• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian social system - Devdutt Pattanaik

Among all the religions in the world..only Hinduism is always trying to decode or giving it a different twist.

It seems as if one is in constant battle with his/ her own ideology.

I think its high time one realizes that what we call as Hinduism is an aggregate of various school of thoughts/ tribal traditions/ superstition/ vedic / non vedic/ varna based practices etc.

Lets learn to accept that there is no such thing as one size fits all.

There can be no actual " unity" in Hinduism cos the differences are too much though some vedic culture has managed to form some common grounds.

I always wondered..in case of Mariamman worship..She is part Parashurams mother Renuka Devi and part some tribal lady fused into one body..head of the tribal lady but body is Renuka Devi.

Does this spell of an era where Vedic was having an influence over local tribal goddesses?

Who knows?

Anyway as I said earlier..unity isnt really possible..unless there is an Abhinandan Varthaman and temporarily everyone gets united for him coming back safely.

Its like everyone waiting for Rama to come back to Ayodha only in this case..Abhi was Rama and Seeta both and no Vanaras here to help him..only Kashmiri Vanaras who beat him up!

So a mustache can unite India!

Renukaji,

I don't see anything wrong in different interpretations of the Hindu culture and traditions and the influence by other religions. And supporters will always try to glorify their religion and faith, and find common grounds in the wide diversity.

Absolutely agree with your view that Hinduism is a aggregate of various schools of thoughts and that's the beauty of our religion. It allowed dissent, and encouraged various schools, and despite huge differences and fights among them, most of them coexisted till invasions uprooted some of them.

That does not mean, there "was" no unity in Hinduism.

If this were not to be the case, all Hindu kingdoms would not have united under the great srivijayan (Vijayanagar) kingdom and stopped the Mughal invasion to south.

The biggest failure is that we did not reform our religion and abolish the caste system either during the British regime or right after independence. Instead we have messed up completely leading to continued dissension and incessant fights.

Hence Hinduism today is divided unlike the monolith of other religions.

JK.

Latest ads

Back