• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
When talking about death,I remember reading an article in TOI some years ago,wherein the writer says

'Death with exceptions,is not accompanied by physical pain.Rather,it is suffused with serenity,even a certain well-being and spritual exaltation,caused by the anaesthetic action of carbon dioxide on the central nervous system.Science reveals that the sensation of dying is like that of falling asleep.And if a person accepts his death as an act of service to an ideal,or, as the end of his life's work,it could be accepted more willingly if we knew that we had fulfilled our duty in life"

The above statement of the author gives definitely some sort of mental comfort,strength and consolation to face the inevitable whenever it occurs.

S.Sridharan

Remembering Past Birth

Respected Madam :

Suggest if you can please Osho Rajneesh's works you can get some answers regarding this, where in he very exhaustively talks about different layers of consciousness and how our soul has traversed various births from creatures to animals before attaining human birth.

Anbudan

Sri Kunjuppu’s post no.26 prompted me to write this. My maternal grandmother used to repeat in her daily prayers the following.

அநாயேஸேன மரணம்
வினா தைன்யேன ஜீவனம் தேஹிமே க்ருபயா கிருஷ்ணா....... ("Anayaasena maranam,Vinaa dhayinyena Jeevanam Dhehime Kripayaa krishnaa ……….)

And also.. ஹர சங்கரர் சிவ சங்கரர் துரிதம் கள சிவனே சிவ பாதததோடணவானொரு வழி தேடுக மனமே “ Hara Shankara Shivsankara Duritham kala Shivane Shiva paadhathodanavaan vazhi theduka maname..”

( a Malayalam recital meaning praying Shiva to remove sufferings and asking mind to search way to reach Siva’s feet.)
She got such a blessing. Just after coming from toilet she placed her head on the lap of one of her granddaughters, and breathed last peacefully.

My mother attained Lord’s feet in sleep. Without any illness. She took a glass of water from my sister-in-law at about 3.00 a.m after going to toilet and slept. Morning she did not respond to wake up call at 6.00.It was God’s blessings that I visited her alongwith my family totally unplanned a day before, after a gap of six months, while my ther siblings were to reach there on a planned visit a few days later.

Similar for my grandfather, who asked for a glass of Kanjifrom me (I was 15 then)took it, and fell back in his bed to reach the Lord. I could be present at the bed when my father expired, and my paternal uncle expired, because they had indirectly hinted about the time in their casual talks with me and some relatives in separate occasions.
Mentally recording this,and recalling it when slightest indications came, I reached near them in time, eventhough I was thousands of miles away.I consider it blessing (Praaptam).

I just wanted to reiterate the points discussed that is all. Though it is not under our control, we can yearn and pray for painless death.

Once in a while I mentally recite the above quoted verses.

Greetings

just to post another question;
can anybody give me feedback on the role of Prana in the process of communication of the mind and body?
thanks just collecting inputs

Sri Renuka ji,

A fantastic question.....

I could recollect all that I learned in yoga classes during my schooling in Kendriya Vidyalaya.

Prana is a vital element/force/instrument that helps in facilitating the communication between Brain/Mind and Body [Body - Interlinked Chakras (KUNDALINI)]

Combination of interlinked Chakras need to be called as Body that receives and sends communication signals to the Brain.

KUNNDALINI (as we know) comprises of Seven Chakras/Energy centre that plays an actual part of communication between the Brain and the Body.

1)Muldhara (Base Chakra) : located in the spinal cord; required for control of bodily functions

2) Swadhisthana (Sacral Chakra): located in the ovaries or prostrate area; necessary for procreation.

3) Manipura (Solar plexus chakra): located in the naval & abdominal area; responsible for related functions

4) Anahata (Heart chakra): responsible for heart related functions

5) Visuddha (Throat chakra): responsible for all vibrations from the body

6) Ajna (Brow chakra): located in the eyes; responsible for related functions

7) Sahasrara (Crown Chakra): located in the brain; responsible for mental and spiritual growth.

Prana/breath control/regulation is achieved though different yoga practices (Pranayamam). The controlled and balanced breath/prana results in activation and energizing KUNDALANI [a set of seven chakras) that comprises some sort of techniques, actually works on communication between the Brain & the Body.

So, I can say that Prana would only be a vital source, instrumental in facilitating communication between Chakras (Energy Centers) and the Brain that result in bodily actions.

Prana-Chakras including brain-Body can be compared with the functionalities of a Car. Where Prana is like Fuel, Chakras are like Engine [multiple engine functionalities] and Body as a Car with lots of spare parts, levers etc. Fuel supports the engine to activate and function. The Engine (with multiple functionalities) then as a smart brain instructs and allows the various parts of the car to start operations.

dear Raviji, thanks a lot
i want your input on the mode of communication of the mind and the body via Prana.
i never really had a chance to discuss this with anyone, therefore i place this here hoping for feeback from you and others too.
Before that let me furnish you with a medical fact.

