• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God = Brahman (of advaita Philosophy)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

There is a thread "Let God save India". It started me thinking about this phrase.
What exactly do we mean by it. Does it have any significance in the Advaita Philosophy?

Is there any action that is performed in this world without God? My definition of Brahman (God) says he is all pervading.

Did God stop the stealing of the Temple Gold? Did God help the thief? Does he play an active hand in selling off these stolen property?
I guess I do not understand the phrase "God only can save" in a Hindu setting. It might be an abrahmic statement, it is an empty and hollow statement, just expressing frustration.

If God interjects Himself in the actions of the Universe, why did He not stop the Mahabharat War?
Why did he have to be born as Rama to kill Ravana.

In Abrahamic definition of God, he is limited and has no control over Satan. So in the battle between human and satan, God can help, but it does not work in Advaita Philosophy.

God is both a Boon and a Bane - He or whatever it is - is God and Satan at the same time meaning He is god when he shows his benevolent blessings and Satan when he punishes the sinner ruthlessly. That is why sometimes we say that some one is as kind as a human. In God's book, the credits and debits are not balanced like the CAs do. But Prasadji do not start asking "which came first - the egg, or the hen?" We are concerned with the omlete now and an eggless one at that, in this forum!

God is both a Boon and a Bane - He or whatever it is - is God and Satan at the same time meaning He is god when he shows his benevolent blessings and Satan when he punishes the sinner ruthlessly. That is why sometimes we say that some one is as kind as a human. In God's book, the credits and debits are not balanced like the CAs do. But Prasadji do not start asking "which came first - the egg, or the hen?" We are concerned with the omlete now and an eggless one at that, in this forum!

Iyya, I respect your opinion but I beg to differ from it.
My question was sincere.
DO WE SEE GOD IN EVERYTHING, or is there exceptions?
What exactly do we mean by "let God save India"?
Do we mean that we will keep on living our life the way do, and God will come and save what ever we want?
Like Renukaji said that "God help those who help themselves".

Iyya, I respect your opinion but I beg to differ from it.
My question was sincere.
DO WE SEE GOD IN EVERYTHING, or is there exceptions?
What exactly do we mean by "let God save India"?
Do we mean that we will keep on living our life the way do, and God will come and save what ever we want?
Like Renukaji said that "God help those who help themselves".
There is god everywhere of course. In action and in inaction as both are willed by him. Why should he will like that? Address this question to Hen and Egg story. When we say 'let God save India'', it means that the person saying that is helpless. In the scheme of things, god has left the person helpless or clueless. Others who prompted this or caused this will be answerable on their actions. But for the former his judgement is right for himself and he might receive the due merit for his. The intelligence you have or inherited will guide your action. One's own discretion guides him to action or inaction. You might have experienced and felt in life at various stages that 'you should have done this or should not have done that' with your intelligence and conscience in tact. Please note nobody has chosen to be inactive allowing god to do his work. Everybody is doing his mite as a human but no human can play God. If I am not clear, please curse me.

Last edited:
Iyya,
I was travelling to USA, I had come from Chennai to Delhi by Jet airways. My luggage was weighed in Chennai to be 29kg. At the american airways counter a young Indian Kid told me that my bag was overweight by 15 kg (i,e 44kg), i protested, but he would not relent and said it will cost me as additional $70. I am tired travailing and just want to get back, all the other agents just walked away, I was almost the last passenger. Then a porter approached me and explained that I need to pay $50.00 and the weight will drop to 29kg, finally he said INR1000 will do the trick. I was disgusted, but I did not want to miss the plane, reluctantly I paid, and was cleared in time to catch the flight.

I still curse myself for not reporting, and fighting the good fight. To me catching the flight was more important than the fight at that time. What was the role of God in my battle. Did God save me? If He did why do I feel so bad?

If people are stealing temple Gold and selling it in England, how can "God save India"?

