• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mamas and Samayal!

anandkumarrs

Mamas & Samayal

- Anand Kumar R.S

In one of my earlier articles, I had written about the different types of Tambrahm mamas we encounter in our day today lives. This article was well received and many said that they could relate very much to it. That in fact emboldened me to start this “Tambrahmism” series of articles where I started writing about different aspects of Tambrahm life and quirks. Much later, I wrote Part -2 of the different mama types to cover some more personalities. If you have not read those, please read them here (Part -1) and here (Part 2).

One of the types of Tambrahm mamas which I missed was “Saapatula kutham kandu pidikara mamas” which is also quite a common type. In fact if you ask mamis, they will say all mamas fall in this type. It is now widely known and accepted that Tambrahm mamas by and large are “Saapattu priyans”. They are so passionate about food that it also makes them very intolerant and nit pickers in matters of food. Whether at home or outside, you cannot stop a mama from judging the menu and food and delivering his judgement even if he has not touched a karandi in years.

Usually the rant starts with the menu itself. “Innikku enna, verum molagoottal thaana? Oru Rasam kisam kidayaatha?” For mamis, making molagoottal doubles up as a kootaan and a side dish and hence saves time and effort. It is equivalent to Upma for breakfast. If nothing else works out, Upma is always the omnipresent substitute, quick and simple to make. Same with molagoottal for lunch.

Mama: “Innikkum Upma’va? Oru Puttu/kittu pannina nanna irukkum”

Mami: Aamaam. Erkanave lockdown’la pootindu irukkom. Oraalukku ippo Puttu venamaam!”

After the menu, mama’s critique extends to the making and starts with the rice itself. “Enna innikku chaadam vegaama vethu vetha irukku?” Or “Enna innikku chaadam ore kozhanju irukku?” Enna mor kootaanukku Jaundice vantha madiri manjal kooduthala irukku?

Verumarisi adaila thenga pallu podalaya?

Then it gets to the taste and it is usually – “Enna rasathula uppu jaasthiya irukku? Sambhar’la perunkaayam orediya thookindu irukku? Even the curd that sets itself is not left out. “Enna thayir urayave illai? In the earlier generations, mamis got used to the rant, just ignored and kept quiet. But these days, mamis have their own pointed quips which land like precision guided missiles.

For the Sambhar’la perunkaayam question, the answer more likely from today’s mamis would be, “Naan konjama thaan potundu irunthen. Ungamma thaan Sambhar’la innum konjam pottukalaam’nnu sonnathu”! What seemed a wicket taking yorker has been despatched out of the park over the bowler’s head.

Similarly if the mama’s critique is “Enna, paal payasam konjam kozhuthundu irukku?” (Meaning it’s thick), the response would be “Ellam correcta thaan irukku. Ungalukku thaan konjam kozhuppu jaasthi aayirukku. Pona blood test’la cholesterol level jaasti’nnu kaamichuthe!” One more time, the mama has been “mankaded” that too with prior warning!

Of course, thenga pallu comment meets with a deadly answer always. “Namma palle innikko, naalaiko’nnu irukku. Ithula thenga pallu vera venama?

As I mentioned earlier, mamas cannot stop reacting to food because of their passion towards food. Also, one should blame it on their genes. Even if they don’t cook, most of the mamas score very high on theory as far as samayal matters are concerned. And even if they don’t go near the kitchen to save their lives, they will know what is “kambi paagu” consistency and all.

Tired of listening to “Suppudu” like critical comments for their samayal, I have often seen mamis issuing challenge to mamas – “Ivalavu vakkanaiya pesarele…. Oru naal samachu thaan kaattungalen…” This is like a deadly Doosra. Either you hit out or get out. There could be two scenarios here. One, the mama doesn’t accept the challenge to which mami’s reaction will be like, “Theory therinja mattum poraathu. Practicalaavum panna therinjurukanum!” Second, mama sportingly accepts the challenge and gothavula iranga thayaraagirathu.

