• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

My government has ended crony capitalism, corruption: Narendra Modi

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

The prime minister added that his aim is not to eliminate subsidies, but to rationalise and target them.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday that his government has ended crony capitalism and the era of high-level corruption in the country. Delivering the keynote address at the Economic Times Global Business Summit, Modi said that India suffers from an excess of old and unnecessary laws, which obstruct people and businesses. He added that if his government's policies are studied closely, "you will find that many are popular, but none are populist".

Read more at: http://scroll.in/latest/802714/my-government-has-ended-crony-capitalism-corruption-narendra-modi

This Govt has damaged indias growth by badly screwing up manufacturing , construction and rural agriculture.

In the name of properly directing subsidy MNREGA budgets have been cut leading to rural distress. Agriculture growth is less than 2%.

By starting black money witch hunts , housing construction is badly damaged with no takers for houses and half built flats.

By denying bank finance to private companies who badly need them and having extra regulations on bank lending , private sector industrialists are sitting on their plans

to set up any plant with wads of money looking for other avenues abroad. It is plain tamil brahmin tight fisted control of nationalised bank money combined with

gujerathi brain of removing the incentives [read subsidies for the rich] for business and removing tax holidays and changing bank debt rescheduling rules is taking the

corporate india downhill.

Add to this we have cooked up figures of GDP growth with change of base year to 2011 besides double counting growth where corporates have changed their profile ,

using market price of commmodities instead of production price a in earlier times has boosted GDP nos by 2to 3 %. Most economists agree that it is not more than 5%

as per old calculations

The way indian stock markets are giving signals , the truth cannot be hidden for long.

Our economic management is a disaster.

All sections of people are hurt. Poor, the middle class and the corporates.

We could do with a better finance minister who understands finance

Last edited:
I disagree with Krishji's post above.
I agree that bribe and corruption greases the smooth running of business, because it was made that way. In earlier times animal fat was used as grease, but we found alternatives. Similarly we can find alternatives to corruption.

An incident in India gave me an unexpected glimpse into what it feels like to live in a country where government officials openly ask for bribes. In July 2013, I was asked to pay an additional, unofficial 'fee' to register a will for the benefit of my son. When asked if it was usual to pay this 'fee', the man told me, with no hint of hesitation, that 'senior Government officials and even Army Generals pay the unofficial fee here'. My lawyer present there shrugged her shoulders and said this is how it works.
This is just a tiny glimpse of the rampant corruption in the country. For the average Indian, it has become entirely routine.
Citizen groups have now sprung up to combat something that successive governments and its 'civil service' have been unable to do.
'I Paid a Bribe' an innovative crowdsourced platform encourages citizens to report a bribe that they may have paid. It is an attempt to document everyday corruption and analyse its cost to the society. The analytics show that the 21,975 instances of reported corruption have cost Rs 57.3 crores (USD 9 million).
It is worth considering what this decay in the very foundation of the country's economy is costing India.
A Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) and Ernst & Young study 'Bribery and Corruption: Ground Reality in India' revealed in 2013 that between October 2011 and September 2012, corruption in India, including major scams (like the Commonwealth Games scandal) added up to a financial cost of Rs. 36,400 crores (USD 5.92 billion).
To put that in perspective, India's healthcare budget for the year 2012-2013 was 24,890 crores (USD 4.05 billion) or 68 percent of the amount lost to corruption.
Corruption is also costing India in numerous ways that are not immediately quantifiable. India's goal to transform itself into a market for foreign companies and attract investment is increasingly being challenged by corruption and red-tape.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/siddharth-chatterjee/corruptionan-epidemic-of-_b_5083293.html

I agree that this articles is from 2013. Things might have improved. I will not contest that point.
I was in India in November 2015, i was still asked for bribe openly in post office, train station, Airport etc.

The government has been successful in curbing big ticket corruption as prevailed earlier at the top yet there has been little change in the corruption index even after a year of its governance. The reason for this is that corruption exists in India not just at the top but is widespread throughout the country. The public faces this type of corruption frequently rather than the one at the top. It has grown steadily over the past several decades into a monster. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been concerned about this and a proof of this concern is headline news in the Times of India today – “Sack erring officials (translated) who don’t mend ways, PM tells Secys”

While the concern and pronouncement of the PM will have some impact, it would only be a little perhaps because greed is highly addictive and the hunger of a carnivore is not easily appeased once it has tasted blood, and what if some Secys share in the loot and in this sucking the blood of hapless citizens?

