• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian Media - A Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media's stand on certain issues

My perception is media is taking a stand on the side it benefits it or atleast doesn't harm it.
On Babri Masjid,on nude pictures,on saffronization of education it has a stand.
On the reservation issue what is its stand? On Cauvery issue which side they back?

Assume people are shouting and backing MF Hussain and others for drawing nude pictures of Hindu Goddess.Media also seems to voice for freedom of expression...(This issue got more publicity than lives lost in Sun TV attack..Rahul Gandhi couldnt win the number of seats the independant candidates did got more attention of the media)

Will the same people dare to draw the nude picture of say a regional figure (may be imaginary figure) inside that state? Will the media back them ?

Media doesn't need to be one sided.But it cannot hold different yardsticks for different people.

Vibrant, free media is instrumental in formation of public opinion. The more objective the media is, the better informed the citizens are.

If we study the biographies of great leaders, we find that they never rely on a single news paper for their information and in fact their day starts by going through 4-5 different news papers to get a balanced perspective.

The point is: Do we expect the media to be messengers of truth or messengers of opinion ? If so , then whose opinion ?

Media should facilitate a civilized discussion

The point is: Do we expect the media to be messengers of truth or messengers of opinion ? If so , then whose opinion ?

LQ,

It has been established that media cannot be "messengers of absolute truth". If they have to be only "messsengers of truth" then they cannot have any "ideological background".

I guess media will do a yeoman service just by providing a voice to the "minority view". Worldover and especially in India 'might becomes right' and minority view is mercilessly crushed.

Media can take up the cudgel on behalf of the minority view & provide a forum. Indian Electronic Media is doing it's bit but there is a long way to go.

Herein i would like to point out the general intolerance in India for an uncommon, unpopular view. Media can only do so much to bring opposing voices on the same forum & mediate for a sensible debate. It is upto the participants not to convert the discussion into a match of lung power. Very often, the discussion goes back by few decades to discuss a current issue.

Media can be opinion makers but in my view they should be careful enough to present "their own view" distinct from the other views so as to not colour the reporting. It will be a grave ethical mistake if the media presents "its own view" as the view of the masses.

dear sir,
media world over with few exceptions are manipulative. the indian language papers always are family managed and are specifically centered towards selfish interest. the english paper is controlled by the left wing activists so they are unable to give a fair account. for ex the recent controversy of opinion poll in tn. an opinion poll should not have generated mass hysteria leading to exit of a promising minister and death of three people!!
2 the hoo haw generated by the media regarding the "ART" in vadodra?!
because it is abt hindu gods?
regards
eswaran

Great point

My perception is media is taking a stand on the side it benefits it or atleast doesn't harm it.
On Babri Masjid,on nude pictures,on saffronization of education it has a stand.
On the reservation issue what is its stand? On Cauvery issue which side they back?

Assume people are shouting and backing MF Hussain and others for drawing nude pictures of Hindu Goddess.Media also seems to voice for freedom of expression...(This issue got more publicity than lives lost in Sun TV attack..Rahul Gandhi couldnt win the number of seats the independant candidates did got more attention of the media)

Will the same people dare to draw the nude picture of say a regional figure (may be imaginary figure) inside that state? Will the media back them ?

Media doesn't need to be one sided.But it cannot hold different yardsticks for different people.

Fire,

Good point.

My take is :

On reservation, the media is clearly polarised - English Electronic Media is pro-merit (which IMHO is different from anti-reservation), regional media is unabashedly pro reservation. The English Electronic Media has clearly articulated it's position & has clearly played the role of a catalyst. It is perhaps the only section of media which gave the Youth for Equality a chance to present their case before the nation. Pushing the father of mandal VP Singh to a corner & forcing an admission from him for reservation for economically poor upper castes (as a lollipop) was no mean achievement.

The Print media sadly bowed to the pressures of being politically correct & almost all print media except the "Pinks" walked a fine line. Pinks, i guess will be worried only if quota is pushed in private sector.

On Cauvery, the regional electronic media, as expected played the state's tune. The EEM only provided a forum of discussion & preferred to look at the larger issue of river uplinking. I guess to form it's own opinion, it may not have all the technical information to make it's case. The farmers' voice on both sides sadly is suppressed even today.

