• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

New to Sanatana Dharma

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ste.tuggle

I am a westerner and have been practising Sanatana Dharma for about a year. The local temples have been very accepting of allowing me to participate in everything and I was even elected to the executive board of a Hindu charity. But, there are a couple of things I am curious about, but a little hesitant to ask the local priests. Do I have a gothram or a caste? What is it? I'd like to participate more fully, by going through the various samskaras, such as upanayanam, marriage, namakarana for my (future) children. Can I do this? How should I ask the priest about these things?

I am a westerner and have been practising Sanatana Dharma for about a year. The local temples have been very accepting of allowing me to participate in everything and I was even elected to the executive board of a Hindu charity. But, there are a couple of things I am curious about, but a little hesitant to ask the local priests. Do I have a gothram or a caste? What is it? I'd like to participate more fully, by going through the various samskaras, such as upanayanam, marriage, namakarana for my (future) children. Can I do this? How should I ask the priest about these things?

As this query seems not to have been responded to by anyone, I am filling in. Please be free to check for its correctness or otherwise from more knowledgeable persons.

1. Gothram: Gothram in general indicates the lineage of Rishis who expounded the vedas. Even if you had a gothram, (which I doubt you being a westerner) you are not aware of it. There are certain spiritual organisations like Chinmayananda Mission, Arsha vidya gurukulam etc. which have bases in USA and which facilitate anyone desirous of joining the mainstream Hinduism. As per my limited understanding, the new entrants are absorbed as adoptees of some rishi with the help of some simple ceremony.

2. Can you do the samskaras like upanayanam, marriage, namakarana etc.: It should be possible once you are in the fold of hinduism.

3. Should you ask the priest about these things: Of course, you should. At the first glance itself the priest would know that you are a new entrant to sanatana dharma and they would try to help you out.

As this query seems not to have been responded to by anyone, I am filling in. Please be free to check for its correctness or otherwise from more knowledgeable persons.

1. Gothram: Gothram in general indicates the lineage of Rishis who expounded the vedas. Even if you had a gothram, (which I doubt you being a westerner) you are not aware of it. There are certain spiritual organisations like Chinmayananda Mission, Arsha vidya gurukulam etc. which have bases in USA and which facilitate anyone desirous of joining the mainstream Hinduism. As per my limited understanding, the new entrants are absorbed as adoptees of some rishi with the help of some simple ceremony.

2. Can you do the samskaras like upanayanam, marriage, namakarana etc.: It should be possible once you are in the fold of hinduism.

3. Should you ask the priest about these things: Of course, you should. At the first glance itself the priest would know that you are a new entrant to sanatana dharma and they would try to help you out.

Thanks a lot! There is a Chinmaya Mission in my city (I think that is the same organization), I haven't heard of Arsh Vidya Gurukulam, but I will definitely check them out, hopefully there is one near by. Do you know what that ceremony is called?

Yeah, I was curious if I would be allowed to take upanayanam since I am not in the caste system. Or would I be put in a caste after such a ceremony?

Thanks a lot! There is a Chinmaya Mission in my city (I think that is the same organization), I haven't heard of Arsh Vidya Gurukulam, but I will definitely check them out, hopefully there is one near by. Do you know what that ceremony is called?

Yeah, I was curious if I would be allowed to take upanayanam since I am not in the caste system. Or would I be put in a caste after such a ceremony?
hi
Arsh vidya gurukulam is in Pennsylvania near Allentown....im connected to a local hindu temple....i can help you for the priest.....
local chinmaya mission in DC are are very active with westerners......

Thanks TBS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back