Depolarization of the neuronal cell membrane of the brain elicits an action potential which causes transmission of electrical impulses from the brain to the body.

just go through this
its in Q & A form
1) What is Prana?
Prana is known as the Life Principle.

2) What is the function of Prana?
Prana activates and sustains the gross body.

3) Wherefrom does the Prana get the power to activate and sustain the gross body?
Prana gets the power from the Atmic Priciple.
The Vedas declare “Prajnanam Brahma”(Constant Integrated Awareness is Brahman).It is by the Presence of Prajnana that the Prana is able to animate the body.

4) At what level does Prana function in the body?
Prana functions between the mind and the body.

5) How does Prana operate in the body?
Prana operates in the body as a vibration.

What exactly is the nature and composition of Prana?

Prana is subtle in nature, that is invisible and limited in size.
Prana is inherently intelligent as it gets its power of animation and sustenance from Prajnana(Constant Integrated Awareness).
Prana is principally made up of inherently intelligent electrons. (as explained by Swami Yogananda)

Now let us learn about Thought.
What is Thought?
Thought is modification of the thinking faculty(Anthahkarana) of man.
Thoughts in a state of volition constitute the mind(manas)
Thoughts in the state of decision constitute the intellect (buddhi)

Next we will touch on the pathway of communication of the thinking faculty and the gross body.
The Mind function(manas) of the thinking faculty receives the sense perception via the gross Central Nervous System and the Intellect(buddhi) function based on previous experience recognizes,understands, decides on the course of action.
The reverse is also true that is the Intellect function conveys decision, understanding and the Mind function conveys it to the organs of action or glands through the gross Central Nervous System.

There is a whole system of communication and processing of data received or data conveyed in the communication of the thinking faculty and the gross body.

Since we have mapped out the pathways, lets look at the mechanism involved in this whole process of communication.

Next we shall take a fact from physics.
Fact : when electrons flow in one direction electricity is produced.

Recapitulate: Prana functions in the body between the mind and the body and is principally made up of inherently intelligent electrons.

When Thought from Mind(Manas) becomes Will ,after being processed by Intellect(Buddhi) there is a possibility that this causes the Pranic electrons to flow in one direction thereby generating electricity.

Now this electricity generated acts as a stimulus and causes depolarization of the neuronal cell membrane of the brain which in turn elicits an action potential which causes transmission of impulses from the brain to the body.

Likewise when inputs are received from the sensory organs to the brain, depolarization at the neuron in the brain elicits an action potential which in turn causes the Pranic electrons to flow in one direction that is towards the thinking faculty to give it the sensory input for analyzing and then the sequence as mentioned earlier repeats.

Could the directional flow of Pranic electrons generating electricity be the mode of communication of the mind to the body?
kindly give feedback.

Last edited:
Dr. Renuka ji,

The level of explanations and descriptions that you have epitomized are all so in-depth that, I feel a Medical practitioner (might be especially a neurologist) and an expert Yoga practitioner can infer accurately and can share his views and knowledge with yours perfectly.

Within my capacity I agree positively with your concluding question – Could the directional flow of Pranic electrons generating electricity be the mode of communication of the mind to the body?” in view of your elaborate explanations on the modalities of communication between the mind and the body with the help of Pranic Electrons.

Dr. Renuka ji,

Your deep interest and knowledge in these cryptic human anatomy are exquisite...

I would like to seek clarification for few of my doubts pertaining to the subject somewhat relevant to your question of "Role of Prana in communication of Mind to the Body"

The question is -

A Hypnotic expert can carry out his hypnotic tricks and control the Mind of another person. Once taken under control, the mind under control obeys the instructions of the hypnotic expert and performs accordingly. In this context- -

1) If it's Prana Electrons, than how Prana which is made up of so called Inherently Intelligent Electrons gets into the trap of external force (the person doing hypnosis)?

2) Is that Brain, that gets into the external influence and than emits signals accordingly to the body with the help of Prana electrons where Prana electrons are just transmitters?

3) Hypnosis science proves that a brain's decisions can be controlled by an external force. Than is that, Brain can not develop a capacity of resistance from such forcible external instructions?

Just want to know some information on the above out of my curiosity.

dear Ravi ji,

i will try to answer to the best of my ability as the whole "theory" i put forth is what i had deduced and has not been proven.
Prana is described as inherently intelligent from a text i had read before by Swami Yogananda.
Swami Yogananda has decribed Prana as a mixture of consciousness and electrons.
Swami has mentioned that the difference between Prana and normal electrons is prana is "intelligent" and normal electrons are mechanical.

do not get confused, the term intelligent is just to denote the consciousness of prana.Prana does not think on its own. The Antahkarana is the one which thinks as mentioned above in my earlier post.

