• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Observing 10 days mourning !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all

I just joined this beutiful forum. Always I have wondered about some of the customs and tradition that we have been following. I wanted to know whether we should observe 10 days of mourning period ( we call here in kerala tamizh as 'pelai' ) for the death of distant relatives - cousins - termed as dhaayadhis. Recently one of the distant cousin (the exact relation goes as my the departed soul is my great grandfather's cousin brother son) passed away. I have to start living in a new house for which already grahapravesam and all other things are done. but some of the pundits here are telling I can start staying only after 10 days of the mourning period. Is it necessary. I don't even know this relative who passed away. I do expect a valid advise with reasons as I believe some of the rituals and tradition should be modified according to the current time period. Also I have lot of questions on other practises as well which I will post in different entries. thanks again for creating a wonderful space to share our views.

rgds

MohanIyyer

Dear all

I just joined this beutiful forum. Always I have wondered about some of the customs and tradition that we have been following. I wanted to know whether we should observe 10 days of mourning period ( we call here in kerala tamizh as 'pelai' ) for the death of distant relatives - cousins - termed as dhaayadhis. Recently one of the distant cousin (the exact relation goes as my the departed soul is my great grandfather's cousin brother son) passed away. I have to start living in a new house for which already grahapravesam and all other things are done. but some of the pundits here are telling I can start staying only after 10 days of the mourning period. Is it necessary. I don't even know this relative who passed away. I do expect a valid advise with reasons as I believe some of the rituals and tradition should be modified according to the current time period. Also I have lot of questions on other practises as well which I will post in different entries. thanks again for creating a wonderful space to share our views.

rgds

MohanIyyer

Mourning was observed along with near and dear when their beloved one departs for eternal world.So If you celebrate your joyous occasions their sorrow may be ecxagerated.So to be humane you have to limit your feeling for other's sake. When you have no connection with them what had prevented your joy.( Heard in some Upanyaasam) With warm regards wrongan.

கொள்ளுதாத்தாவோட, ஒண்ணுவிட்ட சகோதரருடய பையன் என்னும்போது ஒரு வகையில் அவர் உங்களுக்கு தாத்தாவாகிறார்.

அது அம்மாவழி என்றால் உங்களுக்கு 3 நாள் துக்கம் தான்.

அதே அப்பாவழி என்றால் உங்கள் கோத்திரத்துக்காரர் என்னும்போது உங்களுக்கு தாயாதியாகிறார்.

கண்டிப்பாக 10 நாட்களுக்குள் சென்று தலையை காட்டிவிட்டு வரவும்.

தாலி துக்கமாக இருந்தால் (இறந்தது மனைவி உயிரோடு இருக்கும் ஆணாக இருக்கும் பட்சத்தில்) ,உங்கள் மனவியையும் அழைத்துச்செல்வது நலம்.

அவ்வாறு அழைத்துச்செல்லும்போது அவர்களது புடவைத்தலைப்பில் மஞ்சள் முடிந்து செல்லவும்.

இறந்தவரின் பரிபூரண ஆசிர்வாதம் உங்களுக்கு கிடைக்கும்.

Daily prayers

Thanks to both of you for responding. Please give more light on the daily anushtanams which can be done during this period. Are we allowed to do sandyavandanam and chant slokas like vishnusahasranamam ? no one has got a clear picture as it differs person to person.

Thanks to both of you for responding. Please give more light on the daily anushtanams which can be done during this period. Are we allowed to do sandyavandanam and chant slokas like vishnusahasranamam ? no one has got a clear picture as it differs person to person.

Sandhyavandhanam has to be performed thrice a day from the moment one gets BRAHMOPADHESAM TILL ONE BREATHS HIS LAST.Generally vibuthi is applied without mixing with water.(ie.puzhuthi vibuthi) It advised to avoid worshiping any(God) one other than the departed during that time. wrongan.

Sandyavanthanam is a Nithya Kharma. You must do Thrice a day it Daily.

Chanting Vishnu Sahasranama is never Restricted in our Hindu Sashtras and Samprathayams.

both are entirely different. Even Mahavishnu cant say that we should not chant his Namavali.

Sarvam Krishnarpanam..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back