• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

more than a thousand words..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

some pictures, they speak more than a thousand words. here are a couple of pix of shobhana,...they sent me soaring into the heavens..

shobhana 1.jpg

shobhana2.jpg

what is it there is in certain bhaavams and abhinayams of certain god's gift to humans in the form of gorgeous females...almost takes one to new highs :)

God Bless Shobhana!!

Shobhana's aunts are the famous late Travancore sisters i think, and one or both her parents used to live in Malaysia for sometime.

Kunjuppu,

While emotions and their effect on individuals are common to all, the expression of them differs. When a well trained, well endowed, intelligent female artist expresses these emotions/bhavas through the Abhinayams and mudras it becomes a beautiful artistic dialogue between two individuals-one the artist and the other the well informed viewer in the audience. It is nice to know that you are a well informed viewer in the audience. Have a nice time.

Cheers.

some pictures, they speak more than a thousand words. here are a couple of pix of shobhana,...they sent me soaring into the heavens..

View attachment 1434

View attachment 1435

what is it there is in certain bhaavams and abhinayams of certain god's gift to humans in the form of gorgeous females...almost takes one to new highs :)

God Bless Shobhana!!

Dear K,

I agree Shobhana is a very beautiful and highly talented danceuse. And, unlike many Bharathanatyam danceuses, she remains slim without getting the "barrel" look.

But the photos from here are all still photos taken after much trial and efforts; these are not just 'snaps' from any dance performance; I doubt whether Shobhana will be able to give such lucid abhinaya poses in actual dancing. (Note the free end of the saree having been pinned to the wall hanging, in both the images given by you.)

I am yet to see another dancer who can reveal so much in a saree!

Naturally she may never become a barrel - if she is jumping around like this everyday of her life!

In fact her second pose reminds me of the dance competition between Siva and Kaali in which Siva had to resort to extreme poses (oordhva thaandavam) in order to defeat Kaali and put an end to her ego.

That could happen because in spite of being a Goddess, Kaali felt that such a pose will not befit her feminine form.

But I will not bet on that ground on Sobhana.

There is a new actress by the name Rukmini Vijayakumar who is both a Bharata Nathyam dancer and a ballerina.
She has acted in Ananda Thandavam and also Bommalattam.
I like her physique its more like a ballerina..well defined,sculpt muscles yet feminine.
I dont know much about dance so I leave it to the experts to comment here on Rukmini Vijaykumar.

Rukmini Vijayakumar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes Shobana is slim as she doesn't have a child and is probably dancing/teaching everyday. I've noticed that once a dancer or even an athlete stops their strenuous physical activity, they tend to put on weight quickly!

One of my personal favourite dancer is Ramli Ibrahim of Malaysia. He is a highly accomplished bharatanatyam and odissi performer. His biggest achievement for me is that he almost single handedly brought recognition to Odissi in South-east asia and Australia.

It was never easy for a Malay Muslim male that too in a Muslim country like Malaysia to be so deeply involved in what was thought to be "Hindu" dance/culture. Many a time he must have been plagued by the local authorities for apostacy. But being the determined man that he is and natya being his passion he has not only performed all over but trained many many Malaysians regardless of race and gender in both Bharatnatyam and his own favourite Odissi.

Sutra Foundation » The Heart of Sutra

Kunjuppu,

While emotions and their effect on individuals are common to all, the expression of them differs. When a well trained, well endowed, intelligent female artist expresses these emotions/bhavas through the Abhinayams and mudras it becomes a beautiful artistic dialogue between two individuals-one the artist and the other the well informed viewer in the audience. It is nice to know that you are a well informed viewer in the audience. Have a nice time.

Cheers.

dear suraju,

can we please skip the 'well informed' part of the viewer in me. i know absolutely nothing of bharatanatyam, inspite of having a top notch brand name as my relative. appreciation of the arts, has skipped me by ... but then, i hope when i see a thing of beauty, i can appreciate it.

the still pictures of shobhana took my breath away. they are so sensuous, shorn as they are of the b'natyam paraphernalia, and left only with the charms of feminine grace. classically erotic, i would say.

dear sangom, it could be the pictures have been posed. i suspect maybe 1000 pix were taken, to find this perfect one. whateve it may be, it does not reduce the beauty of the pix and the immense joy it provides to an average uninformed viewer like me.

like they say, a thing of beauty, is a joy forever :)

I am yet to see another dancer who can reveal so much in a saree!

