• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nobel prize winners

sravna

Nobel prize is awarded for works of great creativity. When you look at the number of nobel prize winners from india which 10 we see 3 are by tamil Brahmins all in physics.

People talk about Ashkenazi Jews being overrepresented among nobel prize winners. That's true. But if you consider that given the same environment, exposure and efforts of Ashkenazis, we can definitely say that tamil Brahmins would have eaten them for breakfast.

More importantly nobel prize does not measure true higher intelligence which is required for the acquisition of higher knowledge. And Brahmins are far ahead of anybody in their contribution to that knowledge.

Their intelligence I would say at an international level is far underrated.

Having said that I would add that it is because of their privileged status they were able to be preeminent in the acquisition of knowledge.

The gist is Brahmins are not second to Ashkenazis and given the opportunity both the groups had others can also do the same.

Shall we then stop talking about America as a nation being exceptional?
What has that got to do with Nobel Prize?

All Nobel Prize is awarded for individual achievements (sometimes a group).

The Nobel Prize selection committee also has its own biases.
Mahatma Gandhi was not awarded the prize, but they gave it to Martin Luther King (it is not to say that he did not deserve it).

Last edited:
May be you are missing the analogy. A group or a nation should not take credit for individual achievements. Everything is a work of individuals or a group only. Why laud the whole nation?

May be you are missing the analogy. A group or a nation should not take credit for individual achievements. Everything is a work of individuals or a group only. Why laud the whole nation?
You laud a nation or a society if it creates an atmosphere where individual achivement is encouraged.

That is your criterion. Mine is you laud a nation when it creates a cooperative and complementing atmosphere.

The problem is one wants to somehow give credit for America as a nation. But whatever be the achievement of the members of the other groups they do not want to ascribe it to the excellence of the group and the atmosphere created by the group. Any talk of group excellence is considered a misplaced sense of superiority of the group members. This is the case especially when it comes to Brahmins.

It is a cliched but valid argument that the caste system for which the Brahmins system castigated was originally the pragmatic varna system. Brahmins did not usurp power or wealth. They were with kshatriyas and Vysyas.

Coming to the present day system, there is an overwhelming bias favoring the powerful and the wealthy whether it is in India or America. Power and wealth are synonymous.

Yes through knowledge one can acquire power and wealth but look at the tragedy of how that knowledge is misused for serving your higher ups in power. This was very wisely accounted for in the varna system which did not mix knowledge and power.

The present system is ill conceived in addition to being skewed heavily towards hereditary transmission of power and wealth.

By mixing what should be orthogonal and subordinating knowledge to power we have created a system where there is no control over the whims and fancies and even evil designs of the powerful.

The sound rationale of the varna system will get more and more evident as the societies and the world begin to reel under unrestrained misuse of power and money.

That is your criterion. Mine is you laud a nation when it creates a cooperative and complementing atmosphere.
It is a dog-eat-dog world, and you live in a utopia.
I will cooperate with anyone if it is in my interest. I will fight anyone if it is in my interest. I think that is the nature of the world.
The talk of peace will work if you carry a bigger stick.
Might is right, there is no room at the top for a weakling.
We use carrots and sticks to motivate a donkey If carrots work it is great, but if that fails the stick has to come out.

If one is weak then band together with others to build up courage and face the challenge.
Only the weak have to surrender their meager resources to join forces. The mighty never compromise.

It is a dog-eat-dog world, and you live in a utopia.
I will cooperate with anyone if it is in my interest. I will fight anyone if it is in my interest. I think that is the nature of the world.
The talk of peace will work if you carry a bigger stick.
Might is right, there is no room at the top for a weakling.
We use carrots and sticks to motivate a donkey If carrots work it is great, but if that fails the stick has to come out.

If one is weak then band together with others to build up courage and face the challenge.
Only the weak have to surrender their meager resources to join forces. The mighty never compromise.

Might doesn't mean brute power and seeking peace is not a sign of weakness. Lord Krishna sought peace to begin with but Duryodana mistook it as the weakness of the Pandavas.

One should not get carried away by power. Ultimately one will realize the converse that right is might and to seek peace and harmony is what the right are inclined to do.

