• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Of what does a Brahmin make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the history of s.a. tamils is different from that of emigrated tamils elsewhere.

they are survivors of what possibly was the cruellest organized society state sanctioned segration, akin to hinduism.

one needs to read up on the 20th century history of s.africa, in order, even to gauge, their experience.

that you being a padayachi, is or may be an identification, and mainlybecause, your forebears have had an open climate of communication with india. malaya was never a closed oppressive racist society like south africa.

if i can speak on what i know, a surname of padayachee is just that. i know pakkirisaamis and munusaamis from south africa. they marry to nairs and moodlis. to them, these are just names, but above all, they are all hindus and that's all counts.

so to ask someone like marvin, 'if naidoo is a birthright or a qualification', is unfair. to me, and pardon me for this, its sounds awfully insensitive. that is my take on this..

this is only for south africa. a naidu in india is quite a different categorization altogether, which you are probably familiar with.

for anyone venturing into this branch of the thread, i would recommend that they read some primers on apartheid in south africa, and where indians stood on the totem pole, and how they endured and won.

Dear K sir,

I'm sorry to intrude between you and Renu but if i can just add something. I don't doubt at all that apartheid was cruel but if feel post apartheid has been more of a disappointment to SA Hindus because of the black affirmative action and pro black policies. These Hindus are suffering twice and this is their country! It seems to be very very Idi Aminesque and also like our Bumiputra policy in Malaysia. Leaves a very bad taste IMHO.

One Padayachee uncle family friend we have said if you had a job in the govt. now after you retire no way will it be filled by a Hindu or Muslim. They will replaced with SA blacks. It seems to me bar S'pore, the West and Mauritius our ehtnic Indians are having to deal with racism everywhere. Even Fiji! :(

Dear renu,

If the public considers our chat an argument, then you win, for i would any day rather lose to my dear friend than anyone else. :)

But.

But, let me unravel some backgrounds of ethnic Indians over the centuries and how terms, are connotated differently in their culture. this is what i know now, and as i know more, i will change my views. so this is not for arguement with the public.

Starting early 1800s when indentured Indian labourers replaced enslaved Africans, they came of the poorer strata, from south and bihar mostly. They had no priests in them, but admirably they clung to the Hinduism that they were familiar with. And passed it on the generations. We should remember, once you left Indian shores, there was no communication further, and hardly any one returned.

From what I know, the knowledge of the poosari, of the temples of s.africa, Mauritius, or French west Indian islands (yes there are tamils there), passed on to who ever was available or interested. The accents and knowledge dwindled, but the commitment was there. so instead of a poosari caste in tamil Hinduism, we have the role taken, and many a time an elderly lady. As was the case with the grand mother of one of my s.african tamil friends, from Durban.

In Guyana, Trinidad, the same thing. The priest role came to be called Brahmin or pandit. Again, there were no caste Brahmins, and like Mauritius or south Africa, these people freely intermarried, and had large families. Those who could mumble a few words, and felt comfortable swinging the lamp in front of pictures of deities, became the Brahmin or the priest.

So, the term priest Brahmin etc., afaik, was more someone who was not of the caste but of the role, and hence, Brahmin is a changeable attainable status, with poonal if warranted. I have noticed, even in the hindu Punjabi prayer houses, the role of the pundit, need not necessarily be of the Brahmin caste. It all depends on the group, and usually the older man takes the role to perform the dooh daahs.

To stretch it further, with my children, and their view of non caste Hinduism, and who knows, two generations from now, just as xtians or jewish or muslims, these too might take interest in theology, and based on their knowledge, and interest, assume responsibility of running a temple functions, something for which we import vathiars from india, whose calibre, is just as good or bad, as the average in india, and whose appointment here is not based on qualifications, but contacts.

