• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Integration with the rest of the Tamil Tribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you gokul.

let me respond to your points, easy to difficult.

one other way of integration is singing more tamil songs in the carnatic concerts, as i have said. others are going along with socio political issues like sri lankan tamils.

the older members might remember that we tamil brahmins stood shoulder to shoulder in the anti hindi agitations of the 1960s.

re our bachelors' plight: it all depends on the selection method, right. the girl from another caste wishing to marry a brahmin, would probably be more into the types of practices that are non conflicting with a normal brahmin household.

primarily i would imagine be vegetarianism, or willing to be one. i think the religious rituals concerning our obsequies can be easily learned, as the female is of secondary importance here, to the best of my knowledge.

if i remember correctly, in most functions whether it be thevasam, vinayagar poojai or bhaghvathi sevai,the females are in support roles. it is mostly cooking and serving.

i think this is a feasible alternative, provided the will is there. it is easiest to take brides from pillais or mudaliars - i know a few of them, and their household practices is not all that different from ours, including the exclusion of women from the kitchen during the menstrual periods.

i get a feeling that this is a crisis of epidemic proportion. there are simply not enough girls to go around, even for a blind choice. there does not appear to be such an issue for girls. all the girls in my family have been hooked, quick and easy.

re the subject of children growing up in the west, i think, we must keep in mind their interests first. i think, we should not do anything which might hinder their survival skills.

this is a different society, and we ourselves do not know how to fathom the waters. in the context of this ignorance, i think it is rather dumb, to invoke values and mores, which not only do not fit in these societies, but which are increasingly considered archaic even in india.

to that extent, i think, it may be easier, to define the boundaries to them. these boundaries are more an admission of our limitations and hopefully, the youngsters can navigate their day to day growth, while accepting their parents' immigrant baggage.

after all, our children did not ask to come here to this world. we brought them here, and bringing them up further, should be a labour of love and care, and not one of rules and restrictions. i think so, anyway.

thank you for your complements. my views come solely from atttending that school that never forgives, ie the school of hard knocks. i appear to be a permanent student there with little hopes of graduation. :)

Last edited:
...In an inter caste marriage, casteism is lost and they are not brahmin caste any more.

Hope I have put forward a valid argument.

sapth,

your arguements are not only valid, but solid tight to hold water.

to quote you .. though selectively .. and reflect your bright perception.. In an inter caste marriage, casteism is lost ...

..would that be such a bad thing, in this day and age?

personally, i think with this modern world, we are facing influences which has never been imagined. the rate of change of all societies around the world, is at an incredible speed, for the comfort of even the most progressive minds.

i think any philosophy, however deep, if it tries to justify different strata of followers, may have an issue, with the basic egalitarian and equal opportunity outlook that has been festered on us.

we look forward to equal opporunity in jobs. in education. and when denied that, we object. why would we not object, when we are consigned to a secondary status in a religion?

i have heard all the arguements,ancient or otherwise, in support of casteism and none satisfies me. i do not expect it to satisfy the dalit. and everyone in between who considers himself an hindu.

i feel a place in this forum, only because, under the indian law, whether i am the beef eating mani shankar aiyar or the head of kanchi mutt, we are both assigned the same caste - tamil brahmin, thanks to our ancestrage.

i am sure a time will come, when religious affiliation will not be an issue in india. just like it is in the west, where it is illegal to query your faith or your age for job or educational opportunities.

as a tamil brahmin society, i think we are all getting more liberal, if not out of choice, then out of necessity. personally, i would rather take the bull by the horn, and steer it to my advantage, than let it lead me in a wild chase where progressiveness is shoved down my throat.

thank you.

Last edited:
Periyar, his philosophies and self-contradictions/hypocrisy were discussed at length already in this forum. Please do not add 'theetu' to this forum, any further.

pann,

i understand your sentiments, and i am quite sure that it is shared by an overwhelming majority of tamil brahmins.

if you had read my posting here re periyar, i had focussed more on the effect it had on us, by taking the very attitude that i read from your note.

ie.. ignore periyar as he is 'theetu'

personally, i think it is this very attitude that has resulted in our loss of status among the tamils.

we can ignore periyar. but he has not ignored us. we cannot just wish away bad or evil.

i think, the right thing, is to face these repulsiveness head on in a neat and orderly manner, and mitigate if not completely remove our losses.

hope that explains the context of my post here re periyar. i had indeed spent a lot of time composing that post, as i felt it was important in the context of discussion, and ensuring that the post is void of nastiness and only of relevance re 'lessons not learned' by us as a community.

thank you.

