• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

MahAperiyavA's teachings and messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

""பொட்டலத்தில் என்ன இருக்கிறது?” மகான் கேட்கவும் இல்லை பார்க்கவும் இல்லை""

மகாபெரியவா எப்போது எந்த பக்தனுக்கு எந்த பக்தைக்கு அருள் பாலிப்பார் என்று யாருக்குமே தெரியாது தம் முன் நிற்கும் பக்தர்களின் மன ஓட்டம் எப்படி இருக்கும் என்பதைத் துல்லியமாக அறிந்த மகா பிரபு அவர் .

புதுக்கோட்டை ராதா ராமமூர்த்தி எனும் பக்தையின் அனுபவம் இதற்கு ஒரு சான்று
தொடர்ச்சியாக ஸ்ரீமடத்திற்கு வந்து மகானை தரிசித்து மகிழ்ச்சியில் திளைத்துக் கொண்டு இருப்பவர் . மகானை தரிசிக்க செல்லும் போதெல்லாம் அவருக்கு முன் எதையாவது சமர்ப்பிக்க வேண்டும் என்று காணிக்கையை எடுத்துப் போவதில் அந்த பக்தைக்கு அதீத மகிழ்ச்சி.
ஒரு முறை தரிசனத்திற்குப் போகும் போது தன் மனதில் தோன்றியபடி, சிறிய அருகம்புல் மாலையைத் தொடுத்து ஓரத்தில் அரளிப் பூவை பார்டர் ஆக அமைத்து அழகிய மாலையாக தொடுத்தார், மாலையோடு கொஞ்சம் கல்கன்ன்டும் எடுத்துக் கொண்ட அந்த பக்தை, இரண்டையும் தனித்தனி பொட்டலங்களாக கட்டி தரிசனத்திற்கு சென்றபோது மகானின் முன் வைத்து சமர்பித்தார் எட்ட நின்று தரிசித்தார் .
அதை எப்போது எடுத்துக் கொள்ளப் போகிறாரோ என்று கத்துக் கிடந்த பக்தைக்கு ஏமாற்றம் தான் மிஞ்சியது, இரண்டு பொட்டலங்களையும் சற்று தூரம் தள்ளி வைத்து விட்டார் , மகான் அதில் என்ன இருகின்றது என்றும் பார்க்கவில்லை, அது யாருடைய கண்களுக்கும் புலப்படவில்லை.

அதற்குள் இருப்பதை மகான் அறிவார் என்பதை நினைத்துகொண்டு பக்தை ஓரமாக நின்றுகொண்டிருந்தார், எட்டு மணிக்கு வந்த பக்தை மணி பத்து ஆகியும் அப்படியே நின்று மகான் அவர் காணிக்கையை ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளும் வரை அங்கிருந்து நகருவதில்லை என்ற உறுதியோடு இருந்தார் என்றே சொல்லலாம்.

சுமா பத்து மணிக்கு ஒரு பெண் மகானை தரிசிக்க வந்தார் அந்த பெண்மணி கையில் ஒரு வெள்ளிக் கவசம், பிள்ளையாருக்கு போட்ட வேண்டிய கவசம் மகானின் உத்திரவுப்படி அந்தபெண்ணின் ஊர்கோவிலில் பிள்ளையாருக்கு மிகவும் நேர்த்தியான வேலைப்பாட்டுடன் செய்யப்பட்டு இருந்தது , மகா பெரியவர் அனுக்கிரகத்திற்காக அதை கொண்டு வந்து இருந்தார் .

அந்தக் கவசத்தை தன் கையில் வாங்கிய மகான் தன் மடியில் வைத்துக் கொண்டார் , பிறகு மடத்து சிப்பந்தியை அழைத்து எட்ட இருந்த இரு பொட்டலங்களைக் காட்டி “அதை எடு ” என்றார் .

