• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

My country - India, Bharat or Hindustan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

riolbMijehbba.jpg

15th August 2017: India’s 70th Independence Day. A day for remembering the freedom fighters and the martyrs. A day when patriotism runs high and promises are made to die for the country.

Yet, as cynics would say, Independence Day is now just one more day of celebration instead of being a day of reflection. People wear clothes in the colours of the flag, retail stores announce sales, restaurants have special menus and most of us enjoy a mid-week holiday. Entertainment channels run programs about India’s freedom struggle. Radio channels air patriotic songs and schools and colleges organize functions. But beyond the superficial expression of patriotism, are we really as patriotic as we profess to be? Do we really care for our nation?

I was forced to address this question when I heard my child prepare for his school’s Independence Day celebrations. He was rehearsing a song - a popular ‘desh bhakti’ song with the lyrics - ”Chodo kal ki batein, kal ki baat purani, naye dor mein likhenge, mil kar nayi kahani…hum Hindustani…hum Hindustani”. A few lines later is the couplet “Ram ki is dharti ko, Gautam ki bhoomi ko, sapno se bhi pyaara Hindustan banaye…”

The land which was originally called Hindustan lay east of the river Indus – comprising modern day Pakistan and northwest India. In fact, even the Mughal rulers called their Indian dominion ‘Hindustan’. Hindustan was in use synonymously with India during the British Raj and the dialect spoken in the northern parts of the country (a mix of Hindi and Urdu) was called Hindustani. Thus, there was no disconnect between India, Bharat or Hindustan. The people who belonged to this country were called Indians, Bharatiya, Hindustani – it was just a matter of nomenclature and ease of usage.

However decades of pseudo-secularism and a dedicated effort to run down our own past has led to distortion of the name “Hindustan”. Attempts have been made with regular frequency to project India – a country with one of the best track records of acceptance - as a religious bigoted nation. There is national outrage – not over the rape of a 5 year old child or the death of soldiers fighting a proxy war or the all pervasive corruption – but there is outrage over ‘perceived intolerance’ when the country is referred to as Hindustan. Being called a Hindustani is seen as an affront to the personal freedom, a threat to the secular fabric of the country and a cry for denouncing all other religions.

[FONT=calibrifont, calibri, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]......................................................[/FONT]
Like other years, this Independence Day and its associated celebrations will end. But will we use this opportunity to finally grow up, become mature citizens who worry about larger issues facing our country? Or will we continue to squabble over non-issues thus wasting precious collective time, resources and energies for pseudo-intellectual debates over semantics? If we chose the latter, then I am afraid, we have regressed from where we were in the 1960s. In such a case, celebrating Independence Day has no meaning as we haven’t even understood what patriotism is all about.

Read more at: http://www.sify.com/news/my-country-india-bharat-or-hindustan-news-columns-rioldNabfhdgd.html

Last edited:
View attachment 6276

15th August 2017: India’s 70th Independence Day. A day for remembering the freedom fighters and the martyrs. A day when patriotism runs high and promises are made to die for the country.

Yet, as cynics would say, Independence Day is now just one more day of celebration instead of being a day of reflection. People wear clothes in the colours of the flag, retail stores announce sales, restaurants have special menus and most of us enjoy a mid-week holiday. Entertainment channels run programs about India’s freedom struggle. Radio channels air patriotic songs and schools and colleges organize functions. But beyond the superficial expression of patriotism, are we really as patriotic as we profess to be? Do we really care for our nation?

I was forced to address this question when I heard my child prepare for his school’s Independence Day celebrations. He was rehearsing a song - a popular ‘desh bhakti’ song with the lyrics - ”Chodo kal ki batein, kal ki baat purani, naye dor mein likhenge, mil kar nayi kahani…hum Hindustani…hum Hindustani”. A few lines later is the couplet “Ram ki is dharti ko, Gautam ki bhoomi ko, sapno se bhi pyaara Hindustan banaye…”

The land which was originally called Hindustan lay east of the river Indus – comprising modern day Pakistan and northwest India. In fact, even the Mughal rulers called their Indian dominion ‘Hindustan’. Hindustan was in use synonymously with India during the British Raj and the dialect spoken in the northern parts of the country (a mix of Hindi and Urdu) was called Hindustani. Thus, there was no disconnect between India, Bharat or Hindustan. The people who belonged to this country were called Indians, Bharatiya, Hindustani – it was just a matter of nomenclature and ease of usage.

However decades of pseudo-secularism and a dedicated effort to run down our own past has led to distortion of the name “Hindustan”. Attempts have been made with regular frequency to project India – a country with one of the best track records of acceptance - as a religious bigoted nation. There is national outrage – not over the rape of a 5 year old child or the death of soldiers fighting a proxy war or the all pervasive corruption – but there is outrage over ‘perceived intolerance’ when the country is referred to as Hindustan. Being called a Hindustani is seen as an affront to the personal freedom, a threat to the secular fabric of the country and a cry for denouncing all other religions.