1) well under hypnosis, the brain gets either auditory or visual stimulus from the hypnotist.
these stimulus is enough to elicit the relay of depolarization---action potential i had explained earlier.
all of us see, hear etc by external stimulus which is transmited to the brain and decided by the mind.
mind is the the decision maker.
the brain needs input either intrinsic or extrinsic.
remember brain is mechanical, brain does not think on its own.
Prana does not get trapped by the hypnotist as Prana just plays the role of the bridging factor. the only difference is Prana has consciouness as mentioned earlier.

2) Prana plays the role of inherently conscious transmitters and not mere mechanical transmitters.
Its the Brain that gets the external stimulus and transmits it to the Mind for the interpratation and final decision.

3) Its the Antahkarana( composed of manas, buddhi, chitta and ahamkara) which is the thinking faculty of man. Brain does not think but has all the needed mechanical and technical support for the Antahkarana to function.
Its the mind which has the capacity to resists external influence whether its by hypnosis or by suggestion.
The mind can develop the capacity to resist any form of influence either external or internal by constant Sadhana.
Isnt that the main objective of the state called SAMADHI
Sama --- equal
Dhi----- mindedness

Last edited:

Perfect… a very perfect description Dr.Renuka ji,

Thank you very much for sparing your valuable time and sharing your knowledge with me.

I could clearly understand what exactly Inherently Intelligent Prana Electrons are in the first instance itself with the help of your pin pointed statements.

I thank you very much for your crear reply on couple of my questions pertaining to Brain's reactions to the Hypnosis.

At this juncture I would like to ask you one question (highlighted in Green) if not mistaken, in conjunction with one of your reply-

"2) Prana plays the role of inherently conscious transmitters and not mere mechanical transmitters.Its the Brain that gets the external stimulus and transmits it to the Mind for the interpratation and final decision. "
- So it is the fact that Mind in an interpreter and decision maker for each individual based on the data transmitted by brain upon grasping auditory and or visual stimulus.

My question is...What's the factor in the Mind of each Individual that interprets, evaluates and concludes on any subject in different ways? That is, why the conclusion of one Mind differs in many ways from other Mind?

Assuming 3 people of equal caliber were briefed on a particular marketing issues and 3 possible strategies namely A, B and C to overcome the issues. Let us assume that all the 3 people are brainy fellows and all the 3 brains had received auditory/visual data perfectly. Now the Mind of each individual is to play the role of decision maker to choose the right strategy (A/B/C). Possibilities are 1) all the 3 Minds may come up with the choice of A, 2) come up with the choices of A & B, 3) One of the minds may reject all the three options.

Let us assume that 1 particular mind (person) is recommending the management to adopt strategy A. It's been adopted, implemented and results found to be a great success. Now this particular person would be considered as very smart, talented and highly competent.

I would like to know as why such variations in Mental capacity exists and what is the reason for it that distinguishes a person as intelligent and competent for others? [ Because we say that God has offered Brain of equal capacity to every individual and its proper and effective usage solely depends on oneself].

Hoping to receive your feed back when ever time permits.

dear Ravi ji,
you come out with really good questions.
ok, you see the Chitta portion of our Antahkarana is the storage place(repository of memories) of all our previous births human or non human.its like a microchip which stores data.
present and previous births tendencies(vasanas) form imprints and influenece our present thoughts and ideas.
each mind never thinks the same and even our thoughts keeps changing every other minute or second hence the term monkey mind.
remember the story in the Mahabharat where Karna hands Krishna a vessel by his left hand because he was afraid that he(Karna) would change his mind later if he waits a little longer by washing his right hand and handing over the vessel.
our mind and thoughts are also heavily influenced by the dominant Guna in us.
those who are mainly saatvic will surely think differently from a mainly rajasic/tamasik individual.
Gunas also keep changing through out the day.
morning: mainly sattva
afternoon: mainly rajas
night: mainly tamas.

there might be 3 people whom you think are equally smart but in reality no one is a carbon copy or clone of another ,even identical twins will differ as they might not share the similar karma.
anyone can study but it depends how one interprates and applies his knowledge and thats is where the discriminative faculty (viveka) comes into play.
viveka is the function of the buddhi faculty of the antahkarana which is influenced by environment, upbringing, personal experiences,subconscious tendencies, previous births imprints ,dominant guna at time of decision making and the list can go on.

working hard and studying hard is also important. we need to feed our brain and mind with data.
imagine a blank computer, if we dont key in data how will it function?
we consiously and subconciously store data in our mind every second. i might not know something today but i might know it tommorrow.
learning never stops. arent we learning from each other now?

Dr. Renuka ji,

I am really chilled with your crystal clear explanation.

Hats off to you for such an explanation, leaving not a single doubt to the readers.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Looking forward may of your postings as interesting queries and topic of discussions that are all very much informative and educative. As well paves the ways for many inter-related queries and relevant answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back