I imagine the second situation and it will go most probably like this.

Mama: “O.k, enna menu venum?”

Mami:
“Ithu verayaa? Yetho Pattappa, Kochi Mani parambara’la vantha madiri enna kelvi? Ethu panna varumo, atha pannungo”

Mama
now takes the cue from mami’s book and decides to make what else but Molagoottal so that he doesn’t have to make Kootaan, Thoran and all separately. One Molagoottal, salad and one pickle will do the trick for a full meal along with thayir sadam.

Mama starts the cooking ordeal with cutting the vegetables which is preceded by a barrage of questions “Ithu enga irukku? Athu enga irukku? Yen kathi ivalavu monnaiya irukku?”

Mami: “Samayal panrathu oru naalaikku. Athukku kathi ivalavu sharp’a iruntha porum!”

The response cannot get sharper than this!

Mama: Thengai irukka?

Mami: Thengai thuruvi fridge’la vechurukene. Athaiye use pannungo.

Mama: Athu sari pattu varaathu. Fresh’a thenga chorandi’na thaan taste correct’a varum.”
Mama is now pushing his luck by displaying his strength in theory.

Mami: “Okaanthu turuvungo…. Enakenna. Thenga filterukku antha side’la irukku.”

Mama
starts the work with Sanjay Subramanyam’s Kharaharapriya on the loop in his ears and of course singing along.

Mami: Samayal panratha ippo ethukku paatellam? Athuvum onga kara kara voice’la?

Mama:
“Keertanai Kharaharapriya’ aache?”

Mami:
“Joke sahikala! Innikku mattum illa… neenga eppo paadinaalum Kharaharapriya thaan, athuvum srutiye illaama!”

Mama: “Nee ingarunthu po. Naan ellam pannittu koopadaren. Appo vantha porum.”
Mama doesn’t want mami to breathe down his neck while he struggles with his experiments, so to say.

Mami: “Seri, naan kulichuttu varen”!

Mama reaches out to the Arisi dabba to take out rice for keeping in the cooker. To his bad luck, the lid is loose and before he could realise what happened, rice is all over the kitchen. Now, the next task is to clean up the mess before mami comes out of the bath. So, the next few minutes goes in assiduously perukking and porukking the rice grains onnu vidaama from the floor and dumping it at the “bottom of the dust bin”. After it’s all done, a few additional minutes are spent in removing any evidence whatsoever left of the rice spilling episode. Mama is now in the mode of a murderer cleaning up all the evidences from a crime scene. I think this trait was what was showcased superbly in Michael Madana Kama Rajan in that epic “Meen” comedy scene!!

But as they say, every criminal always leaves a clue without him realising it. So, when mami comes back, her first question is, “Enna nadanthuthu inga? Door’ukku pinnaala arisi ellam kidakku?” I have always felt that most of the mamis are most qualified to be forensic experts and part of crime investigation departments in the world.

Mama: “Aaru unnai inga vara chonna? Inga onnum nadakallai. Nee hall’ukku poi WhatsApp paathundu iru.”

Mama
has now cut the vegetables for Molagoottal and kept it in gas with water for boiling. People who cook regularly know that it is advisable not to keep the stove in full burner but in medium always. Mama kept it in full burner and is now busy thuruving the coconut with his back to the stove. Soon, there is a burning smell which has now reached the adjacent room where mami is checking her WhatsApp. Mama, though in the kitchen, hasn’t yet caught up with the burning smell, merrily drowned in Sanjay Sub’s Nalinakanthi now.

Mami: Enna aduppula kariyarathu? Adi pidikara smell varathu???

Mama
by now realises that his deep diving into Manavyalakinchara has killed his Molagoottal and puts off the gas. Mami now has had enough of it.

Mami: Neenga samachathu ellam porum. Naane pannikiren. Neenga maarungo.

Multi-tasking is an art perfected by mamis into science.

