• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

maida maavu - do we know what it contains

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like ravaa too. crisp and not chewy. with pacchai molgai and onions (lots of it). this one HAS to be eaten hot. not even lukewarm, unlike MM dosai, which develops a new flavour, when cold :)

vaitheeswaran rules :) or to put it in my mom's words, வயத்தே கட்டிண்டு அலையறே!!

I have some qualms about how some restaurants can screw up a divine onion rava dosai.

I think the onion should be gently sauteed first BEFORE mixing it with the dough or before being sprinkled to the concoction on the tawa.

If it is 'pacchai onion' it is too raw and kills the taste.

I normally ensure that I tell the waiter of this requirement rather than regretting later!!

I have some qualms about how some restaurants can screw up a divine onion rava dosai.

I think the onion should be gently sauteed first BEFORE mixing it with the dough or before being sprinkled to the concoction on the tawa.

If it is 'pacchai onion' it is too raw and kills the taste.

I normally ensure that I tell the waiter of this requirement rather than regretting later!!

i make the batter plain; for rava dosai, we have to 'veesu' the maavu, and not 'vaakal' like regular dosai.

ie take it in a tumbler and literally splash it on the dosakkal. i then add chillies and onions on it. when i turn the dosai, the onions gets sauted... i dont know if sauteeing the onions prior to making the dosai, and soaking it in the maav will be good. havent done that. yet.

Can one make MM at home from wheat that we get in the grocery shop to avoid the effect of dangerous chemicals that the manufacturers use?

What about Rava and what is it made of? I should be allowed atleast to enjoy my Rava Dosai please

i like ravaa too. crisp and not chewy. with pacchai molgai and onions (lots of it). this one HAS to be eaten hot. not even lukewarm, unlike MM dosai, which develops a new flavour, when cold :)

vaitheeswaran rules :) or to put it in my mom's words, வயத்தே கட்டிண்டு அலையறே!!

Now you are talking, I am salivating, I do not want to drool on my keyboard.

I did have a good Rava dosai with lot of extra chilies at the Sarvana Bhavan in Toronto couple of years back.

I did have a good Rava dosai with lot of extra chilies at the Sarvana Bhavan in Toronto couple of years back.

I don't understand how people all like crispy foods. In our house, even at the hungriest times and within short notice, my mom made only rice/ramsam/veggie or home-made batter is always kept handy. She never made anything out of maida or rava. We have taken only rice upma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maida_flour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rava_(or_Suji)

Even now, I dont like the idea of crispy foods, I feel the food is bland without whole/half grains that give substance and green veggies (not just chillies). But my cousins just survive on vath-thal kozhambu and potato fry (Such a tasty/useless food!) Their puliyodarai/vadas would be dripping oil, and the chakkara-pongal would be dripping butter/loads of sugar. No need for more clues why our indians have become emotional, sensitive, demanding for illogical/useless reasons!

If someone is interested in volunteering in India, pl. make pamphlets and educate the members of our community orgs, schools, temples etc about healthy eating.

Along with the right food, Yoga would make wonderful nourishment to our body and mind. A video one must see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sT1--nX54&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
"ஒரு நாள் உணவை ஒழியென்றால் ஒழியாய்
இருநாளுக்கு ஏலென்றால் ஏலாய் - ஒருநாளும்
என்னோவு அறியாய் இடும்பைகூர் என்வயிறே
உன்னோடு வாழ்தல் அரிது"
என்ற அவ்வையாரின் பாடல்தான் நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது.

இந்த உரையாடல்களிருந்து ஒன்று மட்டும் தெரிகிறது நாம் சாப்பிடுவதற்காக வாழ்கிறோமா அல்லது வாழ்வதற்காக சாப்பிடுகிறோமா என்பது.

வாழ்க ஆரோக்கியம்!

suku, prasad, govinda,

my take on this is..

when you have max 2 rava or MM dosai once in 2 to 3 months, does it make a difference in enjoying it to the hilt?

i think it is not what you eat alone, that counts. it is how much.

we know someone here, hub and wife. they always claim that they eat right. macriobiotic. no fat. and everything that is right on the books. whenever they visit us, we make our healthy keerai mologaoottal & puli pacchadi, basically harmless. initially we used to make about 4 litres of each, with a view for leftovers.

guess what. after these two eat, nothing is left behind.

they always used to wonder why their weight never came down. i was only too polite to point out, it is not only the quality of the food, but also the quantity.

