• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Living thru Trauma...what is the purpose?

ramsrini

As I write this I am aware that I am sharing something which is a real life happening and it is personal. I hope readers will respect the confidence I place in them.
My intention is to ask if anyone else has been through this trauma and suffering or knows such a real life story and what was the final salvation.
I am in my mid 50s. Till year 2016 I had a life that was blessed in every way. Nothing was missing in life, my connect to God was the strongest. My family and I were having the best years. I hold multiple high academic qualifications and was respected immensely by people around me many of whom till today say that they owe their career growth and prosperity to my guidance.
I don't feel that I did something special at the same time I did go beyond my limits to support and promote them but I have no claim or pride that I did this, rather it was God who enabled me to help them. I was just God's instrument.
In Q3 2016 everything changed. Lost my job of decades, lost my health, family members health also affected. In the last 7 years (84 months) since the bad times began, I have had income from temporary assignments and such for about 30 months (small periods of work and larger periods of no work). I have offered to work for free in my field to keep my mind active and learning....but still not got work. The problem is not the material aspects (by Gods grace we are managing on a very simple and frugal life).
What is more traumatizing is the reality of having no work (I used to voluntarily work at least 10-14 hours each day and took only one day off in a 5 day week). I was a workaholic from day one that I joined my first job about 30 years ago.
I have done just about everything that Astrologers and elders could recommend - visiting powerful temples to change destiny such as Brahmapureeswarar and Sri Vanchiyam, offering prayers for Sani mahadasa (currently running and at the mid way of 19 years duration), performing Tila-Homam at Tirupullani, Sudarsana Homam at Kumbakonam, and so many other Homams and prayers.
On several days I feel I have lost the meaning and purpose of life and the will to continue.
Sometimes when we face a problem much larger than we alone can tackle, we look for some divine intervention and guidance from elders and Gurus.
Is there anyone in this spiritual group who can relate to this and show a direction as to what I need to do as a prayer or offering or penance to overcome the trauma that continues. Thank you.

Dear Sir,

Its really hard to know why anyone faces a phase in life where nothing is to our liking and its causes a massive shift in our state of mind.
One might start to question their very existence, Karma etc..yet one might not be able to find any answer.

SItuatuons sometimes doesnt change no matter what is done eg prayers, astrology, pariharams etc.

The only thing that can change is how we handle the situation.
At times one might feel that God isnt responding to them but may be there is a reason for this..it could be the time to look within to find balance of handling success and failure alike or handling an easy situation and difficult situation alike.
But it isnt easy to handle difficult phases in life as our health both physical and mental could be affected

Why dont you try some spiritual activities like chanting mantras, meditation and some form of yoga for general well being?
Chanting mantras mantras, yoga etc might not solve the problems we are facing but these practices can help us gain some balance as gives us insight as to how to sail through any phase in life.

It might not be instant but give it sometime.
Continue visiting holy sites as the vibes help stabilize us.
May be dont spend too much money on pariharams but instead do some form of charity which has a continous effect like planting trees,donating books to needy students,( there is no need to spend too much money..be moderate in donation).

Last but not least, analayzing why any difficult phase happens to anyone is not much of use...just use this opportunity to turn towards a spiritual life and wish you best of luck...sometimes by losing comfort we gain spiritual insight.

Dear Sir,

Its really hard to know why anyone faces a phase in life where nothing is to our liking and its causes a massive shift in our state of mind.
One might start to question their very existence, Karma etc..yet one might not be able to find any answer.

SItuatuons sometimes doesnt change no matter what is done eg prayers, astrology, pariharams etc.

The only thing that can change is how we handle the situation.
At times one might feel that God isnt responding to them but may be there is a reason for this..it could be the time to look within to find balance of handling success and failure alike or handling an easy situation and difficult situation alike.
But it isnt easy to handle difficult phases in life as our health both physical and mental could be affected

Why dont you try some spiritual activities like chanting mantras, meditation and some form of yoga for general well being?
Chanting mantras mantras, yoga etc might not solve the problems we are facing but these practices can help us gain some balance as gives us insight as to how to sail through any phase in life.

It might not be instant but give it sometime.
Continue visiting holy sites as the vibes help stabilize us.
May be dont spend too much money on pariharams but instead do some form of charity which has a continous effect like planting trees,donating books to needy students,( there is no need to spend too much money..be moderate in donation).

