• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

maida maavu - do we know what it contains

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grand daughter wants her dosai crisp and crunchy
( just like my mom does!)

She has named it as crackers.
She will spit out any soft portion in it.

Whoever will guess that she wants dosai when she says she wants crackers??? :rolleyes:

She calls idli as four. whether it is because we make four idles in one plate or because she gets her idli cut into four pieces...
only she knows.

Even I loveee my dosais "muru muru" especially when i was little. I'm more adaptable now but my grandma and my mum used to be experts at making wafer thin dosais really crispy especially at the sides just the way i like it :). And even most TB houses they used to as well. Its really interesting that my other Tamil friends mums used to make their dosais fluffy, white and soft!

Different strokes for different folks eh??? :rolleyes:

Even I loveee my dosais "muru muru" especially when i was little. I'm more adaptable now but my grandma and my mum used to be experts at making wafer thin dosais really crispy especially at the sides just the way i like it :). And even most TB houses they used to as well. Its really interesting that my other Tamil friends mums used to make their dosais fluffy, white and soft!

chappaatu raami and bhojanappriyai of course! :high5:

I like chaappaatu raman and rami because they love what they eat and it makes the one who cooked the food happy.

Some others just shovel the food down their throats and leave the table with a deep grunt (of satisfaction or dissatisfaction?)
:noidea:

Is சாப்பாட்டு ராமன் the Tamizh version of bhojana priyan? :) and whats the female equiv?

Thank you for both the welcome and the info. I have learnt something new today!

Namaskarams,
KRS
Dear Sri KRS,

Namaste. Nice to see your post.

Well, Maida Flour is again a product of wheat only. A finely ground refined flour of wheat. In fact it replaced the good old Marican Maavu (American Maavu) which we used to import from America in olden days. That was the corn flour indeed.
Our grand mothers were great innovators, they used to make "marican maavu" Dosai, akin to the Maida-Rava Dosais of the present day.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Thank you Srimathi RR Ji. More learning on my part!

Namaskarams,
KRS
Dear Sir,

M M is made from wheat. Harmful chemicals are used to refine it and hence it may be hazardous to health.

We used the M M kanji to starch our cotton sarees during college days! The paste made from M M is very good to stick posters.

In K K Nagar post office, Chennai, the paste is kept to help the public stick stamps and seal the covers!

Regards...........

Ofcourse சாப்பாட்டு ராமி is the female equivalent for சாப்பாட்டு ராமன்.

Ha Ha!,

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

If we say "chaappaattu Seetha" it will insulting the trim, lovely and

beautiful goddess. So the word "chaappaattu Rami" so that the

meaning is clear- without offending our favourite goddess!

Thank you Srimathi RR Ji. More learning on my part!

Namaskarams,
KRS

One more use of maida maavu which comes in handy when non-stop chattering friends/ relatives visit our house. :rolleyes:

[ I know this by word of mouth :ear:
but never dared to try it in real life! :fear:]

Feed them with the maida halwa and you can enjoy the peace and quiet of your home as if no one else is there.
:tape:

1. Do we insult Lord Rama when we say 'ChAppAttu RAman'? I don't think so!

On his way back to Ayodhya, he ate yummy food in an ashram and hence the name would have been coined? May be.........

2. I heard in one discourse that AbirAmi means always beautiful.

So, chAppAttu rAmi is the one who looks beautiful while eating! Howzat?

( I have seen many persons who eat in a very clumsy way ..... Yuck...)

My dad used to add copper sulfate (Google does not allow the other spelling sulphate, which we learnt!) to the M M paste
so that, when we use it to bind books, cockroaches won't dare to eat the paste!! :peace:

Dear Sri KRS,

Namaste. Nice to see your post.

Well, Maida Flour is again a product of wheat only. A finely ground refined flour of wheat. In fact it replaced the good old Marican Maavu (American Maavu) which we used to import from America in olden days. That was the corn flour indeed.
Our grand mothers were great innovators, they used to make "marican maavu" Dosai, akin to the Maida-Rava Dosais of the present day.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri. Brahmanyar, Greetings.

I always mention the flour as 'mariccan maavu' while my wife mentioned it as 'maaida maavu'. I followed my grandmother though. She always said 'mariccan maavu dosai!".

Cheers!

Greetings.

I have seen majority posts here discussing use of 'maaida maavu' for making dosai.... actually, the same maaida maavu can be used for making sweets too.

But there is one more great use. Add l little water to maaida maavu and warm it up, constanly stirring it. Once it is evenly hot (in about 5 mointes), and when it is really hard to stir, stop stirring and quickly wash the stirrer if you want it back. This concotion makes a great gum. It is a great adhesive.