She takes over the kitchen and makes good the Molagoottal with the partially burnt out vegetables etc.…. Salad is cut. One Puleeinji is also quickly added to the menu. And pappadam is fried.

It’s time for lunch now and …

Mama: Enna, molagoottal’a uppu konjam kammi’ya irukku?

It will be like the saying 'vengala Kadaiyile yaanai pugundha madhiri' everything will be a mess.

Also many mamas would have lost their teeth and even the duplicate set may not fit for all and inspite of this they will come with these saying.

Last edited:
Mamas & Samayal

- Anand Kumar R.S

In one of my earlier articles, I had written about the different types of Tambrahm mamas we encounter in our day today lives. This article was well received and many said that they could relate very much to it. That in fact emboldened me to start this “Tambrahmism” series of articles where I started writing about different aspects of Tambrahm life and quirks. Much later, I wrote Part -2 of the different mama types to cover some more personalities. If you have not read those, please read them here (Part -1) and here (Part 2).

One of the types of Tambrahm mamas which I missed was “Saapatula kutham kandu pidikara mamas” which is also quite a common type. In fact if you ask mamis, they will say all mamas fall in this type. It is now widely known and accepted that Tambrahm mamas by and large are “Saapattu priyans”. They are so passionate about food that it also makes them very intolerant and nit pickers in matters of food. Whether at home or outside, you cannot stop a mama from judging the menu and food and delivering his judgement even if he has not touched a karandi in years.

Usually the rant starts with the menu itself. “Innikku enna, verum molagoottal thaana? Oru Rasam kisam kidayaatha?” For mamis, making molagoottal doubles up as a kootaan and a side dish and hence saves time and effort. It is equivalent to Upma for breakfast. If nothing else works out, Upma is always the omnipresent substitute, quick and simple to make. Same with molagoottal for lunch.

Mama: “Innikkum Upma’va? Oru Puttu/kittu pannina nanna irukkum”

Mami: Aamaam. Erkanave lockdown’la pootindu irukkom. Oraalukku ippo Puttu venamaam!”

After the menu, mama’s critique extends to the making and starts with the rice itself. “Enna innikku chaadam vegaama vethu vetha irukku?” Or “Enna innikku chaadam ore kozhanju irukku?” Enna mor kootaanukku Jaundice vantha madiri manjal kooduthala irukku?

Verumarisi adaila thenga pallu podalaya?

Then it gets to the taste and it is usually – “Enna rasathula uppu jaasthiya irukku? Sambhar’la perunkaayam orediya thookindu irukku? Even the curd that sets itself is not left out. “Enna thayir urayave illai? In the earlier generations, mamis got used to the rant, just ignored and kept quiet. But these days, mamis have their own pointed quips which land like precision guided missiles.

For the Sambhar’la perunkaayam question, the answer more likely from today’s mamis would be, “Naan konjama thaan potundu irunthen. Ungamma thaan Sambhar’la innum konjam pottukalaam’nnu sonnathu”! What seemed a wicket taking yorker has been despatched out of the park over the bowler’s head.

Similarly if the mama’s critique is “Enna, paal payasam konjam kozhuthundu irukku?” (Meaning it’s thick), the response would be “Ellam correcta thaan irukku. Ungalukku thaan konjam kozhuppu jaasthi aayirukku. Pona blood test’la cholesterol level jaasti’nnu kaamichuthe!” One more time, the mama has been “mankaded” that too with prior warning!

Of course, thenga pallu comment meets with a deadly answer always. “Namma palle innikko, naalaiko’nnu irukku. Ithula thenga pallu vera venama?

As I mentioned earlier, mamas cannot stop reacting to food because of their passion towards food. Also, one should blame it on their genes. Even if they don’t cook, most of the mamas score very high on theory as far as samayal matters are concerned. And even if they don’t go near the kitchen to save their lives, they will know what is “kambi paagu” consistency and all.

