• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Narendra Modi and development of Gujarat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2012

Pravasi Bharatiya Divas:
Modi was given a standing ovation by the audience after his 30-minute speech during which he highlighted the growth achieved in his state.

Modi said that NRIs and people of Indian origin have set up temples in their host countries but the temples lack priests, so he decided to make available priests by preparing them in an institute for temple management."We trained priests and are proud to have export priests to 15 countries. Not only this, we are not looking for exporting teachers to strengthen cultural ties with the Indian diaspora. In this direction, we set up a separate university to prepare teachers and we have a vision to send them abroad on high salary packages," he said.

At PBD Modi dumps his speech, says Oppn-ruled states neglected - Rediff.com News

I think a good number of people (from the South) chose Christianity in the hope of going to foreign countries. Here is a good chance for our own people. More Patashaalas have turned out more Vidwaans or priests but the commanding priests,i,e who have more priests to detail to, complain, that Vaadhyars, for any function are difficult to get (a possible excuse for more money, too). This being the case, the Society can see very fewer people are doing religious poojas and rites. I think the priesthood is a conduit for only material improvement and once on elevation, "kick the ladder". The only solace is people can look after themselves.

In some way, I would say the development of Gujarat and Kerala, was achieved by the people themselves and their governments can claim little. Maybe, Modi a shade better.

I posted only that portion of his speech dealing with training of priests for temples in foreign countries. This is creditable as both the priestly class and the foreign settled gujaratis benefit.

In some way, I would say the development of Gujarat and Kerala, was achieved by the people themselves and their governments can claim little. Maybe, Modi a shade better.

I have lived in Gujarat for nearly 40 years including 10 years under Modi's rule. It is a fact that Gujaratis are born entrepreneurs and the foundation for industrialisation was laid when Gujarat got separated from the erstwhile Bombay state in the late sixties. Gujarat is also blessed with petroleum and natural gas which enabled the state to develop petrochemical industries. Successive chief ministers. irrespective of party affiliation, implemented industry friendly policies. Then, why is the wholesome praise reserved only for Modi? Let me narrate.

- Modi came to power in October 2001 after Gujarat suffered a massive earthquake in January 2001. He used this tragedy as an opportunity and undertook major infrastructure projects in Kutch district which till then was just a desert district neglected by the successive governments. As a result the district has become highly industrialised and a small fishing village called Mundra has become an industrial hub.

- Modi also undertook interlinking of rivers Narmada ( a perennial river) and Sabarmati (a rain-fed river). This was a masterstroke by which he carried Narmada water to the parched districts in Saurashtra, a drought-prone area, and Kutch. I have personally witnessed women walking long distances to fetch water in these regions. There used to be large scale migration of people and cattle from these areas to central and south gujarat in summer in search of water. This has now substantially reduced.

- Despite his focus on industrialisation Modi did not lose sight of agriculture and Gujarat has the highest growth at 13% in agriculture. Saurashtra is a cotton growing area but no farmer commits suicide there unlike Maharashtra and Andhra. Modi is the only CM who has successfully installed electric meters in farms and the farmers pay charges for electricity according to the use. He also got a number of check dams constructed and watershed development programmes implemented as a result the water table has risen in many areas.

- Modi initiated a programme called Jyoti Gram Yojana for providing 24 hours electricity in the villages selected under the scheme. Now thousands of villages have benefited under the scheme and enjoy uninterrupted power.

- Modi is intolerant of corruption and has ensured that ministers under him do not indulge in corruption though some corruption at the lower bureaucracy exists.

- He conceived Vibrant Gujarat Summit which has helped the state to attract unparalleled investments in his state.

Modi wants to compete with China and achieve the same levels of development in his state. It is not for nothing that he is loved by Gujaratis.

subbu,

a great admin. too bad, godhra is going to be stuck with his name. he should have risen above his passions then, and preserved peace.

he could have been a great PM.

subbu,

a great admin. too bad, godhra is going to be stuck with his name. he should have risen above his passions then, and preserved peace.

In my opinion two things aggravated the situation. Godhra muslims chose to attack and burn VHP activists. Attacking political workers is different from attacking a faceless Hindu. There had been communal riots in the past and ordinary Hindus and Muslims had been killed but the riots did not last long. Since the attack in Godhra was on workers belonging to a well-knit organisation, the flare up was massive.