ராதா ராமமூர்த்தியை தவிர அந்த பொட்டலத்தில் என்ன இருக்கிறது என்பது யாருக்கும் தெரியாது அல்லவா
அதில் ஒரு பொட்டலத்தை பிரிக்கச் சொன்னபோதுதான் வெள்ளிப் பிள்ளையார் கவசத்திற்கே சொல்லி வைத்தாற்போல் ஒரு அருகம்புல் மாலை அதிலிருந்ததை எல்லாரும் கண்டனர்

இதில் அதிசயம் என்னவென்றால் ”பொட்டலத்தில் என்ன இருக்கிறது?” மகான் கேட்கவும் இல்லை பார்க்கவும் இல்லை ஆனால் அது பிள்ளையாருக்கு உரிய மாலை என்று எப்படி தீர்மானித்தார்? அதுதான் மகாபெரியவாளின் அருட்பார்வை

மாலையை அந்த வெள்ளிக் கவசத்திற்கு மகான் சாத்தியபோது கச்சிதமாக அந்த பிள்ளையாருக்கே அளவெடுத்து தொடுத்தது போல் அமைந்திருந்தது. மாலையுடன் அந்த வெள்ளிக் கவசத்தை தமது திரு மார்பில் பொருத்தி வைத்துக் கொண்டு நாலா புறமும் திரும்பி திரும்பி ஸ்ரீபெரியவா தரிசனம் கொடுத்தபோது எல்லா பக்தர்களுக்கும் அது ஆனந்தமாக இருந்தது ஆனால் ராதா ராமமூர்த்தி
என்ற பக்தைக்கு அந்த ஆனந்தம் பன்மடங்கு அதிகமாக இருந்தது .

எங்கிருந்தோ வந்த புதுக்கோட்டை ராதா என்னும் பக்தை மனதில் மகானுக்கு அருகம்புல் மாலையைச் சமர்பிக்க வேண்டும் என்று தோன்ற வேறொரு பக்தை அதேசமயம் வெள்ளிப் பிள்ளையார் கவசத்தை கொண்டுவந்து மகானின் அனுக்கிரகம் பெற வந்து நிற்க, பொட்டலத்தில் என்ன இருக்கிறது என்று தெரியாதவராக இரண்டு மணி நேரம் மகான் நாடகமாட ஆனால் எல்லாம் இதற்குதான் என்று இரு பக்தைகளின் மனபூர்வமான பக்திக்கு அங்கீகாரம் அளித்தது போன்று அமைந்தது இந்த சம்பவம்.

ஹர ஹர சங்கர ஜெய ஜெய சங்கர !!

Source: Siva sankaran / Brahmana Sangam / Face Book

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Do Snanam Ten Feet Away!

This happened in the year 1988. I was employed in a Bank and official responsibilities required me to travel to many places as a part of work. Once when I returned to Chennai after an official tour, I developed an allergy problem which resulted in boils and red bruises developing all over my body. Even a small amount of dust and eating certain vegetables aggravated the same.

It initially started with small boils but soon spread all over the body including my hands, legs and face, causing itching sensation on the entire body. This resulted in me taking leave of absence from office very often. None of the treatments that I underwent proved helpful. At last, I prayed to Paramacharya, Sri Maha Periyava but even that did not yield any positive result. I reconciled to the fact that I had to live the rest of my life with this disease.

One day, my friend Sri.Srinivasan, an auditor, asked if I am willing to travel to Kurnool where Sri Maha Periyava was to begin the Chatur Masya fasting in Kurnool. What more could one want? Here I was being given “sugarcane to eat and in addition, being paid for eating also”. I immediately agreed to go with him. Secondly I also thought I could personally explain and appeal to Sri Maha Periyava regarding my health problem.

We reached Kurnool with plenty of luggage which included vegetables and provisions. We engaged a cycle rickshaw to take us to the place where Sri Maha Periyava had established His temporary camp. It was a pleasant experience as the riksha puller did not even demand or ask for any specific fare and happily took us.

Maha Periyava was camping in a cotton ginning mill, which was lacking in necessary facilities for a comfortable stay. However the owner of the Ginning Mill was a staunch devotee of Periyava and out of reverence he had for Maha Periyava, had closed the mill stopping all production activities for over four months to make arrangements for Sri Maha Periyava’s stay.

After unloading our baggage and other items, we informed Balu Mama regarding our arrival. He went inside to inform Maha Periyava of the same. He then came out and informed us that Maha Periyava would be proceeding to the river for His “Anushtanam” (Holy Bath) and also had asked both of us to have bath in the river after which we could come for Darshan.

We told Balu Mama that we had already taken bath in the Railway retiring room. However Balu Mama strictly asked us to go to the river and have our bath in the river water.

I found myself already developing red boils and bruises all over my body due to the dust in the Ginning mill. I also did not carry the ‘Cetzine’ tablet with me nor could I find any Pharmacy, nearby.

Since I did not know what to do, I decided to place my entire faith on Maha Periyava and decided that whatever happens, His Holiness Maha Periyava will take care of me. So I followed Maha Periyava to the river bank chanting ‘Hara Hara Shankara’ and offering a silent prayer in my mind to Maha Periyava to cure my ailment.