Last edited:
Music has definitely contributed a lot in integrating communities across the world.

It was the time, me doing 6th std.. we discontinued Dinamalar and moved to The Hindu(under Grandpa's pressure), and all I remember was its front page filled with the daily and cummulative Qty of Punjabi-hindus killed by Pakistan funded Turban-Sikh-Bindranwale with the B/w photos of PTI.Then,few year later, came IndraGandhi assasination(great 3 days holiday) and subsquent TaI/Ylor made genocides.Amidst,as a teen, I had developed a deep rooted hatred against those, Turban men (for no reasons)who were frequent visitors to the tourist town, of our locale..Inspite,do we all remember that now? No!! As of my now,when I look at the Turbans in Delhi grand eateris or Bombays Cabbies,what comes first in my mind is 'Kushwant Sing, Balle Balle and Bhangra music..Sometimes,I chuckle,when I see them talking loud in mobile phone,without realising that their ears closed by turban.

A slight U-Turn here..

I would introduce here a category called 'Music Puritans' who portray themseleves as first cousins of 'Goddess Muses".Living in a shack,with age old gramaphones,Valve stero amplifier pumping 8 Watt energy to an almirah sized wooden cabinet speakers and playing Bach in old Grand Piano,through its squiggly dent L.P records of 1940 HMV.He will be nodding his head left and right like in tune with the HMV-Doggy logo turning round-n-round. Does the world care about this gentleman?.Come what,they also make it a point to book in advance the front row seat for the forthcoming years' opera.For them Rock/Pop/Reggae/Jazz are all satanic hymns and Rogerwaters/Bob Marley/Bob Dylan are Lucifers children.

In the same society, there lived the people, who invented(mixed) different forms of music and made fame & fortunes,still keeping their core music brand name intact, ie "Western Music".Beatles travelled to Himalayas to compose a music with Indian touch,but called it as western music.African Jazz is now western Jazz.Irish lyrics,Banjo,Sitar and all were accomodated, without breaking any grammer of Do-Re-Me.

All coloured and language people are welcome to play their part of 'Western Music'. It was generous in accepting and appropriating all Phonetics/diphthongs/syllable of artists from various countries.It was dominated by brits,then scandinavians,then Europeans,and blacks,why not, our own Indian Freddy Mercury is a now a 'Western Musician'.Billions of records sold, Trillions of money made and further money by copy rights helped them to feed their children for generations.. It all happened in just 90 Yrs.

Now,that white flannel shirt, is still living in the same shack.Last week the puritan was so happy,cos his old valve radio told him that Mijac is dead.According to puritan, Mijac is a 'Smooth criminal' who terribly spoiled the English-music-grammer with his wrong english accent and phonetics.How dare he can mix up non-english ''Naku Penda Piya-Naku Taka Piya-Mpenziwe' in his Liberian Girl song. He is also angry cos Bob-Marley couldnt even spell the word 'Bufallo soldier' in a typical English way.He has a strong conviction Indians can never become Rockstars,without he knowing, Queen was dead 10 years ago and his original gujrathi name is Balsara.. Now he switched of his 25Watt incandescent bulb and got crouched fit in to his rose wood bed.

Another side..Can any one deny the role of Jazz and Reggae(Western Music) in integrating the immigrants to the mainstream Americans?.

I end this post without any conclusion...

Now,I can overhear some one saying "I Appeal!! Mod,this guy is transgressing the discussion".I just picked up one single line from Shri.Kunjuppu and did a painting with a western brush,expecting that, some stalwart will continue the discussion from here, to the right track.

