• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian Achievement in Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting news appearing in the Times of India(October 11 Chennai Edition page 9).

Nothing moves without money in govt depts, says SC

New Delhi: Stating that “nothing moves without money”, the Supreme Court has expressed concern over growing corruption in government machinery, particularly in the income tax, sales tax and excise departments.
“It is very unfortunate that there is no control over corruption in the country. There is rampant corruption, particularly in the department of income tax, sales tax and excise departments. Nothing moves without money,” a Bench of Justices Markandeya Katju and T S Thakur said. The SC made the remarks while admitting an appeal filed by the CBI challenging the acquittal of an IT inspector Mohanlal Sharma by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Additional Solicitor General P P Malhotra, appearing for the CBI, submitted that Sharma was acquitted by the HC despite the trial court holding him guilty of demanding and accepting a bribe of 10,000 from an IT assessee. He was earlier sentenced to one year RI by the trial court.
In a sarcastic vein, the Bench said, “Why not government legalise corruption so that a specific amount is fixed for every case. Let us say if a man wants his case to be settled, he can be asked to pay Rs 2,500. That way every individual will know how much bribe he has to pay. There is no need for any bargaining by the official and the people will also know beforehand how much they have to pay without any worry... Poor government officials, we can’t blame them also because of the growing inflation.”
Sharma, who appeared in person, denied the allegation and said he was innocent and had been falsely implicated.
The Bench was not impressed with the argument and reiterated that corruption, particularly, was more rampant in the IT, sales tax and excise departments. The Bench then sought the views of senior counsel K K Venugopal on its suggestion to legalise corruption in the country.
However, the senior counsel said it would be better if good moral values were imparted in every school of the country as part of their curriculum so that at least the future generation would be free from the menace of corruption.
The case of the CBI was that Sharma had initially demanded an amount of Rs 25,000 from an assessee failing which he threatened to reopen his assessment. The deal was allegedly struck finally for Rs 10,000, when he was caught by the officials, the agency claimed.

Today Jaya in a new conf said

The British, during 90 years of Imperial rule from 1857 to 1947, is credited, at today's rupee value, with having looted India to the extent of Rs. 900 Crores.

where as the 2G scam will cost Rs. 1.76 lakh Crores.

CAG slams Raja for 'ignoring advice on 2G without logic'

thanks,

Correct Suresoo.

Telecom scam is the mother of all scams. Now CAG report is out and opposition is determined to shake the government.

Nobody knows how the money will be recovered.

All the best

Today Jaya in a new conf said

The British, during 90 years of Imperial rule from 1857 to 1947, is credited, at today's rupee value, with having looted India to the extent of Rs. 900 Crores.

where as the 2G scam will cost Rs. 1.76 lakh Crores.

CAG slams Raja for 'ignoring advice on 2G without logic'

thanks,
Dear Shri Suresoo,

The very same thought came to my mind when the CAG's report was in the tv news. If the British had not been there, some other Rajas or Kalmadis would have definitely made India much poorer than what the British could do with their colonial attitudes. Since our current vedantic philosophy tells us, in no ambiguous words, that renunciation is the way to moksha, I am sure, very many more Indians would have attained liberation due to the resultant poverty; we should rememberthat there was no deficit financing and the rupee was gold-based in those days.

Minister Raja is likely to be sacked after the Prime Minister returns from G20 summit at Seoul

Decision on Raja after PM return: Sources - The Times of India

All the best
Dear Shri RVR,

Some other nominee of DMK will get that ministry; Y instead of X, what difference will it make? And do you think the PM or Sonia are really innocent? Is there not a collective responsibility? Should not the PM too feel ashamed of having robbed the nation and tender his resignation?

Evolution of Corruption

1. Initially, corruption was a small amount of tips, for having done the job within a reasonable period. As can be understood, this kind of corruption
was restricted to small jobs done by lower level officials of the government machinery.

2. Next, bribes were demanded and taken for doing some work for someone, out of turn.

3. This amount gradually swelled and the amount demanded was in relation to / in proportion to the monetary value of the favours received by the
beneficiary, to which the beneficiary was legally entitled.

4. Awarding of contracts for execution of certain works or supply of certain goods and services also became a very popular source of corruption.
For passing the bills of awardee of such contracts, certain amount of cut-backs was taken as commission, which is euphemism for corruption.

5. Later. bigger corruption came into existence for execution of some illegal/unlawful jobs like overlooking tax/duty evasion, condoning pilferage/
misappropriation of funds, cheating or even helping out financial frauds.

6. Bye-passing/violating widely circulated/publicized rules and guidelines will be countenanced/tolerated or even encouraged, if the mutually agreed amount is paid to the deciding authority.

