• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meaning in Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I request this being a Tamil brahmins web site, i request meanings in Tamil for sanskrit solkams like Aditya Hirdayam and other slokas. This will be useful for people like me who do not have much knowledge of English and no knowledge of Sanskrit.

I request some Sanskrit pandit to translate SandyaVandam in Tamil and educate people to do sandyavandanam in Tamil. Any one would do anything by Heart if they understand the meaning or in their own language.

I do not know what I am saying is correct or wrong. Still this is my wish.

I do Sandyavandanam and Amavasai Tharpam without knowing what I am doing, What I am saying?

If we start educating in our own mother tongue children can also take interest

Regards

Ssubharaman

I request this being a Tamil brahmins web site, i request meanings in Tamil for sanskrit solkams like Aditya Hirdayam and other slokas. This will be useful for people like me who do not have much knowledge of English and no knowledge of Sanskrit.

I request some Sanskrit pandit to translate SandyaVandam in Tamil and educate people to do sandyavandanam in Tamil. Any one would do anything by Heart if they understand the meaning or in their own language.

I do Sandyavandanam and Amavasai Tharpam without knowing what I am doing, What I am saying?

Regards

Ssubharaman

Dear sir,

You know rituals in Bali Indonesia are still only in Sanskrit and they do take the trouble to learn Sanskrit.
At funerals you can see the display of Mahavakyas Tat Tvam Asi at the site of cremation.
I am amazed at the level of Sanskrit understanding among Balinese I have met in Puttaparthi.

What you requested is good too..to be able to understand what we all recite during prayer.

Samskrita Bharati organization of India is trying very hard to revive Sanskrit as the mother tongue of all Indians without neglecting regional languages.

Its a good start for all Indians to consider learning their regional language and Sanskrit for a good understanding of scriptures.

I am no pandit but this is just my honest opinion.

Learning the meaning is not difficult now as books and other media are available.

Doing them in tamil is a different proposition - you have to start a new tradition. Generally the force and power of the original mantras/ slokas will be lost if translated.

Regards

Ssubharaman

My sister and I were writing this blog - contains a few slokams translated
to Tamil. Our aim was this blog to be helpful to our mother who can read only Tamil.

If you find something useful, please feel free to use it.
Ashta Dasa Bhuja Durga Temple Sembakkam, Chennai 73

There are knowledgeable people in this Forum (both in Sanskrit and in Tamil) who can provide additional links.

Dear Sir,

Please visit the Translations and meanings in the second

section.

You will find the translation of many works there.

I myself have translated these popular works in that section.

1. Devi Mhaatmyam (all the Devi sthuthis)

2. Abhirami anthathi.

3. On sree Ramaya thubyam nama:

4. Om nama sivaaya.

5. Lalitha sahasra naamam.

6. Moha mudhgaram. (Bhaja Govindam)

7. Sri Hanumaan Chaaleesa.

8. Aatithya Hrudayam

In my humble opinion, writing and reading sanskrit prayers in Tamil will defeat the very purpose of the slokas. In sanskrit we have four forms for every alphabet whereas in tamil we have only one alphabet. This acts as an impediment to bring out the correct pronounciation and meaning. The supplement issue of Ganana Alayam (a Tamil magazine) for February 2012 contains Narayaneeyam slokas converted into Tamil songs. I don't know, how effective will be these songs comparing to the original sanskrit songs.

While we can learn other languages like German, French, etc. Why can't we learn the simple Sanskrit which is our Mother Tongue?

ஓம் ஸ்ரீ ராமாய துப்4யம் நம :

ஆபதா3மபஹர்தாரம்
தா3தாரம் ஸர்வஸம்பதா3ம் |
லோகாபி4ராமாம் ஸ்ரீ ராமம்
பூ4யோ பூ4யோ நமாம்ஹாயம் || (1)

ஆபத்துக்களைப் போக்குபவனும், அனைத்து சம்பத்துக்களையும் அளிப்பவனும், அகில உலகும் போற்றுபவனும் ஆன ஸ்ரீ ராமபிரானை மீண்டும் மீண்டும் நான் நமஸ்கரிக்கின்றேன்.

ஆர்த்தானாமார்த்திஹந்தாரம்
பீ4தானாம் பீ4திநாச'னம் |
த்3விஷதாம் காலத3ண்டம் தம்
ராமசந்த்3ரம் நமாம்யஹம் || (2)

துக்கப்படுகின்றவர்களின் துக்கங்களைப் போக்குபவனும், பீதி அடைந்தவர்களின் பீதியைப் போக்குபவனும், சத்ருக்களுக்கு காலனைப் போன்றவனும் ஆன ஸ்ரீ ராமச்சந்திரனை நான் நமஸ்கரிக்கின்றேன்.