Last edited:
periyar

The following two articles by writer Jeyamohan are an excellent criticique of periyar and dravidian movement. Good read.

http://jeyamohan.in/?p=368
http://jeyamohan.in/?p=271

The main points of criticism from Jeyamohan are that periyar talked in the language of hate and did not have deep knowledge of things that he was talking about.e.g.religion. His criticism of hinduism was only on a superficial level.

I dont want to divert this thread to a discussion on periyar. In spite of all his shortcomings, periyar did well to expose the brahmin domination that was prevalent in his times and distributed the power to a larger section of people. The downside was that, he left a hatred towards brahmins in the minds of people and his followers were primarily non-brahmin upper caste hindus who did not include dalits with them.

Anyways, tamil brahmins being deprived of all political power and also being a minority, the onus is on us to integrate with the rest of the tamil people and do so without any ill feeling. It is not only because it is the right thing to do, but also because it is the only way to save our community and take forward the treasure of knowledge(in religion and arts) that has been passed on to us for generations.

Regards,
Gokul

good stuff gokul.

jeyamohan is a very thoughtful and well thought of blogger.

re periyar, you are right on.

thank you.

sapr,

yes, i missed pongal.

however, i get the idea, that the reluctance expressed atleast here by some, to tb boys marrying outside the caste, appears to be bent on the girls following our rituals.

i think, there is a distinct religious reason as opposed to a secular ie day-to-day living habits one.

let us take the secular one first. day to day living for most of us, is one of routines re getting up in the morning, go to work, come back, dinner, sleep. with slight variations in the weekend.

the key to managing such an household is compatibility between the spouses.

if left alone, i think a willing husband and wife can sort out any differences. i have only suggested vegetarian brides and there is always the thrill of cooking together.

re a religious one: if the boy is involved in daily pooja & punaskaaram, as i previously said, the wife is always in a secondary role. as long as she is willing to commit herself to do the needful, it could be worked out.

the spanners in the works are ofcourse the inlaws and relations. i would not recommend they live with the inlaws, for no matter what, it is a potential toxic relationship, if conducted on a day to day household running basis.

come to think of it, now a days, brahmin girls may show reluctance to move in with their in laws. also, not many girls in my family, are all that familiar with poojais and would have to be initiated from the bottoms up if they marry into a household where such rituals are the norms.

on the other hand, they probably would not agree to such a matrimonial arrangement in the first place.

times, they are changing. not sure if it is for the better or worse.

but they are changing fast for sure.

thank you.

reply to tamil tribe disscussion

All the disscussions going here seems to be real.there is no one without problem.If problem is not there we peoples won't pray or worship God. For this reason only god has given more knowledge to TB'S[not other B's] and given social problem to them. With this knowledge we have to come up.

The word"tribe" is very misleading."Communities " will be better.Prior to the Justice Party there was not much animosity among the various communities.This will be very clear if you read the novels in Tamizh bu SVV,
As a matter of pure practice Brahmins in Tamil speaking areas have imbibed more of the local customes than their counterparts in other parts of India
To go back to some of the earlier postings recent research has negatived the Aryan invasion theory.Though some politicians refuse to accept the findings

Tamil Tribe

My feeling is that (I do not know whether others will agree with this view) brahmins should first organise themselves and try to speak in one voice and they must also develop confirdence in themselves. When this happens the others will automatically recognise them.

RgdsMohan Parasuram

Hello! This is my inaugural post

Hello!

This is my first post to this wonderful forum. In the first instance, I am not a Tamil Brahmin. After enrolling myself here, I wondered if a non-Brahmin is eligible to be a member of this group. I was reassured that I am welcome here so long as I do not hurt the sentiments of any body .

There is a wonderful discussion going on about the need for integration between the TB and non-TB. How I wish that happens so that the entire Tamil community profits. It is really unfortunate that both the TBs and non-TBs look at each other with suspicion and distrust. I have lived in various States in India and no where the divide between the Bns and the non-Bns is as deep as here.

Our society is basically divided into various castes. As some one here said TN has been accommodating various social groups that came to occupy the land either as victors or business men; but these groups never really got themselves integrated into one homogeneous lot. As a person who was born and grew up in a village, the balance in the social relations among various caste groups is very delicate. As one steps out of ones home, one has to be wary about the caste dynamics of the society lest he loses his limb or peace of mind.