Because, my descendents will be coming armed with knowledge, and their approach will be more theological than birth right, and I do think, that in the light of so much ignorance among tamil Brahmins, and because of the prestige paid to interest from north America, these, irrespective of what caste the parents or grand parents be, will adorn the poonal, with all the due respects and goodness that goes with not. Not the lavish status indicating hypocritical show of wealth display of a standard tambram poonal function of today, with the said poonal adorning a nail on the wall, even before the sun is set.

our boston sankara, may just be a few decades ahead of his time, and probably a pioneer, in the concept of qualified vedic brahmins, and our reach back to ancient vedic custom of transformable varnas. :)

On a slightly deflective topic: my health care needs are met by doctors at mt Sinai hospital in Toronto, a jewish managed one. increasingly few, but in the 80s through 20s, I used to share the waiting room with holocaust survivors. The minute, one is recognized such, you should see the light of respect that come in the eyes of the hospital staff.

The reverence and awe, is something I used to watch and admire. I would consider the Indians of south Africa, similar in their experience. Except, now, post apartheid, some may be unsettled and unsure of their future. It is a beautiful country, cape town is heaven on earth, and I sincerely hope the country does good.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Amla
Contrary to what you are saying, we have come a long way since apartheid. Previously we have been resigned to townships, where travel and accommodation to certain provinces was restricted or tightly controlled, due to the group areas act. Post 1994, we now live in an open integrated society. Though many of us remain in the townships for economic reasons, quite a few have moved out into the more affluent and previously "white areas". We also have a large number of people that prefer to stay among their own race, sense of community.
As far as work opportunities, and affirmative action. It has affected us but not significantly. Our Indian communities have focused on Education, I would say almost 90+% of students goes on to do some post school studies, we produce amongst the best graduates in the country. This enables our children to get ahead and spread their wings even further. A lot of them are resettling in Gauteng, the "Gold" province, and making great headway. The one motto I think that we have learnt was, what does not kill us will make us stronger. Nothing is given to us, we need to go out and get it, make it happen.
Marvin (Durban)

/.....The one motto I think that we have learnt was, what does not kill us will make us stronger. Nothing is given to us, we need to go out and get it, make it happen.
Marvin (Durban)

a good verbalization of the tambram experience of the past 100 years :) i could not have put it better...

Dear Amla
Contrary to what you are saying, we have come a long way since apartheid. Previously we have been resigned to townships, where travel and accommodation to certain provinces was restricted or tightly controlled, due to the group areas act. Post 1994, we now live in an open integrated society. Though many of us remain in the townships for economic reasons, quite a few have moved out into the more affluent and previously "white areas". We also have a large number of people that prefer to stay among their own race, sense of community.
As far as work opportunities, and affirmative action. It has affected us but not significantly. Our Indian communities have focused on Education, I would say almost 90+% of students goes on to do some post school studies, we produce amongst the best graduates in the country. This enables our children to get ahead and spread their wings even further. A lot of them are resettling in Gauteng, the "Gold" province, and making great headway. The one motto I think that we have learnt was, what does not kill us will make us stronger. Nothing is given to us, we need to go out and get it, make it happen.
Marvin (Durban)

dear marvin,

I was there in your beautiful country a few years ago, egged more, by my south African friends of Toronto, post apartheid.

I missed Durban and hope to make it up some day. when I saw cape town, my thought was, ‘god, when I die, and if I qualify to go to heaven, let it be like cape town’.

Even Soweto, looks like a posh neighbourhoods, compared to the slums and bustees of india. Robben island, now shorn of the cruelty, still is a 3* hotel with flush toilets, compared to india. <edited and removed the comments about india. plz refrain from posting derogotary comments about our country>

Also was stunned by the two societies, the first world and the third world. In many places, we were the only brown family, and I particularly went after boers and members of the ex SADF and BOSS. Over a few beers, the curtains dropped between the brown interrogator and the white racist, and soon I was engulfed in details of wars in Mozambique, Angola, experience with Russians, Cubans and ofcourse ANC. Awesome trip it was.

I left with a sadness, as I fervently prayed, that south Africa does not become another Zimbabwe. My guide, an Indian, terrence andipattan, was appalled by the invasion of migrants from all parts of Africa and I pointed it out to him, ‘for the rest of Africa, south Africa is heaven’. He reluctantly agreed, as we watched the eyesore of slums outside of cape town airport.

the only way to stop this was to reintroduce the 'pass laws' which no black south african wants, i guess.

God Bless your country and I wish it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear renu,

If the public considers our chat an argument, then you win, for i would any day rather lose to my dear friend than anyone else. :)

Thank you.