Naturally she may never become a barrel - if she is jumping around like this everyday of her life!

In fact her second pose reminds me of the dance competition between Siva and Kaali in which Siva had to resort to extreme poses (oordhva thaandavam) in order to defeat Kaali and put an end to her ego.

That could happen because in spite of being a Goddess, Kaali felt that such a pose will not befit her feminine form.

But I will not bet on that ground on Sobhana.

dear visa,

no shobhana did not marry nor have children, and now in her mid 40s. but has adopted a baby girl. good for her :)

actually, i had this image of you doing your deeds in vishakapatnam, when i saw this...

[video=youtube;CDffED_PShc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDffED_PShc[/video]

greetings to all ,(after long time i meet you all i am very happy .) snaps make every one speech less.its wonderful .

narayani,

Where were you all these times? we missed you. please come regularly and give us the benefit of your thoughts and deeds.. :)

dear suraju,

can we please skip the 'well informed' part of the viewer in me. i know absolutely nothing of bharatanatyam, inspite of having a top notch brand name as my relative. appreciation of the arts, has skipped me by ... but then, i hope when i see a thing of beauty, i can appreciate it.

the still pictures of shobhana took my breath away. they are so sensuous, shorn as they are of the b'natyam paraphernalia, and left only with the charms of feminine grace. classically erotic, i would say.

dear sangom, it could be the pictures have been posed. i suspect maybe 1000 pix were taken, to find this perfect one. whateve it may be, it does not reduce the beauty of the pix and the immense joy it provides to an average uninformed viewer like me.

like they say, a thing of beauty, is a joy forever :)

Dear K,

It could even be that the artist is lying on a cot or on floor in which case, all credit should go instead to the photographer, etc. But I agree that the final results are beautiful.

Dear Mr. kunjuppu!

Thank you for relating me with good things and good memories in life. :)

I like the dance but I would have refrained from

1. wearing black dress for a dance recital,

2 . and dance in front of dark black backdrop

3. have 2 Krishna on the stage at the same time

4. and at two different stages too!

5. My Krishna will be the centre of attraction and will never be made to

stand at the back of the stage behind larger persons.
Anyway thank for the good thoughts. :pray2:

with warm regards,
Visalakshi

dear visa,

no shobhana did not marry nor have children, and now in her mid 40s. but has adopted a baby girl. good for her :)

actually, i had this image of you doing your deeds in vishakapatnam, when i saw this...

[video=youtube;CDffED_PShc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDffED_PShc[/video]

Last edited:
Dear Mr. kunjuppu!

Thank you for relating me with good things and good memories in life. :)

I like the dance but I would have refrained from

1. wearing black dress for a dance recital,

2 . and dance in front of dark black backdrop

3. have 2 Krishna on the stage at the same time

4. and at two different stages too!

Anyway thank for the good thoughts. :pray2:

with warm regards,
Visalakshi

oh visa, you go into too much detail. mine was just a warm fuzzy feelings, imagining you herding a bunch of girls and doing similar
performances.

personally, i thought it was unusal to have 2 krishnas, and then expected a third, grown up one. but was disappointed. maybe it
was too risque for that crowd? :)

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,
Yes truly said. We have to give proper thought for every single detail...
dress, colour scheme, music, pacca vaadhyam, the mood of the children and their PARENTS also :)
Just like directing a movie!!! :director:

Dear K,

It could even be that the artist is lying on a cot or on floor in which case, all credit should go instead to the photographer, etc. But I agree that the final results are beautiful.

Dear Mr. sangom.

You are absolutely right. :clap2:

The second pose struck by Shobana is of unstable equilibrium - even if only for a split second. And if the saree is pinned, it all the more likely in a case where there in no movement! Otherwise it might hamper her movement or she may jump too high and tear her saree.

I remember reading an incident. The photographer wanted the model to dance and swirl so that her skirt bellows it. Bur the effect was not to his satisfaction. So he made her lie down and spread out the shirt to get as much flare as he wanted to get.

From the photo no one could find out that the modal was in fact lying down horizontally and was not dancing vertically - as thought by the onlookers :)

Another point is when people jump up, the dress will not cling to their body but bellow out!

See the photos of the dancers doing vertical jumps in page 2 of this thread.

But Shobana's thighs show out so very clearly as if sculptured-
may be beacause she WAS lying down and the dress clung to her body creating this 3-D effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back