We reached the river bank. I found the river calm, the water flow was also normal and water was flowing in three divided streams. Maha Periyava stepped into the water and commenced his ‘Anushtanam’ (Holy Bath). I did not immediately step into the river and continued to remain on the river bank. I felt that I should have my bath after Maha Periyava completes His ”Anushtanam’ and hence waited. Maha Periyava who was taking his Holy Bath suddenly looked at me standing on the bank of the river called Balu Mama and said something. Balu Mama immediately climbed the river bank and told me that Maha Periyava has asked me to take bath. I asked Balu Mama as to where I should bathe as I did not want the water which I had bathed to reach and touch the Holiness. Balu Mama asked me to stand about 10 feet away from Sri Maha Periyava on the downstream side of the river. I immediately stepped in to the water at the place indicated on the downstream side and started bathing. Red boils and rashes had now formed all over my body and I could feel my whole body itching and burning as the cold water touched my body. Still I immersed myself fully in to the water. It was at this time that a thought struck me like a bolt and understanding came to me.

By that time Maha Periyava had completed his Holy Bath and stepped out of the river and commenced chanting of Mantra (japam). I also stepped out of the water and I could feel that the burning sensation in my body had reduced and the red boils and bruises also had lessened in intensity. I changed in to dry clothes and began apply “Vibhuthi” to begin my afternoon religious routines. Balu Mama came to me and handed over some “Vibhuthi” which was left after Maha Periyava had applied for Himself. Balu Mama informed that Maha Periyava had asked me to apply the “Vibhuthi” all-over my face, hands, shoulders and chest. I did as I was told. Then we all returned to the Cotton Mill and participated in the prayers.

On completion of prayers I approached Sri Maha Periyava to seek His blessings and Holy water. I suddenly realised that I did not have any boils or bruises on my body and the itching sensation also had disappeared. As Maha Periyava blessed me and offered the Holy water, He asked me, “Has the purpose for which you have come been accomplished?” Something struck me hard in my mind and I realised that it was the river water which flowed downstream towards me after flowing and touching Maha Periyava’s Holier than the Holy body and the “Vibhuthi” He offered to me to apply all over my body that had cured my disease. That too, I had never even mentioned anything to Maha Periyava, not even a word about my ailment.

Tears were streaming from my eyes as I fell flat on His feet to seek His blessings. I told Sri Maha Periyava that with His blessings and kindness my purpose had indeed been accomplished and we left His presence.

I asked my friend, Sitaraman how Maha Periyava could have come to know about my ailment, when I had not uttered a word to Him about the same. Sitaraman said, “Sri Maha Periyava is able to perceive and know the hardships, problems and ailments of His devotees even before they come to know about them”.

On that day my ailment was washed away by the waters of the Kurnool River. Till today, I am freed of that dreadful ailment even if I find myself in any dirty, dusty or filthy surroundings or eat vegetables such as brinjal etc, which normally used to trigger the rashes and boils. Never a day of Aradhana of Maha Periyava passes when I do not reverently remember, recollect and ponder about this incident and the ever flowing benevolence of Sri Maha Periyava.

Source: Harish Sharma / Brahmana Sangam / Face book

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of Maha Periyava's discourses he has clearly identified that Hinduism (ism==belief) is merely a philosophy based on the Vedic Religion. Hindu is just the name given to people who were living on the Indus Valley. Some how today all over the world Hindu is treated as a religion. The real religion according to Maha Periyava is called Vedic Religion or a Religion that is in accordance with the Vedas.

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Give grass, the sins will go away!

A rich devotee sent a friend in his car to an outstation on an errand of his. Unfortunately, there was an accident on the way causing heavy damage to the car, and the friend passed away immediately.

There was no end to the grief this caused to the devotee. His remorse that a family lost its head because of him did not let him rest in peace. He donated plenty of cash to the family, but then how would the cash compensate their loss?

The devotee was in doubt if the Brahmahatya dosha (the sin of killing a Brahman) had befallen him.

There was no way to share his mental anguish with anyone and seek shastra pramana (scriptural authority) consultations.

So he came to the supreme authority.

Sri Maha Periyava patiently listened to everything the devotee told him. Then he said, "The car accident was predestined. There is no bad intention in your thoughts. Somehow, your mind is now burdened with restlessness. Besides, you are also at the receiving end of the society's accusation.