The relations between the TB and the others is on a different footing.
The deep seated distrust between the two groups is of recent origin. In the Sangam literature and Bakti literature of Tamil, we have a number of Brahmin (andhanar) poets and they are eulogized by others for their wisdom. Thirumoolar and Thiruvalluvar talk about andhanar olukkam. Indeed, the entire Tamil populace looked upon them as role models and aravoors(viruous). The divide has set in after the British arrival. TBs who took to the British education had started leaving their traditional priestly duties which alienated them from the rest of the community. They became city dwellers and enjoyed the fruits of modern education. Following their footsteps, the non-Bns also aspired for the same and the clash of interests has resulted in the present state of affairs. The situation had been exploited by the self-seeking political parties in the State. The TB community has been known for its scholarship and learning. Religious orthodoxy coupled with a sense of elitism arising out of scholastic achievement has further accentuated the mutual acrimony.

I have a number of friends from among the TBs. I find it difficult to invite them to our houses. They have some intrinsic mind-block, preventing them from socializing with the non-TBs freely. It is high time the non-TBs gave up their Bn bashing as a past time. Tamil society minus the TBs is a brainless body. They brought glory to the community. We need to embrace each other.

Forgive me if I had hurt any one.

ulaganthan p

The word"tribe" is very misleading."Communities " will be better.Prior to the Justice Party there was not much animosity among the various communities.This will be very clear if you read the novels in Tamizh bu SVV,
As a matter of pure practice Brahmins in Tamil speaking areas have imbibed more of the local customes than their counterparts in other parts of India
To go back to some of the earlier postings recent research has negatived the Aryan invasion theory.Though some politicians refuse to accept the findings

Very true sri pbkhema ji...a linguistic group is neither a race nor a tribe. There is no scientific basis to considering 'aryan' or 'dravidian' as a race. The aryan invasion theory is an easily disprovable theory loaded with loopholes. If am not wrong, it was EVR who first brought the idea of aryan and dravidian as races into politics. Now the political scenario is such that an average indian knows nothing about politics as something that involves administration, economics, governance, etc....all that a man on the street knows is that there is a crook in every politician; and politics is only a game played by rogues for whom caste is just another political trumpcard. Naturally politicians will refuse to accept any finding that does not help their own political stand. But what to do.

Hello!

Tamil society minus the TBs is a brainless body. They brought glory to the community. We need to embrace each other.

Forgive me if I had hurt any one.

ulaganthan p

Shri.Ulaganthan, you have not hurt any one.. Its a wonderful point, which I have also been telling from the beginning.. This is being your first post, I dont wanna write much. Will wait for your active participation...

Dear HH,

Welcome back.. Forum is terribly missing you..

Shri.Kunjuppu must be missing your 'be stumped and clean bowled' jokes ..

'God Why' kaccheri (orchestra) is missing a 'Thambura' for bourdon and resonance.. Crash cymbal!!

Trust you will find some time to make atleast a rationed one post/ day...

Dear sri ulaganathan P. Ji,

Excellent, well articulated posting - welcome to the Forum.

So, please tell us what is your view on the role of TBs in today's society?

You have established that we are part of the Tamil culture. So are Tamils part of the expanded Indian culture, where Sanskrit is also part of our tradition - not just Brahmins, but all Tamils?

How do you view the Sanskritized agaama temple sambradhayams in TN?

What is your position on quotas?

Regards,
KRS

You have established that we are part of the Tamil culture. So are Tamils part of the expanded Indian culture, where Sanskrit is also part of our tradition - not just Brahmins, but all Tamils?

How do you view the Sanskritized agaama temple sambradhayams in TN?

