• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mystery of Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sudeshwer

There is an Exhibitionin London's Wellcom Collection' from 29th March 2012 till June 17, 2012 on human brain. There is a newsitem on 29th March 2012 Issue of Times of India. In that newsitem it is mentioned that 'the brain has fascinated and baffled scientists for centuries ever since medieval christian and islamic scholars recognized it as the repository of thought and memory. Since I believe India, if I may say Hindus, is much older than christian and islam, we must have some knowledge in our vedas, scriptures etc about human brain. I wish to start a debate through your media and learn and share knowledge about human brain through our vedas, scriptures etc. I may not be coining proper words but I hope TamilBrahmins friends understand my real purpose. Thanks

Medical science mainly views the gross brain and its functions where else in religion the emphasis is more on the inner instrument(Antakarana) which consists of Manas(Mind),Buddhi(Intellect),Chitta(Repository of memories) and Ahankara(I am the Doer feeling)

Religion also deals with the Sukshama Sharira(Subtle Body) and its Subtle "Central Nervous System" with consists of various Nadis,Chakras etc which is a very detail topic.

Even medically the brain and the Central Nervous system is a very vast topic covering anatomy,physiology and its biochemistry.

The Antakarana which I mentioned earlier is not 4 separate units but for description purposes it has 4 functions even though its actually one unit.

Its like how a man can function as a son to his parents,father to his son,a husband to his wife an employee to his employer.

May be you can start by posting your questions.

thanks Renukaji, well analysed response rather scientific. but what I want to now is in which veda, in which part, scriptures, Sri Bhagwat Geta etc, the human brain is analysed. I am sure we the Hindus are older than christian and islam. you see I meet scholars from various religion and hold discussion very healthyly and friendly. I am not able to place anything in this regard. I am dusting out my treasures but in vain; hence, this chain of discussion through this great media

thanks Renukaji, well analysed response rather scientific. but what I want to now is in which veda, in which part, scriptures, Sri Bhagwat Geta etc, the human brain is analysed. I am sure we the Hindus are older than christian and islam. you see I meet scholars from various religion and hold discussion very healthyly and friendly. I am not able to place anything in this regard. I am dusting out my treasures but in vain; hence, this chain of discussion through this great media

dear sudeshwarJi,

What I know about the brain and its function is becos of my job as a doctor.
Regarding the function of human brain in Vedas I have not read much but just read works of Swamijis who do elaborate lots on this.I feel Swami Vivekananda has written about this in his works as I remember that Swami even attended medical lectures about the function of the human brain.

Even Swami Yogananda has mapped out about transmission of signals from the mind to body via Pranamaya Kosha.

But basically where do you want to start?

TattvaBodha of Adi Shankara gives a run down how each gross element in different proportions and its Sattva,Rajas and Tamas aspect contribute to the formation of the gross and subtle body and also the Antahkarana.

The book is not with me now.I will look it up for you tomorrow.

Great Renuka Ji. I have gone through Tony Nader. it is a great piece. I highly appreciate that pice as well as efforts you took to make it available to me. I am leaving Delhi(where I stay for the last 50 years) for California for about 7/8 months stay. but I will be in touch with Tamilbrahmin forum and I am sure we exchange views on many topics. once again thank you very much

Dear Doctor,

You may be aware that this fascinating subject has attracted many eminent neuroscientists. One among them is Dr. Vilayanur S.Ramachandran (விளையனூர் சுப்ரமணியன் இராமச்சந்திரன்) the Director of the Center for Brain and Cognition in USA, who has done a lot of research in this subject and brought out good number of research papers and written books in the subject. His latest book "The Tell-Tale Brain" is now available in bookstores and online. "Dr VS Ramachandran's quest is a very Indian one. Who are we? What makes us special? These are questions that Indian philosophers have been grappling with down the ages" claims a review of the book. Excerpts of the discussions with the Author by R.Rajesh Kumar is available in the following URL:
http://www.sify.com/finance/Reachin...n-imagegallery-others-kmuqeNdbfdj.html?html=5
I have gone through transcripts of his lectures,"The Artful Brain", "The Emerging mind" and "That's what Reality is" which were too technical for me to understand fully.

Dr. V.S. Ramachandran has been named one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2011 by Time Magazine!

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
thank you Shri Brahmanyan. I just opened the lecture of Dr VS Ramachandan in google. it is amazing. since I am going to california end this month, I will look forward for his lecture and attend. thank you, once again Also I thank Shri KRS too. I will certainly try to read Tattvabodha by Adi Shankaracharyal. It is great Tamilbrahmin forum gives great platform for such great thoughts. thanks all
once again

Dear Doctor,

You may be aware that this fascinating subject has attracted many eminent neuroscientists. One among them is Dr. Vilayanur S.Ramachandran (விளையனூர் சுப்ரமணியன் இராமச்சந்திரன்) the Director of the Center for Brain and Cognition in USA, who has done a lot of research in this subject and brought out good number of research papers and written books in the subject. His latest book "The Tell-Tale Brain" is now available in bookstores and online. "Dr VS Ramachandran's quest is a very Indian one. Who are we? What makes us special? These are questions that Indian philosophers have been grappling with down the ages" claims a review of the book. Excerpts of the discussions with the Author by R.Rajesh Kumar is available in the following URL:
http://www.sify.com/finance/Reachin...n-imagegallery-others-kmuqeNdbfdj.html?html=5
I have gone through transcripts of his lectures,"The Artful Brain", "The Emerging mind" and "That's what Reality is" which were too technical for me to understand fully.

Dr. V.S. Ramachandran has been named one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2011 by Time Magazine!

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear sir,

Thank you for this link.
As a doctor I always had an empty feeling that medical science views the mind as a function of the brain and nothing more.
Somehow I feel the connection of the mind and brain is much more than what meets the eye.

This is one of my favorite topics mind and brain..thank you once again.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back