The EEM has organised several discussions on MF Hussain issue. Till date the media has resisted asking the uncomfortable question on why such a "special treatment" is reserved for Hindu gods only but it has surely pointed out other cases too like Danish cartoon issue & Da Vinci code. The problem as i see is that the way the Saffron brigade reacts to such controversies diverts the attention from the cause to effect. I generally feel that Hindus should come forward for a healthy debate on 'religious sentiments vs artistic freedom'. I hope a middle ground can be found.

Is it because there is no concept of 'insult' or 'getting offended' in Hinduism ? OR is it because we are extremely broad-minded people unlike bigoted others ?

Sample this: It is only in India that you find wine shops with names like "Shri Venkateswara wines", Paan/Beedi shops with names like "Ganesh Paan Bhandaar/Laxmi Paan Bhandaar" etc.

In hundreds and thousands of villages, towns and cities we come across such names of establishments and we do not take offence. Could anyone imagine such or similar things happening in Islamic, Christian or other religious majority countries ? OR is it because we do not associate these activities with 'vices' ?

The EEM has organised several discussions on MF Hussain issue. Till date the media has resisted asking the uncomfortable question on why such a "special treatment" is reserved for Hindu gods only but it has surely pointed out other cases too like Danish cartoon issue & Da Vinci code. The problem as i see is that the way the Saffron brigade reacts to such controversies diverts the attention from the cause to effect. I generally feel that Hindus should come forward for a healthy debate on 'religious sentiments vs artistic freedom'. I hope a middle ground can be found.

There are issues to sort within the community first !

Is it because there is no concept of 'insult' or 'getting offended' in Hinduism ? OR is it because we are extremely broad-minded people unlike bigoted others ?

Well, LQ, this is because we have only "Uppuma" and no "Ulema" !!!!!

I honestly feel that Hindu community is "torn" between "broadmindedness and defending rights".

A terrible example by my own admission but if you permit me to quote : Hinduism is like the Indian Cricket Umpires before Elite Panel was mandatory.....Most LBW decisions will go against the Home team just to prove the fact that Indian Umpires are impartial !!!!!

So, in our community we do have a bunch of "pseudo-intellectuals" like Arundati Roy etc... who believe that hinduism can display broadmindedness o-n-l-y by swallowing insults....

The actions of the Sangh Parivar also effectively divert the attention from the issue to the damage caused by these guys.

Very often one issue which is thrown at Hinduism is that while there is eroticism (in the eyes of the beholder) in Hindu sculptures etc... why should you raise a hullabaloo about some paintings etc.... ? I haven't seen a good explanation for this....

Firstly i think we should have a healthy debate about what constitutes "breach of hindu sensibilities" & define a norm....Only then i guess, we will be able to take any affirmative stand on the issue.

SIRS - Eroticism in hinduism is not official. there is no sanction for eroticism in hinduism, and the erotic works of many hindus are their personal views without any official recognition from any hindu authority. but the eroticism in other religions, particularly islam, is official and sanctioned by the top levels themselves!!
if nudity in present day paintings can be justified on the basis of eroticism in hinduism, even killings can be justified on the excuse that even gods have killed their opponents. only people without common sense will put forth these sort of absurd arguments in the name of 'secularism' and 'rationalism'.

Last edited:
The media role

I guess the media successfully have created the image of secular and communal divisions and have given color to BJP and its supporters.

Well have it given 'casteist' color to anyone?? No way!!! You can report atrocities commited by Hindus...If you say 'secular parties' in you newspaper and publish news as 'what they call pseudo secular congress' do you have the guts to color Veeramani as casteist...Dont DK guys speak against a caste(that to so indecently infront of his frontline leaders..)?In TN Brahmins are the only community that everyone can abuse publicly without any fear (of law or goons or any retaliation...Here they wont even publish the news.Leave taking a stand.) Similarly on DMK,VP singh,Arjun Singh etc etc... No.They cannot.Their office will vanish if they inside TN.Their profit will hit.

Coming to regional issue.If Tamil channels and movies are blocked and severe restrictions are imposed wont it affect freedom of expression?They give flash news in their channels on the first day and forget it.Its not a big issue as Fanna or Water for the media .

Dont i have the right to choose which language or in which language i study...Shud a Govt enact a law?? Assume it has the right it has to provide the proven positive points.Have they actively opposed it( On the first day they wil publish news with strong words ...Say that as vote bank politics..Thats it.Issue over.Court will come for rescue.)?

