• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mantra to be chanted during someone's birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vedic sukthaas must be chanted only by sastrigals. they can chant mrudha sanjeevana sooktham; mruthyanjaya sootham;ayushya sooktham; navagraha sooktham; nakshathra sooktham . you may do ayushya homam and navagraha homam on that day;

You may do anna dhaanam on that day to the needy poor class people.

Dear Members,

I wanted to know which mantra( or any Vedic Sukta) to be chanted during someone's birthday i.e wishing them long life etc. I detest people emulating western way of celebration( whiz cutting cake, etc). I think there is some Vedic Mantra( Ayush Sukta if I am not wrong), if anyone know about it please let me know.

Thanks,
Shriharsha

sri,

may i please suggest that you do not 'detest people emulating western way of celebration( whiz cutting cake, etc). '

i am not so sure what 'whiz cutting' means but i am with you - cutting a cake and shoving it inside someone else's mouth with one's hands - apart from the hygiene aspect, the piece size is so large, that one either has to bite into it to make a chewable morcel or swallow the whole damned stuff and choke.

having said that, whomever you are proposing to felicitate, might just want cake cutting. it apparently is a popular fun thing to do, west or east :)

also, let us say, you are in a restaurant setting with family and friends. cake cutting flows easier than chanting mantras. atleast i think so.

best of luck, and if you dont mind, please let us know, how the function went.

happy birday to the party concerned.

sri,

may i please suggest that you do not 'detest people emulating western way of celebration( whiz cutting cake, etc). '

i am not so sure what 'whiz cutting' means but i am with you - cutting a cake and shoving it inside someone else's mouth with one's hands - apart from the hygiene aspect, the piece size is so large, that one either has to bite into it to make a chewable morcel or swallow the whole damned stuff and choke.

having said that, whomever you are proposing to felicitate, might just want cake cutting. it apparently is a popular fun thing to do, west or east :)

also, let us say, you are in a restaurant setting with family and friends. cake cutting flows easier than chanting mantras. atleast i think so.

best of luck, and if you dont mind, please let us know, how the function went.

happy birday to the party concerned.

I meant not the people but the practice that too the way they denigrate our practices than following theirs( how can I do that thats the first integral part to be a Brahmin). Sorry it made you think that way, I should have phrased it better. My intention was to know the proper vedic practice, which accompanies the chanting of vedic slokas etc, which I saw once at temple.

I meant not the people but the practice that too the way they denigrate our practices than following theirs( how can I do that thats the first integral part to be a Brahmin). Sorry it made you think that way, I should have phrased it better. My intention was to know the proper vedic practice, which accompanies the chanting of vedic slokas etc, which I saw once at temple.

dear sri,

thanks very much for your prompt reply.

Not being familiar with mantras, I have to disappoint you. hopefully other learned members here can quench your thirst for ritual chants.

One suggestion though, if you don’t mind. You have made a statement ‘how can I do that thats the first integral part to be a Brahmin’.

There is a thread here, as to what defines a brahmin these days. I am quite sure, you yourself have no doubt about your identity, and have defined your own parameters as to what defines you as a Brahmin. Which I think is the best, as a tambram today, is quite different in his practices from the days of his grandfather, and further more removed from practices of 300 years ago and so on.

Another suggestion, while all this vedic practice is well and good for yourself, if it is a matter of your child or spouse, to give them a special feeling of joy on their birthday, is to include some festivity to their liking. Which may or may not be exclusively ‘vedic’ as you term it.

After all, I have found in my life, the one worst way to thrust religious practices is to unilaterally go about doing things without consultation with the parties concerned; and even more worse, is to deny certain frivolities in the name of alien or decadent practices.

Please excuse if this note bothers your sensitivities. i mean it in good faith.

Thank you.

Vedic sukthaas must be chanted only by sastrigals. they can chant mrudha sanjeevana sooktham; mruthyanjaya sootham;ayushya sooktham; navagraha sooktham; nakshathra sooktham . you may do ayushya homam and navagraha homam on that day;

You may do anna dhaanam on that day to the needy poor class people.

Hello Shriharsha,

Mr Gopalan is right. All the vedic Suktas like the Poorsha Sookta, Narayana Sukta, Durga Suktam, Nakshatra Suktam have to chanted along with the Ayush Suktam for long life. There is a definate order to it as well.

This is basically what all the sastrigal chant in the Ayush Homam ceremony. But these have to chanted on the Nakshatira Porandnallu and not the birthday as per the western calender.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karthik

Hello Shriharsha,

Mr Gopalan is right. All the vedic Suktas like the Poorsha Sookta, Narayana Sukta, Durga Suktam, Nakshatra Suktam have to chanted along with the Ayush Suktam for long life. There is a definate order to it as well.

This is basically what all the sastrigal chant in the Ayush Homam ceremony. But these have to chanted on the Nakshatira Porandnallu and not the birthday as per the western calender.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karthik

Point Well Noted. In fact I meant Nakshatra corresponging to Masa the person was born.

Thanks,
Shriharsha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back