Dear Kunjs,

I never considered it an argument but I was afraid that it might lead to a misunderstanding between me and Marvin.

Cool Dude... You know me well..would I ever want to fight for no reason at all??
I seldom fight but if I fight its all hell break loose!!LOL(Just kidding)

lots of love
renu

Dear Anamika,
Coming from some one residing in Boston, you may want to read through other stuff of the author to confirm if you really feel so.

Dear Ozone Sir,

Thanks for your concern; I have read Shankar Sir's previous posts too.

I feel it is OK for a foreigner to be interested in our culture and heritage and wish to practice it. We have so many examples like Annai, Sister Nivedhita and many other devotees famous for their dedication and sincerity.

The fact here is the path of Bhakti or meditation/Yoga does not specify language, caste or creed or geographical barriers as we have our own examples of Nayanmars (people from all caste have raised to become devotees of Lord Siva).

Vedathiri Maharishi Ashram in Aliyar gives a course on BRahma Gnanam; This is given to people of all castes, men and women, provided they complete the introspection course levels upto 4.

If Shankar Sir is keen to follow only ritual-based worship, it seems a bit complex. As we all know, the ritualistic part of Hinduism is not lenient and non-flexible, and I am not qualified to comment on a culture holding good for thousands of years and still going strong!

It is often said that our sincere prayers take us near our Guru; If Shankar Sir can possibly be a disciple and seek initiation from a REAL Guruji, may be he will be blessed with more peace of mind and fruits of his wishes.

Regards
anamika

Dear Sri.Praveen, Greetings.

I refer to your deleting a part of the message in post #54. You explained that part of the message was a derogatory comment about our country. I respect that.

When are you going to start deleting the comments made in this forum in derogatory to a whole community? Such derogatory comments are not acheiving anything. Such comments will not change the attitudes of any backward thinking persons. It would be really nice if you can start deleting derogatory comments made against one community, any community, please.

I am a humanist. I stand for everyhuman being, irrespective of their religion, caste or creed. I find, polite approach yields much better results in the way social reforms.

Let me cite an example from my recent experience. In the near future, we are going to conduct 'Sumangali Prarthanai' ( சுமங்கலி பிரார்த்தனை). It is going to be conducted at my sister-in-law's residence. She and her mother-in-law are very conservative. I gave the list of 'sumangalis' who are expected to attend.. one of them is my niece, married IC. Initially that proposal was turned down. I started advocating my case. Yes, it took about 10 to 15 minutes; at last everyone accepted, my niece can attend the function as one of the 'sumangalis'.

My point is simple. I am watching this forum for past about 2 years. Harsh derogatory comments doled out across the board against any one community (in this case brahmin community) presents only juicy read; but improved nothing in my opinion. You claim to have started this forum for the betterment of brahmin community. How about you adopt softer, gentler approach for the next 12 months or so, please? Can I request you to change the approach of this forum, please?

I would much appreciate a feed back from you, please. Thanks.

Cheers!

I refer to your deleting a part of the message in post #54. You explained that part of the message was a derogatory comment about our country. I respect that.

When are you going to start deleting the comments made in this forum in derogatory to a whole community? Such derogatory comments are not acheiving anything. Such comments will not change the attitudes of any backward thinking persons. It would be really nice if you can start deleting derogatory comments made against one community, any community, please.

I am a humanist. I stand for everyhuman being, irrespective of their religion, caste or creed. I find, polite approach yields much better results in the way social reforms.

Let me cite an example from my recent experience. In the near future, we are going to conduct 'Sumangali Prarthanai' ( சுமங்கலி பிரார்த்தனை). It is going to be conducted at my sister-in-law's residence. She and her mother-in-law are very conservative. I gave the list of 'sumangalis' who are expected to attend.. one of them is my niece, married IC. Initially that proposal was turned down. I started advocating my case. Yes, it took about 10 to 15 minutes; at last everyone accepted, my niece can attend the function as one of the 'sumangalis'.

My point is simple. I am watching this forum for past about 2 years. Harsh derogatory comments doled out across the board against any one community (in this case brahmin community) presents only juicy read; but improved nothing in my opinion. You claim to have started this forum for the betterment of brahmin community. How about you adopt softer, gentler approach for the next 12 months or so, please? Can I request you to change the approach of this forum, please?

