly talk about why a point is right or wrong, not that the point is naive or prejudiced. If you wish to use such language, please go ahead, I will try to filter them out and respond only to the points.

• In another sense, the word 'abandoned many traditional practices' in your statement gives the impression that the Hindu religious heads (of traditional institutions) are dishonest in what they teach since they themselves use the modern conveniences in their life.
Saidevo, what I said stands for itself, it is wrong to impute "impressions". All I am saying is that the benefits of science are in front of us, free of need for any kind of faith, so much so, that even religious heads of traditional institutions, who are guardians of traditional practices, readily embraced them. On the other hand, the benefits of religion are founded on faith, even for great Acharyas of yore. This is my point, I request you to not form any other impressions.

‣ What is wrong is to cast aspersions--express or implied--on the Vedic RShis and the AchAryas who follow them and say that all of them are people with blind faith, they don't know what they teach since it cannot be known by their own assertions, so by teaching it they are dishonest, to them and their followers.
You are mischaracterizing what I am saying. All I am saying is Brhman and its nature, something that is central to all schools of Vedantam, can be determined only through Shruti and the faith/belief that Shruti is inerrant. This is what Acharyas say as well. IMO, a faith/belief based on no evidence at all is blind faith. This is not casting aspersions on anybody. Please!!!

What is wrong again is to sneer at and tease such religious and spiritual belief as blind faith, its followers are victims of religion (as TKS pointed out), and demand physical proof for metaphysical levels of reality and truth when the person who demands it does not believe in them.
There are lots of discussions in this web site about Hinduism, Acharyas of Hinduism, glories of Vedas and like. You write a lot along those lines in a few threads yourself. I don't interfere in any of them. In the General Discussion forum, there was a thread on Advaitam and people were saying all kinds of stuff. This is the reason I started this thread in this forum so that we can have a sober discussion. Please see my OP, I have explained my purpose. There is no sneering or teasing on my part. I am pointing out that even great Acharyas did not claim having experienced Brhman and want to rely only on Shruti's inerrant nature. Just pointing this out is not sneering or teasing.

The context in which I said followers of religion are victims of superstitious belief is not to sneer or tease. You may have a more enlightened view of religion and belief. But, a vast majority of people with deep religious faith do a lot of misguided stuff and bring trouble to lot of people including themselves. These are good people, I think, but do bad things because of their religious faith. These people are, IMO, victims.

Now, I like you to address my points from post #35.

Cheers!

Dear narayan sir, Greetings!

.. (your message no. 24) I think "even for argument sake" you can not consider science as a "belief system".
I don't understand your point. Saidevo is the one saying science is also a belief system. So, I am saying, alright even if that was so, what difference does it make whether Vedantam is based on faith without evidence.

My point is the two propositions, P1: Vedantam is based on faith and P2: Science is based on faith, are independent propositions. The truth or falsity of one does not alter the truth or falsity of the other.

What would be the point of pitting one belief system against another to arrive at the truth?
Once again, I don't understand the purport. As far as I am concerned, I am not pitting one belief system against another. Our topic here is Vedantam, P1. If you, or anyone else wish to discuss P2, you won't find me shy.

Cheers!

As the discussion is meandering into consciousness and unconsciosness, enroute vedantam, I think you might find this very short video interesting: BBC News - Images capture moment brain goes unconscious
Thank you Shri narayan, a very interesting observation. Neuroscientists have long known that there is significant brain activity even during deep sleep stage. Even brains of patients suffering coma show activity. There are lot of exciting research occurring that is expanding our knowledge of what this thing we call "consciousness" is and how it works. We may never fully dismantle this black box, but, if that is possible, it will be done by careful observation and analysis by scientists.

If you are interested you may want to watch couple of videos given below. These are long videos.

World Science Festival Video : How to Define Consciousness?

Dan Dennett on our consciousness | Video on TED.com

Cheers!

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

Reading your posts I get a feeling that you have a strong conviction that (i) what you think of as Hinduism is very scientific, and (ii) it is even better than science as it can answer questions that science cannot. My conviction is, science and religion are completely unrelated, in as much as science cannot be a religion, religion cannot be science. Let me further explain why I have this conviction.

Science is about the material universe that is observable. It is about observation, analysis, synthesis, forming hypothesis and testing them, and finally deriving conclusions. Knowledge is gained whether the hypothesis turns out to be true or false. Science is self-correcting as claims are subjected to rigorous verification by competitive peers.