Like other years, this Independence Day and its associated celebrations will end. But will we use this opportunity to finally grow up, become mature citizens who worry about larger issues facing our country? Or will we continue to squabble over non-issues thus wasting precious collective time, resources and energies for pseudo-intellectual debates over semantics? If we chose the latter, then I am afraid, we have regressed from where we were in the 1960s. In such a case, celebrating Independence Day has no meaning as we haven’t even understood what patriotism is all about.

Read more at: http://www.sify.com/news/my-country-india-bharat-or-hindustan-news-columns-rioldNabfhdgd.html

hi

idhuvum kadanthu pogum....71st goes....72 will come...

I also agree with the OP. Many of us have now forgot the real meaning of Patriotism. Some one sees saying Vandemataram as sign of Patriotism where some one feels it is against the Secular values of the country. Secularism means equal opportunities to every faith, how does then it makes offensive if some one practice or display his faith as Hidu? Every act if it is remotely connected with Hinduism is portrayed as non secular for gains in vote bank politics. And people who proclaimed themselves as Godfathers of Hindu upliftment are also not far behind. They also see a Hindu bashing in each and everything others are doing giving them ample oppertunities to come in to lime light. I think every action don't deserved to be responded and many of them could be dealt better by way of ignoring them. Because ignoring kills its news value and prevents it from spreading any further.

India, Bharat or Hindustan are all the same, they denote a geographical entity named at different times. The present day India is integrated by Sardar Patel after independence. Before that there were 565 States ruled by Maharajas. These States are not called India, Bharat or Hindustan.
It is my view that Patriotism does not depend on exhibiting a song or symbol, it should come naturally by guarding our cultural values.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore

A little too high a philosophy for me. LOL
I have my biases, I have not reached Samadarshan yet.:noidea:

there is no high philosophy in samadarshan sir. that is a figment of one's own imagination.

you already are in a samadarshan state. you are just not aware of it.

It is my view that Patriotism does not depend on exhibiting a song or symbol, it should come naturally by guarding our cultural values.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore

Well said Sir,

I remember this poem of Sir Walter Scott explaining about Patriotism which I learnt when I was doing 6th or 7th standard....

[h=3]PATRIOTISM by Sir Walter Scott and its detail meaning[/h]

BREATHES there the man with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
'This is my own, my native land!'
Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd
As home his footsteps he hath turn'd
From wandering on a foreign strand?
If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
High though his titles, proud his name,
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self,
Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
And, doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust from whence he sprung,
Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung.

Breathes there the man with soul so dead
There is a man who is physically alive as he is breathing but emotionally he is dead because his soul is dead. Writer wrote so dead to emphasize that it is a miserable death.

Who never to himself hath said
"This is my own, my native land"
In this line poet is describing what kind of person is emotionally dead. To him a person with dead soul is the one who has never told himself that his motherland is his own, native land. Hath simply means have.
Whose heart hath never within him burned?
By this phrase poet means that who is that person who has no heart? Who is the person whose heart is burned or destroyed within him?

As home his footsteps he hath turned
From wandering on a foreign strand!
These two lines are the answer to previous question that poet poses. According to him if a person does not return to his native land and is lost within the e…. environment of foreign country, the person lacks a heart.
If such there breathe, go mark him well
If you find such person who has no love for his motherland you can blame him.
For him no minstrel raptures swell
The meaning of minstrel is a traditional singer who wanders from place to place singing song that are emotionally very touchy for his living. Raptures mean s extreme joy and happiness whereas swell means to increase in volume or quantity. By this line poet means that no any minstrel is going to sing a song for him and about him. No any minstrel will increase his happiness.

High though his title, proud his name
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim
Here poet means that even though a person is extremely rich, has a great fame, and is proud of his name…….
Despite those titles, power and pelf,
The wretch concentrated all in self
Despite of all his wealth, prestige and power he is a miserable person because a person who is concentrated about only himself (a selfish person) is a poor person despite the enormous wealth.
Living, shall forfeit fair renown
He is alive but should penalize all his fame.
And doubly dying shall go down
Here by doubly dying poet means that such an unpatriotic person dies twice. Once he dies due to his physical death, when his breathing is stopped. Next, he is not remembered by anyone after his death. So along with his death, he also dies from the memory of people.
To the vile dust from where he sprung.
His dead body turns into an ash and it mix with the dirt within the ground from where he learnt to crawl.
Unwept, unhonored and unsung.

No one drops tear in his death, and no one honors him at the time of funeral and no one is there to tell the funeral prayer.