Last but not least, analayzing why any difficult phase happens to anyone is not much of use...just use this opportunity to turn towards a spiritual life and wish you best of luck...sometimes by losing comfort we gain spiritual insight.
Namaskaram. Thank you for these kind words.

As I write this I am aware that I am sharing something which is a real life happening and it is personal. I hope readers will respect the confidence I place in them.
My intention is to ask if anyone else has been through this trauma and suffering or knows such a real life story and what was the final salvation.
I am in my mid 50s. Till year 2016 I had a life that was blessed in every way. Nothing was missing in life, my connect to God was the strongest. My family and I were having the best years. I hold multiple high academic qualifications and was respected immensely by people around me many of whom till today say that they owe their career growth and prosperity to my guidance.
I don't feel that I did something special at the same time I did go beyond my limits to support and promote them but I have no claim or pride that I did this, rather it was God who enabled me to help them. I was just God's instrument.
In Q3 2016 everything changed. Lost my job of decades, lost my health, family members health also affected. In the last 7 years (84 months) since the bad times began, I have had income from temporary assignments and such for about 30 months (small periods of work and larger periods of no work). I have offered to work for free in my field to keep my mind active and learning....but still not got work. The problem is not the material aspects (by Gods grace we are managing on a very simple and frugal life).
What is more traumatizing is the reality of having no work (I used to voluntarily work at least 10-14 hours each day and took only one day off in a 5 day week). I was a workaholic from day one that I joined my first job about 30 years ago.
I have done just about everything that Astrologers and elders could recommend - visiting powerful temples to change destiny such as Brahmapureeswarar and Sri Vanchiyam, offering prayers for Sani mahadasa (currently running and at the mid way of 19 years duration), performing Tila-Homam at Tirupullani, Sudarsana Homam at Kumbakonam, and so many other Homams and prayers.
On several days I feel I have lost the meaning and purpose of life and the will to continue.
Sometimes when we face a problem much larger than we alone can tackle, we look for some divine intervention and guidance from elders and Gurus.
Is there anyone in this spiritual group who can relate to this and show a direction as to what I need to do as a prayer or offering or penance to overcome the trauma that continues. Thank you.
What you are undergoing is pure trauma. While one can explain logically and address your situation, I think what you need is a hold, that rises from your 'self' and guides you through this period of stress.

Recite or hear vishnu sahasranamam everyday. Submit all your body, mind, senses, knowledge, actions to narayana and pray for them to be guided by His witnessing .

Forget all pariharams, horoscopes and running around them. Just focus on opportunities for work with the belief that you will be guided by Him.

Since you have had success till 2016, you are capable and that makes the task of recovering from the current situation easier. If you are spiritually inclined you have to focus on the mind and set it right. As Renuka says mantras and yoga will definitely help. In addition be positive and dharmic in your thoughts. They alone can raise your quality of life a notch or two.

Even if you are not inclined spiritually inclined, to recover i advice you take the spiritual route first. Once your mind is fortified i believe the situation will gradually improve. As a general rule, I would say anytime one needs to keep a balance between materialistic and spiritual pursuits. The best combination is spiritual objectives and pragmatic means.

All the best! You will get back to normalcy and do well. It is up to you including the faith in the divine.. .

I will give my own example. I have gone through times that had the potential to devastate me in no time and the situation still exists. But i respond positively though i must confess that my spirituality has been indispensable in this and in fact thats what makes me positive. It performs to the extent that it makes your adversaries feel the pressure.

The point is spirituality will help at any level. Spirituality is simply about being balanced. Nothing esoteric about it. That balance can be cultivated.

I will give my own example. I have gone through times that had the potential to devastate me in no time and the situation still exists. But i respond positively though i must confess that my spirituality has been indispensable in this and in fact thats what makes me positive. It performs to the extent that it makes your adversaries feel the pressure.

The point is spirituality will help at any level. Spirituality is simply about being balanced. Nothing esoteric about it. That balance can be cultivated.
Namaskaram. Thank you for the valuable insights.

Pragmatism is very important but it should be grounded in ethics. The second part is what the westerners are lacking and so overdo on the pragmatism part. The long term effects of that are bad.

Respect others and their reasonable aspirations. If you feel you are superintelligent keep that to yourself. The world will finally know the truths. Don't thrust yourself unnecessarily on everything and force your ideas.