Religion is about the "other" world, one for which there is no evidence but revealed texts. It is about putting faith in handed down wisdom, one's own religious texts and narrations of experiences of coreligionists. Faith laced effort is more important than evidence. If you cannot see or experience the true "reality" then it is because of inadequate faith or effort or both. (Note, these are based on the comments made in this and other threads -- no sneering or teasing on my part.)

This is why my conviction is as stated above.

• How does science explain ... experience of the nature of 'I', as distinct from the body, the organs, the mind, the intellect, their objects, in terms of the brain or otherwise?

... so science must have at least some initial hypothesis about it.
As I stated in post #24, this is a difficult question to definitively answer. From what I understand, Cartesian dualism -- i.e. body and consciousness are two separate entities -- is not accepted by most in the field. This may be taken as the initial hypothesis.

... the brain thinks that consciousness is the product of its activity, but the very brain itself is seen and explored and felt and experienced only in the individual consciousness of the 'I'.
Once again, these are difficult questions. Unlike, religion, science cannot just make up answers. Until verifiable answers emerge, all we have are only theories.

When you say that Vedas are asserted to be apauruSheya to avoid the circular logic, how does science avoid it here?
Vedantam starts with the conclusion that there is a Brhman as described in Shruti, and then to avoid circular logic claims Shruti is apaurusheya. Science follows evidence and arrives at a conclusion, whatever it may. When a definitive conclusion cannot be reached, it readily admits to it. Until answers are found, science has no hesitation to say, "I don't know". In other words, it does not try to "avoid" problems, it tries to find answers to them if it can.

In this connection you said in post #24:
To understand something using the very thing that we are trying to understand may be impossible.
[...]
That the whole edifice of science is raised on this conundrum seems to be a shaky foundation to me!
To readily admit that some questions may always remain outside human comprehension is not "shaky foundation".

Alas, this very limitation is exploited by the religious to offer definitive answers with absolutely no evidence.

This is a funny statement. Religions and spirituality came long before science did (especially with Hinduism), and this 'exploitation' of the 'very limitation' of science has been going on from time immemorial!
Between what I said and the bolded part of your statement, which one is funny, I will let the readers decide for themselves.

• To say 'what it is not'--neti neti is the very approach that Vedanta takes to the knowledge about the Self and Brahman. If it is applicable and appropriate to science, why not for Vedanta?
To question what "it" is not, is not exclusive to science. Science uses this for observable phenomenon not yet fully understood. Vedanta uses it in pursuit of a presumed entity, an Invisible Pink Unicorn. Ascertaining the unicorn is pink in color when it is invisible is impossible with any amount of visvasa and shradda, it can only be claimed.

Thus, your conclusion in post #24:
So, while nothing definitive may be said, all evidences are consistent with the hypothesis that consciousness is nothing but brain activity -- in other words nothing that transcends the physical universe.

That "consciousness is nothing but brain activity" and there is "nothing that transcends the physical universe" are nothing more than presumptions that are yet to proved conclusively by emprical science.
I said this is my speculation, and that of many scientists. You are saying it is nothing more than presumption. Alright.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

You said in post #35:
Saying that science is also based on faith like Vedantam, is demonstrably false.

and then in post #43:
My point is the two propositions, P1: Vedantam is based on faith and P2: Science is based on faith, are independent propositions. The truth or falsity of one does not alter the truth or falsity of the other.

As far as I am concerned, I am not pitting one belief system against another. Our topic here is Vedantam, P1. If you, or anyone else wish to discuss P2, you won't find me shy.

• I am not pitting science against Vedanta either, beyond trying to show the similarities and differences. You said in your intital posts that Vedantam is entirely based on faith, unlike science. I tried to show how science is also based on faith in some way or other.

‣ It is undeniable that it is the faith in the ultimate unity as the substratum that drives both science and Vedanta. Science doesn't admit a metaphysical unity and Vedanta doesn't admit the physical unity for the substratum.

‣ The main quest of both science and Vedanta is the answer to the question "who are we and how do we fit in the substratum of the ultimate unity?" Vedanta proceeds by exploring the 'I' with the question 'who am I?', whereas science either defers investigation or completely ignores this question because the answer may not found in the physical realm.

Even if science is nothing but a bunch of superstitious nonsense, it in no way alters the validity of the proposition that blind faith is the foundation upon which Vedantam is erected.

• If the faith in the 'I' can be called 'blind faith', then it could be alright to say that Vedanta is based on blind faith as its foundation. Science does not deny that this 'I' is consciousness, while Vedanta postulates Brahman as the ultimate, unified consciousness of all individual I's, as the substratum of this universe of sentient and insentient beings.