Coming to erotic paintings I see nude sculptor works in temples.But many people worship Goddess Saraswathi and Durga as their mother.If you consider the stone as Vinayaga then breaking it (with the purpose of insulting u..Tomorrow there will be a so called rational brigade start breaking statues in temples..."If you can do it after Vinayagar Chaturti ,Hinduism has allowed it" will be their answer.Do you think that is justified ) will normally hurt u.Im not sure if we have nude pictures/sculptures of those Gods in temples.

One step going ahead why cannot you ask the question, If Hindu Goddess herself appear in nude,why not Hindus?? Is that not a rational question..Pose it that also.
Final point is , many of us never go for temples to enjoy the nudity of the sculptures in our temples......I am afraid thats not the case with the art.

Dera issue and a mouth shut media!!!

Assume a drama is done by a Hindu organisation , like what happened in Punjab ( As far as I understand Dera a leader of Sikh sect , appeared in one of his Guru's attire in a news paper ad, Akalis protested heavily . Dera was forced to ask apology.Situation in punjab was tense quite some days.) , there will be a debate for atleast one month on the freedom of choosing a dress....
Even it happened when there is a restriction imposed on Anna university.Its a much larger case.They should have raised their voice.They should have called Akalis fundamentalists.Politicians should have come down heavily on those people.What happened?
Nothing. Agnivesh who can agressively attack Hindus worked for a settlement.
Panikkar issue was zoomed into a bigger issue than this one.
I feel our media people dont have guts.They cannot take on the unruly if they are powerful.I dont know anybody writing against politicians , having criminal backgrounds .....People having multiple criminal charges are still considered a hero in TN and are respected ,given ministerial births.Media is all for soft targets.

I am eagerly waiting for atleast one sting operation on TN politicians( there was an expose (?) that they use same needle to give injections for many in Govt hospitals) which is not happening.

Not the job of media

I feel our media people dont have guts.They cannot take on the unruly if they are powerful.I dont know anybody writing against politicians , having criminal backgrounds .....

People having multiple criminal charges are still considered a hero in TN and are respected ,given ministerial births.Media is all for soft targets.

I am eagerly waiting for atleast one sting operation on TN politicians

Fire ji,

I don't think it is the job of the media to "take on" anyone. Media's job is to provide a forum for various voices, opinions to be heard. English Electronic Media is doing it's job to a certain extent in my view.

However media shows a tendency to give prominence to what 'sells'. They are very conscious of the TRPs that they don't take up 'less glamorous' issues. But it is changing, albeit slowly.

"People having multiple criminal charges are still considered a hero in TN" -

What ?

ONLY People having multiple criminal charges ARE Heros in UP & Bihar. So, if you are in TN, thank your stars on this count.

On why there are no stings on TN politicians - who cares ?

At a national level, TN is just a rogue state, led by cribbing, arm-twisting, casteist, anti-nationalistic morons. TN politicians should first be capable of understanding what is a "sting" to be able to defend themselves.

Also i can't bear to listen to the TN politicians heavy "dhamil accented english".. Except for a few suave guys like PC, MSI most of them barely manage to do well than vadivelu in "Manadhai thirudi vittai" - 'no, no, no, bad words.....one much, two much, three much" english.

Just listen to D Raja speak in English

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphic violence on TV - no limits?

I am wondering if there are any limits on the amount of graphic violence shown on Indian TV? I inadvertently clicked on one of the videos about the caste conflicts in Rajasthan, and it shows men with sickles attacking a "member of another community", in Indian news lingo. While they are careful not to mention the communities, it is highly objectionable that such graphic content showing killing of people is broadcast on national daytime TV. This is like going back to the barbaric medieval ages.

If a woman's body is shown uncovered, it would attract howls of protests, while the dismembering of a human being is shown raw on daytime TV, including to children who might be watching TV after school. It can cause lasting psychological damage to children. Even I feel extremely queasy after watching this ghastly carnage. Society is degenerating into a violent cultureless morass at this rate. Where are the censors, the guardians of morality? Who is keeping these news channels in check?

Very valid question regarding the censorship of media.

Going by the standards in Indian movies I wonder if there is any censorship regarding objectification of women besides the violence aspect that you brought up.