I would much appreciate a feed back from you, please. Thanks.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

I liked your post cos its sounded very sincere and full of concern.
I am sure your are thinking in very rational terms and not asking anyone to sweep problems faced by any community under the carpet but instead trying to instill progressive changes without sounding harsh.

The whole Sumangali Pooja thing reminded me of a situation some years ago when the similar pooja was held at a Bhajan centre and a chinese devotee who was a divorcee wanted to participate and all the so called Sumangalis refused to allow here.
She was only asking for KumKum and Vibuthi and nothing else but still many ladies were mad with her for even asking that.

Yes you are right..no one likes to read any harsh comments about any community be its Brahmin or Non Brahmin becos we cant paint a whole community with the same brush just becos of a few fanatics who spoil the image of a community.

But to be frank..you guys are a patient lot to read unfavorable remarks about your own community most of the time out here in TB forum.

May be its Sattva Guna or some amount of fear too..I dont know but its never too late to make a change..Raghy I liked your post lots.

raghy,

re your post #57

very good of you to stand by your niece of ic marriage and insist that she attend SP.

thankfully, my own family immediate, is liberated enough to allow such attendance.

i do know of a few, where an ic or ir marriage instances, where the girl or girl-in-law in question, was shunned, much to the grief of the parties concerned.

i hope my support of this, and of yourself, will not be construed, as brahmin bashing by the powers concerned :)

i should learn to tread softly and gently now :)

!

dear raghy,

i too respect that, in the same spirit that you have written. i have a high respect for your standards, as you very well know.

if you dont mind, i would like to take your suggestion, one bit further.

maybe the forum powers should post some examples of what constitutes derogation to the tambram community. but since that itself would be tambram derogatory, we can use some other community, or simpy xyz.

that way, honourable members, prior to posting, can have this ready reference, and compare their creation against this, and also, would have a good case, should they find their penmanship red flagged (i notice now we have gone to the soft red, which i welcome as i find it less intimidating - nothing like the velvet iron glove, i say!)

it would also enhance the appearance of fairness of the moderation, of which, much to my distress, there has been a lot of discussion. i have already written a post on that, with reference to a.g.gardiner's 'on the rule of the road', which appeared to have received the attention only of one honourable member. why is it that, i wonder. for had they read it, many a member whose cryptic and slight remarks would have been unnecessary, as most of my observation on moderation, fell on these' :) i think there is nothing worse than having followers, following you for the wrong reason. it is embarassing to see that. i hope this observation is not consider brahmin bashing :)

should this suggestion be taken up, i look forward to contribution by all members, as to what constitues derogatory comments. in fact i think, that is a good topic to start a thread.

hope you are enjoying the summer in oz. it is minus 20 celsius here :(

Last edited:
Yes you are right..no one likes to read any harsh comments about any community be its Brahmin or Non Brahmin becos we cant paint a whole community with the same brush just becos of a few fanatics who spoil the image of a community.

But to be frank..you guys are a patient lot to read unfavorable remarks about your own community most of the time out here in TB forum.

May be its Sattva Guna or some amount of fear too..I dont know but its never too late to make a change..Raghy I liked your post lots.

dearest renus,

in most instances, flatttery gets you everywhere, but unfortunately, of late, i have found and this is my opinion only, that 'a patient lot to read unfavorable remarks about your own community most of the time' is not happening.

to give you an example, i suspected an honourable member of obsession with my posts in a negative way, and laid a few baits. the fish took the bait, and sure, i could expect vitriol against me :). in the interest of fairness, the moderator removed those posts, and gave me a suggestion, for which i have no energy!

i think it is good for a community to learn to laugh at itself at its squabbles and idiosyncracies. it is good for their mental health.

seriously dear renus, if a community does not move with the changing norms, it will find the changes imposed on it. this is not a deliberate move on the society outside of it, but by and large, the changes will explode from within. sadly, i should say, from what i know, no community, has taken a pro active steps, anticipated coming changes, and kept ahead of it.

though i should say, as a city state, singapore comes close to it.

