• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India's top court temporarily halts conviction of opposition leader for mocking Modi's surname

prasad1

What a travesty. It is amazing this can happen in a democracy. Just mocking a name can land you in jail.

India’s top court on Friday temporarily halted the criminal defamation conviction of opposition leader Rahul Gandhi for mocking the prime minister’s surname. His party said it would now seek to have Gandhi reinstated as a member of parliament.

A fierce critic of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his main challenger in the 2024 polls, Gandhi was ousted from Parliament after his conviction by a magistrate’s court in March.

The Supreme Court stayed the conviction, which means it is temporarily halted while the court goes into Gandhi’s appeal in detail before issuing a final ruling.

I am not a fan of Rahul Gandhi, nor a Modi Bhakt.

This post is nonpolitical. It is an informational post about India Judiciary

What the prince of gandhi family said is why all corrupt and fraudulent people have "Modi" in their name.

Anyone can see how stupid and callous this remark is.

If someone says, why all cheats are "Iyers", will it be acceptable? or if it is said why all terrorists are "khans", the same people will be outraging. What RG said is similar to that and worse because "Modi" is the name used by a community. The original case was filed by a member belonging to the Modi community. What RG said amounts to demonizing a community just because of one Nirav modi or lalit modi.

The politicians must be held to high standards and should not be allowed to say whatever they want especially when it comes to demonizing any community. The high court's conviction was on solid grounds. The quantum of punishment is debatable of course, but the conviction is correct.

I am able to see the issue because neither I have hatred against Modi nor I am a bootlicker of Gandhi family.

Latest ads

Back