7. Corrupt officials go to the extent of teaching honest persons/groups as to how corruption can be made scientific, so that no one gets
caught, even when some leakage of information takes place.

8. Corrupt elements develop nexus with the police, judiciary, politicians, media and other influential sections of the society for mutual benefit and
protecting each other from the clutches of law.

9. High level corruption may involve anti-national activities like smuggling, stashing money abroad in safe tax havens, havala transactions, aiding and financing terrorism, marketing and supply of narcotic drugs and banned substances, manipulation of capital, forex and real estate markets.

10. Unbridled corruption may lead to black-mails and threats, killing, extortion and all other serious crimes figuring in the law books of the country.

Once the corruption becomes universal, as Indira Gandhi justified it 4 decades ago, it drives ordinary people to accept it, albeit reluctantly. This gives corruption some sort of social approval too. When this stage is reached, corruption becomes an incurable malaise and God only can save the nation.

Last edited:
There is now yet another new form of corruption, I am told. It is prevalent mostly in GOI corridors in New Delhi. The beneficiaries are crorepatis, and the benefit to them also runs in crores of rupees. They are asked to take care of the higher education abroad of the ward/s of the official/politician. Everything goes through scholarships in the foreign country, I am told and so even Interpol will not find it easy to unearth anything out of the way.

Knowledgeable members can correct me. I heard this from a person who had close contacts with one such industrialist crorepati.

Financing foreign jaunts, footing the cost of overseas medical treatment, financing purchase of movable and immovable assets in the name of the relatives of the corrupt, helping acquisition of the sick and loss making companies (Indian/foreign) whose immovable properties have huge value etc. are all several forms of corruption. The list is endless. I do not want to convert this topic into teaching different forms of corruption. Hence I stop here.

The list is endless. I do not want to convert this topic into teaching different forms of corruption. Hence I stop here.

:)

kalavum Kattru mara (Revathi, when are you going start typing in Tamil?? - asking myself!)

Namaskarams
Revathi

:)

kalavum Kattru mara (Revathi, when are you going start typing in Tamil?? - asking myself!)

Namaskarams
Revathi
Somewhere I read the correct rendering of the above verse is "kaLavum kattrum aRa", meaning 'avoid stealing and 'kattru' the meaning of which I have forgotten. Knowledgeable members like Pannvalan kindly elucidate.

Thanks for the compliments, Sangom.

'களவும் கற்று மற' என்பது சரியான பழமொழி தான். ஆனால், அதன் பொருள் தான் பின்னாளில் மாறி விட்டது.

இங்கே களவு என்ற சொல், திருட்டைக் குறிக்கவில்லை. மாறாக, அது களவு ஒழுக்கத்தைக் குறிப்பதாகும்.
சமஸ்க்ருதத்தில் இதை 'கந்தர்வ விவாஹம்' என்று சொல்வர். இது தமிழிலே, சங்க காலத்தில் பயின்ற ஒரு சொல்லாட்சி ஆகும். அக்கால சமுதாய நடைமுறையைப் பிரதிபலிக்கும் களவு ஒழுக்கம், இக்காலத்துக்குப் பொருந்தி வராத ஒன்றாகும்.

The nexus between Government and Industrialist on corruption is disturbing

But here is the allegations of nexus between
Lobbyist - Journalist -- Politicians
?Tell me what should I tell them?? | OPEN Magazine

The audio files show talks between
RADIA -- Corporate Lobbyist
BARKHA -- NDTV anchor / Journalist
RAJA -- Our Spectrum Raja

One conversation goes as
"Tell Sunnil Mittal, he has to work with Raja for next 5 years"
Sunnil Mittal -- Airtel CEO

In another conversation on MK
"Old Man is senile"

thanks,

Last edited:
The NDTV is going to Sue the magazine for defamation. Hope you saw today NDTV Barkha's show. If not do see the re telecast tomorrow.

The NDTV is going to Sue the magazine for defamation. Hope you saw today NDTV Barkha's show. If not do see the re telecast tomorrow.

NDTV may have a legal point in how the 'Cover Story' was written.

I had listened to some of the tapes and its clear Barkha and Vir Sanghvi were acting as go-between (and what did they get in return?? or is it service to the nation??). They had lost all/any credibility they had held before this.

It will be good, if we clean this up before the RAJA's loot this nation completely.

andru vellaiyargal adimai paduthinargal
indru arasialum, aluvalagangalalum adimai paduthi varugindranar
Endru thaniyum intha sudandira thagam

thanks,

Shekhar Gupta of Indian Express gives a very distorted picture to benefit the Congress only!
Ramnath Goenka, if alive today, will be fuming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back