• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India's Modi faces opposition from farmers to land reforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi sought on Sunday to stave off farmer protests against his efforts to make it easier for businesses to buy land, after opposition to the bill overshadowed a burst of progress on economic reform.
Tussles over land acquisition have locked up hundreds of billions of dollars of infrastructure developments, and looser rules are important for Modi's vision of building modern cities and industrial corridors crisscrossing India.

But opposition parties have successfully portrayed proposed changes to a land purchase act, including exemption from getting consent of 80 percent of landowners for some projects, as anti-farmer - a damaging charge in a country that is still mostly rural.

India's Modi faces opposition from farmers to land reforms

I do not own any land or business in India, but I am interested in India's progress.

India's Modi faces opposition from farmers to land reform

I am an admirer of Shri Narendra Modi, but I am afraid that Gujarat model will not workout in all States.
Unlike many other States in Gangetic plains or the Punjab or the Southern States like Andhra and Tamil Nadu,the economy of Gujarat and Rajastan is not based on Agriculture. In spite of advancement in Technology, Agriculture remains the main occupation of more than 60 per cent of the people in our Country. Let us not forget,thanks to the green revolution created by Sri C.Subramanian and Dr M.S.Swaminathan, our Country achieved self sufficiency in food, for the first time. It is imperative that all our legislations should protect and safe guard the interests of farmers first. As of today agriculture is passing through many hurdles, due to natural causes and Government's inadiquate action and high rate of corruption. Already many educated youngsters from villages are disposing off their agricultural lands and running away to Cities to earn their living. If their lands are taken over without their consent, they will become slaves in their own place to the mighty FDI Companies on the "industrial corridars" envisaged by Modi Government.

I hope good sense of fairness will prevail on the law makers and give protection to the farmers in their efforts to safe-guard the growth of agriculture.

உழுதுண்டு வாழ்வாரே வாழ்வார்மற் றெல்லாம்
தொழுதுண்டு பின்செல் பவர். (குறள்)

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Kiran Mazumdar, the biotech industrialist has said the she is constantly in touch with agriculture and farmers; majority of the farmers approve the land bill.

Anyway, modi's assurance in his man ki baath, that the chain will be - government lands, waste lands and farmers' lands as the last resort may dispel some resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back