On the general level it is understood that corruption is to be tackled at four levels. First by improving the justice system that is inexorably slow in India, second by improving laws that are hugely complicated and voluminous and thirdly by improving policing and lastly by improving ethical standards in society. While all this would take time to take effect even if the sincerest attempts are made towards it, one wonders if there is a magic wand that could lead to a quick improvement. In the opinion of this author, there is one that can make a significant impact right away as follows,

One major impediment to tacking bribery In India is a law that holds both the bribe giver and bribe taker guilty of giving a bribe. While the intention behind the act is good it also is a major impediment to curb bribery. A bribe giver will not report from fear of prosecution even when the bribe has been extorted from him or her. While the solution cannot be making it legal for giving bribes, there is another easy modification as follows, a modification in law that says,

“Giving a bribe shall not be regarded as illegal provided the bribe giver reports the matter within three days of giving the bribe. Reports can be made on a simple one page form available at all post offices and submitted at the same post office. A receipt shall be provided. Alternatively complaints can be lodged online at the central website xxxx.com. Physical receipts shall be provided at the post office and online receipt numbers online.”

The Magic Wand:

Once such a system is in place and if anonymity of complainant is maintained at least until the matter comes to head, it will work like a magic wand to reduce corruption hugely. Just the fear of the process would deter many a potential bribe taker from the act. While presently the bribe takers relax and sleep peacefully after taking bribes, they shall get sleepless nights after this new act is implemented since it is in the interest of the bribe giver then to visit the post office for a simple report and acquire legal immunity plus a chance of return of his or her money in case the bribe taker is caught, prosecuted and fined.

http://steamcenter.blogspot.com/2016/01/tackling-corruption-in-india.html

I was in India in November 2015, i was still asked for bribe openly in post office, train station, Airport etc.

Prasad Sir,
Nobody has asked me bribe in these places..I can understand Transport department that issues licenses or a land registration department...Is it because you showed up as an NRI...For what services..I am astonished!

The prime minister added that his aim is not to eliminate subsidies, but to rationalise and target them.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday that his government has ended crony capitalism and the era of high-level corruption in the country. Delivering the keynote address at the Economic Times Global Business Summit, Modi said that India suffers from an excess of old and unnecessary laws, which obstruct people and businesses. He added that if his government's policies are studied closely, "you will find that many are popular, but none are populist".

Read more at: http://scroll.in/latest/802714/my-government-has-ended-crony-capitalism-corruption-narendra-modi
Appears like an election speech; No Govt. could end corruption.

To think of ending capitalism, Modi should distance / alienate him selves from corporate giants.

Prasad Sir,
Nobody has asked me bribe in these places..I can understand Transport department that issues licenses or a land registration department...Is it because you showed up as an NRI...For what services..I am astonished!

At the postoffice:
My Account had to be closed.
My signature did not match (after 50 years). My passport was not enough. I had spent 2 hours, and I had to leave that day. One of orderly came and told me to Rs 2000.00 will do the trick. I paid.

At the Train station:
My name conveniently was missing from the list posted. I had confirmed ticket with printed e-mail confirmation.
The TT wanted Rs 500.00. My sis-in-law protested and suddenly the problem was solved, when they saw her badge.

At the Airport:
On our departure date at the counter.
Suddenly our bags were overweight, we had it measured before starting. There was no overweight. The agent demanded $250.00, it was late night. We are old and tired.
We had to call out friend(he is a big shot in BJP) in Delhi, and he made few calls and everything was all right.

At the Kayakumari ferry service, the porter wanted Rs 100.00 to get us on the ferry by passing the line. I thanked him but declined.

Last edited:
At the postoffice:
My signature did not match (after 50 years). My passport was not enough. I had spent 2 hours, and I had to leave that day. One of orderly came and told me to Rs 2000.00 will do the trick. I paid.

Hopefully you complained to the authorities so that they can investigate if similar complaints are received. If you have not done so, even now it is not too late as only two months have elapsed.

A friend who is very close to Arun Jaitley (confidant), is building a house in Delhi exclusive area. He proudly told me that corruption has come down, he is only paying 30% in black.
Who do you report it to? LOL

Hopefully you complained to the authorities so that they can investigate if similar complaints are received. If you have not done so, even now it is not too late as only two months have elapsed.
I got my Rs 50,000- Rs 2000 (facilitation fee!!!)= Rs 48,000 and in 10 minutes (should i complain)? I do not have the time and I am not an activist. I am just posting my experience.

