• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

no more பாவாடை தாவணியில்

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

no more பாவாடை தாவணியில்

No more paavadai dhavani in schools | paavadai dhavani | schools | The New Indian Express

those days we sang பாவாடை தாவணியில் பார்த்த உருவமா ...

but today, the popular song goes சுடிதார் அணிந்து வந்த சொர்கமே

i gues J and her ministers must have heard this, and have moved along with the times!

i, for one, sure will miss the dhavani! hmmmmmmmmmmmm (பெரிய பெருமூச்சு) :(

This is really sad. I think some specific textile industry is going to benefit, which tells me there may be some hidden motives for such rules.

பாவாடை தாவணி has been part of tamil culture. It is wrong to slice aspects of the culture one after another.

Dear Kunjuppu,

You said :
i, for one, sure will miss the dhavani! hmmmmmmmmmmmm (பெரிய பெருமூச்சு) :(

Hey how come we women dont miss any attire worn by men?

This trend had started earlier that we would like to admit.

I and my sister used to buy lovely printed cotton paavaadai cloth and stitch pyjama suits with it.

After some years we were unable to find the cloth in any shop. The story goes back to 1980s.

Recently I was duely shocked when I attended Swami Dayananda Saraswathi's lectures.

Most of the 'mami's and a few other high profile ladies had turned up in boy-hair-cut wearing chudidar sets- despite their ripe old age!

Most of the ladies in saris must have felt outdated and out of place as I did!

Paavaadai and davani have not disappeared completely yet.

It is refreshing to see the young participants in certain music competitions and music shows still appear in this colorful and attractive Indian teenage attire!

VR Ji..

you wrote :
Most of the 'mami's and a few other high profile ladies had turned up in boy-hair-cut wearing chudidar sets- despite their ripe old age!

Believe me even here this boy cut hair style is popular with older ladies.
They say its easier to maintain as they age but I some how feel we Indian woman look better with longer hair.

VR ji..one day I will come see you and make you a "Hot Maami" and all other Maamis will get an heart attack (I will bring my CPR kit along for them).
BTW I checked out your pics the sewing class one.

Dear Renu,

I had a tough time dodging from my D.I.l's eternal threat to make me modern- just like how you did now. :mod:

My elder D.I.law has enough hair for a pony tail and the younger sports a bob. :becky:

She wanted just a nod from me to make me up to date. :fear:

I told her point blank that I still respect my mother and she is against applying scissors on a women's hair! :nono:

If I become hotter any further I may actually start scorching people in reality!

VR Ji..

you wrote :

Believe me even here this boy cut hair style is popular with older ladies.
They say its easier to maintain as they age but I some how feel we Indian woman look better with longer hair.

VR ji..one day I will come see you and make you a "Hot Maami" and all other Maamis will get an heart attack (I will bring my CPR kit along for them).
BTW I checked out your pics the sewing class one.

Girls are beautiful in all kinds of attire. Paavadai-Dhavani, Salwar, Sari, Jeans, Skirt etc..etc.. But, basically the mind set and fashion trend of the generation, automatically excludes cultural attire preferences from the girls. And men basically as a admiring creature ends up appreciating the beauty of the girls in any attire from one generation to another.

If ladies here don't knock me on my head, I would like to state the ground reality that, many ladies/girls don't bother if they look damn funny in some costumes that would not suit them at all...

:p

No body now knows paavaadai, thaavani, kosaampodavai, panchakachcham, thalappa, angavastram, etc as far as attire is concerned.

Ask the present generation whether they have heard anything like vaasal, thOtta-
pakkam, thaavaaram, mitham Ottu veedu etc as far as an house is concerned.

Those days are gone.

This is really sad. I think some specific textile industry is going to benefit, which tells me there may be some hidden motives for such rules.

பாவாடை தாவணி has been part of tamil culture. It is wrong to slice aspects of the culture one after another.

drB,

i do not follow this.

pavadai or salwar, i think, the same amount of cloth is needed or similar amount, anyway. so , it cannot tbe cloth.

salwar/kameez takes more skillset to stitch than paavadai. so the tailors are being made a little more money per piece. but then, the government could have paid the same amount for the paavadai anyways.

modesty wise: i think both are equally modest; though the thavani could be sensual. but then, that is not true anyway, as salwar could be sexy too.

the thing that bugs me, is that thavani is unique tamilian thing, and even in the 1950 north indian movies, the heroines sported thavanis, when they portrayed teenagers, as the north had no junior equivalent of saris.

i think JJ and her government are idiots for doing away with thavani.

maybe on a lighter note, maybe JJ had bad experience wearing thavani when acting with MGR! who knows!!

all in all, a bad decision.

the only advantage that i can think of, is mobility: in today's world of running for the bus or biking, salwar makes it easier to handle than the overflowing paavadai. but that is not a good enough reason.

atleast, let the girls have a choice. :(

I told her point blank that I still respect my mother and she is against applying scissors on a women's hair! :nono:

visa,

i am with your mother's sentiments here.

chances are she has seen widows' hair shorn, right in front of her eyes, like the way i have.

to me it was the most freaky feeling. ever.

all the women in my household, always had an almost sacred aura about their hair, and even a small trip at the end, to get rid of the splits, was viewed with suspicion.

racial memores !!! sad racial memories !!