To add

Let dogs be dogs. It is difficult to change the nature. I want to work on humans. People who have the capacity for fine thinking and who are likely to respond favorably to any effort to change the existing chaos.

I believe in the underlying positivity of humans and with a right approach one can definitely appeal to that positivity within.

Last edited:
Sravna as much as I am ok with the Varna system if its practiced as it is preached in the Gita and Purusha Shuktam as a function of Gunas and Karma, but somehow I feel you might actually do better if you are less attached to the idea of intelligence.

What we call intelligence is recycled knowledge..none of us even Nobel Prize winners reinvented the wheel..even they learnt ABCD from their kindergarten teacher.

So what is intelligence?
What we call intelligence is in reality is
INFORMATION processing in the human mind and body.

Is it permenant?
No, its data and can be deleted anytime if one gets Dementia or Alzheimers or even a brain injury.

So why be so so attached to a function of the brain?

That way shouldnt we get attached to the function of our hands for making it possible for us to put food our mouths?

Isnt it a waste of time to be obsessed over an organ in the body?

So am I trying to convey?
Just ditch thinking?
No! All we need to do is use it right for betterment of self, family, nation, world and universe and not get attached to it.

We should be knowing by now that Atma Vichara has nothing to do with acquired knowledge rathers its about laying all that aside and align with the Universal Intelligence.

So all these acquired intelligence is fine but it need not be glorified.

Renuka,

I agree. I am for the use of intelligence that is balanced and requires to give others consideration. Your intelligence is not complete and functioning half baked when you don't do that. The people who say self only are definitely missing the finer aspects of the mind.

Those who talk about might and strength have their success backing them. To be specific the success of science and technology. They think with that they can get away with anything. The civilized face is only a facade covering their real face. They would not hesitate to bare the real face given the right time.

We saw it during Trump era but I think that was done out of force than because the time was right as America is turning into a declining power.

If a good looking person is attached to his/her beauty as his/her prized possession he/she is often reminded that " beauty is only skin deep".

Now, what if a person is attached to the concept of intelligence?
Isn't it the same?
Should we say "intelligence is only grey matter deep?"

I would certainly say so.
If we take a look at our own brain through an MRI over the years and see age related changes, we would certainly know that the brain too ages and we lose some amount of our neuronal ability.

Bhajo Govindam ..Nahi Nahi Rakshatin Dukren Karane.

Adi Shankaracharya was reminding us to keep focussing on God, your neurons decline with age.

The intellect is the biggest trap, we should just use it as a tool but never fall in love with it and let it rule us.

Are we just only defined by our intellect?
If so why did Adi Shankaracharya sing" I am not the mind, intellect, memory and ego?"

The 1st he listed was the brain function.

Its a hint on where all the problem arises.
In our very own brain.

Each person has their own intelligence.

If a top notch scientist is placed in a dense jungle he would need the help of a tribal there to survive.
The tribal has specialized intelligence in the jungle.
He would know what fruits and plants can be eaten.

The scientist is intelligent in his lab.
The tribal wont function in the lab.

Do you see how individualized we are?

Are we really intelligent?
No, but collectively we are the reflection of the Cosmic Intelligence.

So why feel so attached to just a fraction of intelligence?

If a good looking person is attached to his/her beauty as his/her prized possession he/she is often reminded that " beauty is only skin deep".

Now, what if a person is attached to the concept of intelligence?
Isn't it the same?
Should we say "intelligence is only grey matter deep?"

I would certainly say so.
If we take a look at our own brain through an MRI over the years and see age related changes, we would certainly know that the brain too ages and we lose some amount of our neuronal ability.

Bhajo Govindam ..Nahi Nahi Rakshatin Dukren Karane.

Adi Shankaracharya was reminding us to keep focussing on God, your neurons decline with age.

The intellect is the biggest trap, we should just use it as a tool but never fall in love with it and let it rule us.

Are we just only defined by our intellect?
If so why did Adi Shankaracharya sing" I am not the mind, intellect, memory and ego?"

The 1st he listed was the brain function.

Its a hint on where all the problem arises.
In our very own brain.

Each person has their own intelligence.

If a top notch scientist is placed in a dense jungle he would need the help of a tribal there to survive.
The tribal has specialized intelligence in the jungle.
He would know what fruits and plants can be eaten.