It is possible to give the correct pronunciation using the numbers 2,3 and 4 along with the Tamil alphabets.

In my humble opinion, writing and reading sanskrit prayers in Tamil will defeat the very purpose of the slokas. In sanskrit we have four forms for every alphabet whereas in tamil we have only one alphabet. This acts as an impediment to bring out the correct pronounciation and meaning. The supplement issue of Ganana Alayam (a Tamil magazine) for February 2012 contains Narayaneeyam slokas converted into Tamil songs. I don't know, how effective will be these songs comparing to the original sanskrit songs.

While we can learn other languages like German, French, etc. Why can't we learn the simple Sanskrit which is our Mother Tongue?

Wasn't the entire Grantha script meant for this very purpose? Why did it go away?

Grantha alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ஓம் ஸ்ரீ ராமாய துப்4யம் நம :

ஆபதா3மபஹர்தாரம்
தா3தாரம் ஸர்வஸம்பதா3ம் |
லோகாபி4ராமாம் ஸ்ரீ ராமம்
பூ4யோ பூ4யோ நமாம்ஹாயம் || (1)

ஆபத்துக்களைப் போக்குபவனும், அனைத்து சம்பத்துக்களையும் அளிப்பவனும், அகில உலகும் போற்றுபவனும் ஆன ஸ்ரீ ராமபிரானை மீண்டும் மீண்டும் நான் நமஸ்கரிக்கின்றேன்.

ஆர்த்தானாமார்த்திஹந்தாரம்
பீ4தானாம் பீ4திநாச'னம் |
த்3விஷதாம் காலத3ண்டம் தம்
ராமசந்த்3ரம் நமாம்யஹம் || (2)

துக்கப்படுகின்றவர்களின் துக்கங்களைப் போக்குபவனும், பீதி அடைந்தவர்களின் பீதியைப் போக்குபவனும், சத்ருக்களுக்கு காலனைப் போன்றவனும் ஆன ஸ்ரீ ராமச்சந்திரனை நான் நமஸ்கரிக்கின்றேன்.

It is possible to give the correct pronunciation using the numbers 2,3 and 4 along with the Tamil alphabets.

Hindi and Sanskrit alphabets are much easier to learn and write than the Grantha alphabets.

With numbers written along with Tamil alphabets, correct pronunciation is possible. But a disappointing fact:

Google transliteration has the special letters ஜ, ஷ, ஸ, ஹ,
ஸ்ரீ but is missing!

Wasn't the entire Grantha script meant for this very purpose? Why did it go away?

Grantha alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly!!! When I learnt Sanskrit I learnt both scripts Grantha Lipi and Devanagari Lipi..but eventually had to stop Grantha cos I couldnt get much text and I was reading it a bit slower as compared to Devanagari.

I feel Grantha should be revived again to get interest of Tamilians to learn Sanskrit.
Many NB Tamilians here do not like knowing Sanskrit becos they think its Hindi script.
Its so hard trying to convince people that its not Hindi Script but Devanagari script and many languages use it.

I have a Bhajan booklet of Tamil songs fully written in Devanagari script.

These days people find it difficult to read / write and pronounce correctly the existing Tamil alphabets.
Expecting all of them to learn grantha lipi is almost impossible.
So settle down for the next best option - so that we do not miss the meanings of great works for the sake of the inappropriate alphabets.

Namaskarams,
The suggestion given by Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani is acceptable. But how many people know the purpose of the number alongwith the letter and the pronounciation the number stands for. To know this, you should learn Sanskrit or Hindi. That was the krux of my message.

Namaskarams,
The suggestion given by Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani is acceptable. But how many people know the purpose of the number alongwith the letter and the pronounciation the number stands for. To know this, you should learn Sanskrit or Hindi. That was the krux of my message.

I agree with you that to get the correct prnounciation one needs to know Sanskrit language besides the Devanagari Script..Hindi I wouldnt 100% agree to it cos many who know Hindi without knowing the Sanskrit language do mispronounce Sanskrit words and miss out on the Visargas.