Tired of listening to “Suppudu” like critical comments for their samayal, I have often seen mamis issuing challenge to mamas – “Ivalavu vakkanaiya pesarele…. Oru naal samachu thaan kaattungalen…” This is like a deadly Doosra. Either you hit out or get out. There could be two scenarios here. One, the mama doesn’t accept the challenge to which mami’s reaction will be like, “Theory therinja mattum poraathu. Practicalaavum panna therinjurukanum!” Second, mama sportingly accepts the challenge and gothavula iranga thayaraagirathu.

I imagine the second situation and it will go most probably like this.

Mama: “O.k, enna menu venum?”

Mami:
“Ithu verayaa? Yetho Pattappa, Kochi Mani parambara’la vantha madiri enna kelvi? Ethu panna varumo, atha pannungo”

Mama
now takes the cue from mami’s book and decides to make what else but Molagoottal so that he doesn’t have to make Kootaan, Thoran and all separately. One Molagoottal, salad and one pickle will do the trick for a full meal along with thayir sadam.

Mama starts the cooking ordeal with cutting the vegetables which is preceded by a barrage of questions “Ithu enga irukku? Athu enga irukku? Yen kathi ivalavu monnaiya irukku?”

Mami: “Samayal panrathu oru naalaikku. Athukku kathi ivalavu sharp’a iruntha porum!”

The response cannot get sharper than this!

Mama: Thengai irukka?

Mami: Thengai thuruvi fridge’la vechurukene. Athaiye use pannungo.

Mama: Athu sari pattu varaathu. Fresh’a thenga chorandi’na thaan taste correct’a varum.”
Mama is now pushing his luck by displaying his strength in theory.

Mami: “Okaanthu turuvungo…. Enakenna. Thenga filterukku antha side’la irukku.”

Mama
starts the work with Sanjay Subramanyam’s Kharaharapriya on the loop in his ears and of course singing along.

Mami: Samayal panratha ippo ethukku paatellam? Athuvum onga kara kara voice’la?

Mama:
“Keertanai Kharaharapriya’ aache?”

Mami:
“Joke sahikala! Innikku mattum illa… neenga eppo paadinaalum Kharaharapriya thaan, athuvum srutiye illaama!”

Mama: “Nee ingarunthu po. Naan ellam pannittu koopadaren. Appo vantha porum.”
Mama doesn’t want mami to breathe down his neck while he struggles with his experiments, so to say.

Mami: “Seri, naan kulichuttu varen”!

Mama reaches out to the Arisi dabba to take out rice for keeping in the cooker. To his bad luck, the lid is loose and before he could realise what happened, rice is all over the kitchen. Now, the next task is to clean up the mess before mami comes out of the bath. So, the next few minutes goes in assiduously perukking and porukking the rice grains onnu vidaama from the floor and dumping it at the “bottom of the dust bin”. After it’s all done, a few additional minutes are spent in removing any evidence whatsoever left of the rice spilling episode. Mama is now in the mode of a murderer cleaning up all the evidences from a crime scene. I think this trait was what was showcased superbly in Michael Madana Kama Rajan in that epic “Meen” comedy scene!!

But as they say, every criminal always leaves a clue without him realising it. So, when mami comes back, her first question is, “Enna nadanthuthu inga? Door’ukku pinnaala arisi ellam kidakku?” I have always felt that most of the mamis are most qualified to be forensic experts and part of crime investigation departments in the world.

Mama: “Aaru unnai inga vara chonna? Inga onnum nadakallai. Nee hall’ukku poi WhatsApp paathundu iru.”

Mama
has now cut the vegetables for Molagoottal and kept it in gas with water for boiling. People who cook regularly know that it is advisable not to keep the stove in full burner but in medium always. Mama kept it in full burner and is now busy thuruving the coconut with his back to the stove. Soon, there is a burning smell which has now reached the adjacent room where mami is checking her WhatsApp. Mama, though in the kitchen, hasn’t yet caught up with the burning smell, merrily drowned in Sanjay Sub’s Nalinakanthi now.