Source: Poemmeaning.blogspot.in

While discussing the subject of patriotism the following verse from Valmiki Ramayana comes to my mind.
Janani Janma Bhoomischa
Swargadapi Gariyasi

These are the words of Sage Bharadwaja to Sri Rama, when he returned from Sri Lanka and met him on the way to Ayothya.

मित्राणि धन धान्यानि प्रजानां सम्मतानिव |
जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी || ६-१२४-१७

mitraaNi dhana dhaanyaani prajaanaaM sammataaniva |
jananii janma bhuumishcha svargaadapi gariiyasii || 6-124-17

"The friends, the riches and the grains are highly honoured in this world.
Mother and mother-land are far superior to even the heaven."

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
While discussing the subject of patriotism the following verse from Valmiki Ramayana comes to my mind.
Janani Janma Bhoomischa
Swargadapi Gariyasi

These are the words of Sage Bharadwaja to Sri Rama, when he returned from Sri Lanka and met him on the way to Ayothya.

मित्राणि धन धान्यानि प्रजानां सम्मतानिव |
जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी || ६-१२४-१७

mitraaNi dhana dhaanyaani prajaanaaM sammataaniva |
jananii janma bhuumishcha svargaadapi gariiyasii || 6-124-17

"The friends, the riches and the grains are highly honoured in this world.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hi

i heard different sloka....like this..

api swarnamyi lanka na me lakshmana rochate.....janani janma bhoomiccha swargad api gariyasi....

means...lord rama said to lakshmana....even though the lanka is golden..i dont like...my mother and motherland

are greater than heaven...

hi

i heard different sloka....like this..

api swarnamyi lanka na me lakshmana rochate.....janani janma bhoomiccha swargad api gariyasi....

means...lord rama said to lakshmana....even though the lanka is golden..i dont like...my mother and motherland

are greater than heaven...

Yes Sri tbs,

The version quoted by you as under is said to be the words of Sri Rama to Lakshmana in Sri Lanka, but not found in the editions of Valmiki Ramayana.
अपि स्वर्णमयी लङ्का न मे लक्ष्मण रोचते।
जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी॥

api svarṇamayī laṅkā na me lakṣmaṇa rocate |
jananī janmabhūmiśca svargādapi garīyasī ||

Even Lanka, decked with all it’s gold doesn't endear itself to me;

Janani Janma Bhumischcha Swargaadapi gariyasi. These famous words are quoted by many to impress the importance of one's Mother and Motherland.This is one of the oft quoted verse from Srimath Ramayanam. Some say it is the words of Vibhishana to Sri Rama. I searched for the origin in Valmiki Ramayana in many editions, but to my surprise could not find this verse. How ever I could find this sloka in "Valmiki Ramayana - Yuddha Kanda" in the edition published by Hindi Prachara Press, Madras. These are the words of Sage Bharadwaja to Sri Rama, when he returned from Sri Lanka and met him on the way to Ayothya.
During its long journey Valmiki Ramayana must have faced interpolation many times, since the epic has transferred orally by many generations.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

The terms motherland and fatherland both refer to one’s native country, one’s country of origin, or the home of one’s ancestors. Whether a particular group uses motherland or fatherland tends to be a matter of custom. It’s unusual for a group to use both. Noah Webster’s The American Dictionary of the English Language, from 1847, referred to motherland as “the home of one’s mother’s ancestors” and fatherland as “the home of one’s father’s ancestors.” These days, though, we tend not to strictly adhere to those definitions.Motherland

The people of some countries have historically personified their country as feminine. To them, their home country is the motherland. For example, the personification of Russia is Mother Russia. During the movement for Indian independence of the late 1800s, the concept of Bharat Mata (or Mother India) emerged.
It’s not really clear which culture was the first to refer to their home as the motherland. Ancient cultures often personified land as female. Some mythologies describe a Mother Earth who gave birth to the plants and animals of the planet. The English word first appeared around 1705.
Fatherland

Some cultures personify their lands as masculine. The German national anthem has a line that translates as “Unity and justice and freedom for the German fatherland!” The Netherlands, as well as the Scandinavian countries, use similar terms. People of the Slavic and Baltic nations also tend to refer to their homeland as the fatherland.
In some languages, the Latin words pater, for father, and patria, for fatherland, have resulted in words that relate to these concepts. A patriot is someone who loves their country (in Latin, it’s a fellow countryman). In modern English, a patrician is an aristocrat. In ancient times, a patrician was a member of one of the 100 founding families of Rome who had a special seat in the Senate.

http://blog.dictionary.com/motherland-vs-fatherland/

Given that India is a paternalistic country they should have adopted "fatherland" over "Motherland".

In the Ramayana and Mahabharata, the so called "bad" people were from Kaikesh which is Kazakistan so Bharat's motherland would be Kazakistan, and Kauravas mother land Gandhara which is Afganistan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back