just my two bits dear renus, and hope it has been a sunny day at your place. here it is cloudy, snowed last night, and minus 20 celsius. but ofcourse, after writing this note to you, my heart is sunny and warm :)

Sri.Kunjuppu, Greetings.

hope you are enjoying the summer in oz. it is minus 20 celsius here

Not really. I don't much enjoy the summer here. I just love the winter. Initially I and Mrs.R were planning to visit Toronto in 2012 Ferruary, mainly to enjoy minus 30 degree centigrade temperatures. But can't do it this year. We are already booking our holidays for February 2013. Have to choose between Toronto or Newzealand (South Island). Mrs.R hates the long haul flight to LA (20 hours). I always loved the winter in New Market.

Cheers!

dearest renus,

just my two bits dear renus, and hope it has been a sunny day at your place. here it is cloudy, snowed last night, and minus 20 celsius. but ofcourse, after writing this note to you, my heart is sunny and warm :)

Dear Kunjs,

Its rainy here..and its holidays for the next 3 days for Chinese New Year on 23rd and 24th Jan.

GONG XI FA CHAI..welcome the year of the Dragon.(Chinese Zodiac).

Chinese Zodiac is real cute and fun..click this link to find whats your Chinese Zodiac.
My Chinese Zodiac is DOG(நாய்)..

Chinese Zodiac Sign Calculator

Last edited:
dear raghy,

i too respect that, in the same spirit that you have written. i have a high respect for your standards, as you very well know.

if you dont mind, i would like to take your suggestion, one bit further.

maybe the forum powers should post some examples of what constitutes derogation to the tambram community. but since that itself would be tambram derogatory, we can use some other community, or simpy xyz.

that way, honourable members, prior to posting, can have this ready reference, and compare their creation against this, and also, would have a good case, should they find their penmanship red flagged (i notice now we have gone to the soft red, which i welcome as i find it less intimidating - nothing like the velvet iron glove, i say!)

it would also enhance the appearance of fairness of the moderation, of which, much to my distress, there has been a lot of discussion. i have already written a post on that, with reference to a.g.gardiner's 'on the rule of the road', which appeared to have received the attention only of one honourable member. why is it that, i wonder. for had they read it, many a member whose cryptic and slight remarks would have been unnecessary, as most of my observation on moderation, fell on these' :) i think there is nothing worse than having followers, following you for the wrong reason. it is embarassing to see that. i hope this observation is not consider brahmin bashing :)

should this suggestion be taken up, i look forward to contribution by all members, as to what constitues derogatory comments. in fact i think, that is a good topic to start a thread.

hope you are enjoying the summer in oz. it is minus 20 celsius here :(

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu,

I am all for criticising. Without criticising, nothing is going to improve. But there are people who bring forward changes on their own too. ( I shall write about such persons in a later instance). But in general, constructive criticism are very nice. Our society can and will advance if we don't tie it down with guilty feelings. Mrs.R came from a staunch Iyengar family; she has no problem in cooking dinner for a Naidoo young man who was invited by my daughter. Sure, they are only youngsters. But still, the social improvement is there. Mrs.R was the first person to support my niece to be counted in the SP.

You are right; any positive changes should come from within. But someone rejects our community altogether and starts criticising that, the first reaction is to defend our community. As you know very well, that is what we have witnessed in this forum for the last few years. On the other hand, if we progressed at the rate of one inch at a time, only small progress at a time, we could have progressed few feet without even realising our progress. Such progress would be fun too. We like everyone to be happy; we should be happy too.

Criticism should only focused on the actions of our community only. If any action beyond the scope of the wider community gets thrust down the community's throat and if the whole community gets criticised for that, then the community becomes a sitting duck. It can neither move forward nor backward. Such situations should not happen at all. We should never drive a person to the corner. If we do, even a mouse will fight a cat; what's more, sometime will win too.

No commnity wants to stay in a stagnant position. Every comunity wants to improve and develop. Constructive criticisms with a scope ofimprovement would enable the community to go forward. On the other hand, negtive criticisms drain the community's energy in defending such criticism.

I sincerly hope, learned persons of this forum would present my ideas in a more nicer way, please. Thanks.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back