• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India to Hand Out Free SIM Cards With Tourist Visas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent move...Will reduce the hassles in procuring SIM cards..Other countries are already doing it (Dubai, Saudi, Vietnam etc)..NRI's rejoice!!

India to Hand Out Free SIM Cards With Tourist Visas

Written by Danica Lo
August 29, 2016

Don't spend your money on SIM cards if you're heading to India this fall.

Distribution is expected to begin September 27—here's what you need to know.

If you're visiting India and planning on buying a SIM card to use in your own phone for the duration of the trip, you might want to consider postponing your travels until late September. For years, it's been notoriously difficult to procure a SIM in the subcontinent—from sourcing a retailer who's even willing to sell to a non-resident to endless paperwork, passport photos, documentation, and a complicated activation protocol. That's why the government has decided that, starting at the end of September, anyone arriving in India on an e-tourist visa—a visa that's available to residents of over 113 countries, including the United States—will be automatically be issued a SIM card, along with a welcome packet that includes a "dos and don'ts" list, maps, and emergency contact information. The government will issue the SIM cards through BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited), a state-owned telecommunications company that's the sixth-largest mobile service provider in the country.
"We had a number of meetings with the Home Ministry with regard to providing SIM cards to foreigner tourists when they land in India," Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma told Indian news agency PTI. "The ministry has finally agreed to our proposal. Now, it will take some time to start the facility."
The initiative is expected to launch on September 27, the United Nations's World Tourism Day. According to a recent report issued by the World Travel & Tourism Council, tourism comprised more than 6 percent of India's total GDP in 2015. The unprecedented move to provide tourists with SIM cards "comes as India attempts to attract more tourists," Mashable reports.
"It will make things hassle-free for international tourists as it’s not easy to procure a SIM for foreigners in the country," a government official told the Daily Mail when the scheme was first proposed early this year. Having access to a working cell phone while traveling in a foreign country "can also be helpful from the security point of view," said the source.

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/india-to-hand-out-free-sim-cards-with-tourist-visas

Last edited:
hi

im planning to visit in november....i may eligibile....i dont know....last year....when i visited chennai...i went to vodofone show room

and shown my foreign passport ...i got immediate sim card with all formalities within an hour...

The counters should be in airports when one is deplaning..Should be hassle free..It would then be a boon to tourists!

In october second week,navarathri presents a nice oppurtunity.

Rains and mangalore bondas[ from woodlands] make a nice combination.

Any takers for woodlands offer.

It is still open

Take reliance jio free sim if it is still available.

I collected one with cell phone.

The lyka 8 gb dual sim phone with a wonderful camera is great.

Connection not enabled yet.

But I use vodaphone sim on that phone as it is dual sim.

MTNL is trying to match reliance in tariff.

So a price war is on.

Buy reljio phone and beaten down shares of bharathi and idea.

Let us celebrate telecom revolution

Last edited:
Take reliance jio free sim if it is still available.

I collected one with cell phone.

The lyka 8 gb dual sim with a wonderful camera is great.

Connection not enabled yet.

But I use vodaphone sim on that phone as it is dual sim

Krishji,

What model cellphone you got?

Vganeji
It is flame1 , costs 4k plus.

Amazon offers it at competitive rates of 4K. Reliance franchise took 4500 from me.

Flame 1 has battery heating issue in case you use it continuously for 4 to 5 hours..Also camera resolution (front & rear) at 5 megapixel is low...But main plus is the speed on account of 4G LTE...User does not have a choice as it is bundled offering

Thanks vganeji for your input.

I shall use it sparingly.

4G is after a week .

There is a mad rush only for sim which is supposed to be free.

so all from slum colonies are in long queues to get them .

Aadhar card copies are taken in the morning and sims given at reliance outlet only in evening.

however phones with sim is available easily in other authorised stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back