RamSrini Sir the advice is for the westerners. If the bad elements mend themselves people like us will have it easy

Is there anyone in this spiritual group who can relate to this and show a direction as to what I need to do as a prayer or offering or penance to overcome the trauma that continues. Thank you

Ram Ram
My suggestions are two.

Spirituality will help you to bear the problems and ultimately come out of it.
In such trying circumstances your mind will play all dirty games and you will tend to believe more in 'astrologers' and 'Pariharams'. For God's sake avoid all such people at any cost. It will NOT help you in any way. It will only burden you further.
As a person who has undergone such calamities in my life this will be my advice.

If you dont mind, I would suggest you to consult one good therapist. For a person of your qualifications you cannot be unemployed for so long.
Probably you may, within your unconscious mind, be having some specific liking or aversion to certain types of jobs , This will never be known to us. A Good therapist can bring this out and resolve your problem.

Last but not the least (since you asked for a spiritual solution) reciting 'Vishnu Sahasranama' morning and evening, has helped me immensely, in the times of my personal crises.
Wishing you all the best.

Ram Ram
My suggestions are two.

In such trying circumstances your mind will play all dirty games and you will tend to believe more in 'astrologers' and 'Pariharams'. For God's sake avoid all such people at any cost. It will NOT help you in any way. It will only burden you further.
As a person who has undergone such calamities in my life this will be my advice.

If you dont mind, I would suggest you to consult one good therapist. For a person of your qualifications you cannot be unemployed for so long.
Probably you may, within your unconscious mind, be having some specific liking or aversion to certain types of jobs , This will never be known to us. A Good therapist can bring this out and resolve your problem.

Last but not the least (since you asked for a spiritual solution) reciting 'Vishnu Sahasranama' morning and evening, has helped me immensely, in the times of my personal crises.
Sir

Seeking a therapist and ignoring astrologers is a practical advice. But are you against astrology or astrologers? If the latter I understand. Astrology is a higher science that has to be revered and given its due recognition. The knowledge in astrology comes from direct intuition of truths which on any day is more definitive than knowledge gained through experimenting.

Science still has long long path ahead of it. Let's not be complacent and content about what we know through science.

Sir

Seeking a therapist and ignoring astrologers is a practical advice. But are you against astrology or astrologers? If the latter I understand. Astrology is a higher science that has to be revered and given its due recognition. The knowledge in astrology comes from direct intuition of truths which on any day is more definitive than knowledge gained through experimenting.

Science still has long long path ahead of it. Let's not be complacent and content about what we know through science.
I have never mentioned anything about 'Astrology' but only 'Astrologers'.
So I stand by my comment.
As regards your comparison of astrology and science, I am not an expert in either and so I remain silent.

I have never mentioned anything about 'Astrology' but only 'Astrologers'.
So I stand by my comment.
As regards your comparison of astrology and science, I am not an expert in either and so I remain silent.
Thank you Sir. I wanted to get it clarified as there is a possibility of misinterpretation. Knowledge is so deep for anyone to call oneself an expert. At best it's all half baked knowledge.

Knowledge gained by experimenting is definitely half baked. One gained by deep intuition is complete. Such were the powers of our sages who were able to grasp the whole.

Knowledge gained by experimenting is definitely half baked. One gained by deep intuition is complete. Such were the powers of our sages who were able to grasp the whole.
Sravna..knowledge has 2 interelated aspects.
1)Intuition/ observance
2) Experimental.

Also there is no one who has complete knowledge of everything.
Only God is omniscient.
All others have a limited access to everything but some have more access than others.

Sravna..knowledge has 2 interelated aspects.
1)Intuition/ observance
2) Experimental.

Also there is no one who has complete knowledge of everything.
Only God is omniscient.
All others have a limited access to everything but some have more access than others.
Yes Renuka agree

But ironically it is the experimentalists who think they know everything. Funny when they dont even know whats going to happen in the next 10 seconds! God is great!

Ram Ram
My suggestions are two.