Dear Sir,

A small input from my end:

Sanskrit has borrowed quite as much from Dravidian as Dravidian has from Sanskrit. Tamil has borrowed more words from Sanskrit than Sanskrit has from Dravidian. It is a trivial thing for a language to borrow vocabulary. But when it uses another language's syntax to form the way it expresses things, and uses another language's phonology for its sounds, that is really profound influence. The fact is, Sanskrit HAS been influenced in this way by Dravidian. Of course, some Dravidian languages have also borrowed Sanskrit sounds (bh, etc.) But none of the four Dravidian languages I have read has borrowed anything from Sanskrit syntax that I can identify. Much of the syntax of Sanskrit is Dravidian, and it has a large Dravidian vocabulary. Its system of phonetics is profoundly influenced by Dravidian -- Indo-Aryan is the only IE family with retroflexes.
From: http://www.tamilnation.org/literature/sanskrit.htm {but there are also some points in the article that are debatable, what am trying to convey is the symbiotic nature of sanskrit and tamil in terms of borrowing words / sounds from one another..}

Sir, if there was no intermingling of speakers of dravidian and sanskrit group (just in case they were from 'different' from each other); or if there was no nostratic group linking sanskrit and dravidian, would this contribution to the growth of sanskrit by dravidian and vice-versa have happened...

i have been wondering if 'sanskrit' or 'sanskritized culture' has actually always been a part of the dravidian culture...

looking forward to sri ulaganathan's reply.

came across this: http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=yfFt8j94VxYC&pg=PA87&dq=avestan+persian+tamil and found this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turan

There are so many pointers to show that the links b/w avestan, dravidian, and sanskrit. Wonder if avestan is the missing link b/w dravidian and sanskrit...only an ethnolinguist can throw light on this. And again am missing Sri Nacchinarkiniyan ji.

This is very intresting: http://books.google.com/books?id=fiavPYCz4dYC&pg=PA335&ots=MCaj622c-s&dq=that+the+turanian+language+was+%27named+after+the+descendants+of+tur%27&sig=wekmEa9Bz9b9tp0ySjPdO9cghFY it sort of further corroborates that the turanian speakers (which included dravidian) once occupied the caucasus...

is it not possible sir that sanskrit and tamil were not really different in the first place (if they had a nostratic ancestor that is); or if they were different, then the 'differences' cannot be validated on the cultural scene or ethnic scene anymore bcoz of the mere fact that intermingling did occur and that too so long ago that its tuf to differentiate now...

Last edited:
welcome ulaganathan.

good to see you again happy. please just don't fade away.

i think, while discussing this topic, one of the aspects we have not given much attention to, is the separation of the dichotomy of the tamil brahmin ie his religious vs secular life.

i will only discuss current situation, as the past is more of an thiNNai araTTai topic and of no consequence to the present. atleast i think so anyway.

the easier focus is on the secular. i think, it is a competitive world, as we all, in the 21st century, while constantly striving for upward mobility, tend to look for all manners of advantages, without giving due care to the fairness or morality in some of our endeavours.

i think, the overwhelming need for competitive advantage or a perception of it, outweighs any other consideration. in this context governmental behaviours or societal restrictions, such as quotas in education or jobs, have been imposed.

i think while these have had a higher purpose in intent, ie uplift of the majority of the tamil groups, from our own viewpoint, we see them as discriminatory tactics, aimed at our suppression.

enough has been talked about it and its inevitablility of its continuance for the next forseeable future. by and large, not only have we survived, but have prospered. where a door has been closed, we have discovered others, and many a times, to our own pleasant surprise.

personally, i am yet to meet a moping TB youth mourning over a denied medical or engineering seat. i may be myopic or the proverbial ostrich here, i agree.

the religious aspect is a different issue.

the concept of non brahmin priests is not alien to hinduism. especially tamil nadu. transplanted tamil hindu cultures in south africa and mauritius have non hindu priests. many many temples have non brahmin priests.

in this context, the formal initiation, through study, of non brahmin priests should be welcomed.

there are two good reasons for this: first, priesthood does not appear to be a viable career choice, i think, among the more ambitious TB youth. nothing wrong with this.

it just means that there are fewer TB priests available. in the broad long range interests of tamil hinduism, nothing could be better, than a class of committed, educated priests drawn from all communities, and united only in their quest, mastery and propagation of hindu values.