"To start with, you do Sethu snanam (bathing in the sea waters at Rameswaram). Get up before the sunrise and give grass to a cow that goes in the street, have daily Shiva darshan and do pradakshina in the temple, eat only one meal a day. Do all these things, and the guilt and sin will go away from you."

Satisfied, the devotee received the prasadam, but stood hesitant.

Periyava's look asked him "What other doubt you have?"

"All the other things can be done, but it does not seem possible to give grass to a cow. I am in a city where cows don't go around the streets in the mornings."

Pat came the reply. "So what? There will be a goshala (cow shed) somewhere around? You have a car. Get up at five in the morning, go by car to the goshala and feed all the cows in the shed with grass."

The devotee was fully consoled, his sorrow giving way to peace.

Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal
Compiled by Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava - Kanchi Paramacharya/Fb

விளக்கமாகப் பொழிந்து தள்ளியதைக் கேட்டவர்கள் பாக்யசாலிகள்.

Hello Veteran RR,
Can you explain to this newbie to TB, how to insert tamil script like you and many others have done in replying to these forums? Do I have to type it separately in some other software and then cut and paste it here? I would much prefer to do it directly here. Kindly explain.

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Periyava's gentle reprimand

It was the auspicious Friday in the month of Avani (August-September) when women worship Varalakshmi in an elaborate manner. As usual Sri Maha Periyava was performing the ritualistic worship. The abishekha of Tripurasundari and Sri Chandramouleeswara were completed, the deities were decorated and archana also performed. The next part of the worship was the offering of incense and lamps followed by the offering of cooked food. Coconuts had to be broken and offered before doing other formalities. But they were not to be found near the puja altar, where they were usually placed. The attendant in charge of the puja hall was shocked for a moment. Five or six coconuts were needed at once.

A thought struck him and he ran to the kitchen, picked up some coconuts and after breaking them there rushed back with the halved ones to the place of worship. Even then, the food offering was delayed by a few minutes. The worship came to a final close finally.

Periyava did not ask anyone, "Why the delay in fetching the coconuts?" He did not get up and go for bhiksha. He sent for the Manager who came and stood before him in a respectable attitude. He felt it in his bones that a storm was about to break, for the news of the delay in the appearance of the coconuts during puja had reached him by then. He wondered who was going to be shown the door.

"Do you know what festival it is today?"

"Varalakshmi puja".

"Do you perform the puja in your house?"

"Yes".

"Do you buy screw-pine flowers, fruits, coconut and all other accessories?"

"I do"

"You have money. You can afford to buy these things. What will those without money do?"

There was no reply.

"Look. The attendants in the Matham are all very poor. They get a meagre salary. They cannot afford to buy fruits
and coconuts. So what you must do is, on festival days such as Varalakshmi puja. Ganesha Chaturthi, Gokulashtami and so on, give them coconuts, fruits and vegetables. During Sankranti, an extra share of sugarcane, ginger and turmeric-clusters should be bought and distributed to all the attendants of Sri Matham".

"As commanded", said the Manager.

"Otherwise the articles stored for Chandramouleeswara puja will vanish mysteriously!"

The gentle stroke fell upon everyone without really hurting anyone.

Source: Maha Periyava Darisana Anubhavangal thro Bhahmana Sangam/Subramanyam Davangere

Hello Veteran RR,
Can you explain to this newbie to TB, how to insert tamil script like you and many others have done in replying to these forums? Do I have to type it separately in some other software and then cut and paste it here? I would much prefer to do it directly here. Kindly explain.

There are lot of sources.

To start with, you can try this link:
http://tamil.indiatyping.com/

Thank You Balasubramanian,
Yes that is useful.
However, I found a Tamil (US) keyboard add on to my Windows10 OS.
It allows me to directly type phonetically in English and it keeps converting it to Tamil as you type. You see the tamil characters only on the screen.
e.g.
You switch to that particular keyboard and type as follows
"thaangaL anuppiya link mikavum upyogamaaka irunthathu"
And you get
"தாங்கள் அனுப்பிய லின்க் மிகவும் உபயொகமாக இருந்தது”

The only problem is to get the correct "ன" like in the last word above.
There is no cut and paste here. Just remeber to switch keyboards, that’s all

Experiences with MahaPeriyava: Prayaschittam for going abroad!

By the blessings of SriMaha Periyava, I have been able to do brain operations in India continuously in the government General Hospital in Madras from1964 to 1992 and after I retired from government service, I have been inprivate hospitals for more than a decade.