Mami: Enna aduppula kariyarathu? Adi pidikara smell varathu???

Mama
by now realises that his deep diving into Manavyalakinchara has killed his Molagoottal and puts off the gas. Mami now has had enough of it.

Mami: Neenga samachathu ellam porum. Naane pannikiren. Neenga maarungo.

Multi-tasking is an art perfected by mamis into science.

She takes over the kitchen and makes good the Molagoottal with the partially burnt out vegetables etc.…. Salad is cut. One Puleeinji is also quickly added to the menu. And pappadam is fried.

It’s time for lunch now and …

Mama: Enna, molagoottal’a uppu konjam kammi’ya irukku?
Mylapore Sekhar will use it in his drama. Nice kavya chitram.

I tried to imagine the following conversation as a sequel to the abov Mama Samayal. But it did not come out as nicely as the above. Here is the same, since I had wastged time in writing it (my wife did not approve this):
சின்ன மாமா சீனு, கனகா மாமி கிட்டே கேக்கறார்- கனகனா.

மாமி- அசட்டு பிசட்டுனு ஐ லவ்யூன்னு சொல்ல வேண்டாம். நாலு பேர் கேட்டா சிரிக்கப் போறா கேட்டுக்கோங்கோள்..

மாமா சீனு :அதில்லை தங்கமே, உப்பு வெலை எப்ப குறைஞ்சுன்னு கேக்கத்தான் கூப்பிட்டேன் மாமா சீனு, . அதென்னது தங்கமே! புதுசா இருக்கே ? பாலகாட்டு தமிழ்லே மாமி கேட்டாள். வேளியிலே ஏதாவது வம்பை வெலைக்கு வாங்கிட்டேளா? எங்கப்பா அப்பவே சொன்னார்- மாப்பிள்ளைக்கு தூரப் பார்வை இருக்கலாம். அவர் சொன்னது சீனு மாமாவின் கண்ணாடி பத்தின செய்தி.
மாமி மொளகு கூட்டான்லே உப்பு கொஞ்சம் கூப் போட்டதைத் தான் நாசூக்க கேட்டார். ஆனால் ஆமாம்னு சொன்ன, அந்த அதிக உப்பை எடுக்க/குறைக்க பிரசவ கால பத்திய சாப்படை இப்ப பண்ண நேரம் ஏது?

அதான் நாசூக்கா மாமி பிளேட்டையே திருப்பினாள்.
பாலக்காட்டு பாட்டி பார்வதி, "கொழந்தே புருஷாளே எப்போதும் கைக்குள்ளே வச்சுக்கோன்னு" சொன்ன மந்திரோபுதேசத்தை மாமி மறக்கவே இல்லையே! இப்ப அந்த ஆயுதப்பிரயோகமே நடந்தது .
மாமா சீனு மாமாவுக்கும் அது தெரியுமே

Ha Ha. Thank you!
But ask for life time pass for his drama or a huge sum. You have the "it" to write to movie scenarios. Also, at the bottom of you page please put a (c) as a universal copy right, otherwise ethaththu maamaa Ekambram may send it to Tukloq and get reward. I ams ure your family and wife are very happy to see you this much jovial. Salutes to your description. Also, it seems you are an extrovert - a nice friend to have around at difficult times. :)=

That is our Indian tradition. What ever is mine is mine, whatever is yours is also mine. Illathava irukkaravaa kitte irunthu eduthundaa korainjaa pokum? இல்லாதவா இருக்கிறவாகிட்டே இருந்து எடுத்தா கொறைஞ்சா போயிடும்? The idea of copy right is some one stealing your idea making money and also claim a copy right on it so that even you can not use it (copy right theft by default). So, jus put (c) in your posts hoping one day you can monitize it. But please don' t tell that to your wife because she may say "Ungalukku ennaikume chamathu pothaathu) உங்களுக்கு என்னைக்குமே சமத்து போதாது- இதை பெண் பாக்கும்போதே ஏன் சொல்வதில்லை! ? - on the light side. My suggestion is to protect your right but jovial spread is actualy a feather in your cap in that you made many people to laugh aloud and you had nicely documented typical family conversation which will be a historical fact. We in general, do not document, thus loose valuable experiences. Thanks.

