• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mario Miranda (1926-2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Mario Joao Carlos do Rosario de Britto Miranda popularly known as Mario Miranda through his Cartoons passed away in his sleep yesterday (Sunday Dec 11,2011) at his ancestral home in Loutolim village, in Goa. In his death India has lost a great Cartoonist.

Mario Miranda was one of my favorite Cartoonists.

Mario Miranda did not have any formal training in Art but created his own inimitable style in cartooning and drawings. He was a keen observer of people and places which reflected in his drawings.It was his illustrations of people, landscapes and places that catapulted him to the league of creative geniuses. He has traveled far and wide and pictorial renditions of his travelogues across the major cities of the world stand out as masterly impressions . He joined Illustrated Weekly of India and at one time the Weekly was enlivened by Kushwant Singh's bold and ribald editorial wit and Miranda's cartoons.He created immortal characters, such as Miss Nimboopani, Ms Fonseca, The Boss, Godbole, Bundaldass & Moonswamy, which made him popular. He was a receipient of Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and numerous other awards.

Mario Miranda belong to Brahmin Sardesai family converted to Roman Catholic Christianity during the invasion of the Salcette district in the mid 16th century, by the Portuguese, and took on their new name, Miranda. His family sources said that the mortal remains of Mario Miranda would be "cremated" on Monday (today) as per his wish and not buried.
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
In more than one instance, I have noticed that the lack of formal training gives a novelty to the style of the artist and adds new dimension. We have them in every field of art - music, dancing, acting, drawings, cartoons, painting and poetry.

In more than one instance, I have noticed that the lack of formal training gives a novelty to the style of the artist and adds new dimension. We have them in every field of art - music, dancing, acting, drawings, cartoons, painting and poetry.

Dear Mrs.Visalakshi Ramani,

True indeed. R.K.Laxman and David Low also did not have formal training in Art. But they are considered the great Cartoonists in the world. Art and music comes out of inner soul of the artist. Similarly the connoisseur of fine arts can enjoy the creations when he reaches out to the same wave length of the creator.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

RIP mario.

if r.k.laxman, made you think, mario made you laugh. his caricatures were hilarious, and thought provoking too.

time passes on. thank you God for the likes of narayan and mario. gifts to india. :) :(

dear visa,

what a profound statement.

the likes of steven jobs or bill gates came out of dropping out.

recently my nephew here in toronto, had a formal carnatic music aragetram. this kid goes beyond what is the norms. and he has had 3 gurus, only because, truly dear lady, 'குருவே மிஞ்சின சிஷ்யன்' very quickly. as one of the gurus, grandson of papanasam sivan, pointed out, this kid's questions alone can become a dictionary..such is curiosity.

we had trichy sankaran, who was critical of the young artist. he suggest that the kid stick to tradition and not try tricks which only ramanathapuram krishnan could do.. me being an ignorant carnatic music guy, could not understand the details, but could understand the criticism.

i think, unless we think out of the box, we are set for rut and monotony, all in the name of sambradayam.

good point dear lady..

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,

Every artist must try innovation within the grammar of the art so that the final products are not stereotyped and /or eventually become boring. :bored:

New ideas, new expression, new strokes, new lines add pep to the art. We don't have to become "pop" to attract the crowd!

Some new "pep" is more than sufficient in most cases! :)
with warm regards,
V. R.

dear visa,

what a profound statement.

the likes of steven jobs or bill gates came out of dropping out.

recently my nephew here in toronto, had a formal carnatic music aragetram. this kid goes beyond what is the norms. and he has had 3 gurus, only because, truly dear lady, 'குருவே மிஞ்சின சிஷ்யன்' very quickly. as one of the gurus, grandson of papanasam sivan, pointed out, this kid's questions alone can become a dictionary..such is curiosity.

we had trichy sankaran, who was critical of the young artist. he suggest that the kid stick to tradition and not try tricks which only ramanathapuram krishnan could do.. me being an ignorant carnatic music guy, could not understand the details, but could understand the criticism.

i think, unless we think out of the box, we are set for rut and monotony, all in the name of sambradayam.

good point dear lady..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back