If you say that "let God save India" is an expression of frustration and not for action, I can understand that.

Iyya,
I was travelling to USA, I had come from Chennai to Delhi by Jet airways. My luggage was weighed in Chennai to be 29kg. At the american airways counter a young Indian Kid told me that my bag was overweight by 15 kg (i,e 44kg), i protested, but he would not relent and said it will cost me as additional $70. I am tired travailing and just want to get back, all the other agents just walked away, I was almost the last passenger. Then a porter approached me and explained that I need to pay $50.00 and the weight will drop to 29kg, finally he said INR1000 will do the trick. I was disgusted, but I did not want to miss the plane, reluctantly I paid, and was cleared in time to catch the flight.

I still curse myself for not reporting, and fighting the good fight. To me catching the flight was more important than the fight at that time. What was the role of God in my battle. Did God save me? If He did why do I feel so bad?

If people are stealing temple Gold and selling it in England, how can "God save India"?

If you say that "let God save India" is an expression of frustration and not for action, I can understand that.

I will give you an example how God helps those who have good intention.
In 2008 my younger brother wanted to set up a library for poor village children in India.
He had spoken to the village authorities and told them he will be bringing books for the kids.

He bought lots of lots of children's books and he was 100% sure he had to pay for excess luggage cos his bags were just too heavy.

All of us got our luggage weighed but when it was my brother's turn to get those books weighed the weighing scale was showing very minimal weight which is still within the free amount.

The personnel at the airport here was wondering if something was wrong with the machine and told my brother to weigh his personal luggage first.
The personal luggage recorded slightly over weight but when the bags with the books were weighed again it still did not record over weight.

So the officer told my brother.."there must be some reason why these bags are not recording over weight and what is inside the bags?"

My brother told him that it was books for charity for village kids.

The officer let the bags through.

I can only say God helped out.

Last edited:
There is a thread "Let God save India".
I guess I do not understand the phrase "God only can save" in a Hindu setting. It might be an abrahmic statement, it is an empty and hollow statement, just expressing frustration.

If God interjects Himself in the actions of the Universe, why did He not stop the Mahabharat War?
Why did he have to be born as Rama to kill Ravana.

reply - > Let god save India is dissimilar to god save the queen :)
The former is more out of anguish & a state of helplessness unlike the latter I hope....almost most options are exhausted and God is the last hope. In addition, it can also mean God interjecting into action as a savior!

I

The officer let the bags through.

I can only say God helped out.

God acts only through our Karma. In that case, Those village kids had good karma/destined to benefit and
also not burden your brother, then He/God influenced the officer's mind.

We only see God in things that interest us.

Wrong, We avoid things that God might see. ;)

I heard in a discourse, A guru asked two of his disciples to hide a silver vessel in his ashram. One did and came back to say, he hid
in a place where no-one was there to see. The other disciple couldnot, and came back to say that God is watching him everywhere.

Last edited:
namaste smt.ReNukA.

You are fortunate that your life has several incidents and experiences that reinforce the divine presence and grace. I suggest that you collect them in memoirs and post them in a blog. May you be blessed with more and more such revelations.

namaste smt.ReNukA.

You are fortunate that your life has several incidents and experiences that reinforce the divine presence and grace. I suggest that you collect them in memoirs and post them in a blog. May you be blessed with more and more such revelations.

Dear sir,

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and suggestion.

Whole life is an operation of "give and take" philosophy. Why you give and why you to take? In the books of accounts there are "anaamath" creditors and untraceable debtors. Situations and circumstances are so arranged that you are left to fight for considerable sum and lose a bigger sum. Many times it so happens that you have time to fight and prevent somebody not to commit a sin or a mistake. Sometimes you voluntarily give or somebody involuntarily takes away. No doubt $70 is a considerable amount but we cannot ask for a break-up from God. Somewhere there is god's hand. Central Railway last year added Rs.6 crores by way of unclaimed refunds by passengers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back