Thank you sir for the nice words! In my blog (https://tambrahmism.wordpress.com) I have included the copyright! But then, the content gets forwarded easily without due credits in Social media!
हास्यम् दुखः विनासम् । स्वाामि सर्व जीर्नान्ता. You have made this forum a real happy one . Of ocurse Mama may say: Anthakalaile, Neru enna pnnan theiryumaa? aamaam, nenkeena theriyum, appo naan proaakk kuuda illaiye enraal Maami.

That is our Indian tradition. What ever is mine is mine, whatever is yours is also mine. Illathava irukkaravaa kitte irunthu eduthundaa korainjaa pokum? இல்லாதவா இருக்கிறவாகிட்டே இருந்து எடுத்தா கொறைஞ்சா போயிடும்? The idea of copy right is some one stealing your idea making money and also claim a copy right on it so that even you can not use it (copy right theft by default). So, jus put (c) in your posts hoping one day you can monitize it. But please don' t tell that to your wife because she may say "Ungalukku ennaikume chamathu pothaathu) உங்களுக்கு என்னைக்குமே சமத்து போதாது- இதை பெண் பாக்கும்போதே ஏன் சொல்வதில்லை! ? - on the light side. My suggestion is to protect your right but jovial spread is actualy a feather in your cap in that you made many people to laugh aloud and you had nicely documented typical family conversation which will be a historical fact. We in general, do not document, thus loose valuable experiences. Thanks.
Romba Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

हास्यम् दुखः विनासम् । स्वाामि सर्व जीर्नान्ता. You have made this forum a real happy one . Of ocurse Mama may say: Anthakalaile, Neru enna pnnan theiryumaa? aamaam, nenkeena theriyum, appo naan proaakk kuuda illaiye enraal Maami.
"konjam intha kaalathukku vantha thevala!" - very often heard lines:) :)

"konjam intha kaalathukku vantha thevala!" - very often heard lines:) :)
Documenting such conversations brings back those nastolgia days. May look funny, but loaded with Human Indian Psychology. Please keep up the documentation. I get tired in writing but use to give Kathakalashepam to friends using such conversation. This Iyer-Iyngar house conversation is a special kind.
Thanks.

Dear Ananthakumar: We have different Tamil dialect – vocabulary and syntax based on districts, castes(unfortunate divisions) and so on. These dialogues should be documented and analyzed. I read two Cultural Anthropological articles about Madras Hindu Male Names and Madras Hindu Female names published around 1964-65 at a friends house. I am told one of this paper was used by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth as a standard reference for Madras Female names.

Another case, the linguistic atlas was created by another Brahman scholar and it showed how the words change with respect to streets as they move away from Brahman streets near the temples. After Brahman , Mudaliar, Pillai, Thevar, Konar… Harijan houses were situated. So, the scholar showed : Avaa (Brahman), Avaal (Mudaliar, Pillai), Avuha (Tevar, Konar..), Aviya – Nadar/ Harijan all for “They – அவர்கள். So, Mudaliar and Pillai closely followed the rituals of Brahmans(with some modification), and the changes moves on. This is not about castism, rather how habits and profession affect the vocabulary and it gives us to find some one to teach Tamil so that every one can speak some common words for real conversation.