Modi was also wrong in allowing a procession of the dead bodies by the relatives which inflamed passions in an uncontrolled manner. We should remember that Modi was just four months in his office as CM and and has not held any post in government prior to becoming CM. Perhaps he did not visualise the consequences due to inexperience.

Hindus were burnt in godra. Government statistics ( given in parliament) is - about 850 muslims and 450 hindus were killed in gujarat - in godra train burning and post godra riots. Rajiv gandhi was responsible for the death of 8000 sikhs. 90% of the communal riots in gujarat were in congress regime.

So the whole drama is propaganda; let us hope truth sees light of day some day.

subbu,

Hindus were burnt in godra. Government statistics ( given in parliament) is - about 850 muslims and 450 hindus were killed in gujarat - in godra train burning and post godra riots. Rajiv gandhi was responsible for the death of 8000 sikhs. 90% of the communal riots in gujarat were in congress regime.

So the whole drama is propaganda; let us hope truth sees light of day some day.

sarang,

all i am saying is, it will be brought up and the gory images will be displayed. i do not know the figures, if you believe two wrongs make a right, so be it.

nobody said that the burning of the train of hindu pilgrims was right. those guys, i think were caught and punished. those muslims who did that, did greater disservice to their community and india, than ever imagined.

but still, modi's job as chief minister, was to maintain law and order, and not be seen as keeping quiet when godhra was rioting.

re sikh massacre, that is a big shame on hindus. too bad kamalnath and pilot got scott free on that. such is politics.

In my opinion two things aggravated the situation. Godhra muslims chose to attack and burn VHP activists. Attacking political workers is different from attacking a faceless Hindu. There had been communal riots in the past and ordinary Hindus and Muslims had been killed but the riots did not last long. Since the attack in Godhra was on workers belonging to a well-knit organisation, the flare up was massive.

Modi was also wrong in allowing a procession of the dead bodies by the relatives which inflamed passions in an uncontrolled manner. We should remember that Modi was just four months in his office as CM and and has not held any post in government prior to becoming CM. Perhaps he did not visualise the consequences due to inexperience.

subbu,

this was a small 2 inch columner hidden deep in the toronto globe when it happened. i read it, and my immediate reaction, was, OhGod, there is going to be a riot.

and there was.

1. So attack on today's brahmins for presumed injustices in the past will stop henceforth I think.
2. There was a big crowd of over thousand throwing stones on the train and prevented passengers' escape from the burning carriage. How many were convicted? The media and the analysts always suffer from amnesia regarding godra and make no reference to it whenever gujarat riots is discussed.
3. One media analyst made an ass of himself by broadcasting - modi sought central help on 1st march, even though the riots started on 28th february. why did he wait for four days?
4. When there was a massive massacre of sikhs in the streets of delhi, rajiv gandhi made a cryptic statement - when a big tree falls thousands will perish. He willingly allowed the killings to continue and supported the perpetrators.
Why you blame hindus for the killing of sikhs; it was the congress goons; it was not a communal issue.

if you believe two wrongs make a right, so be it.

nobody said that the burning of the train of hindu pilgrims was right. those guys, i think were caught and punished. those muslims who did that, did greater disservice to their community and india, than ever imagined.

but still, modi's job as chief minister, was to maintain law and order, and not be seen as keeping quiet when godhra was rioting.

re sikh massacre, that is a big shame on hindus. too bad kamalnath and pilot got scott free on that. such is politics.

In the last 30 years is there any development in kerala. Dirty communism has killed the state and the state is surviving with the NRI money the moment it is stopped the state is fully bankrupt.

alva183

1. So attack on today's brahmins for presumed injustices in the past will stop henceforth I think. .

Sarang, I really do not understand the context of what you are saying. Right out of the blue too, and if you start talking like this, out of context, I am confused. Try to stick to points, and present quote where you can, so that I can understand what you are talking about. when were Brahmins attacked? In godhra? I thought it was across religious lines – hindus vs muslims, and was not aware Brahmins were singled out.

2. There was a big crowd of over thousand throwing stones on the train and prevented passengers' escape from the burning carriage. How many were convicted? The media and the analysts always suffer from amnesia regarding godra and make no reference to it whenever gujarat riots is discussed. .

I presume this is regard to godhra. Again, all those who attacked the train, should be punished. If you say, many got away, you should talk to modi and ask him why he let them get away. You have just understood the power of the press, and unless there was a cover up, all facts should be presented. Personally, I think, the burning of the train is the most horrible crime and was the cause of the riots.