MK probably, in my opinion, did more to the cause of tamil hinduism, in the long term.

it may take a while before non brahmin priests be a familiar sight on amavasya or weddings, but their presence in the temples is a welcome sight, that i would like to witness during one of my visits to tamil nadu.

the other, is the fact, that most of the temples have been built and maintained, till recently by rich non brahmins. this is a key fact, that is often forgotten in any emotion bound arguements.

non brahmins have a greater stake and interest in the preservation of tamil hinduism, for tamil hinduism, is their lifeblood. as tamil brahmins, we need to further cultivate this bond towards a common cause.

it is only when we are united, that we will be able, not only to fend off, the increasingly perceived aggression by christian sects, but move forward and win more adherents from other faiths to ours.

if we have conquered the jains out of tamil nadu a millenium ago, we should be able to do the same now. peacefully, through logic, propagation and conviction. these are, and have been always our best tools.

tamil hinduism cannot grow by shrinking. the same goes for tamil brahmins, as an identity, and without its caste trimmings.

thank you.

Personal faith is totally different from secularism. Brahmins are highly secularist by nature. Every community has both good and bad people and brahmin community also is no exception to this rule. No community could be treated as entirely bad. Temple entry in Tamilandu was first permitted to Dalits by Rajaji. Rajaji came out of caste system by allowing his own daughter to marry Mahatma Gandhi's son.

The dravidan movement has lost its relevance today. For getting admission to Engineering or Medical colleges, it is sufficient if one has money. Most of the medical and engineering insitutions in Tamilnadu are run by politicians belonging to almost all parties and their only motto is `Money' and not social uplifitment. On the contrary one or two colleges run by brahmin community people don't collect capitation fee and admit students belonging to all communities and religions purely on merit basis.

Today brahmins are not exploiting other communities. Our own elected representatives irrespective of party affliation are exploiting poor and innocent people by collecting `capitation fee' and exorbitant `tuition fee'. Most of the brahmin children moved out of this environement and are well settled both in Other states of India as well as abroad. Still poor brahmins are very much there inside Tamilnadu who don't even dream of Medical or Engineering degree and the present reservation policy has no relevance to them.

Commercialisation and exploitation of our own tamilians are done by politicians mostly belonging to Dravidian Parties. Right from school to professional college, these benamy institutions of politicians are exploiting the public at large. Tamil brahmins as a whole don't have any role in this business.

i think, while discussing this topic, one of the aspects we have not given much attention to, is the separation of the dichotomy of the tamil brahmin ie his religious vs secular life.

Shri.Kunjuppu,

2 important things I learned from you in my life, in a short span of 2 quarters.

ie,Finest usage of Vocab.. How much I mugged up Vocabs or anagrammatize the 'The Hindu' editorials(for competitive exams), but then, some vocabs when presented in right context, will get deep engraved in mind, so easily,without any effort for byheart..for eg,the usage of vocab 'Voyeurs' (a cruel word though),which I picked up so easily, without any mugging, or memory recollection work.. Thou Art Smart..

Secondly, the way you present things crispily with your writing skill.. Wish you had a handle name 'Kushwantsingh'uppu!!.. The way you present your mirthful views, yet thoughtful like 'Piercing a needle in banana',whilst ensuring that no one is hurt in the middle ,without any name calling.....And,ensuring, every one is answered to their mouthful,with your politically correct clinchers ..Awesome..

This post is a literal master piece..And also yet another post which you wrote about 'EVR', which Ive book marked....

Im tying to copy you,doesnt matter If I cannot helpmyself of being my own.. I know,it may take a decade or three,for me to groom up to this level..

Im copying you, I admit!! Hope you wont ask me for royalties!!

