• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

mangalyam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! You got 17 points for your one post (a question) but no reply so far! :)

I think I saw someone whose points were less than his number of posts!!!

Considering the fact, that a post fetches minimum 2 points, it was surprising!!!

I think Sangom Sir would be able to answer the query in the OP! :)

Tambrams have different types of mAngalyams.

Two designs are like cross symbol! It may not be for brahmins! :noidea:

Here are a few:

Thali_designs.gif

I think Sangom Sir would be able to answer the query in the OP! :)

Tambrams have different types of mAngalyams.

Two designs are like cross symbol! It may not be for brahmins! :noidea:

Here are a few:

Thali_designs.gif
Raji Madam

Appreciate your answer, but still OP wants to know not the different types of Mangalyams but

"when was the various designs for the mangalyams of various sects started and who or which sect was first to introduce? any light?"
WHEN ? WHEN ? WHEN ? Read the OP again please.

I am not familiar with ancient Tamil literature and so I can't say whether there is any mention of Thaali or maangalyam in the cangam literature. But the observed fact that there has not been such a practice north of the Vindhyas shows that it was not a vedic ritual. There is no vedic sukta or verse in the vedas indicating the maangalyam. In fact the usually heard slokam "mAngalyam tantunAnEna..." is a much later concoction by some sanskrit scholar.

As to when this practice started, I follow the version of Agnihotram Ramanuja Thathachariar. According to him this is a practice which the vedic people adopted from the ancient Tamil people. Hence the answer to the question "when?" will depend on when the vedic people came and settled in the Tamil land.

Since our legendary accounts state that it was sage agastya who first came to the south, along with some 18 tribes, it will be these people who possibly first adopted this "Thaali" practice; we can't be sure as to which sect started it first.

Last edited:
Thank you, Sangom Sir!

On a related note, there are different types of mangalyams among the iyer sect - meenakshi sundaresar, thulasi madam - which, I think has two subtypes - the upright one and upside down one (I've heard there is such a one but, never seen this) and may be others too. Why are there so many types? Is there any basis to it? Like district / region or maybe even like subsect difference - like Vadamas wear one and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back