3. One media analyst made an ass of himself by broadcasting - modi sought central help on 1st march, even though the riots started on 28th february. why did he wait for four days? .

Media is definitely not without bias. But I think modi has enough friends in the media to get his viewpoint heard. Again, and let me tell this once again, my point is, no matter how much he does for Gujarat, including the current 18% annual rate of growth, which even china did not achieve, the stigma of godhra, will stick with him.

That is a fact, and it is also a fact, that Indian businesses will chose to ignore it, and gujaratis will vote him back in huge numbers. So please understand different aspects of governance – economic, lawandorder, police, welfare..and such. It is the duty of the government to maintain peace at all costs, and it is the duty of the government to ensure justice is done and train burners punished.

4. When there was a massive massacre of sikhs in the streets of delhi, rajiv gandhi made a cryptic statement - when a big tree falls thousands will perish. He willingly allowed the killings to continue and supported the perpetrators. .

If you say so. The net result is there is a big feeling of grievance among Sikhs, atleast from what I have read, that the perpetrators of the riots, were not brought to justice, and I agree with you, they were congress goons.
As a side note, with the khalistan war being so intense, including operation bluestar, I always wondered even before she was murdered, why indira had sikh bodyguards. Atleast to me, it was tempting the fates.

Why you blame hindus for the killing of sikhs; it was the congress goons; it was not a communal issue.

Ok, they were congress goons (hindus, muslims, Christians, Buddhists). I give up.

In the last 30 years is there any development in kerala. Dirty communism has killed the state and the state is surviving with the NRI money the moment it is stopped the state is fully bankrupt.

alva183

alva,

what is 'dirty communism'? is there a 'clean communism'?

is it not a fact, that on a regular basis, kerala, unlike bongo, has been changing governments regularly? or am i wrong?

so when congress rules, does it not have the werewithal, to set right, the wrongs done by 'dirty communism'?

i really dont know, how much good has come out of NRI money - except to inflate land prices and promote consumption of rich foods and meat, to highest per capita in india. atleast i think so, and i may be wrong here.

kerala, infact, outside of india, is known for its pristine beaches, and tourism. there are lots of ayurvedic tour packages advertised all over. which we dont find for tamil nadu or karnataka or andhra. so there is some good coming out of absence of industry, congestion and pollution, i guess.

if tourism is managed well, it is a huge money spinner. france, spain and england, have a significant portion of their economic prosperity, owing to just people coming from other countries.

This response
"So attack on today's brahmins for presumed injustices in the past will stop henceforth I think" is related to the this statement ""if you believe two wrongs make a right, so be it."

Surprising when treatment of widows, atrocities on dalits, and all ills of society are thrust on brahmins in almost all threads, whether there is relevance or not for the issue under discussion.

Anyway bbs can take a respite, as nothing will be achieved except mental satisfaction.

Sorry have to strongly disagree here !!.

Modi has built this on the "blood" of many innocent muslims who he DID NOT PROTECT, REFUSED TO PROTECT !!. This is NOT propaganda, millions of people watched these riots, many MANY muslims went to the police for protection & they were REFUSED, subsequently got killed, maimed, etc.. !!.

Have we forgotten the historic story of Kannagi !!

yes, modi has done a terrific job on development, no question on this. Even if he does million more things for the people, it does not change this fact !!

How many hindus were killed in the riots? What has happened to their relatives, wards, properties or anguish?
As in the past thousand years, when massacred, hindus have put the past behind and moved on.
In one tv interview, modi gave instances of 5 riots in gujarat in the past 30 years, and asked the reporter to study those reports and publish his analysis. The reporter refused with the comment that his editors may not give him permission.

Have you ever seen a tv report or an interview with a hindu victim of communal riots?

May be an hour by hour report on riots will help in getting a clear picture instead of generalisations. May be Nanavati report will clear the air to some extent.

Sorry have to strongly disagree here !!.

Modi has built this on the "blood" of many innocent muslims who he DID NOT PROTECT, REFUSED TO PROTECT !!. This is NOT propaganda, millions of people watched these riots, many MANY muslims went to the police for protection & they were REFUSED, subsequently got killed, maimed, etc.. !!.

Have we forgotten the historic story of Kannagi !!

yes, modi has done a terrific job on development, no question on this. Even if he does million more things for the people, it does not change this fact !!