I am wondering if there are any limits on the amount of graphic violence shown on Indian TV? I inadvertently clicked on one of the videos about the caste conflicts in Rajasthan, and it shows men with sickles attacking a "member of another community", in Indian news lingo. While they are careful not to mention the communities, it is highly objectionable that such graphic content showing killing of people is broadcast on national daytime TV. This is like going back to the barbaric medieval ages.

If a woman's body is shown uncovered, it would attract howls of protests, while the dismembering of a human being is shown raw on daytime TV, including to children who might be watching TV after school. It can cause lasting psychological damage to children. Even I feel extremely queasy after watching this ghastly carnage. Society is degenerating into a violent cultureless morass at this rate. Where are the censors, the guardians of morality? Who is keeping these news channels in check?

dear sir/madam,
there is nothing wrong with accented english. many europeans spk english with heavy accent. however we should follow japs and spk in our own lingo so that the tv reporter can run a scroll in english.
regards
eswaran

dear sir/madam,
there is nothing wrong with accented english. many europeans spk english with heavy accent. however we should follow japs and spk in our own lingo so that the tv reporter can run a scroll in english.
regards
eswaran

Sorry, I wasn't sure who you were responding to.

Debate

I dont know how many members could catch the Ramnath Goenka Debate about excellence in Journalism.

A great panel - Rajdeep, Barkha, N Ram, Shekhar Gupta & couple of others from Times & another prominent hindi magazines.

Audience comprised of eminent politicians and the President.

The child-like enthusiasm with which the President participated was a sight to behold. And even during his short participation, he found time to define what is development.

Development according to Dr Kalam - a + b + c where

a = GDP growth rate
b = Decline in the poverty levels of 220 Mn indians in BPL
c = Value systems such as joint family.

One may agree or disagree with Dr Kalam but the fervour and passion he has for nation development, omg, is infectious. I mean if there can be a way he can be made president forever, i would back it.

And to think the replacement of Dr Kalam, unfair it may be to appraise even before assuming office, Ms Pratibha has a huge reputation / expectation to live up to.

Fabulous program, easily the best i have seen in quite some time.

Dear Sri Hari Ji,

I have heard stories about Dr. Kalam from sources that have worked with and under him as scientists(sorry to toot my own horn, but unfortunately / fortunately I have come across such folks during my life). A consistent image emerges.

He is a person who would give his very juniors' ideas importance and promote both the idea and the person if it had any merit. He is humble and did not force his scientific ideas on others.

I think what the Congress did in not extending his term is not correct and proper. He has always acted in the best interests of India.

Pranams,
KRS

Hi Hari/KRS:
It is a shame on India not to recognize this great man. I still go back and re-read his speech to some students in Hyderabad where he talks about how the very same Indians when they are Singapore, they would not dare to spit and as soon as they come back to India, they do! He talked about rich people in Bombay letting their dogs mess up all over and then complain about the dirtiness of streets. He mentioned how in America, people carry plastic bags with them when they walk their dogs (I do, too, whenever I watch my daughter's dog).
Hey! I thought the presidential elections (though it was a joke!) were over. Now I read they are getting ready for the vice-presidential election!!?? Don't they put up the candidates for President and Vice President at the same time?

Now I read they are getting ready for the vice-presidential election!!?? Don't they put up the candidates for President and Vice President at the same time?

If they did, how can we then ensure that the "soap opera" continues ?

Bold & Beautiful ran, for god knows, how many years....but since 1947, the longest run soap opera in India is the politics of 'Old and bountiful'

This beautiful article by T.R.Jawahar is self-explanatory.