I know your post is sincere but do you know the actual practice of law in India.
One major impediment to tacking bribery In India is a law that holds both the bribe giver and bribe taker guilty of giving a bribe. While the intention behind the act is good it also is a major impediment to curb bribery. A bribe giver will not report from fear of prosecution even when the bribe has been extorted from him or her.
If you paid a bribe you are in danger of being prosecuted rather, than the bribe taker. Usually the bribe taker has more influence than bribe giver. Why would anybody report it?
If you post anonymously it is not accepted and investigated.
I am not a crusader, I visit India and I am visitor.

Last edited:
Prasadji
Thanks for your response.

I have nowhere talked of corruption in my post.

It exists in all countries . In some countries it is more.

This is also person specific {you are an NRI. so more would like to live off you.lol}

I only said more govt can only harm economy than increase ease of doing business.

Some sectors like housing, rural agriculture, industry are badly damaged by tight money policies of govt and cut down of subsidies.

This was the the point that I was making. Nothing more.

I got my Rs 50,000- Rs 2000 (facilitation fee!!!)= Rs 48,000 and in 10 minutes (should i complain)? I do not have the time and I am not an activist. I am just posting my experience.
I know your post is sincere but do you know the actual practice of law in India.
If you paid a bribe you are in danger of being prosecuted rather, than the bribe taker. Usually the bribe taker has more influence than bribe giver. Why would anybody report it?
If you post anonymously it is not accepted and investigated.
I am not a crusader, I visit India and I am visitor.

The bribe giver usually prepared to part with money only after a deliberation that too by compromising his mind that he is saving time and the target is done within a specified time.

In many cases,even if he wishes he could not make a complaint within the same office, as the act of bribery is being held with the knowledge /approval / share of the immediate higher/superior officials at the spot.

In case if we make a complaint, after giving complaint in writing we have to face a lot of things.......initially counselling us to withdraw complaint, then indirect threatening by explaining the repercussions and then direct threatening........all done at our premises by unknown intruders / visitors............we can't prove this in any forum besides our own family members get demoralised in the process and would start advising us.

The complainant / crusader against corruption, should have strong will power, support of his own family members, friends, preparedness to face any situation and spend money from the pocket for attending inquiries etc.

Besides all, complainant should have ample spare time to follow up the matter.

I experienced a lot. All ....from my personal experiences.

All could not become,literally... traffic Ramasami who has some back ground

Last edited:
What is the fate of those cases booked by the Department of Vigilance and Anti-corruption, more especially against politicians?

How many of them are convicted?

Some of them shine in politics only after more such convictions!

May be for few, it is an added advantage to have more conviction record in politics.

At the postoffice:

At the Train station:
My name conveniently was missing from the list posted. I had confirmed ticket with printed e-mail confirmation.
The TT wanted Rs 500.00. My sis-in-law protested and suddenly the problem was solved, when they saw her badge.

At the Airport:
On our departure date at the counter.
Suddenly our bags were overweight, we had it measured before starting. There was no overweight. The agent demanded $250.00, it was late night. We are old and tired.
We had to call out friend(he is a big shot in BJP) in Delhi, and he made few calls and everything was all right.

At the Kayakumari ferry service, the porter wanted Rs 100.00 to get us on the ferry by passing the line. I thanked him but declined.

Thanks for sharing the pain!

Normally I do not show any hurry-burry while dealing with Government..If they ask me to come next day I present myself next day at the agreed time...Normally after 2-3 visits the issue is resolved..I guess as you were in a hurry the other side understood it & demanded bribe..Smart guys!!

T
Normally I do not show any hurry-burry while dealing with Government..If they ask me to come next day I present myself next day at the agreed time...Normally after 2-3 visits the issue is resolved..I guess as you were in a hurry the other side understood it & demanded bribe..Smart guys!!

What you express itself is corruption. But I guess people in India have accepted that and are conditioned for that kind of bribe. Time is money.
Secondly vganeji (people like you) are part of the problem, because instead of condemning such actions you are praising the perpetrators. (Smart Guys). I am sorry.

What you express itself is corruption. But I guess people in India have accepted that and are conditioned for that kind of bribe. Time is money.
Secondly vganeji (people like you) are part of the problem, because instead of condemning such actions you are praising the perpetrators. (Smart Guys). I am sorry.

Prasadji, These cheaters spot a weakness & identify their target on the dot! They are able to identify a vulnerable person in a queue & start the negotiations..Is this not smart...I am not praising them...Feel sorry that you have fallen into their trap....

The attitude of people in India, is to accept corruption. If that is the case let it be regularized and call it a fee. The problem of bribe will disappear.
This irregular knowledge (how and when to give bribe) will be evened out and everybody will get EQUAL treatment. At least it will be just, instead of being cheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back