How many hindus were killed in the riots? What has happened to their relatives, wards, properties or anguish?
As in the past thousand years, when massacred, hindus have put the past behind and moved on.
In one tv interview, modi gave instances of 5 riots in gujarat in the past 30 years, and asked the reporter to study those reports and publish his analysis. The reporter refused with the comment that his editors may not give him permission.

Have you ever seen a tv report or an interview with a hindu victim of communal riots?

May be an hour by hour report on riots will help in getting a clear picture instead of generalisations. May be Nanavati report will clear the air to some extent.

Dear Sarang,

The Godhra issue is a "deliberate act of terror" by the state led by Modi. In the other cases of Hindu victims, these were NOT acts of terror by the State. hence the difference & the so much focus on Modi.

Of course all cases of communal riots against Hindus must be brought to book. The fact that the media is biased & focusses only on issues related to Modi DOES NOT MAKE MODI CORRECT !!

Narendra Modi's interview with Headlines Today - YouTube

Link to interview given to headlines today by modi in sep 2011. Worth seeing to at least hear his version, ideas and achievement.

The interview from minutes 10 to 12 is when modi gives reference to past riots (4 under congress and one under bjp/modi), and asks the reporter to do a public service by studying the reports and publish his analysis. Cause, what happened, and action taken post riots.

The riots in 1984, bagalpur, gujarat 1969, mumbai 1992, gujarat 2002.

I refer to post no.18 & 19.
Earlier I have written a detailed account of communal riots in Ahmedabad during
September,1969.
In September,1969 Indira Gandhi was our PM representing Congress Party.
Shri.Hitendra Desai was the Congress Chief Minister of Gujarat.
I should have been a victim of communal riots on the first day.God saved me.
Congress party can stoop to any level just to be in power.
I can only say that Congress party succeeded to a great extent in bringing bad name to Mr.Modi and BJP.
Till today,no newspaper has compared 1969 riots and 2002 riots in Gujarat.

Ref: Post # 5 - I agree Modi has done good for Gujarat. But you have to give credit to the community as well. Except for textile miles, Ankleshwar, Baroda, Surat/Vapi, Gujarat had little to sustain itself. Like Keralites contributing to their state's economy, Gujaratis do the same from outside. You should have seen such areas there which were like deserts. I know the Saurashtra/Gandhidham express were known in the local areas as "paniwali ghadi". Modi has come in the picture recently and his Gujarati pride pits him against the congress and others. As for Godhra, people easily forget that tens of people were roasted alive in the train, but only the aftermath is spoken intensely. Modi's only plus point is he is a bachelor. If he has not been one, things would have been different. Thankfully, he has not followed AB Vajpayee.

Ref: Post # 5 - I agree Modi has done good for Gujarat. But you have to give credit to the community as well. Except for textile miles, Ankleshwar, Baroda, Surat/Vapi, Gujarat had little to sustain itself. Like Keralites contributing to their state's economy, Gujaratis do the same from outside. You should have seen such areas there which were like deserts. I know the Saurashtra/Gandhidham express were known in the local areas as "paniwali ghadi". Modi has come in the picture recently and his Gujarati pride pits him against the congress and others. As for Godhra, people easily forget that tens of people were roasted alive in the train, but only the aftermath is spoken intensely. Modi's only plus point is he is a bachelor. If he has not been one, things would have been different. Thankfully, he has not followed AB Vajpayee.

It is not correct to say that Gujarat depends only on textile mills. In fact the century old textile industry in Ahmedabad has perished and now textile industry is concentrated in Surat. Gujarat is a major producer of plastic products (Nandesari (Baroda), Panoli (Ankleshwar), ceramic tiles and electronic clock (Morbi), heavy machinery (Vithal Udyognagar, Anand), dyes and chemicals (Vatva, Ahmedabad) etc. I have also come across a number of small scale units which supply machine parts to various state transport undertakings including the ones in Tamil Nadu. Gujarat is the only state supplying diamonds to Indians. Gujarat will also emerge as an automobile hub (Sanand, Ahmedabad)

I agree that unless people are enterprising such achievements are not possible. But governments have to provide enabling environment. Look at Coimbatore which has grown due to the sheer grit of the people. Had they received government support in their endeavours Coimbatore would have been a shining example.

I agree that unless people are enterprising this cannot be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back