28 July 2007
[SIZE=+2]Yours disrespectfully[/SIZE] T R JAWAHAR
These are not the most courteous of times. With reputations of even national 'heroes', past and present, going for a toss and the credibility of public personalities and institutions constantly under test, disrespect looks like a natural national habit and a generational trait. Indeed, the underlying irreverence that often runs through these columns, and pointed out by many readers, some respectfully and others not so (can I complain?), is only a reflection of a national mood which is one of large scale disorientation. Admittedly, this is not a pleasant state of mind to be in, particularly when humans have an inherent yearning for hope, happiness and harmony. The media is often blamed for the all round impetuousness and cynicism. Sure, it is not above board and certainly not exempt from elementary ethics. As the harbinger of bad news and a sponsor of bad manners (some of the talk shows on TV give me an inferiority complex), the proverbial four fingers deliver a categorical indictment of the media. The multiplicity of channels and newspapers and the resultant race for scoops have ensured that scandal mongering and sensationalism are media's second nature. Nothing enthuses or inspires a media hound more than the whiff of a corrupt politico, the scent of a scam, an out of context utterance or an unseemly act by a VIP. The media pounces with Pavlovian precision, tears the subject to shreds, whets its appetite and moves on to the next target. And underneath the mounds of dirt that it digs up lie reputations and careers. In a sense, it goes with the trade. Respect?Wrong number!
But why shoot the messenger when the message is loud and clear? What is the common man's take on all that is happening around him? To believe that his disenchantment is entirely a media making is not just, ah, well, disrespecting his intelligence but also overestimating the media's power. So, how is it that in a land where respect and reverence for elders, idols - stone and human - and even the elements of nature have run for centuries, so much of disrespect is now on parade? The facts are: True eminence is fast evaporating, the residue of really respectable people either does not fit into a morally depleted system or is scared away by an over-intrusive media and importantly, public institutions and politicians have failed to deliver not just on their promises, but also on their basic duties. Several recent events can not only explain why respect is in such short supply but also point to its total extinction from the human heart soon enough.
The Presidential poll is a striking case. Now that Pratiba Patil has settled in R.Bhavan with a 'respectable' tag, what happens to all those charges? Has the law of the land come to a dead end at Raisina Hill? Should the media call it quits? So next time, some one as tainted or more, runs for a high office, should we all, hypocritically say, 'I have the highest respect for the person and the Office' and then set about thrashing that person, or just skip the formalities and start thrashing rightaway? In the present case, with the basic charges remaining unexplained and unresolved, how do we retrieve and reinstate the President's lost respect? And finally, who is to blame for all the disrespect - the person or the mirror?
Manmohan was a highly respected man. But today, not just columnists but even the man on the street routinely refer to the PM as a puppet. Who caused the slide? In TN we don't talk of just respect but self-respect. But what a racket this self-respect has turned out to be! For, can any self-respecting person swallow the fawning felicitations, filial bondings and fatal feuds that the State's first family displays in full public glare? Or the AIADMK wherein fulsome flattery and the ability to fall head over heels, literally, are the basic qualifications for even party membership. Or look at the way Ramadoss and Karunanidhi 'respect' each other every day! May be the Pratibas, Manmohans, Ks and Js are not looking for respect, but are after things more tangible!
The law of the land does ordain respect as a legal obligation in some cases. The Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act punishes whoever disrespects in a public place the Indian National Flag or the Constitution of India or any part thereof. And these must be respected even if there is no such law. Parliament and State Assemblies have their respect insulated by Privilege. But, with the live televising of their preceedings such protection has become meaningless because the public are quite alive to the behavior of their honourable reps. And whatever those official telecasts miss, the candid cameras make up. And the picture is invariably that of the lawmakers as a lawless lot, with scant respect for the law they make! Little wonder, the respect for MPs and MLAs in public eye is nought and next to nought ... respectively!
The courts have their respect guaranteed by the provision of Contempt which acts as a scarecrow for overzealous mediamen or the public. But should judicial corruption be pushed under the carpet on that count? Also, the painfully slow process of law and frustration of law even when it takes its own course, as in the Afzal case, does shake the confidence of people. Again, the law of the land has been quite ineffectual in bringing political crooks to book. While respect is presently a pre-condition and so a formal affair, with transparency and speed, the judiciary would have also earned it.
Then there are moral dilemmas like respect for elders and the dead. Are Karunakarans and Karunanidhis, who are past their eighties but no passive political players covered under 'respect for elders'? Can Nehru, Gandhi or Jinnah rest in peace in their graves along with the last respects and skip posthumous scrutiny, even when unflattering facts turn up afresh? Particularly when their acts continue to haunt the present? Or how do you insulate Anna, Periyar, Kamaraj or MGR when current politics is carried on in their name? But if the dead are entitled to a blanket cover, what about the likes of Saddam?
A person or object aspiring for respect should be like a magnet capable of attracting it. But, irrespective of whether it is commanded or demanded, you can only respect what you trust. A tall order, even for the Almighty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back