Namaskaram Mr.Sridhar, thank you for the perspective and for your good wishes. I believe that when well wishers like yourself and others on this thread (I thank them once again) include me in their prayers to the Lord, it could make a difference. Srinivasan

Dear Sir, Ramsrini,

There was a small discussion about astrology in this thread.. I humbly request you to go through my story on My Pursuits 2 (redefining.. ) I had been struggling for about 17 years and things have started to smoothen out only recently. I am ok now. Having been through intense trauma and repeated failures in my life, I have now figured out that Astrology is indeed correct. Its just that astrologers cannot be entirely trusted to tell you the entire truth when you are struggling. This I believe is because of a rule in astrology which says that we should not reveal more than what the person specifically asks for and in times of bad karma for the individual it is only advised of astrologers to look at when the problems will alleviate rather than reveal much more. I came to know of this when I started on a astrology course from a traditional sanskrit college recently.

Now that I am examining my own horoscope.. what has been stated/predicted there seems to hold true in my life ever since my puberty. For it is said that before a childs puberty, the parents suffer both the good and bad that is supposed to befall the child.

You have noted that you are above 55 now.. Your main complaint does not seem to be financial as you have mentioned you have maintained a frugal life and seem to be happy with it. Your main concern seems to be the lack of work which leaves you with nothing to do whereas you had been working for 10-14 hours per day before.

Can I suggest you engage yourself by trying to learn sanskrit and trying to read the basic scriptures of bhagavad gita and mahabharata? or you can engage in learning astrology like I have started. I am also starting on a free sanskrit course by samskrita bharati.. I am sure you can find a samskrita bharati volunteer near your place who is willing to teach sanskrit to you. Their 10 day shibiram is a great way to start learning sanskrit where you are taught sanskrit by people speaking to you in sanskrit for 10 days.. 2 hours per day. Then you are introduced to class room sessions where you actually learn the grammar of sanskrit.

Since you have posted on this TamilBrahmins forum, I believe you to be a brahmin or atleast a person who believes in our age old itihasa puranas and traditions.. so why not spend your time learning sanskrit? Once you have achieved strength in the basics of sanskrit, you could possibly pursue MA Sanskrit directly in Madras sanskrit college or Madras University thus opening up the possiblility of a assistant professor job in sanskrit which will keep you occupied even after retirement age of 65 and also give you financial means to support yourself in a decent manner. If you continue onto a phd in sanskrit from either of the colleges mentioned here, you can also become a full time professor who guides young minds on research in sanskrit which will be a very fulfilling aspect in your old age. I think..

This is only a suggestion. I hope it is received in the same manner.

Dear Sir, Ramsrini,

There was a small discussion about astrology in this thread.. I humbly request you to go through my story on My Pursuits 2 (redefining.. ) I had been struggling for about 17 years and things have started to smoothen out only recently. I am ok now. Having been through intense trauma and repeated failures in my life, I have now figured out that Astrology is indeed correct. Its just that astrologers cannot be entirely trusted to tell you the entire truth when you are struggling. This I believe is because of a rule in astrology which says that we should not reveal more than what the person specifically asks for and in times of bad karma for the individual it is only advised of astrologers to look at when the problems will alleviate rather than reveal much more. I came to know of this when I started on a astrology course from a traditional sanskrit college recently.

Now that I am examining my own horoscope.. what has been stated/predicted there seems to hold true in my life ever since my puberty. For it is said that before a childs puberty, the parents suffer both the good and bad that is supposed to befall the child.

You have noted that you are above 55 now.. Your main complaint does not seem to be financial as you have mentioned you have maintained a frugal life and seem to be happy with it. Your main concern seems to be the lack of work which leaves you with nothing to do whereas you had been working for 10-14 hours per day before.

Can I suggest you engage yourself by trying to learn sanskrit and trying to read the basic scriptures of bhagavad gita and mahabharata? or you can engage in learning astrology like I have started. I am also starting on a free sanskrit course by samskrita bharati.. I am sure you can find a samskrita bharati volunteer near your place who is willing to teach sanskrit to you. Their 10 day shibiram is a great way to start learning sanskrit where you are taught sanskrit by people speaking to you in sanskrit for 10 days.. 2 hours per day. Then you are introduced to class room sessions where you actually learn the grammar of sanskrit.

