• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ideas . . . Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

But, those who are really orthodox, don't approve of my idea! :sad:

I think the reason for that is because Madisar is seen as a part of a culture and it symbolises a married women and gives her an identity and I feel that is the reason they do not approve it.

My family also will not approve it under any circumstance, do I feel that is the reason.

Dear Daksha,

In olden days, ladies were NOT wearing panties and needed an all-in-one saree! The kachcham was like panties.

My idea is to simplify living and still have the traditional look! 'orE kallula reNdu mAngA' is what I like. :thumb:

Elders thought that the madisAr or panchakacham or dhOthi should be one piece ONLY, without any stitches.

Now, even for men, ready made panchus are being sold and many mAmAs are happy! :dance:

BTW, cut and stitch at the backside of a blouse was forbidden those days. We all know how many stitches some of

the modern blouses have! Picture courtesy: Google images.

images

Dear Daksha,

In olden days, ladies were NOT wearing panties and needed an all-in-one saree! The kachcham was like panties.

My idea is to simplify living and still have the traditional look! 'orE kallula reNdu mAngA' is what I like. :thumb:

Elders thought that the madisAr or panchakacham or dhOthi should be one piece ONLY, without any stitches.

Now, even for men, ready made panchus are being sold and many mAmAs are happy! :dance:

BTW, cut and stitch at the backside of a blouse was forbidden those days. We all know how many stitches some of

the modern blouses have! Picture courtesy: Google images.

images

They told me aswell that when a Madisar is properly worn there is no need for a blouse as well.

And my blouse covers me properly, there is no window at the back. ??

The sleeve runs almost my elbow

And there is only about 1 inch gap between my shoulder and neck.

So it covers me completely.

I know the stitched ones are easy to wear but I do not have that option.

I can make only four pleats, if it is a five and half meter saree. But now a days six meter sarees are available;

so I am able to make seven to eight pleats. A saree with double side border is necessary to make Easy madisAr.

But, those who are really orthodox, don't approve of my idea! :sad:
hi

somebody pure agraharam madisar.....vadama madisar famous....madisar can diffine iyer/iyengar....iyengar madisar are different

so famous word....வடமால் கட்டு ...வாத்திமால் செட்டு ....மடிசார் பின்னாடி கோசம் நல்ல தெரியணும்....

Which is the best place to get kancheepuram Madisar. I have my kurai pudavai and 4 others, but because of my situation I need a few may around 10

Is there is a must that kurai pudavai must be in red, I have seen Brahmin brides with different colours. ??

The red kurai pudavai is very very expensive, mine is around 31,250 I think

Koorai pudavai in 'arakku' color (slightly darker than red) is traditional one but mambazham color with arakku border

and parrot green with arakku border are also today's favorites. :)

The cost of the silk saree depends on the weight of yarns used and the purity of zari used. Thinner sarees with artificial zari

might be cheaper. Better to visit a few shops and compare the prices and then buy.

Koorai pudavai in 'arakku' color (slightly darker than red) is traditional one but mambazham color with arakku border

and parrot green with arakku border are also today's favorites. :)

May be our family is a traditional, they wanted to stick to traditional arakku/ red

The cost of the silk saree depends on the weight of yarns used and the purity of zari used. Thinner sarees with artificial zari

might be cheaper. Better to visit a few shops and compare the prices and then buy.

I checked the sarees are around 850 grams plus and the zari is pure, I will try to upload the pics if I can

I was wondering if I could get in touch with the whole seller they might be able to give a cheaper price, all are 12,000 plus

I will give you an idea. I do not know if it will appeal.

Many donate silk sarees -including kanjeevarams to vaishnavite temple -triplicane parthasarathy temple is one.

After putting on Gods/Goddesses Long dhoties and nine yard sarees for a day or so , they auction it off at highly discounted price

Most temple priests / wivescollect their pick from it for daily use.

It gets sold for as low as 3 to 4 thousands.

Many find their way back to saree shops for sale as it is new mostly.

Even cotton ones are auctioned for a few hundreds

I found the same in kumbakonam temples.

I watched the proceedings at auctions in chennai and kumbakonam.

Something unusual in temples of tamilnadu

Last edited:
I will give you an idea. I do not know if it will appeal.

Many donate silk sarees -including kanjeevarams to vaishnavite temple -triplicane parthasarathy temple is one.

After putting on Gods/Goddesses Long dhoties and nine yard sarees for a day or so , they auction it off at highly discounted price

Most temple priests / wivescollect their pick from it for daily use.

It gets sold for as low as 3 to 4 thousands.

Many find their way back to saree shops for sale as it is new mostly.

Even cotton ones are auctioned for a few hundreds

I found the same in kumbakonam temples.

I watched the proceedings at auctions in chennai and kumbakonam.

Something unusual in temples of tamilnadu

I am not sure about the idea of buying sarees that has been used in statutes at temples.

Must check though, also I must check the length though because some are 9 yards and some are 10 yards.

During my school days, this type of zari came into being! :baby:

We sisters had one blouse each in the brocade material, which we fondly named as 'Cleopatra jarigai'! It used to be rough in

those days but now, with the new machine weaving, the zari is very soft and never fades in color or becomes blackish. I am

crazy about dressing up well at home and hence have accumulated about five dozen poly silk sarees with this kind of zari. ;)

Cost of each saree is < 500/- :cool:

I am crazy about dressing up well at home and hence have accumulated about five dozen poly silk sarees with this kind of zari. ;)

Cost of each saree is < 500/- :cool:

Is it still less than 500/-????

5 dozen means you have 60 of those, do you wear Madisar at home aswell like me.

I hope the ones on the link must be okay

......... 5 dozen means you have 60 of those, do you wear Madisar at home aswell like me. ....
OMG! Not those long ones, Daksha! I wrote about the collection of six yards saree!

Since the maintenance is very easy and good combinations appear like silk sarees, I opt for them.

I wear one of the four two piece madisArs that I have stitched, only on special occasions. :)

OMG! Not those long ones, Daksha! I wrote about the collection of six yards saree!

Since the maintenance is very easy and good combinations appear like silk sarees, I opt for them.

I wear one of the four two piece madisArs that I have stitched, only on special occasions. :)

You only have those 4 or you have unstitched as well ?

I presume the the kurai pudavai will not be stitched !!

You only have those 4 or you have unstitched as well ?

I presume the the kurai pudavai will not be stitched !!
You are correct, Daksha!

My koorai pudavai is still in tact! Maroon with pure zari. :)

The two piece madisAr is my recent invention - easy to wear at my age. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back