• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to rationalise Purohit services and make it more transparent and justified

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should be well versed in Sanskrit, to do a roaring business!

I have heard a vAdhyAr say, 'akAla mrtyu karaNam', replacing 'h' with 'k' in 'haraNam' and entirely changing the meaning! :shocked:

Most of the Bs who are performing 'nithya karma', have no knowledge in Sanskrit. Hence, even a mis-spelt mantra will not have any affect, and the kartha will not pay more or less according to knowledge in Sanskrit.

Most of the Bs who are performing 'nithya karma', have no knowledge in Sanskrit. Hence, even a mis-spelt mantra will not have any affect, and the kartha will not pay more or less according to knowledge in Sanskrit.
​That is not an excuse, Sir! :nono:

I feel that some Sanskrit + Tamil scholars can translate these mantrAs for easy understanding.

It will be a great service to the society. :)

P.S: The Sanskrit is 'arai vEkkadu' prohits can give theertham saying, 'VAzga vaLamudan!' :cool:

A relative young boy of me is now a practising purohit in Chennai.

He has taken as his role model an elder who studied in his school.

This elder "Anna", as he is called by this boy, planned everything quite well. He studied well upto graduation. By the time he passed the degree exam. he had already completed learning his own veda from a teacher. Next he studied sama veda too from another pun dit along with prayoga mantras.

Then he left to one of India's prime metropolis and is n ow an established vadhyar there. He is well to do now.

This boy has a diffferent plan. He too has completed his school education and vedadhyayanam of his veda. He is now studying another veda along with Divyaprabhandam and pancharathra Agamam. His aim is to go to U.S. Howzaat!!

........... This boy has a diffferent plan. He too has completed his school education and vedadhyayanam of his veda. He is now studying another veda along with Divyaprabhandam and pancharathra Agamam. His aim is to go to U.S. Howzaat!!
:thumb:

It is very true: 'katrOrukkuch chendra idamellAm siRappu!'

I feel that some Sanskrit + Tamil scholars can translate these mantrAs for easy understanding.

It will be a great service to the society. :)

P.S: The Sanskrit is 'arai vEkkadu' prohits can give theertham saying, 'VAzga vaLamudan!' :cool:

Well said. At least Karthas could understand what they are doing.

Well said. At least Karthas could understand what they are doing.
We had an Arya samAj type wedding in my extended family.

The hOmam fire was cute in its small size and the rituals were for about one hour.

The prOhit translated each of the mantrAs in English and we all could understand what exactly was happening! :)

A book in english captioned " The Grihya Sutras" , the rules for Vedic domestic ceremonies, Translated by HERMANN OLDENBERG, in 1886 for most of the ceremonies, are available in internet archieves,site .sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe30/sbe30002.htm. Also at another site, ramanan50.wordpress.com/tag/srardham/, the writer gives english, tamil translations, and FAQs on many of our rituals/ceremonies with various codes like dress code, food code, time code, etiquete code etc. those who wish to have english/tamil/sanskrit version of these vedic ceremonies may search and download the respective functions, go through and comment.

​That is not an excuse, Sir! :nono:

The situation becomes very tense everywhere and everyone is chasing money for survival. Hence, the prohits are no exception. If we want prohits to be very perfect in their performance, the same applies to one and all.

Bs have developed a tendency, thinking that those who involve in religious matters are supposed to be perfect, without bothering about income and living condition, as it is their fate. Such attitude has to change.

When you preside over a large family with thinking ranging from no interest in rituals to to total commitment to rituals in a traditional way it is a strain . I am no

believer in rituals .I attended a funeral of a sibling where the the traditional purohit played hard to get and we were kept waiting more than one hour a crematorium by a

insensitive purohit in delhi.The experience was so bad that thebrchildren ofthe dead decided to not perform any rituals beyong te tenth day. and opted for for

discourses by a snskrit scholar in memory of the dead. I also participated in a sathabishikam of sibling in kolkatta conducted by three purohits who had travelled fom

tirupathi to kolkatta for the function . My sibling spent a huge sum for the function.I have become totally inert and participate in both without fine feelings for either

being an utter non believer in rituals of any sort. Being a hindu helps. One can reconcile with both and carry on.lol,

A book in english captioned " The Grihya Sutras" , the rules for Vedic domestic ceremonies, Translated by HERMANN OLDENBERG, in 1886 for most of the ceremonies, are available in internet archieves,site .sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe30/sbe30002.htm. Also at another site, ramanan50.wordpress.com/tag/srardham/, the writer gives english, tamil translations, and FAQs on many of our rituals/ceremonies with various codes like dress code, food code, time code, etiquete code etc. those who wish to have english/tamil/sanskrit version of these vedic ceremonies may search and download the respective functions, go through and comment.

Dear Mr.asadu,

It appears from your post in the thread that your nick name "asadu" is attributable for you making others... "asadu".

Respected yesmohan sir,

I joined the forum in 2010, but before that too, i was regularly visiting this forum. When I decided that i could devote some time, i became a member. But again, due to preoccupation, i could not regularly visit the forum and read all the posts. I still feel that i am peanuts before many of you, learned devout members contributing to our community in many ways. When I read many of your posts, I concluded that I am nowhere near you people in knowledge and dedication, so I decided to call myself, "asadu". I do not intend to hurt, cheat, impost any member of our community.

Whenever, i read any critical post on many issues, I could not control my urge to reply, but somehow, I resist my urge. I am collecting many information on our community rituals, and once I get hold of enough material, i will combine in an orderly manner and post all of them here for the benefit of our community. I also agree with many of our members' views, but it may take some more time for me to gather courage to express my opinions.

Thanks for the observation.

Dear friend..........Mr.asadu,

I will tell you one truth. Please don't reveal it to anybody. I am also an "asadu" like you.
But I do not have that magnanimity to proclaim this to the outer world.

Your statement reminds me of the version Matthew 23:12 in Old Testament, which says:

Whosever shall exalth himself shall be abased (humbled); and whosoever humbleth himself shall be exalted (glorified).

Generally, such modest, humble, persons like you are most esteemed among men; and God bless more grace to such rare quality.

Wishing you all the best for your endeavours.

Last edited:
Of late, purohit services has become like that of a contractor.
Well, what else is he? a conduit to God?

A fixed sum is collected with no accountability.
We should know what we ask for. If you talk about accountability then it behoves on us to acquire the necessary know-how for the rituals requested. Moreover it becomes more businesslike than it is currently, and possibly the fee may go higher!

We should have a forum where purohits are registered and a rate list must be given for each ritual. The purohits can be divided spending upon their educations and seniority. There must be some accountability and grievance redressal system. If a purohit does a disinterested or casual job, we dont have a forum to complain. We dont even know whether what we pay is correct and whether it really is justified and whether it really goes to the right person.
Why should a purohit register or form an association? The business of purohitam is necessarily belief based. And belief changes with people; and with time. The rate of a fruit or vegetable is different when purchased directly from farmers, or the grocery shops of from big malls. Similarly, the purohit charges different rates, for the same contract, depending on the depth of the purse. What is wrong in this?

A reform is required and we should know why we pay a certain fees and how justified it is. Reform is required in this direction.
Please reform your belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back