What is perhaps equallyimportant is that I have been able to involve throughout these forty years intraining several dozens of young doctors in neurosurgery in the GeneralHospital, Chennai from 1964 to 1992 and in Apollo Hospital, Chennai recognizedfor DNB qualification in neurosurgery from 1992 onwards.

In those days when aBrahmin boy went abroad and returned he was supposed to go to Rameswaram andhave a bath in the ocean for purification. Somehow although we are an orthodoxfamily, I could not do this. Soon after my return I had to undergo surgery forhernia.

Then I got married. Later I became very busy in hospital work and Icould never get the time to plan a trip to Rameswaram.

Sometime in 1975 I went toKancheepuram with my younger sister and niece to have darsanam of MahaPeriyava. By that time I had already been abroad several times. An elderlyBrahmin gentleman who had just come from Nigeria was present too to havedarshan. There was a crowd of about sixty or seventy persons and Maha Periyavatalked for about an hour on my problem of going to Rameswaram.

I am giving below the gistof the conversation His Holiness had with me.

His Holiness, whileaddressing the crowd of devotees: “This elderly gentleman had come from Nigeriato ask me if he should do Prayaschittam for going abroad”. Turning to me hesmiled “Probably, Kalyanaraman also had come because he has a selfish interestin this as to whether he should also go to Rameswaram”.

His Holiness: “How manyversions of Ramayanam are there in India?”

SKR: “Probably about ahundred”.

His Holiness: “There areabout 300 languages and dialects in this country and probably an equal numberof versions of Ramayanam. How did Rama and Sita return from Lanka to Ayodhya?”

SKR: “By Pushpakavimanam”.

His Holiness: “That isright. It is very interesting that neither in Valmiki Ramayanam nor in any ofthe other 300 versions of Ramayanam there is any mention that Rama and othersdid prayaschittam after returning from Lanka. You may say that they travelledby air and prayaschittam is required only if you travel by sea.

Then He mentioned the nameof a Frenchman and asked if I had heard about him. I replied in negative.

His Holiness: “This man wasa historian. He lived in India at the time of early Chola kings. At that timeone of the daughters of the reigning King could not get suitable bridegroom inIndia. In those days Hindu Kings were ruling over countries now known asCambodia, Thailand, and Indonesia etc.” Have you been to Bangkok?

SKR: Yes.

HH: “Have you been to thefamous Buddha temple there, which contains many pictures depicting the story ofRamayana in the prakarams of the temple?”

HH: “So the Chola king insouth India chose a prince in Cambodia as his son-in-law. The prince came toIndia and married the princess. The royal couple accompanied by a large retinueof purohits, maids in waiting and servants returned by ship to the bridegroom’skingdom. After staying a few days there the purohits returned by ship to India.This French historian has given a very detailed day by day account of thismarriage in his book. He has not mentioned that the purohits did Prayaschittameither on reaching Cambodia or on returning to India.

Then His Holiness asked me:“How long does it take to go to America nowadays?

SKR: It would take abouteighteen hours and if there is a break of journey in London about twenty fourhours.

Then His Holinessenlightened us:

That is the real point. Inthe Shastras it has been specifically stated that if one did not donityakarmanushtanam (daily religious rituals like sandhya vandanam,samitadanam, agnihotram) for three days continuously one had to doprayaschittam. In those days practically everyone did their daily religiousduties. The only time they could not do so was when they travelled by sea aspure fresh water was not available for bath. That is why if they travelled by sea(for more than three days), they had to do prayaschittam. Probably the purohitsreached Cambodia in two days and Rama reached Ayodhya in a few hours.Therefore, there was no need for prayaschittam.

If you apply that ruletoday, then some people in the present audience will need to do prayaschittamseveral times a year for omitting to do sandhya vandanam for three days insuccession! One need not go abroad to qualify oneself for doing prayaschittam!

This is again a remarkableexample of how His Holiness interprets the scriptures and gives simpleanecdotes step by step to illustrate the point discussed, to a lay audience.Needless to say I was very much relieved that I had not “sinned” by not goingto Rameswaram! The occasion also reinforced my resolve never to omit SandhyaVandanam or reciting the Gayathri manthram even for a single day.

His Holiness continued:

Some people say that you should do prayaschittam only if you go to anotherisland. Is Africa an island?

His Holiness: No, Africaand Asia form single large mass of land. Only about a hundred years ago whenthe Suez Canal was dug by the Englishman, it technically became an island.

In fact Australia, Asia,Africa and Europe were all one large land mass and in the millions of yearsthat have gone by, the land mass drifted away from one another with the oceanscoming in between them and formed individual continents.

