• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Identifying one's true guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• pannvalan0001.jpg
    pannvalan0001.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 104
Sri Pannvalan,

Thanks for your poem.

It is my earnest feeling that a Guru will evolve during the course of a spiritual journey.

One need not have to identify a Guru and then start a spiritual journey.

My own great grand mother lost her husband at a very early age. She left my grand father to my great grand uncle and went for spiritual journey visiting temples. It seems she was going after temples and doing all sorts sundry services like cleaning etc. She didn't had a Guru except our traditional family Guru -HH Sankaracharya. But when she returned from Banaras at a very old age, She was considered as a Guru by many of our villagers.

Even today our family members consider Her as Guru apart from our traditonal Gurus - HH Sankaracharyas.

For a true seeker of God, a Guru will evolve in due course through the grace of God and we don't have to go after a Guru

All the best

rvr,

what would be the timelines of your g-granma?

i am reading another interesting book. again about the indian diaspora.

it appears, that with the 1800s coming to a close, lord bentinck (he of the thuggee ridding fame) also was successful to prevent sati among brahmins all over india.

a side effect of this was suddenly a huge spurt of brahmin widows whom nobody wanted. if they had a son, then they could claim a share of husband's property. otherwise the in-laws kicked them out.

their own family was reluctant to have a mu*dai in the house, and so these widows, congregated in varanasi. they used go around in groups, and apparently a mainstay of vaishnavaite functions (the saivites did not want anything to do with them).

so, when opportunity for migrant labour arose re mauritius, west indies, these were among the first to volunteer. amazing isn't it? those brahmin widows of yore, among the first of the desis to cross the kala pani!!

the jobs assigned for them in the sugar plantations was to sieve the sugar. but, it also gave them another chance of life. away from the indian shores, and relatives, these married again, and provided the foundations for the indian communities of maurities, trinidad, guyana et al.

one is own guru,for the 'self'.it's only a notional training,that other than your own self another human being as god or guru,so that enlightenement dawn finally,as moksham.but hh sankaracharyars,hh jeeyars,hh satkopans,hh mullahs,hh father brother nun...etc are helpful in realising the divinity inherent in all.sai ram.

rvr,

it appears, that with the 1800s coming to a close, lord bentinck (he of the thuggee ridding fame) also was successful to prevent sati among brahmins all over india.

a side effect of this was suddenly a huge spurt of brahmin widows whom nobody wanted. if they had a son, then they could claim a share of husband's property. otherwise the in-laws kicked them out.

their own family was reluctant to have a mu*dai in the house, and so these widows, congregated in varanasi. they used go around in groups, and apparently a mainstay of vaishnavaite functions (the saivites did not want anything to do with them).

so, when opportunity for migrant labour arose re mauritius, west indies, these were among the first to volunteer. amazing isn't it? those brahmin widows of yore, among the first of the desis to cross the kala pani!!

the jobs assigned for them in the sugar plantations was to sieve the sugar. but, it also gave them another chance of life. away from the indian shores, and relatives, these married again, and provided the foundations for the indian communities of maurities, trinidad, guyana et al.

Sir, if you do not mind, cud you share the name of the book with me. Me too wud like to read it. Sounds very interesting. Its a case of Vasudaiva kutumbam again :)

the best diaspora migration novel i have read so far is amitav ghosh's 'sea of poppies'.

this one does not allude to the brahmin widows, but a very fascinating story of the start of the migration of a few, from bihar and bengal to mauritiius en route to west indies.

this is one of a trio.

the other book, i will let you know this evening (our time) when i go home.

To pannvalan sir, to identify a trueguru Siddhaar Tirumoolar says in his poems.Pl read that,and also he will not do miracles.s.r.k.

To say Guru will evolve side by side automatically is incorrect. It implies that guru is in the making. Guru could have become a fully accomplished spiritual persona by the time, your search begins.

Another point is, usually it is the disciple (would be) who goes in search of his/her guru. No doubt, a guru who is a 'trikala gnani' identifies his new disciple at the first sight, if the seeker is worthy of it.

There is nothing wrong to say that one can test the quality of so many gurus, before finally selecting and accepting one among them.

rvr,

My grandfather expired around 60 years back at the age of 70. My great grandmother must have been around 25 to 30 years older than my grandfather considering the child marriages prevailing at that time. She would have been born after 1850 or so.

She took up spiritual activity voluntarily without any compulsion which my village elders confirm. After losing her husband at a very young age leaving just my grandfather without much of property, she preferred spiritual life. She could have managed a simple life at my village with my grand father but somehow she took up spiritual path.

All the best

in varnasi that times ,1200 years back,many whores were there,who were widows at young age.they too wore a garb of spirituality to hoodwink public.in fact,dancing girls were part of temple administratons,and like kula kalvi thittam,a whores child continued to be a whore.in north indian society such gharanas were existant.marriage is nothing but a legalised prostitution,would be a very crude and rude way of writings.

Sri Pannvalan,

Thanks for your poem.

It is my earnest feeling that a Guru will evolve during the course of a spiritual journey.

One need not have to identify a Guru and then start a spiritual journey.

My own great grand mother lost her husband at a very early age. She left my grand father to my great grand uncle and went for spiritual journey visiting temples. It seems she was going after temples and doing all sorts sundry services like cleaning etc. She didn't had a Guru except our traditional family Guru -HH Sankaracharya. But when she returned from Banaras at a very old age, She was considered as a Guru by many of our villagers.

Even today our family members consider Her as Guru apart from our traditonal Gurus - HH Sankaracharyas.

For a true seeker of God, a Guru will evolve in due course through the grace of God and we don't have to go after a Guru

All the best

Sri RVR ji,

For sure your great grand mother need to be considered as guru, being herself in spiritual journey right from early age of her life. Its not a simple thing for any young men and women to live in salvation during the early stages of life. For her devotion to God, apart from her attitude and purity, she need to be revered by every member of the family.

For me, I personally feel that any person whom I come across in my life, who all are composed, humble, having good heart, sweet & soft, loving the people around and leading a disciplined life are all my Gurus, to be considered as role model for my life journey besides my love and prayers to almighty until I reach the horizon, in my attempt to get merged with the supreme God once for all.

To RVR sir, Without a guru no one can progress in spiritual journy.Each one should try for a guru.Only those marked souls will blessed to get guru. As for C.Ravis last line "to get merged with the supreme God once for all" he must seek a True Guru and follow his teaching that is inward journey. Once the inward journey started lot of inner experience will accour and one day the soul will merge with Lord. s.r.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back