Palakadu Tamil is hilarious some times. I was with a friend when he got married. A palakaatu Mami told the bride “munde eduthundupo - முண்டே எடுத்துண்டு போ, அதை மணப்பெண், முண்டே, எடுத்து்டு போன்னு அபசகுனமா பேசரா மாமி என்று அழ, மாமி- துவர்த்து முண்டு - துண்டு :டவலை எடுத்துண்டு போன்னுதானே சொல்ல, செம காமிடி. அதே போல இன்னொறு தமிழ் மணமகளிடம் தோட்டத்து முண்டை எடுக்கோ என்றதை, தோட்டத்திலிலே எங்கே முண்டை தேடணும்னு கேக்க, ஒரே களேபரம்தான். ஆக, ஒரு வார்த்தை பட்டியலும் கூடவே கொடுக்கலாம்.

Inter-caste marriage may also need this help. கோயம்புத்தூரில் நண்பர் கவுண்டர் வீட்டிலே கேட்டது- பூவா பாலை பீச்சிகிட்டுவா( மாட்டு பாலை கறந்து கொண்டுவா என்ற பொருள்) என்றால் மதுரைக்காரர் அரண்டுபோவார். சென்னை -கிருஷ்னா -> கெரசின் ஆயில்; வண்டி பூட்சா ->வண்டி பூடுத்தா -> வண்டி போயுடுத்தா -> வண்டி போயாச்சா?

Romba Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.
nanna iruke, ithekellam thenks ethukku chollanum? Konjama ore rendu veshitiyo illai oru kaanchevaram sariye anuppi iruntha thevalay. Hukkum. inthe maathi vaai paayasam paanaratukku onnum koraichal illai. Copi righunu pottu, elloorume kaapi kekka vantha nannaavaa irukkum? verumine, kaapi adikaathinga, ithu oru sartharukku chonthamnu poddudungo. onga vampu theenthaathu- karpnai maami.

Dear Ananthakumar: We have different Tamil dialect – vocabulary and syntax based on districts, castes(unfortunate divisions) and so on. These dialogues should be documented and analyzed. I read two Cultural Anthropological articles about Madras Hindu Male Names and Madras Hindu Female names published around 1964-65 at a friends house. I am told one of this paper was used by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth as a standard reference for Madras Female names.

Another case, the linguistic atlas was created by another Brahman scholar and it showed how the words change with respect to streets as they move away from Brahman streets near the temples. After Brahman , Mudaliar, Pillai, Thevar, Konar… Harijan houses were situated. So, the scholar showed : Avaa (Brahman), Avaal (Mudaliar, Pillai), Avuha (Tevar, Konar..), Aviya – Nadar/ Harijan all for “They – அவர்கள். So, Mudaliar and Pillai closely followed the rituals of Brahmans(with some modification), and the changes moves on. This is not about castism, rather how habits and profession affect the vocabulary and it gives us to find some one to teach Tamil so that every one can speak some common words for real conversation.

Palakadu Tamil is hilarious some times. I was with a friend when he got married. A palakaatu Mami told the bride “munde eduthundupo - முண்டே எடுத்துண்டு போ, அதை மணப்பெண், முண்டே, எடுத்து்டு போன்னு அபசகுனமா பேசரா மாமி என்று அழ, மாமி- துவர்த்து முண்டு - துண்டு :டவலை எடுத்துண்டு போன்னுதானே சொல்ல, செம காமிடி. அதே போல இன்னொறு தமிழ் மணமகளிடம் தோட்டத்து முண்டை எடுக்கோ என்றதை, தோட்டத்திலிலே எங்கே முண்டை தேடணும்னு கேக்க, ஒரே களேபரம்தான். ஆக, ஒரு வார்த்தை பட்டியலும் கூடவே கொடுக்கலாம்.