Here again was anotherexample of the vast knowledge of history, geography and geology that

His Holiness had mastered.

He concluded by saying thatneither the gentleman from Nigeria nor Dr. Kalyanaraman need to doprayaschittam because they have travelled for less than three days to reachIndia but everyone certainly had to do it if they had omitted Sandhya Vandanamfor three days or more!

Author: ProfS.Kalyanaraman, Neurosurgeon, Chennai

Source: Subramanyam Davangere/Brahmana Sangam/facebook

FullPeriyval.jpg
This is painting I did of MahaPeriyava in 1969 when I was in college. Its piercing eyes came out so beautiful that it send a tingle through my spine when I see it. It adorns our puja room today. I hope you feel the same way too!

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

"பிரும்ம வித்தைக்கும் வரகூர் உறியடிக்கும் முடிச்சு"
((வரகூர் உறியடி (இவ்வருடம் 26-08-2016)
(வேதம் பிரும்ம வித்தை. வேதம் படிக்க குழந்தைகள்
வருவதே அபூர்வம். இருக்கிற குழந்தைகளையும்
போகச் சொல்லிட்டா, எப்படி.?")
சொன்னவர்; ஸ்ரீமடம் பாலு.
தொகுப்பாளர்;டி.எஸ்.கோதண்டராம சர்மா
தட்டச்சு;வரகூரான் நாராயணன்.
மறு பதிவு-

ரிக்வேத கனபாடிகள் ஒருவர் தன்னுடைய ஐந்து
மாணவர்களுடன் பெரியவாளிடம் வந்தார்.
கற்றுக் கொண்ட பாடத்தில் ஒரு பகுதியைப்
பெரியவா முன்னிலையில் சொல்லிக் காட்டச் சொன்னார்.
ஸ்வரம், அபஸ்வரமாக இருந்தது.அத்துடன் மாணவர்களுக்கு சம்ஸ்க்ருத ஞானமும் குறைவாக இருந்தது.
"குழந்தைகளுக்கு வேதம் கற்றுக் கொடுப்பது ரொம்பச் சிரமம்,இங்கிலீஷ் படிப்புக்கு அனுப்பி விடலாம்"என்றார் கனபாடிகள்.
பெரியவா அவரை உட்காரச் சொன்னார்கள்.
"கனபாடிகளே, உலகத்திலே எல்லாக் காரியங்களும்
சிரமம் தான்.!..சமையல் செய்வது சிரமம்...அடுப்பு மூட்டணும்உலை வைக்கணும்,கஞ்சி வடிக்கணும்,கறிகாய் நறுக்கணும், வேக வைக்கணும்...
"துணி தோய்ப்பது சிரமம் - தோய்த்து, அலசி,பிழிந்து,உதறி உலர்த்தணும். எல்லாமே சிரமம்.
"வரகூர் உறியடி உத்ஸவம்னு கேள்விப்பட்டிருப்பேளே.?
சறுக்கு மரம் ஏறி மேலே கட்டியிருக்கிற மூட்டையை
எடுக்கணும்.சறுக்குமரத்திலே கத்தாழை,
விளக்கெண்ணெய்பூசியிருப்பா. ஒரே வழவழப்பு. ஏறவே முடியாது....அது தவிர, பீச்சாங்குழல் மூலம் தண்ணீர் அடிப்பார்கள்! ரொம்பச் சிரமம்.
"ஆனாலும் வழுக்கு மரத்தில் ஏறி வெற்றி பெறணும்னு,
எக்கச்சக்கமா போட்டா போட்டி.!..கடைசியிலே யாரோ
ஒருவர் உறியடி செய்து ஜெயிப்பார்.
"கொஞ்சம் பிரயாசை எடுத்து முயற்சி பண்ணினால்,
குழந்தைகள் நன்றாக வேதம் கற்றுக் கொள்வார்கள்.
வேதம் பிரும்ம வித்தை. வேதம் படிக்க குழந்தைகள்
வருவதே அபூர்வம். இருக்கிற குழந்தைகளையும்
போகச் சொல்லிட்டா, எப்படி.?"
ரிக்வேத வாத்தியாருக்குப் பெரியவாளுடைய அறிவுரை
உயர்ந்ததாகப் பட்டது. தன் சிரமத்தைப் பாராட்டாமல்
முழு ஆர்வத்துடன் மாணவர்களுக்குப் பாடம்
சொல்லிக் கொடுக்கத் தொடங்கினார்.
ஐந்து ஆண்டுகள் கழிந்தன. வேத ரக்ஷண நிதி டிரஸ்ட்
நடத்தும் பரீக்ஷைக்கு ஐந்து மாணவர்களும் வந்து
பரீக்ஷை கொடுத்தார்கள்.
ரிக்வேத பரீக்ஷையில் ஐந்து பேருமே முதல் வகுப்பில்
தேர்ச்சி பெற்றார்கள். அதற்கான கணிசமான
சம்பாவனையும் பெற்றார்கள்.
ஆசிரியரின் முயற்சி வீண் போகவில்லை என்பதை
சிஷ்யர்கள் நிரூபித்தார்கள்.
பெரியவாளுடைய வாக்குப் பலிதமாகாமல் போகுமா.?

