• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Masala Dosa among ten dishes to try before you die

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Viator: 10 Foods Around The World To Try Before You Die (PHOTOS)

If one subcontinental meal could persuade a committed carnivore to order vegetarian, my vote would go to a masala dosa in South India. The plate-covering, paper-thin pancake is made from rice and lentils, cooked to lacy perfection on a hot griddle. What creates the flavor is a spiced concoction of mashed cooked potatoes and fried onions, served with a liberal dose of chutney.

dosa-250.jpeg

I would not see rest of the foods in that list, at least for vegetarians. :peace:

Last edited:
Viator: 10 Foods Around The World To Try Before You Die (PHOTOS)

If one subcontinental meal could persuade a committed carnivore to order vegetarian, my vote would go to a masala dosa in South India. The plate-covering, paper-thin pancake is made from rice and lentils, cooked to lacy perfection on a hot griddle. What creates the flavor is a spiced concoction of mashed cooked potatoes and fried onions, served with a liberal dose of chutney.

View attachment 1841

I would not see rest of the foods in that list, at least for vegetarians. :peace:
dear prasad !
what ever is given as masala dosai is not masala dosai .you will get good masala dosai only in kamat hotels ,udipi krishna bhavans only which have pure cooked potatos with right mix of chili&garlic paste.in allother place we get dosa with poori masal kept in the center.set dosa,masala dosa,bishy bele bath etc are item which will long last in our taste buds.Visit MTR of Bangalore.
guruvayurappan

dear prasad !
what ever is given as masala dosai is not masala dosai .you will get good masala dosai only in kamat hotels ,udipi krishna bhavans only which have pure cooked potatos with right mix of chili&garlic paste.in allother place we get dosa with poori masal kept in the center.set dosa,masala dosa,bishy bele bath etc are item which will long last in our taste buds.Visit MTR of Bangalore.
guruvayurappan

Sir,
Beggars can not be choosers. We do not have the luxury of visiting MTR here is USA.
Besides that south Indian vegetarian food is the only food, rest all are fillers.

dear prasad!
post 3#
i heard we can order indian crocery online in USA.if it is so ,you can get many south indian receipe as instantproduct released by MTR bangalore.my son in MEXICO get our food item through on line through his friends in USA
guruvayurappan

dear prasad!
post 3#
i heard we can order indian crocery online in USA.if it is so ,you can get many south indian receipe as instantproduct released by MTR bangalore.my son in MEXICO get our food item through on line through his friends in USA
guruvayurappan

We have multiple Indian grocery store here. All MTR packets, and ready made foods are available here, unfortunately we have to prepare it ourselves. I wish there was a 'NANDU' to prepare it.:hurt:

dear prasad !
guruvayurappan

I have eaten masala dosai in MTR in Bangalore. I can't recall the taste now. It has been ages. But I will not eat it if it contains garlic. That smell of garlic will drive me miles away from it. I can brag that I make the best masala dOsai at home. I am a discriminating eater with specific taste buds. I make the masala with boiled potatoes, then mashing them and stir frying them with the following: canola oil, mustard seeds, uLuttam paruppu, couple of jalapeno peppers chopped, couple of red chillies pieces, cashew in liberal amounts, peas, red onion (sweet), a few baby carrots chopped, a piece of ginger chopped, a few curry leaves, a few leaves of cilantro (kottamalli).

I only list the ingredients . I am not writing the actual method or the sequence of the addition of ingredients. I do not like the masala dosai made in Udupi or even Kamat in several cities in the US--such as Chicago and other cities. Some people rave about the Saravana Bhavan in Manhattan (NY) but in all these places I find the taste is monotonous and standard. The potato is found in lumps. If you are hungry they will pass, that is all.

dear prasad!
post 3#
guruvayurappan

The MTR ready to heat and eat food packets (available in most groceries everywhere in the US) such as mattar panneer, spinach and others are so commercial to suit only the hungry folks whose palates will pass any food so long as it reaches the stomach. I once tried their mattar panneer. It was awful. The gravy content was 90% with a few pieces of panneer and peas. Also they list the ingredients and calories which are not correct. I sent an email to them at the address given. They did not respond. MTR takes their customers (since they are Indians) for granted. White Americans who eat such foods once in a while seem to like it since they don't know how an authentic home-made item would taste like. Plus for their taste buds the packets are OK.

Greetings.

Out of those 10 items, I loved 3 of them. On regular basis I cook noodles in coconut-cream with vegetables ( no seafood though), make it so hot, it would run the sinus down! Pavalova in moderation is my favourite;Of course, masala dosai ( only in summer months. in the winter months it's a struggle to get the dough fermented.. so, why bother?) But, importantly, most of the recipes we cook at home are not comercially available. So, would not have made the list. Last week I packed our humble pongal for one of my collegues - she loved it so much, she said never tasted anything like that. That poor girl brought 1/2 kilo of fresh ground coffee to show her appreciation! Our simple day to day kuzhambu ( sambar) took my place by storm! One girl was leaving us to a different locality on a higher postion; I was going to cook her a meal.. asked her to state her favourite.. she wanted beans + butter bean nuts puli kuzhambu! By the way, all these girls are anglo-saxons.

Cheers!

Raghy:
You can make the dosai batter ferment in winter months too if you turn on the oven to its minimum temperature (say 170 deg F) and once it reaches that temperature turn the oven off and place the batter in the middle rack and leave it for a few hours. The fermentation would be complete. The usual catalystsfor fermentation is yeast which works optimally at 100 deg F. The above method will strike a compromise. By the time the batter reaches the oven temperature the oven would have cooled too around 100 deg F. Try it.

Also to make yogurt use the same method. After heating milk to almost boiling cool it to 104 deg F. Two bacteria present in the yogurt culture (you have to add a tablespoon of yogurt to a quart of milk) work optimally around 104 deg F and you will have nice yogurt in the morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back