• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

joseph iyengar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt whether 'The Hindu' would have given the same kind of publicity and extent of coverage, had it been 'Joseph Sharma', not 'Joseph Iyengar'.

'The Hindu' has turned so parochial in religious matters, in that they are either anti-Hindu in their approach and attitude (hallmark of secularism) or promoters of only Srivaishnavism. What kind of stance it is?

sri vaishnava moonru namathukku ari kole,agaiaal,conning seyvadil mannadhi mannar allavo?

In response to Pannvalan's note, my answer would be perhaps so. Vaishnavism, especially the version promoted by the Azhwars and later by Ramanuja, prided itself in its arguments favoring faith in a Personal God over superstition and ritualism. It also suggested the idea that Brahma-jnanam was available to all, an idea furthered by the fact that the Azhwars themselves came from different castes.

I think the fact that the messages of Vaishnavam speak to a largely Tamizh-based demographic would substantiate the Hindu's support of the school.

It seems Maha Bharata had a line that described a conversation between Indra and Yudishtira (I think) mentioning the allowance of "mlecchas" to re-practice their original faith and some rites for that. You have to judge them by the gunas and slot them in the appropriate varna, though I think this is best left to Devas when they ever come here, because most of the explanations, interpretations and full texts have been lost due to time, invasions, interpretations for personal gains, etc.
But there is a rule and I am sure it exists. Also, I am sure it is very liberal just like rest of scriptural Hinduism is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back