NSP. dosai made with kodumai maav is good too. it probably is safer. i like that one too, though for unknown reasons we never had it made except when there was a craving for dosai, and none of the other alternatives were available.

life is too short. enjoy it i say!!

suku, prasad, govinda,

my take on this is..

when you have max 2 rava or MM dosai once in 2 to 3 months, does it make a difference in enjoying it to the hilt?

i think it is not what you eat alone, that counts. it is how much.

life is too short. enjoy it i say!!

That's o.k, but pl. change your motto a lit bit, for the sake of spoiled people as " Life is too short, Eat healthy, but enjoy once a while!'

Hey guys,

I thought 'Maida Maavu' was corn flour, not semolina (rava). Am I wrong?

Regards,
KRS

Hey guys,

I thought 'Maida Maavu' was corn flour, not semolina (rava). Am I wrong?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS,

Namaste. Nice to see your post.

Well, Maida Flour is again a product of wheat only. A finely ground refined flour of wheat. In fact it replaced the good old Marican Maavu (American Maavu) which we used to import from America in olden days. That was the corn flour indeed.
Our grand mothers were great innovators, they used to make "marican maavu" Dosai, akin to the Maida-Rava Dosais of the present day.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

....... I thought 'Maida Maavu' was corn flour, not semolina (rava). Am I wrong?....
Dear Sir,

M M is made from wheat. Harmful chemicals are used to refine it and hence it may be hazardous to health.

We used the M M kanji to starch our cotton sarees during college days! The paste made from M M is very good to stick posters.

In K K Nagar post office, Chennai, the paste is kept to help the public stick stamps and seal the covers!

Regards...........

Besides everyone seems to have a secret weakness

for the multi purpose maida maavu. :hungry:

During the intervals between the fights :boxing:

we will relax and enjoy maida dosai.

It will nourish us and prepare us for the next bout.
:cool:

Dear Sis,

Our members can't be fighting all the time. We too need some relaxation. M M comes in handy because it is versatile!!

R R :couch2:

visa, raji,

nothing like hot maida maavu dosai. have you noticed, that without any condiments, if eaten plain, the thing simply melts in your mouth?

Oh boy! You are a connoisseur of food! :clap2:

If I use the Tamil equivalent you will become angry :mad2:

all over once again! :fear:

Can one make MM at home from wheat that we get in the grocery shop to avoid the effect of dangerous chemicals that the manufacturers use?

What about Rava and what is it made of? I should be allowed atleast to enjoy my Rava Dosai please

Dear Mr. NSP,

There are some white poisons which everyone eats willingly!

1. refined sugar as white as it could be.

2. white rice which contains nothing but starch

3. white refined flour maida maavu

4. the regular table salt (which does not contain iodine)

If it is O.k. we can also add one more item

5. girls as white as snow white

They look good but they remain regal all their lives.

You can replace the girl by a cat and the husband by the master

to understand what I mean by regal behaviour.

My grand daughter wants her dosai crisp and crunchy
( just like my mom does!)

She has named it as crackers.
She will spit out any soft portion in it.

Whoever will guess that she wants dosai when she says she wants crackers??? :rolleyes:

She calls idli as four. whether it is because we make four idles in one plate or because she gets her idli cut into four pieces...
only she knows.

We eat to live so that
we can live to eat
more fancy foods!

"ஒரு நாள் உணவை ஒழியென்றால் ஒழியாய்
இருநாளுக்கு ஏலென்றால் ஏலாய் - ஒருநாளும்
என்னோவு அறியாய் இடும்பைகூர் என்வயிறே
உன்னோடு வாழ்தல் அரிது"
என்ற அவ்வையாரின் பாடல்தான் நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது.

இந்த உரையாடல்களிருந்து ஒன்று மட்டும் தெரிகிறது நாம் சாப்பிடுவதற்காக வாழ்கிறோமா அல்லது வாழ்வதற்காக சாப்பிடுகிறோமா என்பது.

வாழ்க ஆரோக்கியம்!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back