Cheers!

In the olden days, every other person was named Rama.

We have Parasu Rama, Balarama and Dasaratha Rama - three

out of 10 incarnations name as Rama.

That is a 30% distribution.

So Rama does not necessarily mean Raghu Rama.

But Seetha always means the lovely Goddess the wife of Rama.

1. Do we insult Lord Rama when we say 'ChAppAttu RAman'? I don't think so!

On his way back to Ayodhya, he ate yummy food in an ashram and hence the name would have been coined? May be.........

2. I heard in one discourse that AbirAmi means always beautiful.

So, chAppAttu rAmi is the one who looks beautiful while eating! Howzat?

( I have seen many persons who eat in a very clumsy way ..... Yuck...)

...... But there is one more great use. Add l little water to maaida maavu and warm it up, constanly stirring it. Once it is evenly hot (in about 5 mointes), and when it is really hard to stir, stop stirring and quickly wash the stirrer if you want it back. This concotion makes a great gum. It is a great adhesive.......
Dear Sir,

Probably you missed the posts # 40 and # 61?

Regards..........

As Raghy Sir says, M M is used to make many varieties of sweets and also savories!

Sweets..... Gulab jamoon, Badhusha, maida cakes, maida sweet biscuits, butter biscuits, regular cakes sold in shops to name a few

Savories.......... maida biscuits, maida onion cheedai, samosa to name a few. Steamed maida flour can replace rice flour for

making murukku, cheedai, thenkuzhal etc. They are yummy crispy too!!

dear sir !
when i received this article from my friend ,i forwarded it to my son .when i advised him not to take parrotta,his spontaneous reply was "if this is case with parotta -we may not have any thing to eat-since all proceesed with one or other chemical
guruvayurappan

not only gooey sickly look ,it might have been infected with cockkroch(living in karpa graham) smell .you must be careful while taking such prasatham like panjamirtham,thulasi ,abiseka milk since it is contaminated in majority of temples and should not blame GOD for negligence of man. panjamirtham and abiseka milk offered to utsavamoorthies can be consumed.

moru moru dosai for kadalai mavu sambar and chutni where as fluffy,white and soft dosa for milakai podi. athi athi oil il moki moki sapitungal.

chappaatu raami and bhojanappriyai of course! :high5:

I like chaappaatu raman and rami because they love what they eat and it makes the one who cooked the food happy.

Some others just shovel the food down their throats and leave the table with a deep grunt (of satisfaction or dissatisfaction?)
:noidea:

i have heard the term 'chappaattu rami' too. .... and along the same lines, we have a couple friend, the wife one day very upset. apparently the hubby ate first, and said he enjoyed the food after cleaning up his plate. only later, she found out that she had forgotten to add salt to the sambhar!

she wasnt sure if this guy really had no sense of taste, or was just scared to tell her (he is of timid disposition) :)

Last edited:
moru moru dosai for kadalai mavu sambar and chutni where as fluffy,white and soft dosa for milakai podi. athi athi oil il moki moki sapitungal.

kadalai maavu sambhar? first time i am hearing of it. does one just add kadalai maave for thickening?

also, do you grind 'eLLu' in your mologaappodi?

.. and mrs K adds a pinch of sugar at the end of the grinding process, only for the last grind..to moderate all the ingredients, she says. whatever it may be, the wee sugar, makes the podi divine.

Last edited:
kadalai maavu sambhar? first time i am hearing of it. does one just add kadalai maave for thickening?

also, do you grind 'eLLu' in your mologaappodi?

.. and mrs K adds a pinch of sugar at the end of the grinding process, only for the last grind..to moderate all the ingredients, she says. whatever it may be, the wee sugar, makes the podi divine.

Roasted ellu added to milagaaippodi makes it smell so good and inviting! :welcome:

You will end up eating half a dozen dosas / idlies before you realise it. :hungry:

I even add dried mint leaves and it adds a new dimension to the podi - a secret learned from my mother :)

So now tell me honestly ...

who could be the real chaappaattu Raami???
:rolleyes:

When kadalai maavu (besan) is added for thickening kuzhambu,

it becomes "stiff kuzhambu" - a name given to it

by my very imaginative second son!
:laser:

I know a family member who needs 3 teaspoonful sugar with every cup of coffee and too much salt with every other thing.

The poor wife had tough time since she will bloat like a balloon even on a salt restricted diet.

His blood pressure started soaring and he developed sensation. His Doctor advised him to go easy on salt.

Now he can't stand the sight of the salt shaker and finds fault with his wife for adding too much salt in the food!

Everything happened in less than a week!
Can you believe it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back