Hi all,

There is nothing like the revealing yet not revealing, suggestive yet not suggestive at the same time remaining very dignified paavadai thaavani. We have gone for the wrong choice in the salwar kameez. But then times are changing.

Sadly I have never had the opportunity to wear pavaadai thaavani during my teens. I got to wear some strange mix of gagra/lengha type stuff. I did wear lots of silk pavadai and blouse as a child and I'm grateful for that.

I feel pavadai thavani and sari take a lot of getting used to and is an acquired thing especially if you rely on public transport. Its far easier running after the bus/train/tube in Salwar/kurta (and flats). And pavadai thavani is not just uniquely Tamil. I've seen other Southerners wear it too.

Salwar set or chudi set is very convenient dress for girls. They have to travel to go to school / college and pAvAdai

thAvani may be a hurdle! I vote for J!!

BTW, how are the gentlemen able to discuss so much about girl's attire? :noidea:

Salwar set or chudi set is very convenient dress for girls. They have to travel to go to school / college and pAvAdai

BTW, how are the gentlemen able to discuss so much about girl's attire? :noidea:

I agree with you..men just love to discuss about a womans attire dont they?

Sadly I have never had the opportunity to wear pavaadai thaavani during my teens. I got to wear some strange mix of gagra/lengha type stuff. I did wear lots of silk pavadai and blouse as a child and I'm grateful for that.

I feel pavadai thavani and sari take a lot of getting used to and is an acquired thing especially if you rely on public transport. Its far easier running after the bus/train/tube in Salwar/kurta (and flats). And pavadai thavani is not just uniquely Tamil. I've seen other Southerners wear it too.

when paavadai thavani was in vogue,men were decent in comments and behaviour.when indecency started women resorted to dignified burqa well almost burqa.i personally think salwar-kameez is a great attire for women,though sari and pavadai thavani has its charms boing boing :)

Me too Amala, I never got a chance to wear Pavadai Thavani but I started wearing sarees at the age of 16 and can run,jump and also played table tennis wearing it once.So I am pro at handling sarees.
My mum used to complain that as a child I will take her sarees and drap them around me and walk in front of the mirror.Poor mum she used to have all her sarees strewn about becos of me.

Last edited:

thats what normal men do,discuss women :).we cant live without you guys hee hee :)

Totally opposite of me..each time I see silk all I think of is the amount of silk worms that died for a silk saree.Its more lifes taken than a non veg meal.
So i stay clear from silk sarees.

doc, how about those bacterium which dies along, when we relish ThaYir saDham?.

Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Streptococcus faecalis, Lactobacillus fermentum and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens are a part and parcel of our dosa delicacy!

apart from your surgical room, do you wear the mask like jain monks?

the word pest control must be out of your dictionary, i think. how do you manage cockroaches in your kitchen. do you feed them with chinese made ornamental fish feeds? :))

doc, how about those bacterium which dies along, when we relish ThaYir saDham?.

Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Streptococcus faecalis, Lactobacillus fermentum and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens are a part and parcel of our dosa delicacy!

apart from your surgical room, do you wear the mask like jain monks?

the word pest control must be out of your dictionary, i think. how do you manage cockroaches in your kitchen. do you feed them with chinese made ornamental fish feeds? :))

The bacteria doesnt die its just relocated to the sewarage system.
I dont kill cockroaches..really i dont..we just catch them and throw them out.
I dont keep fish also in aquariums cos that like keeping them in prison.

But you see with silk and leather we have a choice to chose not to wear it if we are threading the path of Ahimsa.
Even Kanchi Paramacharya had advised againts using of silk and leather.

All of us are guilty of taking lifes in some way or the other but we can prevent loss of lifes as much as we can.

Many dont agree with me when I mention about silk saree cos many say we cant be that particular but believe me the cocoons are boiled alive. We have no idea if they suffer intense pain just for us woman to look good.For me its not worth it to inflict so much pain just for me to look good.

Its just my opinion thats all.

Just to add: Once a priest was at my inlaws home to preform a homa and all the stuff he had brought esp the grains had ants in it and I told him all these ants will die in the fire and he was saying its ok..no big deal but I took all the grains and removed the ants and made sure no ant I could see was burnt in that homa.

Last edited:
Me too Amala, I never got a chance to wear Pavadai Thavani but I started wearing sarees at the age of 16 and can run,jump and also played table tennis wearing it once.So I am pro at handling sarees.
My mum used to complain that as a child I will take her sarees and drap them around me and walk in front of the mirror.Poor mum she used to have all her sarees strewn about becos of me.

Hehe Rekka. Same here. My mum's saris (she wore it daily to work) makeup and high heels would be all messed up by me and my sis.

Hehe Rekka. Same here. My mum's saris (she wore it daily to work) makeup and high heels would be all messed up by me and my sis.

OMG I used to be a pest. I would be so well dressed at home and try on all my mums lipstick and do a cat walk in front of the mirror.I used to wear her platform shoes..that time when I was young platform high heels were in vogue and I used to try on her shoes.heheheehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back