Ok most commonly mispronounced word I have heard is in the Vakratunda Mahakaya mantra..in the line Kuru Me Deva..its always almost prounounced as Guru Me Deva when people read it in Tamil Script instead of Kuru Me Deva..cos when we dont know the meaning in Sanskrit we wouldnt know to pronounce the letter as Ka or Ga and the meaning gets wrong.
But in Grantham Script there is a different Alphabets for Ka and Ga so this problem will not arise.

Last edited:
Without looking at the Devanagri next to the Tamil + Numerals I can't easily decipher the function of the numbers. Due to the voicing of consonants due to position I can't really even see how you could form a word like BHUR because the initial would sound like 'P' even if a number denoted to aspirate it... I am way newer to Tamil than I am to Sanskrit though...

....in the line Kuru Me Deva..its always almost prounounced as Guru Me Deva when people read it in Tamil Script instead of Kuru Me Deva..cos when we dont know the meaning in Sanskrit we wouldnt know to pronounce the letter as Ka or Ga and the meaning gets wrong.
Once the numbers are given along with the Tamil alphabets, it is understood that க is ka, க2 is kha, க3 is ga and க4 is gha.

If a person does not know the difference between ka, kha, ga, gha etc, then there is NO use in learning any sloka, IMHO!

People who have difficulty to write correct Tamil, which has
ல, ள, ழ ; ர, ற and ந, ன, ண will find it more difficult to remember

the four variations in ka, cha, tha, ta and pa in the other languages. Hence the numbering in Tamil is suggested.

(Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada and some other languages have the four variations.This difficulty arises for those who know only Tamil.)

Last edited:
Dear Sri Raji Ram,

Thanks for the explanation.

Once the numbers are given along with the Tamil alphabets, it is understood that க is ka, க2 is kha, க3 is ga and க4 is gha.

If a person does not know the difference between ka, kha, ga, gha etc, then there is NO use in learning any sloka, IMHO!

the four variations in ka, cha, tha, ta and pa in the other languages. Hence the numbering in Tamil is suggested.

(Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada and some other languages have the four variations.This difficulty arises for those who know only Tamil.)

Dear Raji Ji,

Thanks a lot for explanation somewhat reminded me of my sons Carnatic music book when Ri 1 Ri 2 is written to denote flat or major or minor notes.(i dont know carnatic music much only familiar with western music notes but my son is learning both)

For ka= kadal; for kka= mukkam (face) for ga= raagam; for gga Raghavan; for cha= echam; for chacha =chchayaa-=Shadow= nilal; for ja= jalam; for jja= jangaara sruthi; for ta= ishtam; for tta= kadinam; for da= kudam; for dda= moodan;

For tha= thanimai; forthatha= raththam; ; for dha=padham; fordhdha=dhanam; For palam; for ppa= phalan; for ba= inbam; for b ha= bhayam; for sha=shanku, paasham; foe sa= saraswathi; for shri= shri vidhya;

Respected Gopalan Sir,

May we add La for kuLam - குளம், zha for pazham - பழம், Na for paNam - பணம் , Ra for muRam - முறம்,

with a rule that the starting na in a word will be the letter ந, when we write Thanglish!

While writing slokams, i
t is easy to write sa , sha and ha ஹ whereas,
will need an underline for ச!

Regards ......

I am an opinionated person... and is my favorite Tamil letter. It is ridiculously hard to get used to as a native English speaker. I just thought I would share that little fact with you all :-D

I am an opinionated person... and is my favorite Tamil letter. It is ridiculously hard to get used to as a native English speaker. I just thought I would share that little fact with you all :-D
Hard to pronounce ழ?? Surprising!! I thought Amezhicans living in Amezhica will get it easily! :D

Dear Shrimati Raji Ram,
All apologies for my oversight!

Sincerely,
Sankara

Dear Sankara,

FYI, since you are new to this forum... I am younger sister of Smt. V R Ji. Hence Smt. R R. :)

Best wishes..........

Dear Sankara,

No need to apologize. I love Boston, because my son lives there with his dear wife and darling daughter!

Best wishes...........

Surely NO ONE thinks that I am teaching mathematics along with Tamil in the guise of Sanskrit sloka :faint:

I am dumbfound to think that anyone can imagine our learned readers to be so very dumb!!! :shocked:

Won't anyone wonder why only three numbers are always
being used along with the Tamil alphabets
and why they are always 2, 3 and 4! :rolleyes:

So what is your suggestion /alternate method for this problem
without expecting all the people to learn the Granda lipi / Hindi / Sanskrit ???

Namaskarams,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back