Source: Varagooran Narayanan/ Face Book

Thank you Balasubramani Sir for that beautiful anecdote.
Maha Periyava always stressed கடமை and முயர்ச்சீ as the two important
characteristics to develop in children and adults alike.
A teacher's ardent duty and a student's relentless effort will always be successful.

According to "SriVaishnavism Practises" website, Gayathri Manthra is not recommended for chanting by women. What was MahaPeriyava's teachings on that subject. Was there an alternate manthra with "Shreem Hreem.... Maha Lakshmyai/Maha Shakthyai/Maha Saraswathiyai Namah" of some sort?

Dear Balasubramani,
Thanks for the links.
They are excellent references for the subject.
How we apply it to our daily life is individual choices.
We definitely have to make modifications to suit practicality for current lifestyles and newer technology.

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

""ஒரு சந்நியாசிக்கு இது மாதிரியான ஆசைகள் வரக்கூடாது""

அன்றாட பூஜைகளை முடித்தபின் பக்தர்களுக்கு தீர்த்தப் பிரசாதம் அளித்துவிட்டு, பிட்சைக்கு செல்வது காஞ்சி மகானின் தினசரி வழக்கம். பிச்சையில் கிடைக்கும் உணவையே அவர் உண்பார்.

ஒரு சமயம், வழக்கம்போல் பூஜைகளை முடித்த பின்னர், பிட்சைக்கு செல்லாமல் மடத்திலேயே இருந்துவிட்டார் மகான். பிட்சைக்கு செல்லாததால், அவர் உணவு எடுத்துக்கொள்ளவில்லை. பலரும் வற்புறுத்தியும் உண்ண மறுத்துவிட்டார். இது
மறுநாளும் தொடர்ந்தது. அன்றும் மகான் உணவருந்தவில்லை.

மூன்றாம் நாளும் மகாசுவாமிகள் பிட்சைக்கு செல்லவில்லை . எனவே, மடத்தில் உள்ளோருக்கு பயம் தொற்றிக் கொண்டது.

மடத்தில் உள்ளோர் எதாவது தவறு செய்துவிட்டால், அவர்களை தண்டிப்பதற்கு பதில் மகான், தம்மையே இப்படி வருத்திக்கொள்வது வழக்கம் என்பதால் அவர்களின் அச்சம் அதிகரித்தது. அதனால், எல்லோரும் சேர்ந்து சுவாமிகள் முன் நின்றார்கள்.

"எங்களில் யார் என்ன பிழை செய்திருந்தாலும் தயவு செய்து மன்னித்து, உணவு ஏற்கவேண்டும்..!" எனப் பணிந்து வேண்டினர்.

மகா பெரியவர் சிரித்துகொண்டே, "நீங்கள் யாரும் எந்த தவறும் செய்யவில்லை. உங்கள் மேல் எனக்குக் கோபமும் இல்லை. என்னை திருத்திக்கொள்ளவே நான் இப்படி உண்ணாவிரதம் இருந்தேன்.

கொஞ்சம் நாட்களுக்கு முன் பிச்சையில் கிடைத்த உணவில் வெகு சுவையாக கீரை சமைத்து இட்டிருந்தார்கள். அதனை மீண்டும் சாப்பிடவேண்டும் என்ற ஆசை எழுந்தது.

பூஜைகளை முடித்ததுமே, இன்றைய பிச்சையில் கீரை இருக்குமா?' என்ற எண்ணம் தோன்ற ஆரம்பித்துவிட்டது. மூன்று நாட்களாக அந்த எண்ணம் மனதில் நின்றதால்தான், வயிறைப் பட்டினி போட்டு அந்த ஆசையை விரட்டினேன்.
ஒரு சந்நியாசிக்கு இது மாதிரியான ஆசைகள் வரக்கூடாது" என்றார்.