The scientist is intelligent in his lab.
The tribal wont function in the lab.

Do you see how individualized we are?

Are we really intelligent?
No, but collectively we are the reflection of the Cosmic Intelligence.

So why feel so attached to just a fraction of intelligence?

Renuka,

There are two types of intelligence. What you describe will work for the spiritual type. But there is Maya driven intelligence which wants to work through the parameters of only the physical world. Science and technology for example are products of the practice of such type of intelligence.

One type cannot live in isolation from the other. There are interactions, conflicts between them. Our times is predominantly ruled by Maya driven intelligence. I believe balance has to happen. So when I talk about higher intelligence I am not doing it because I am attached to it. I believe in the equivalence of both in stature but they can play complementary roles. That is my objective. To market higher intelligence to bring about that balance.

Renuka,

There are two types of intelligence. What you describe will work for the spiritual type. But there is Maya driven intelligence which wants to work through the parameters of only the physical world. Science and technology for example are products of the practice of such type of intelligence.

One type cannot live in isolation from the other. There are interactions, conflicts between them. Our times is predominantly ruled by Maya driven intelligence. I believe balance has to happen. So when I talk about higher intelligence I am not doing it because I am attached to it. I believe in the equivalence of both in stature but they can play complementary roles. That is my objective. To market higher intelligence to bring about that balance.
Sravna, higher intelligence can not be marketed.
Its a state of realization.

Whatever you are talking about is still very much normal human IQ which some have higher than the other.

Sravna, higher intelligence can not be marketed.
Its a state of realization.

Whatever you are talking about is still very much normal human IQ which some have higher than the other.
Ok Renuka. At least talking about it creates the awareness about it. That intelligence can be beyond analytic and creative. Actually higher intelligence is nothing but what we call wisdom when we apply it to practical matters.

Ok Renuka. At least talking about it creates the awareness about it. That intelligence can be beyond analytic and creative. Actually higher intelligence is nothing but what we call wisdom when we apply it to practical matters.
Higher intelligence is not wisdom.
Wisdom is acquired knowledge through time, experience and mistakes.

Higher intelligence is jnaana where its revelations and one who transmits this jnaana to others knows he/she is merely an instrument and God is the doer.

Chapter 11 verse 33 Bhagavad Gita where Shree Krishna tells Arjuna..
" Nimitta- maatram bhava"

Meaning : Be only an instrument"

This is higher intelligence where the Cosmic intelligence functions through a person.

It is only from God and no one can make anyone else aware of it and it can happen to anyone and formal education isnt a pre requisite.

A top notch scientist might not get to experience the state of being an instrument but a simple non formally educated person might experience it.

Its not that once one experiences this one becomes Omniscient but one will have knowledge to what is relevant to the present.

For eg some saints have never spoken English in their lives but when faced with a person who speaks English these sadhus would be able to speak English fluently because they would be "given" access to tap into the Cosmic consciousness just for that moment to retrive relevant data as to speak English.
Once they are done speaking they would not have any idea of English again unless they meet another person who speaks English.

Btw this type of access is not determined by varna or education status or IQ.

Renuka,

Google the following

Wisdom meaning in tamil

I believe it is a practical application of higher intelligence. I stand by it.

Renuka,

Google the following

Wisdom meaning in tamil

I believe it is a practical application of higher intelligence. I stand by it.
Its fine Sravna..one can call it Higher Intelligence but thats purely one's own IQ and acquired knowledge and one isnt an instrument yet.

I am quoting a line from Star Wars..
"The force is with you young Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet"

Likewise..Acquired knowledge is with you ( anyone)..but you are not an instrument yet"

Its fine Sravna..one can call it Higher Intelligence but thats purely one's own IQ and acquired knowledge and one isnt an instrument yet.

I am quoting a line from Star Wars..
"The force is with you young Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet"

Likewise..Acquired knowledge is with you ( anyone)..but you are not an instrument yet"

Yes I have already demarcated

Explore understand create

From

Intuit realize unify

When the above are complementary

Seeking tangible proof for intuited knowledge
Realizing physical evidence of that knowledge
Externalization of that knowledge

will be the result

Doesn't it sound more like the Jedi stuff? Or even better?

Latest ads

Back