For starters, not all Vedatins agree that some Vedic statements have special importance as to be called Mahavakyas. Then there is the intense disagreement among the Vedanta traditions as to what the purport of these statements is. Under this reality, an aspiring Yogi will have a hard time deciding which unsubstantiated position he should put his faith in and then try to validate it through experience.

• When a novice like me (who has only bits and pieces of knowledge from here and there) can try to understand and arrange the mahAvAkyas from the viewpoint of non-duality towards duality in this post:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/literature/3803-atman-its-adjectives-3.html

why can't a yogi easily know their relationship and proceed from where his inclination fits in the arrangement?

Next, the only way for an aspiring Yogi to have even a barely anemic justification to have faith in these "Mahavakyas" is for someone who has already successfully verified their validity to give him an assurance. This assurance will have to be taken by faith only. If not by faith, this is a hopeless task, as the verification is an experience that cannot be demonstrated. So, to have faith in Mahavakyas, the aspiring Yogi must also put faith in the person who claims to have experienced it.

• When a scientist who tries to verify an existing premise that is based on empirical proof, he can afford to have faith or doubt about it and try to add value or disprove the existing premise. In this case, the scientists who make the discovery and who verify it are at the same level of knowledge about the what and how of their search.

• When the findings of the research that gave rise to the existing premise are taught to students of science (with a lesser knowledge of the what and how), don't they take it on faith (as TKS pointed out in post #26)? In what way this faith is different from that of the starter-yogi who is also a student of Vedanta?

• If the student of science can always acquire the knowledge of the how to verify the premise empirically, so does the student of Vedanta to verify the premise intellectually and experientially.

Here is a quote that puts science in the proper perspective IMO:

"It seems plain and self-evident, yet it needs to be said: the isolated knowledge obtained by a group of specialists in a narrow field has in itself no value whatsoever, but only in its synthesis with all the rest of knowledge and only inasmuch as it really contributes in this synthesis toward answering the demand, 'Who are we?'"
--Erwin Schrödinger, Science and Humanism, 1952
Erwin Schrödinger - Wikiquote

They clearly state that Shruti is the ONLY authority with which Brhman and its nature can be ascertained. For this to be valid, Shruti needs to be inerrant. For Shruti to be inerrant, it must have some sort of supernatural origin. In the case of Vedas, it is supposed to be apaurusheya -- if this is not blind faith (or blind belief) nothing can be.

• You expressed this same idea in different words in your post #22. I have tried to show in post #27, the facts that your statements ignore.

• As I stated above, the main investigation of both science and Vedanta is the nature of consciousness. If the apauruSheya view of the Vedas is to avoid circular logic, I have shown how the brain-related view of consciousness suffers from circular logic, in my post #41.

In conclusion, the entire edifice of Vedantam rests on the the notion that Shruti is inerrant. This is nothing but blind faith.

• I have shown how the edifice of science expressed raised on a positional foundation as expressed in a statement like:

"To understand the self (the I-experience), as the activity of the brain using the very brain that other brains are trying to understand, may be impossible."

is also based on shaky foundation, although you may not agree with me. I shall reply to your post #46 in a separate post.

False Choice ..

This idea of Science vs Vedanta is a false choice.

If the argument was Science and Scientific Method vs Faith based religions I will accept many of the arguments of Sri Nara. All religions, mainly the biblical ones based on provably wrong theologies as well as many Hindu practices under the name of religion that have no bearing on Vedic foundation are all based on Faith (I read that as blind faith for emphasis)

When I read the word Faith in a post by Sri Saidevo, I immediately think the word is Shraddha which does not have an equivalent word in English. It is 'verifiable belief' to be understood (with 'Proof' and Pramana) at an appropriate time. As I have said many times that has not been acknowledged by Sri Nara that (blind) faith means suspension of reasoning faculty and has no place in any discussion associated with Vedanta. The topic of Vedanta addresses areas that Science can never address, not possible (provable and understandable - I am not presenting this since I would want common baseline worked out before going here). However areas of 'Particular' knowledge addressed under the category of Science and 'Universal Knowledge' address by Vedanta both identify Pramanas that apply for reasoning and use 'Scientific Method'

The fact that Sri Nara or anyone that may have a difficult time understanding (not blindly accepting) that Veda is a Pramana has in my view to do with not having the basics worked out. By saying this I mean no disrespect! Someone who is a serious physicist simply cannot have a serious conversation beyond some point about very strange implications of quantum mechanics or the nature of time or mass or space if I happen to have some intro by reading some high level books written for laymen. Just because someone is ready to have a discussion does not mean they have the pre-requisites worked out.