.........Commercialisation and exploitation of our own tamilians are done by politicians mostly belonging to Dravidian Parties. Right from school to professional college, these benamy institutions of politicians are exploiting the public at large. Tamil brahmins as a whole don't have any role in this business.

venkat,

it appears, from your viewpoint, that the tamil brahmins, have no responsibility for the educational malaise in tamil nadu. i agree with that.

if at all anything, we have not taken advantage of participating in the commercialization of education, which is a growth industry in india. after all, we have a tradition for learning, and is there any harm making a livelihood of it?

did we miss the boat here? also, had we gone gung ho into starting schools and colleges, just like the christians did, maybe we would have had a bigger clout than what we have now? maybe we lost a chance to improve our influence in the society?

just look at the number of parents lining up to admit their children in the choice schools. and perhaps only a handful run by TBs.

to tell you a story: in the late 60s, a small one room olai school was started in my neighbourhood by a young christian couple. they rented the front yard of a home, barely 30 ft x 20 ft, and within the year filled it with about 60 kids.

in a short period of 10 years, they moved to a larger premises, moved up the ladder to higher secondary, a couple of thousand kids, a few school buses... people near mandavalli bus stand will know st. john's higher secondary school.

not the greatest of schools, but fulfilling a need in the community, and the owners, by now extremely wealthy, and very much a voice in the society.

i am introspecting thus, not out of any desire to find fault with our own flock. perhaps there are lessons to be learned here, for after all, in addition to the inherent nobility of the deed, starting a school needs very little capital, provides employment to others, and above all is very remunerative.

also, it binds us closer to the community that we live, and help us serve it, by running an honest institution without bribes or capitation fees.

... and our population is still growing...and so the market is not yet saturated. i think so.

Dear Mr.Kunjuppu

I fully agree with your views that Brahmin`s have withdrawn from teaching line in the recent past. Our traditional job is `spreading knowledge' for the entire society. Since Govt schools and colleges brought reservation policy, brahmins have withdrawn from teaching profession.

It is high time we have a series relook at the teaching profession. Probably brahmin associations can start promoting schools and colleges(preferably arts & science colleges were no reservation is applied) and impart quality education to younger generation. These schools and colleges could be started even in rural areas were land costs are lower and make it partially residential (modern Gurukula). We have to motivate young Brahmin couples to take up teaching profession and we should support them by providing residential accommodation and decent salary so that they are self sufficient and also motivated to take up the job.

I am an alumini of National College, Trichy and some of my batchmates are meeting in another fortnight. We are all in the late fifties and are on the verge of retirement. We intend starting a school on a charitable basis. Two of our batchmates are heading two leading schools in Tamilnadu as Principal/Head-Master and we intend using their expertise in running the school. I request your valuable inputs in our new venture.

Thanks and regards,

R.Venkataramani

We good post. You brought all the things into the picture.
Mr.சோ அவர்கள்:fear:
What he is doing ?
He is broadcasting எங்கே பிராமணன் ? Such kind of show should be
ignored by our community, i feel nobody else is watching except elders who are at home ?
By these kind of shows we are earning more and more hatred from other community.:closed_2:

Tamil non-brahmin tribes had given us lots of respect.But, i guess we miss used them
and betrayed them.With untouchability,shurdas etc.:fear:

Whenever i bring my friends to my home, my patti used to shout at me , wash the places
and something which i can't share here.

During school days. we are studious,only that nothing else.
How many of us participated in sports activity ?
We are told to study,study,study...nothing else.:noidea:

During college days, when all the boys enjoy we are dressed like old man and you can see that
in many movies how brahmins boys are shown in tamil media.
example : சேது (அம்பி character) , அந்நியன் (அம்பி again). This is very true in other parts of
tamil nadu except chennai or coimbatore.

Again, We call ourself Tamil Brahmins, there was தமிழ் மொழி போராட்டம்
How many of us participated in that ? People died for தமிழ் மொழி.
But we learnt Hindi and were writing prathmik madhyama exams.

thank you

There is a live thread going on "Marriage Delays", main reason is
most of the girls got married outside our community by falling in love.
Why ? Do you think girls will fall in love with guys like அம்பி infornt of guys like சேது.
காது பட பருப்பு, தயிர் சாதம், சோப்ளாங்கி நு பேச கேட்டுருக்கேன் :horn:

And we were selfish during college as well as school days.
Which made us to make a small circle only among us.You think, group of அம்பிs joined together always talking about studies.
Then nothing else.
We brought uplike that.
why i m saying all these things is as
children, to enable them to fit into the communities where they live
kunjappu said

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back