Since you have posted on this TamilBrahmins forum, I believe you to be a brahmin or atleast a person who believes in our age old itihasa puranas and traditions.. so why not spend your time learning sanskrit? Once you have achieved strength in the basics of sanskrit, you could possibly pursue MA Sanskrit directly in Madras sanskrit college or Madras University thus opening up the possiblility of a assistant professor job in sanskrit which will keep you occupied even after retirement age of 65 and also give you financial means to support yourself in a decent manner. If you continue onto a phd in sanskrit from either of the colleges mentioned here, you can also become a full time professor who guides young minds on research in sanskrit which will be a very fulfilling aspect in your old age. I think..

Namaskaram Mr.Krishnan, thank you for the insights and suggestions.

hi sir

vanakkam....this kind of similar situation .....im also in the same boat.......i heard in some cases.....

ppl go through suicidal situations.....but life is changing....think in my life personally.......we are still blessed

with god's grace.....karma and time takes everything.....i believe in karma theory.....just example....we are

still okay.....many millions died in CORONA time....but still we are living....thanks to GOD ALWAYS....

BE POSITIVE....BUT ITS HARD TO FOLLOW REALITY.....im now passing through 7 and half year sani

time.....i know ...i have to wait for 2 more years to pass this phase of life.....HOPE ONLY WORD...

Dear Sir, Ramsrini,

HI
just info....i did MA and Ph.d in sanskrit........but reality is different...

Dear Sir.. It is heartening to know that there are some PhD in Sanskrit today also.

But you may not be saddened because the days are over where everything was termed brahminical and exhorted against. The current government is a nationalist government and is doing everything to revive our culture and sanskrit. There are opportunities which are being slowly pushed through the government for sanskrit scholars and sanskrit development. Please check IKSINDIA.org and see if you can apply to any of the research proposals listed there or set up any IKS centres in your locality. Kindly goto the website and look at the tab titled Funding Opportunities. Also try to find out more about our governments initiative to bring out our Indian Science into contemporary research. The BSM's Anusandhan Prakosth is working in this area. BSM is Bharatiya Shikshan Mandal. Please search on google and try out. If you need any contact numbers in chennai.. maybe I can share. Please PM me.

Please do not lose hope now sir.. you only have 2 years left of sani and mangu sani always gives what cannot be taken away when it leaves. I got my Australian PR when Sani left me. This helped nurture me back to my current state. I still have a long way to go but the Australian PR cannot be removed from my passport now.

My whole hearted prayers for you.

Please try IKSindia.org (Tab Funding opportunities) and try to get in touch with BSM Anusanthan group. I will be happy to receive a PM from you.

Dear Sir.. It is heartening to know that there are some PhD in Sanskrit today also.

But you may not be saddened because the days are over where everything was termed brahminical and exhorted against. The current government is a nationalist government and is doing everything to revive our culture and sanskrit. There are opportunities which are being slowly pushed through the government for sanskrit scholars and sanskrit development. Please check IKSINDIA.org and see if you can apply to any of the research proposals listed there or set up any IKS centres in your locality. Kindly goto the website and look at the tab titled Funding Opportunities. Also try to find out more about our governments initiative to bring out our Indian Science into contemporary research. The BSM's Anusandhan Prakosth is working in this area. BSM is Bharatiya Shikshan Mandal. Please search on google and try out. If you need any contact numbers in chennai.. maybe I can share. Please PM me.

Please do not lose hope now sir.. you only have 2 years left of sani and mangu sani always gives what cannot be taken away when it leaves. I got my Australian PR when Sani left me. This helped nurture me back to my current state. I still have a long way to go but the Australian PR cannot be removed from my passport now.

My whole hearted prayers for you.

Please try IKSindia.org (Tab Funding opportunities) and try to get in touch with BSM Anusanthan group. I will be happy to receive a PM from you.
HI SIR,

i did 4 masters and ph.d in sanskrit too....

hi sir

vanakkam....this kind of similar situation .....im also in the same boat.......i heard in some cases.....

ppl go through suicidal situations.....but life is changing....think in my life personally.......we are still blessed

with god's grace.....karma and time takes everything.....i believe in karma theory.....just example....we are

still okay.....many millions died in CORONA time....but still we are living....thanks to GOD ALWAYS....

BE POSITIVE....BUT ITS HARD TO FOLLOW REALITY.....im now passing through 7 and half year sani

time.....i know ...i have to wait for 2 more years to pass this phase of life.....HOPE ONLY

IDHUVUM KSADANTHU POGUM....
இதுவும் கடந்து போகும்

Latest ads

Back