ஓர் எளிய கீரைக்குக் கூட ஆசைப்படக்கூடாது என்பதில் வைராக்கியமாக இருந்ததால்தான் மகாபெரியவரின் பெருமை என்றும் மதிப்பு குன்றாத வைரமாக மின்னுகிறது.

Courtesy: Siva Sankaran/ Brahmana Sangam/ Brahmins Association/ Face book

பெரியவா சரணம்
""ஈஸ்வர சிருஷ்டியில் எதுவுமே உபயோகமானதுதான். தண்டமில்லை""
மகா பெரியவா முன்னால் ஒரு நாள் காலையில் இளைஞன் ஒருவன் அழுதபடி நின்று
கொண்டிருந்தான். பெரியவா கரிசனத்துடன் அவனை விசரிதாதும் அவனது அழுகை
மேலும் அதிகமாயிட்ட்று

சற்று பொருது அவன் தன்னை பற்றி மெதுவாக சொன்னான் , படிப்பு முடிந்து
இரண்டு வருடங்களாகியும் இன்னும் வேலை கிடைக்கவில்லை வீட்டில் உள்ளவர்கள்
ஏச்சும் பேச்சும் தாங்க முடியவில்லை , அப்ப எப்ப பாத்தாலும் என்னை "
தண்டம் தண்டம்னு" குத்தி காட்டிண்டு இருக்கார் மனசுக்கு ரொம்ப வேதனையா
இருக்கு அதான் பெரியவா கிட்ட சொல்லி ஆசிர்வாதம் வாங்கிண்டு போலாம்னு
வந்தேன் என்று கரகரத்த குரலில் சொன்னார் .

கருணையோடு பார்த்த மகா பெரியவா ஒரு பக்கமாக உட்கார சொன்னார் அன்றைய
அனுஷ்டானங்களை முடிக்க வேண்டும் அல்லவா.

தொடர்ந்து தனது செங்கோலாக திகழும் தண்டம் என்று எல்லோராலும்
அழைக்கப்படும் செங்கோலுடன் எல்லோருக்கும் காட்சி அளித்த வன்னம்
அமர்ந்து இருந்தார்

அப்பொழுது அரசுத்துறையில் உயர் பதவியில் இருந்த இன்ஜினியர் ஒருவர்
பெரியவாளை தரிசிக்க வந்திருந்தார் அவரை பார்த்த மகான் புன்னகைத்தார்,
வந்திருந்த இன்ஜினியருக்கோ மனம் நிறைந்த உற்சாகம்.

தான் கையில் இருந்த துரவர திருக்கோலை அவரிடம் காட்டி, இதற்க்கு பெயர்
என்ன என்று கேட்டார்.

இன்ஜினியர் "தண்டம் " என்றார் மிக பணிவாக.

இதுக்கு உன்னால ஒரு வேலை போட்டு தரமுடியுமா என்று கேட்டார் மகான்.

"பெரியவா சொல்லறது எனக்கு புரியலயே", என்றார் இன்ஜினியர் .

மகான் தன் அருகில் எட்ட இருந்த இளைஞனை அழைத்து இவனுக்கு ஒரு வேலை போட்டு
குடுப்பியா? இவனை வீட்டில் எல்லாரும் " தண்டம் தண்டம் " னே கூப்பிடராளாம்

பெரியவா உத்தரவு போட்ட போதாதா. அதுக்காகத்தானே காத்துண்டு இருக்கோம்,
என்றார் இன்ஜினியர் .

சரி ஒரு தண்டத்துக்கு வேலை கிடைச்சிடுத்து இனிமே இந்த தண்டத்துக்கு வேலை
இல்லைன்னு சொல்லிட்டு தன் கையிலிருந்த செங்கோலை சுவற்றின் பக்கம்
சாய்த்து வைத்து விட்டு சொன்ன வார்த்தைகள் இவை:

"தண்டம் தண்டம்னு" கரிச்சு கொட்டராளே அதுதான் எங்களுக்கும் ரக்க்ஷை,
ப்ரும்மச்சரிகளுக்கும் ரக்க்ஷை . ராஜதண்டத்துக்கு அடங்கித்தான்
லோகத்லையே நீதி நியாயங்கள் இருந்தது .

ஈஸ்வர சிருஷ்டியில் எதுவுமே உபயோகமானதுதான். தண்டமில்லை, என்றார்