Inter-caste marriage may also need this help. கோயம்புத்தூரில் நண்பர் கவுண்டர் வீட்டிலே கேட்டது- பூவா பாலை பீச்சிகிட்டுவா( மாட்டு பாலை கறந்து கொண்டுவா என்ற பொருள்) என்றால் மதுரைக்காரர் அரண்டுபோவார். சென்னை -கிருஷ்னா -> கெரசின் ஆயில்; வண்டி பூட்சா ->வண்டி பூடுத்தா -> வண்டி போயுடுத்தா -> வண்டி போயாச்சா?
Another example of Tamil Vs Palakkad Tamil conflict - Mazhai thoorarathu (Tamil mami)
Thoorarathaa?? Mazhaiya??? - Loose motionaa? :) :) (Palakkad mami)

அதானே கேட்டேன், மாமி எடுத்த சொம்பை ஏன் வைக்கலைன்னு!
(பால் வாங்க கையிலே சொம்பை கைலை வச்சிண்டு மாமி நின்னதை பாத் ரூம் போகன்னு பாலக்காட்டு பாட்டி நெனைச்ச விதம்)

அதானே கேட்டேன், மாமி எடுத்த சொம்பை ஏன் கீழே வைக்கலைன்னு!
(பால் வாங்க கையிலே சொம்பை கைலை வச்சிண்டு மாமி நின்னதை பாத் ரூம் போகன்னு பாலக்காட்டு பாட்டி நெனைச்ச விதம்)

By far this section is the hilarious and uplifting. Worrying about national problems for which we do not solution nor will die to solve them or repeating the bad news about India (when did we hear the best news about India such as, Pichumani won a Nobel prize for making Mosquitos food for Indians?
Anatha you are the savier of this forum. GOD bless you and make yo share your funny scenatios.
Thanks

Anathakumar: Since you have a flare for Haasyam, you can also write what you had observed in marriages in old times such as, with Veetilai Pakku in the mouth, mama saying, . என்னாங்காணும்? மாப்பிள்ளை பம்பாய்க்கு போரானாமே! அங்கே எல்லாம் சந்தியாவந்தனம் எப்படி செய்வான்.ஆபீசிலே அதெல்லாம் செய்ய விடுவாளா? சேட்ஜி, இவன் ஏதோ அதர்வண வேதம் ஓதரான்னு நெனைச்சுண்டா ஆபத்தாச்சே! பேஷா இங்கேயே விட்டுப் போயிடுவான். வாத்தியார் பிரண்டு வெங்கடராமன், அம்பி மொத்த வருஷ தட்சிணையும் தந்துடு. மத்ததை நான் பாத்துக்கிறேன். தர்பை புல்லை கையிலே தந்து ஒரு சங்கல்பண்ணா போச்சுன்னாராம். பாத்தீரா ,கலிககாலம் முத்தி போச்சு. மாப்பிள்ளை குடுமியை எடுத்துட்டானாமே! ஏனாம். பம்பாயிலே குடுமி வச்சுண்டா தப்பா? அதில்லைங்காணும். நம்ம பொண்ணுதான் எடுக்கச் சொன்னாளாம். அட பாவமே! ஏங்காணும் என் தலையிலே இருக்கற பேனை எடுக்கவே நேரமில்லை, தலையை அரிக்கறதேன்னு அவன் சொன்னா அவன் தலைப் பேனையும்னா எடுக்கணும். மேலும், எண்ணை விக்கற வெலையிலே வாரம் ரெண்டு பேருக்கும் ஆழாக்கு எண்ணை வாங்கி கட்டுபடியாகுமா கோந்தைன்னு ஆத்துக்காரி வேற தூபம் போட்டா! அத்தோட குடுமி இருந்தா என்னா? ஜானவாசத்துக்கு மாப்பிள்ளை கோட்டு-சூட்டு போட்டுன்னாதான் நன்னாயிருக்கும் .அத்தோட, கோப்ரா ( )பிராண்டு ஷூ இருந்ததாத்தான் ஷோக்கா இருக்கும்னு அத்திம் வேரே தூபம் போட்டார். பொண்ணு அதை போட்டுக்க, குடுமி இருந்தா நன்னவா இருக்கும்னு கேட்டாளம். எல்லாம் பிராப்தங்காணும். மாப்பிள்ளை நன்னா ஆப்டுண்டானே!...

Add your observations please. This will uplifting foreign living Brahmin too!

Latest ads

Back