• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jokes which extol the virtues of caste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like jokes which show the community in good light.

This is one such marwari joke. Long live business and other communities.

A keenimmigrant Indian Marwadi lad applied for a salesman's job at London's premierdowntown department store. In fact, it was the biggest store in the world - youcould get anything there.
Theboss asked him, "Have you ever been a salesman before?" "Yessir, I was a salesman in India ", replied the lad. The boss liked the cutof him and said, "You can start tomorrow and I'll come and see you."
The daywas long and arduous for the young man, but he got through it. And finally 6:00PM came around. The boss duly fronted up and asked, "How many sales didyou make today?" "Sir, Just ONE sale." said the young salesman.
"Onlyone sale?" blurted the boss. "No! No! You see here, most of my staff make20 or 30 sales a day. "If you want to keep this job, you'd better be doingbetter than just one sale. By the way "How much was the sale worth?"
£93,300,534.00pounds" said the young Marwadi. "What"," How did you managethat?" asked the flabbergasted boss.
"Well",said the salesman, "This man came in and I sold him a small fish hook,then a medium hook and finally a really large hook. Then I sell him new fishingrod and some fishing gear. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and hesaid down the coast. So I told him he'd be needing a boat, so I took him downto the boat department and sold him that twenty-foot schooner with the twinengines. Then he said his Volkswagen probably wouldn't be able to pull it, so Itook him to our automotive department and sold him that new Deluxe 4X4 Blazer.
Ithen asked him where he'll be staying, and since he had no accommodation, Itook him to camping department and sold him one of those new igloo 6-sleepercamper tents. Then the guy said, while we're at it, I should throw in about£100 worth of groceries and two cases of beer.
Theboss took two steps back and asked in astonishment, "You sold all that toa guy who came in for a fish hook!!"
"No"answered the salesman, "he came in to buy a box of Sanitary napkins forhis wife and I said to him, "Sir, Your weekends screwed anyway, you mightas well go fishing."
Boss- "You sit in my chair.......

The caste factor is purely incidental to cover up plagiarisation of a joke. This joke has taken many incarnations starting from at least 2002.

American version - 2002

It was published in America in a book titled : Real Country Humor: Jokes from Country Music Personalities, edited by one Billy Edd Wheeler Published in 2002 The dollar amount of sales made by the lad was $101, 334.53

View attachment 2720

American version II 2005 Fishhook
A young man from Texas moves to California and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job…. The dollar amount changed to $102,347.65

Subsequently, the location of Texas got changed to London here:
Salesman
It was titled “Salesman” and posted on 27 August 2009 . The story line began thus: A keen lad applied for a salesman's job at London 's premier downtown department store…. And the dollar amount got switched to 93300534.00 pounds

In 2010, Aladin Posted on 12 February 2010 and the lad became a Marwadi lad! . Now the story line is:
A keen immigrant Indian Marwadi lad applied for a salesman's job at London's premier downtown department store....

Last edited:
There is no plagiarisation in jokes. Whether polish jokes or irish jokes or sardarji jokes, all get transformed to suit the location, audience and level of applicability. Jokes have no copyright, are not scholarly citations.

The caste factor is purely incidental to cover up plagiarisation of a joke. This joke has taken many incarnations starting from at least 2002.

American version - 2002

It was published in America in a book titled : Real Country Humor: Jokes from Country Music Personalities, edited by one Billy Edd Wheeler Published in 2002 The dollar amount of sales made by the lad was $101, 334.53

View attachment 2720

American version II 2005 Fishhook
A young man from Texas moves to California and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job…. The dollar amount changed to $102,347.65

Subsequently, the location of Texas got changed to London here:
Salesman
It was titled “Salesman” and posted on 27 August 2009 . The story line began thus: A keen lad applied for a salesman's job at London 's premier downtown department store…. And the dollar amount got switched to 93300534.00 pounds

In 2010, Aladin Posted on 12 February 2010 and the lad became a Marwadi lad! . Now the story line is:
A keen immigrant Indian Marwadi lad applied for a salesman's job at London's premier downtown department store....

i think it is good not to encourage jokes of any ethnic kinds. some of the cruellest jokes is against tambrams, and i dont enjoy hearing those. likewise i would imagine others would be equally affected by jokes on their community.

most of the jokes are born out of jealousy - a familiar example is sardarji jokes - which are not only unwarranted, but an expression of envy at the sight of a hardworking self helping prosperous cohesive close knit community.

where we have fear of someone or community, we do not crack jokes.

even when a joke is supposed to put a community in good light, it is an insult i feel - for it caricatures someone beyond reality. it is but a start of nastiness.

all in all, i feel, since there are so many millions of other avenues for humour, to focus on caste or race based jokes - is simply unwanted.

thank you.

I hope this (anecdote) joke rings some bell to some and take out rings (ring sound) from others ears. A non-Brahmin boy came home late in the evening after dinner while his orthodox family had got the wind as to where he had been to through some "good mouths". The fellow had to hear lorry load of diatribes and was beaten black and blue after exhausting the vocabulary. Not in a mood to stop there, the father inquired who he was with in the "non-veg" hotel. The boy confessed that he was with his Brahmin friend giving faithful company. Hearing this the exasperated father asked why did he not tell this before as he could have saved himself from all the diatribes and beatings. The mother pulled aside her husband and asked what is this? "With a Brahmin by your side you can do these things and no harm would come to you", said the father!!!

A joke is unacceptable; bur vituperative abuse is often voiced as truth and nothing but truth. What a farce?

Anyway the joke must show the community in good light; not as a fool or as an idiot.

i think it is good not to encourage jokes of any ethnic kinds. some of the cruellest jokes is against tambrams, and i dont enjoy hearing those. likewise i would imagine others would be equally affected by jokes on their community.

most of the jokes are born out of jealousy - a familiar example is sardarji jokes - which are not only unwarranted, but an expression of envy at the sight of a hardworking self helping prosperous cohesive close knit community.

where we have fear of someone or community, we do not crack jokes.

even when a joke is supposed to put a community in good light, it is an insult i feel - for it caricatures someone beyond reality. it is but a start of nastiness.

all in all, i feel, since there are so many millions of other avenues for humour, to focus on caste or race based jokes - is simply unwanted.

thank you.

Last edited:
A joke is unacceptable; bur vituperative abuse is often voiced as truth and nothing but truth. What a farce?

Anyway the joke must show the community in good light; not as a fool or as an idiot.

i dont understand you.

all i said here is that let us not make fun of people and call it a 'joke'. a joke can never show a community in good light, as i stated in my post, for often, there is an underlying tone of hatred and such. if not anything, it is caricaturing, and that to me, is an insult.

every community is a mixed bag, and let us not, in the multi racial world, throw stones, for we all live in glass houses.

none of your statements make sense to me. please keep to the point, and if you disagree with me, re making ethnic jokes, feel free to do so. it is indeed a free world, but do not use my quotes for something which is irrelevant.. like this statement, 'A joke is unacceptable; bur vituperative abuse is often voiced as truth and nothing but truth. What a farce? '

this is coming out of something i cannot relate and has nothing to do with my comment re racial strereotyping humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back