• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Moolnakshtra dosham and Pariharam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sravna, Prasad and Ravi,

This is what a learned friend told me about astrology:

The kundali or Jaatakam is just the label with which an able astrologer fixes his coordinates to start with. Then he travels in time back and forth using his skills. This skill is acquired by him through any of these three means: 1. the ability gained by innate intelligence augmented with knowledge gained from a good teacher by rigorous training 2. his upaasana of a particular deity through which route he attains a siddhi or 3.An ability which he gains suddenly because of an accident or by divine grace. There is a difference between prophesying/soothsaying and predictive astrology. With prophets/soothsayers, if they are not fakes, the results predicted are 100% correct. With astrologers this is not the case. All your calculations are like the advanced design work(which is a lot of arithmatics and aerodynamics) that went into the making of a hovercraft. When the first hovercraft was put to test it wobbled, went out of control, crashed and sank in the water. Every one watching it were sad but for the designer. He laughed. He had his prediction proved. Now he knew what he had to do to make it float above the water on a cushion of air. Your astrologer's prediction may come true or may go wrong-the chances are 50-50 because most of the astrologers think and believe strongly that astrology is just a lot of maths. Rarely do you come across an astrologer who combines maths with siddhi. Prediction by such astrologers come true 100% every time you go to them. But they are a very rare breed and they live quietly.

Dear Prasad,

Just because you cannot make a direct connection between life events and the planetary influences, doesn't make astrology mumbo jumbo. It may say that we need to learn more about nature and how it influences us. Let us at least keep an open mind and respect the intelligence of all those who contributed to this field.

Indian approach is different from American approach. Ours is more towards the intuitive side and it is more about what feels right. Theirs is more on the analytical side and is about what is proven to be right. The connections in an intuition can always be established but it is difficult to get a good intuition.

Ok we will have our differences.

My point is that please seek professional help before believing in all this mumbo jumbo.

A child was failing and doing very poorly in school. The parents consulted a reputable astrologer, he diagnosed the problem and suggested a Pariharam. The mother did all that, but father took a insurance and had the child evaluated by a child psychiatrist. It was found that the child suffered from a chemical imbalance.
He was prescribed medication, and is doing much better.

Both the parents are happy. The mumbo jumbo did not hurt, and the medicine worked. Or vice-versa.

In an identical situation (American parents) they only went to psychiatrist, and same diagnosis, same treatment, same result.

Now tell me that Astrology alone would have worked.

"Although one of the main reasons people belief in astrology is that they think it works, and can be used to make valid predictions, personality assessment, career choices and for compatibility, evidence does not seem to support this. There are also a number of psychological and social reasons that can explain why people belief in astrology and why this belief is maintained. Some of the most potent of these human judgment biases are the Barnum effect, or how people accept vague statements as being specific for them, how people try to avoid cognitive dissonance and the illusory correlation effect, seeing correlations where none exist."

The Accuracy of Astrology

Horoscope is supposed to be based on time of Birth. Can you truly say the time one is born with accuracy to the second, and is it the appearance of head or when the child cries? What is the time of birth of a child born to c-section?

The zodiac signs are superimposition of a 2-dimensional Euclidean space on a 4-dimensional world. It is like a stick figure drawing to show the beauty of Aiswarya rai Bachan. The planets movement is a relative movement seen from a moving earth, moving solar system, ever expanding galaxy, and unknown universe. The stars we see emitted this light millions of years ago and may have died by now. Then you accurately measure to seconds and show a lot of calculation for the gullible to accept the "science".

I will concede that it is my opinion, and I know I have been wrong before LOL.

Show me a scientific proof. Prove that 2 astrologer working independently in two separate location will come back with same diagnosis and predictions.

Also show me that 90% chance that a prediction will come true. Prove to me that "pariharam" worked 100%.

Sri Prasad,

Both of them became true in my and my relative's case. But, we didnt pay much attention and had some bitter experiences. Infact, my 'excellent' math teacher gave very precise predictions (6 years before the events). One astrologer predicted about a major career change, which happened as said on the predicted month/year. I think, most unique/major/obvious events can be predicted by astrology, IMO. And, all astrologers should pretty much have the same calculations. If not, it may be that some astrologers, these days dont not have the skill/grace.

Plus, Astrologers just give the predictions and ParihArams based on the planetary positions. You are right about the parihArams, it is not effective most times. Predictions and some direct ParihArams (like doing Rahu kAla Puja or breaking 100 coconuts) alone are not going to take care of 'ALL' the problems. Like 'LAW' is backed by its science/analysis called 'Jurisprudence', Astrology should be backed by 'Problem Solving in the long run', was my point.

Rather, the ParihAram should also involve more psychology, regarding the person's personality, behaviours etc. Thus, the current Astrologers are more like dry statisticians, but should become Problem Analysts to be more successful, was my point. Else, after Astrology and basic steps, people should resort to other specialties - Spiritual Gurus and health professionals.

Even the Psychologists, doctors, teachers, parents these days address only the problems/symptoms, rather than fixing the root-cause/influences of the problems. More indepth knowledge, analytical ability, awareness, dedication are lacking in every professional.

By the way snakes do not have ears, they can not hear the music played by charmers. Moreover the charmers are snake handlers at best, but they defang the snake and in the process kill the snake. PETA is against this practice.

I think, you wrongly associate astrologers with snake charmers/tantrics/mantra-vAdhis etc. Even , the later kind is helpful in removing toxins from the body in case of animal bites thru. mantra+herb combo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back