In the case of study of Vedanta, the pre-requisite is not simply to 'blindly accept' Brahman or any such concept. Instead it is to answer questions like:
  • Why do I want to study this branch. Have very clear answer and see if the objective is reasonable. Any genuine practitioner can tell if the objective is reasonable. I have a very good reason to ask this because this is key to some of the misunderstanding I sense in the debates so far. By the way this is not an unreasonable question for anyone wanting to take up an advanced study or debate in any subject
  • What is the subject matter about? It is different from 'why' which sets up the problem statement but without knowing what is the subject matter one may not know if it addresses the problem statement and context. I have seen many mis-communications in this thread arising out of not answering this basic question.
  • How do I want to study and debate this? I see a welcome approach deviod of flippant remarks in the 'General Section'. Unfortunately there is a need for absolute Shraddha - based on the fact that many seriously logical people (I am not including anyone in this thread but other great scholars) say that this study is supposed to be locgical. That is enough reason to have the Shraddha if the 'why' and 'what' are clear. However if Shraddha cannot come right now what are the basic rules of engagement in debating here?
  • Answer basic questions to establish basic levels of points of agreement. One question that is relevant - ' Why is this topic so focused on the word Pramana', in what way Pramana is different from (blind) faith?

Sri Nara - Will you answer these questions for me please so I know where you are coming from?

Regards

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

We have reached a stage where we are having to repeat what we have already said. I suppose each of us is aware we are not going to move the other. It is up to the readers, if there are any outside the small circle participating here, to ponder over the points made, if they care, and make up their own mind.

Just one final thought...

is also based on shaky foundation, although you may not agree with me.
Nothing has been built on this foundation -- i.e. no definitive claim has been made -- so it being shaky does not matter.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

I agree that we tend to repeat what is said already, so here is a summary.

All that we all have discussed up to this point in this thread, IMO, boils down to this single question, as the common goal of both science and Vedanta:
What is the origin, nature and purpose of consciousness?

Science and Vedanta take different approaches to address this question.

• Science as yet admits to only individual consciousness, with a fair amount of empirical knowledge about its origin in the brain, although the nature of that individual consciousness or its purpose is not known now.

• Based on shruti, Vedanta postulates Brahman as the absolute, universal consciousness which is the origin of all individual consciousness.

‣ The nature of this consciousness is sat-chit-Ananda for Brahman, which nature is also immanent in the individual consciousness of a jIvAtman.

‣ The purpose of Brahman in projecting the multitude of individual consciousness out of itself is lIlA--play/sport; the purpose of the individual consciousness is to know, find and move towards its source, for enduring peace and happiness.

• Both science and Vedanta admit to the self, 'I' as the extential experience of the individual consciousness. In addition, they admit 'my/mine' as the possessive attributes of the 'I'.

• The difference between 'I' and 'my/mine' is very crucial, which needs to be addressed at the outset, for any meaningful and holistic knowledge about the universe, its life-forms and what drives them.

• In trying to confine the source, nature and purpose of this 'I' to the brain and the body, science ends up with circular reasoning as I pointed out in my earlier posts, for the simple logic that 'I' cannot be what is 'mine', and conversely, what is 'mine' cannot generate the 'I'. In other words, 'I' as the knower must stand apart from the known.

Even if science succeeds in islolating the specific part of the brain responsible for the physical source of consciousness, that source would still come under the possessive attribute of 'mine', so 'I' will have to be above it and different from it.

‣ To say "all that is to the 'I-consciousness' is the brain", would also be incorrect, because, in that case I cannot call it 'my brain'--that is, the same, individual brain cannot think of itself both as the knower and the known.

If the same, individual brain can think of itself as the knower, known and the knowledge obtained thereby, it becomes Brahman!

• Just as the brain is the self-evident proof and the means of inquiry into the nature of brain in general, in science,

‣ The ubiquitous 'I' consciousness is a sva-pramANa--self-evident proof for the mahAvAkyas such as ayam Atma brahma--This Self is Brahman, tat tvam asi--Thou art that and aham brahmAsmi--I am Brahman,

‣ and also the means of inquiry into and verification of the mahAvAkyas,

• Just as the premise of science that the brain is the origin and nature of the individual consciousness, is a belief that drives its empirical research of science,

‣ the premise of Brahman is the source and nature of all individual consciousness is also a belief that drives the spiritual research of Vedanta.

Thus, the answer to the source and nature of consciousness, IMO, will provide the answer to all other questions, whether in science or in Vedanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back